Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,884 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? (1049 Views)

Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. / 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2015

Hey! Teempakguy here!

You're probably shocked. Trust me, I am. I've been actively trying to write an article for the past fortnight. But . . . inspiration refused to shine. . . .

What if instead of inspiration, THE SUN refused to shine?

I present to you, my longest post ever! grin

On the 22th of July, 2009, an eclipse that lasted six minutes and thirty-nine seconds became acquired the record of being the longest eclipse . . . in the 21st century, of course.

But an eclipse is nothing compared to what would actually happen if the sun actually stopped shining.
There was a rumor recently that in November, the sun would stop shining for fifteen days. Based on some pseudoscience explanation. Meh. That can never happen.
But what if it did? What if something happened to the sun and it stopped shining for fourteen days?

Well, first off, light takes eight minutes and twenty seconds to reach the earth. This means, if the sun has actually stopped shining RIGHT NOW, you wouldn't know.
You would know in eight minutes and twenty seconds. And depending on the way it died, the world could simply grow darker gradually or everywhere could become abruptly dark!

So what next?

DAY ONE

Oh well, there would be pandemonium. grin
Conspiracy theorists and religious fanatics. Science will be dumbfounded. Because according to science, the sun can NEVER EVER EVER EVER go dark. Not even if you empty all the planets in the solar system into it. angry
So, if it went dark, the fanatics who have been at loggerheads with us will have the upperhand. From the flat-earth society to the ufologists to doomsday prophets. There are many accounts of the sun going dark in the bible. So, yeah, we're screwed from there as well. grin grin

Crime will drastically increase as well. Humans find it to be difficult to in maintain decorum and peace in unexpected situations. Rape and robberies and all that shit will totally occur. Many people will also die from shock. I mean, for crying out loud, it's the God dammed sun that just went out!
Some people will also expect the sun to come back to life. But, oh well, I guess not.

DAY TWO

Having passed the night without the appearance of the moon anywhere in the world,(the moon runs on sun juice, guys.)
Scientists will begin to make assumptions. Of course, we will know that the sun is still there. The tides of the ocean being a major sign. So, where is the light?
It doesn't make sense. How can something the size of the sun suddenly stop shining while still retaining it's mass?

Many satellites, including the ISS will . . . stop working. grin this one will pain johnydon22 very well. cheesy
Anybody stranded on those space stations WILL DIE. (Oh man.)
We will be able to observe the stars like never before. Their brilliance will be astounding! But I guess no one will be in them mood. sad

Small plants and the animals that feed on them will start to die off. Some resilient ones will survive of course. But not for long. Not for long at all.
Back in human civilization, nothing much will change though. After the initial panic, a few solar power companies put of business, the world will progress as usual.

OR WILL IT? shocked shocked

DAY 3 TO DAY 6

Incandescent light bulbs Will most likely go extinct. They consume too much power. Florescent ones will instead propagate. Power supply will be roughly the same as it would be if the sun were there.(take THAT sun! Haahaha! angry )

Did I mention that the earth will start to cool?
Oops, my bad, earth will radiate it's energy into space. And because if this, it will cool down rapidly. Who's fearing global warming? grin grin
By the sixth day, the earth's temperature will have dropped several degrees. And we would have started to notice it. It will be just like a raining season thing over here, but not so much in Russia-north. Lots of folks will freeze to mummies. embarassed

DAY 7

Ironically, some idiots will celebrate this. undecided

"Humanity survives a week of no sun!" Or similar headlines will litter newspapers and stuff. People will start making T-shirts. Saying things like, "Buhari's body language working for sunless naija." grin grin
I know, I know, my bad sense of humor. sad

Meanwhile, nature herself won't find this funny at all. Many natural process will be interrupted. The clowds will disappear. Continuous rain will start to fall. Snow might even fall in naija. sad that rain is a bad thing.
The clouds hold an average of 1500 cubic miles of water over our heads. And then there's water vapour around. With the increasing cold, they will will fall back down as rain. Flooding many areas. And it's going to last for a long time too. And after this happened, there would be no humidity in the air. The reign of harmattan will begin.
Lips will crack, blinking eyes will blink faster . . . and wet clothes will stay wet.

DAY 8 to DAY 12

A mass extinction event begins.(drumroll.) Ghen ghen!! shocked shocked

Animals around the world will start to die off. The sahara desert would now be a swamp anyway, and many plants will probably we water logged. Those lizards that hide themselves under the sand will be bewildered like shiit.
Forests will take care of the water though. Giant trees will suck them up. Many forest animals will die off though. Especially the diurnal ones. Picked off one by one by the nocturnal bastards . . . grin grin grin

The cities are going to have a field day coping with all the shitty water. Like seriously, all the rain that fell will not dry at all. And every where will be so . . . so cold! Cleavages will disappear. Boobs will not be flaunted! Tonto dike will stop making front page!

In fact, I suspect that the temperature will be under 2° by day 12. In foreign countries, this won't be a problem. It's Africa that will suffer the most. UN and AU will be hard pressed for funds clothe these children. Mosquitoes, breeding on stagnant water from the rain will attack in droves. cry cry

Far off near the polar ice caps, the oceans will begin to freeze over. Of course, the sun disappearing does squat to ocean life. In fact, 90% of marine life wouldn't know anything happened. Aquatic mammals on the other hand . . . such as dolphins and whales, who cannot breathe underwater will not like this at all. The ocean freezing over wouldn't be nice at all. And eventually, they would migrate to the equator. Which would still be warmer. This is because the atmosphere doesn't conduct heat well. Even after the sun was gone, the heat wouldn't spread evenly. Cool, right?

