Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (552382 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Haggai92: 9:15am On Feb 20, 2022
Spider20:

I don't think your output response on the reason Norwegian Embassy doesn't issue visa to undergraduate candidates is true ok
No one knows the reason,and that's best to them.
They don't award/give undergraduate visa to foreigners irrespective of your country.
They only issue such to EU,EEA and permanent residents living in Norway.
So I guess your Zimbabwean friend is a product of permanent residence permit.

It's really funny how you know my friend more than me. Well, everyone to his/her opinion.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by KillerBeauty(f): 11:27am On Feb 20, 2022
Spider20:

I don't think your output response on the reason Norwegian Embassy doesn't issue visa to undergraduate candidates is true ok
No one knows the reason,and that's best to them.
They don't award/give undergraduate visa to foreigners irrespective of your country.
They only issue such to EU,EEA and permanent residents living in Norway.
So I guess your Zimbabwean friend is a product of permanent residence permit.
You know the clause in UDI about undergraduate students not been eligible for visa doesn't apply to all countries right.
Because I checked and it doesn't apply to Zimbabwe.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Spider20: 12:54pm On Feb 20, 2022
KillerBeauty:

You know the clause in UDI about undergraduate students not been eligible for visa doesn't apply to all countries right.
Because I checked and it doesn't apply to Zimbabwe.
I think everything balls down to the university of choice, Nord university and University of Stavanger stated it clear by sending me a mail that irrespective of one's country it is extremely difficult granting him/her a undergraduate degree visa/Residence permit.
Definitely there's no harm trying, coming Next application dates am gonna give it a try
(Nord university)
Choice of study
(Norwegian Language for one year)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Samoluv(m): 4:03pm On Feb 20, 2022
God help us.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Femiomoh(m): 11:08pm On Feb 25, 2022
Hi guys,
How many days,weeks or months are given to pay the proof of funds after the release of admission letter?

Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ayodeji1998: 9:14am On Feb 26, 2022
It's usually 3-4 weeks. Last year because I was given early admission I was given about 6 weeks. Also last year because it was a pandemic year my school UIS kept extending the deadline up to June for those who wanted to transfer the funds.
Femiomoh:
Hi guys,
How many days,weeks or months are given to pay the proof of funds after the release of admission letter?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Hsnyii: 10:51am On Mar 02, 2022
Hello guys, hope everyone is having a good day I appreciate the support from everyone, I’m a final year student (Engineering) here in Nigeria with the intent of going abroad to further my education,

I need help as to what requirements I should have (academically and financially) ? I’m very new to the whole concept of going overseas to further, but Norway/Poland are countries that I’ve always had in mind.
By financially I meant just about how much would be enough to settle in comfortably without too much hassle.

All guidelines and walkthrough would be highly appreciated.
P.S: I’m very new to the whole thing so please a basic explanation would be highly appreciated thanks in advance.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by odimbannamdi(m): 10:58am On Mar 02, 2022
Haggai92:

Generally to all who applied last year, you have taken the bold step and I believe your admission letters are being prepared. I wish I was here earlier to advice during the admission rounds, nevertheless like they say "better late than never".
Am sure most of you had multiple applications, because not every where in Norway is "okay" from my experience. Just like Nigeria, location plays a big role, you can't compare Lagos to Kwara or ebonyi (I mean no disrespect).
Thus, if you have applications sent to UIO,OSLOMET,UIS,UIB,NMBU maybe NTNU and UIA kindly prioritize accepting their admission over any other schools. These areas are developed or in close proximity to developed cities.
Please if you will borrow, go for interest free loans (it could really be difficult in the first 3months of your stay getting a job especially if you're not staying in Oslo or Stavanger).
In all, Norway is a good place and I will encourage anyone to come but have a "plan" (it's not so easy staying back after graduation tbh).
This is my little inexhaustive contribution. I'll try to reply some "important" questions because most of the questions asked here have already been answered in the thread, some people just find it difficult reading previous pages.
Cheers!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience, bro. We do appreciate.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Samoluv(m): 5:23pm On Mar 07, 2022
Please comrades how long does Form A payment for school fees takes before the school receives the money? and is it the cheapest regards rate and finally which Nigerian bank is trusted to do it without much stress? Please your experience let's learn o. This forum is too silent. It should be buzzing by now o

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ayodeji1998: 6:25pm On Mar 07, 2022
When I did mine I was really lucky . I applied through Uba on Thursday and on Monday my account had been debited sent a proof of documents to the school and 48hrs after I got a confirmation from the school that they have received the funds. For some of my friends it took about 1-4 weeks for their form A to be approved . It just depends on the time you apply
Samoluv:
Please comrades how long does Form A payment for school fees takes before the school receives the money? and is it the cheapest regards rate and finally which Nigerian bank is trusted to do it without much stress? Please your experience let's learn o. This forum is too silent. It should be buzzing by now o
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Samoluv(m): 7:01pm On Mar 07, 2022
Woow I must confess u're really lucky o. 1-2days compared to 4weeks. Is there any documents the bank will require?
Ayodeji1998:
When I did mine I was really lucky . I applied through Uba on Thursday and on Monday my account had been debited sent a proof of documents to the school and 48hrs after I got a confirmation from the school that they have received the funds. For some of my friends it took about 1-4 weeks for their form A to be approved . It just depends on the time you apply

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Layo20: 7:30pm On Mar 07, 2022
Hello house. I'm glad stumbling on this page. Pls I need someone who's fluent or partially learned in Norwegian and can teach me. I'll like to go for my master program in Norway later but pending that time, I want someone that can teach me the langue. Thanks in advance. I can be reached on homeoflayo@gmail.com
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nicholator: 5:25am On Mar 08, 2022
You can learn the language via Duolingo, it's very easy
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ebdumi: 1:47pm On Mar 08, 2022
Good day everyone, what is the possibility of getting a permit to stay in Norway after study

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Tonero0147: 1:49pm On Mar 08, 2022
University of South-Eastern Norway
International Admission Status is out ....

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Mobiyinogal: 1:58pm On Mar 08, 2022
Tonero0147:

Tonero0147:

did you get admission.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Linzo(m): 5:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
Haggai92:

Generally to all who applied last year, you have taken the bold step and I believe your admission letters are being prepared. I wish I was here earlier to advice during the admission rounds, nevertheless like they say "better late than never".
Am sure most of you had multiple applications, because not every where in Norway is "okay" from my experience. Just like Nigeria, location plays a big role, you can't compare Lagos to Kwara or ebonyi (I mean no disrespect).
Thus, if you have applications sent to UIO,OSLOMET,UIS,UIB,NMBU maybe NTNU and UIA kindly prioritize accepting their admission over any other schools. These areas are developed or in close proximity to developed cities.
Please if you will borrow, go for interest free loans (it could really be difficult in the first 3months of your stay getting a job especially if you're not staying in Oslo or Stavanger).
In all, Norway is a good place and I will encourage anyone to come but have a "plan" (it's not so easy staying back after graduation tbh).
This is my little inexhaustive contribution. I'll try to reply some "important" questions because most of the questions asked here have already been answered in the thread, some people just find it difficult reading previous pages.
Cheers!!

Hello comrade, please I want you to please explain more on this point "(it's not so easy staying back after graduation tbh". You know our intension for japa is not to come back but rather stay back and get a greener pasture over their.

Now, how difficult is it to stay back in Norway after study? and what step can one take before time to ease the difficulty in settling back after school.

Are their Nigerians who settle back in Norway after study and what is the percentage.

What about getting job after study? Is their enough available jobs that even as a foreigner, you won't have to stay long after graduation before landing a professional job.

What skill is mostly selling over? Sorry for my many question bro, just want to get prepared and be sure of what I'm about to embarked on

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Tonero0147: 7:22pm On Mar 08, 2022
No dull yourself .......

Hello comrade, please I want you to please explain more on this point "(it's not so easy staying back after graduation tbh". You know our intension for japa is not to come back but rather stay back and get a greener pasture over their.

Now, how difficult is it to stay back in Norway after study? and what step can one take before time to ease the difficulty in settling back after school.

Are their Nigerians who settle back in Norway after study and what is the percentage.

What about getting job after study? Is their enough available jobs that even as a foreigner, you won't have to stay long after graduation before landing a professional job.

What skill is mostly selling over? Sorry for my many question bro, just want to get prepared and be sure of what I'm about to embarked on[/quote]
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Omini247: 6:19pm On Mar 09, 2022
Hello Mr cuteTj and everyone currently in Norway pls how are you all fairing I read somewhere just now that Russia shares a border with Norway ....and I can't just stop thinking...this is not to ignite any fear of any sort...but to clear off my curiosity pls what is Norway's take on the invasion and even more info if any .....

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by toyin03(f): 6:54pm On Mar 09, 2022
Omini247:
Hello Mr cutecj and everyone currently in Norway pls how are you all fairing I read somewhere just now that Russia shares a border with Norway ....and I can't just stop thinking...this is not to ignite any fear of any sort...but to clear off my curiosity pls what is Norway's take on the invasion and even more info if any .....
border bawo na? At least check the map to confirm. I haven't heard mention of Norway since all these started, so no news is good news.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Samoluv(m): 7:49pm On Mar 09, 2022
Norway is a long country located in Northern Europe – with borders to Sweden, Finland and Russia on the east side, and an extensive coastline facing the North Atlantic Ocean on the west side however, Norway is among the founding members of NATO and as such couldn't be in support of the Russia invasion.
Omini247:
Hello Mr cutecj and everyone currently in Norway pls how are you all fairing I read somewhere just now that Russia shares a border with Norway ....and I can't just stop thinking...this is not to ignite any fear of any sort...but to clear off my curiosity pls what is Norway's take on the invasion and even more info if any .....
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Omini247: 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2022
Samoluv:
Norway is a long country located in Northern Europe – with borders to Sweden, Finland and Russia on the east side, and an extensive coastline facing the North Atlantic Ocean on the west side however, Norway is among the founding members of NATO and as such couldn't be in support of the Russia invasion.
Pls what is the weight of Norway's nuclear defense

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Haggai92: 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2022
Linzo:

What skill is mostly selling over? Sorry for my many question bro, just want to get prepared and be sure of what I'm about to embarked on

Hello, I would start by saying that there are 3 ways of staying back here. One is by getting a corporate job mostly within your field of study, secondly is through PHd, and finally by marriage to a Schengen citizen/ permanent resident.

The first which is getting a job is not easy because there are so many underlying factors that come into play e.g language (you have to be very proficient in Norwegian, both speaking and reading), racial bias, and discipline. Most people end up being disqualified by one or all of these factors, except for those in the "sought after" disciplines like engineering, IT, Data Science etc. With a degree in these disciplines your chances are much higher than those in the administrative courses.

Secondly, getting a PhD position is not easy to come by either because your grades have to be excellent all through your studies, even if you do get the grades the PhD positions are always very few slots maybe just 2 in a department and you have to compete with other good European brains as well for the position.

Finally is the marriage, and believe me when I say that marrying a Norwegian is so rare that no one even considers it. Unless maybe it's a black who was born here or a European that is living here permanently maybe a swedish or polish. It's not even advisable unless maybe you find "love".

Nigerians don't stay back here after studies, most of them save up and move to Canada or UK from here. So it's just like a transit point. The few that are here came here a long time ago when Europe was still very liberal.

If you want to stay you must be prepared to learn the language, have good grades and pray for God's favor.

I don't know if I answered all your questions but this is how far I can go.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by laivwire(m): 8:49am On Mar 11, 2022
Ayodeji1998:
Hello Ayo, I'd like to ask. Will your block funds be released to you entirely upon your arrival in Norway or you can only withdraw a certain sum this month? Thanks in anticipation
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Samoluv(m): 12:02pm On Mar 11, 2022
According to my research online its said that you can transfer all your money into your Norwegian bank account when u arrive in Norway and that's after you might have opened ur own account in Norway.
laivwire:

Hello Ayo, I'd like to ask. Will your block funds be released to you entirely upon your arrival in Norway or you can only withdraw a certain sum this month? Thanks in anticipation
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by laivwire(m): 12:27pm On Mar 11, 2022
Samoluv:
According to my research online its said that you can transfer all your money into your Norwegian bank account when u arrive in Norway and that's after you might have opened ur own account in Norway.
Thanks Samoluv. I've taken time to go through past pages and your answer corellates. Thanks much

Ayodeji1998:
One more question to the house though, I learned on the German student thread that applying through Form A can be a regrettable mistake now as they will delay payment for extended periods. That it pays to get your currency swapped at a BDC, open a Dom account (preferably with Access bank) and do the transfer. Does anyone have a recent experience with this?

Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by KillerBeauty(f): 4:24pm On Mar 11, 2022
laivwire:

Thanks Samoluv. I've taken time to go through past pages and your answer corellates. Thanks much

One more question to the house though, I learned on the German student thread that applying through Form A can be a regrettable mistake now as they will delay payment for extended periods. That it pays to get your currency swapped at a BDC, open a Dom account (preferably with Access bank) and do the transfer. Does anyone have a recent experience with this?

Thanks
Paying from Dom account is the fastest route but more expensive
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by laivwire(m): 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2022
KillerBeauty:

Paying from Dom account is the fastest route but more expensive
Thanks, I'll take my chances with the Form A. The difference in costs between the channels is quite significant.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Linzo(m): 10:18pm On Mar 11, 2022
Haggai92:

Hello, I would start by saying that there are 3 ways of staying back here. One is by getting a corporate job mostly within your field of study, secondly is through PHd, and finally by marriage to a Schengen citizen/ permanent resident.

The first which is getting a job is not easy because there are so many underlying factors that come into play e.g language (you have to be very proficient in Norwegian, both speaking and reading), racial bias, and discipline. Most people end up being disqualified by one or all of these factors, except for those in the "sought after" disciplines like engineering, IT, Data Science etc. With a degree in these disciplines your chances are much higher than those in the administrative courses.

Secondly, getting a PhD position is not easy to come by either because your grades have to be excellent all through your studies, even if you do get the grades the PhD positions are always very few slots maybe just 2 in a department and you have to compete with other good European brains as well for the position.

Finally is the marriage, and believe me when I say that marrying a Norwegian is so rare that no one even considers it. Unless maybe it's a black who was born here or a European that is living here permanently maybe a swedish or polish. It's not even advisable unless maybe you find "love".

Nigerians don't stay back here after studies, most of them save up and move to Canada or UK from here. So it's just like a transit point. The few that are here came here a long time ago when Europe was still very liberal.

If you want to stay you must be prepared to learn the language, have good grades and pray for God's favor.

I don't know if I answered all your questions but this is how far I can go.
Thank you so much for this clarification. In fact you answered all my questions in a clear form. Thanks ones more

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 12:36am On Mar 16, 2022
Haggai92:

Boss you still visit this page ��� Greetings to you. You and the other pioneer members of this page have helped alot of us that are in Norway now through your valuable contributions. May God reward you.
Thank you for your kind words. Blessings to you!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 12:54am On Mar 16, 2022
Hsnyii:
Hello guys, hope everyone is having a good day I appreciate the support from everyone, I’m a final year student (Engineering) here in Nigeria with the intent of going abroad to further my education,

I need help as to what requirements I should have (academically and financially) ? I’m very new to the whole concept of going overseas to further, but Norway/Poland are countries that I’ve always had in mind.
By financially I meant just about how much would be enough to settle in comfortably without too much hassle.

All guidelines and walkthrough would be highly appreciated.
P.S: I’m very new to the whole thing so please a basic explanation would be highly appreciated thanks in advance.
I can't speak for Poland, but in Norway you have to document funds of 126 357 NOK (aprox. 5.8 million naira) per academic year. As I've said previously, this sum is actually considered to be below the poverty treshold in Norway (to give some perspective). You will be comfortable, but the price of garri will shock you.

I recommend you research different countries (climate, culture, language etc.) and pick the ones that fit your needs. The process is to do this research first, check the application requirements at your institution(s) of choice , apply online and cross your fingers. That's the most basic summary of what you have to do.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Samoluv(m): 9:44am On Mar 16, 2022
Lolxx; do you mean that even those considered to be poor in Norway earn/spend more than 126,357NOK yearly?

[author=StarFlux post=111075094]I can't speak for Poland, but in Norway you have to document funds of 126 357 NOK (aprox. 5.8 million naira) per academic year. As I've said previously, this sum is actually considered to be below the poverty treshold in Norway (to give some perspective). You will be comfortable, but the price of garri will shock you.

I recommend you research different countries (climate, culture, language etc.) and pick the ones that fit your needs. The process is to do this research first, check the application requirements at your institution(s) of choice , apply online and cross your fingers. That's the most basic summary of what you have to do.[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (154) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.