DAY 13 AND DAY 14

By now, science has probably found out what happened. But let's assume they haven't. To make things more interesting. grin
You-re probably wondering, so . . . . how are humans still alive . . . because without photo synthesis, oxygen goes, right?
Well, you're right. But the amount of oxygen in our atmosphere right now, is enough to last us for a millennium if photosynthesis stopped. Now.

Most plant species will have gone extinct. There are places around the world that store seeds in case the plants went extinct though. Also. Many animal species will have followed suit. The waters will have started to freeze. The earth will become a icy ball. So cold. Of course, in the oceans, life goes on. cool life which can survive for billions of years without the sun. smiley

Food will most likely become a scarce commodity. Those Americans that waste food . . . they will start recycling poop. undecided undecided
Biscuits and meats will become the order of the day. If you tell your mom you want vegetable, she will slap your face because by then, it's probably costlier than her most costly gold necklace. Petroleum will be insanely expensive. People will start burning anything. From wood, to plastic, to other people. sad just for heat.

Nigeria will probably have to start building nuclear reactors. grin grin
Anyway, so much havoc will have been wreaked upon the earth. All in a desperate attempt to survive.

DAY 15: The SUN appears!

At this point, the human sight will have been so adapted to night life that the sunrise will seem life heaven. The whole world will jubilate. Churches will reopen for Thanksgiving. Humanity will finally have a reason to jubilate. The ISS will comeback online. cool
EPIC UPNEPA. grin
The warmth of the sun will start to melt off the frozen oceans. The plants that have survived will resume their business. And solar power companies will start working again. Although, they will have a hard time convincing people to by their products, the sun would no longer be a renewable source of energy. cheesy

It would take years to recover though. And we will never fully recover. Many species would have been lost forever. And many natural processes would have been permanently altered.

So, when next you look up at the sun, I hope you'll be able to appreciate it more than you do now. Because I sure do!

PS: incase a forgot something important, or made a mistake, please bring it to my attention. If you also have your own versions of what would happen, kindly post.

Cheers! smiley

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by adedayourt(m): 5:18pm On Sep 17, 2015
y
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 17, 2015
cheesy....my teem
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by NOBODYY: 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
Nice one man
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by dajoaneke(m): 5:49pm On Sep 17, 2015
Nice theory... to add to this,
1. The appearance of the sun will melt the ice on earth's surface and thereby cause another flood.
2> There will be alien species of plants that will find itself in other regions of the world, thereby creating a new ecological system from what was before the eclipse.
3. Be sure to see more people believe in God and many more wont accept him and blame him for every loss of loved ones.
4. Facebook and social network will be filled with selfies (Chillin' in the dark)
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by HolyHero: 6:26pm On Sep 17, 2015
I can't even begin to think what would happen..... we r talking about the almighty sun.. it can only happen when God cease to exist
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by freecocoa(f): 7:18pm On Sep 17, 2015
Lol, many people will die from fear of having missed rapture.grin grin grin
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 7:24pm On Sep 17, 2015
Wow. Nice write up.

I also want to add that, while some species are matching towards extinction, new species which will adapt to the new conditions will gradually evolve.
Nature will definitely find a way to replenish.
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 17, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol, many people will die from fear of having missed rapture.grin grin grin

grin grin grin
That will happen on day one.

By day three, they will realize pastor adeboye is still down here. So no rapture. cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 17, 2015
dajoaneke:
Nice theory... to add to this,
1. The appearance of the sun will melt the ice on earth's surface and thereby cause another flood.
2> There will be alien species of plants that will find itself in other regions of the world, thereby creating a new ecological system from what was before the eclipse.
3. Be sure to see more people believe in God and many more wont accept him and blame him for every loss of loved ones.
4. Facebook and social network will be filled with selfies (Chillin' in the dark)
cheesy cheesy
So true.
Especially number 1.
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 7:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
grin grin grin

By day three, they will realize pastor adeboye is still down here. So no rapture. cheesy cheesy
Lol. You are looking for trouble cheesy
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by freecocoa(f): 7:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
grin grin grin

The ones that died will not know this, it would be too late just like the bible said.
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 17, 2015
freecocoa:
The ones that died will not know this, it would be too late just like the bible said.
wicked! cheesy
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by freecocoa(f): 7:48pm On Sep 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
wicked! cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Dekatron(m): 8:18pm On Sep 17, 2015
Teempakguy, why not CC me when you posted!! I am cross at you.

I would not be able to sleep. I don't enjoy sleeping in the night.
2. I would be able to solder and desolder and simulate circuit on my laptop (yea, power would be good, lets ASSUME).
3. I would always go hungry. I eat alot when am awake esp when I am at school and I just see alert.
4. I would not be able to attend class!! Yea, I rarely attended classes last semester and my As would be plenty I hope.
5. I would teach teempakguy some lessons in ethics by coming over to lagos and spank him in the . . . . .
Whatever

Who cares if animals go extinct? When have I opened biology??
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
Oops! Sorry! embarassed
Dekatron:
Teempakguy, why not CC me when you posted!! I am cross at you.

I would not be able to sleep. I don't enjoy sleeping in the night.
2. I would be able to solder and desolder and simulate circuit on my laptop (yea, power would be good, lets ASSUME).
3. I would always go hungry. I eat alot when am awake esp when I am at school and I just see alert.
4. I would not be able to attend class!! Yea, I rarely attended classes last semester and my As would be plenty I hope.
5. I would teach teempakguy some lessons in ethics by coming over to lagos and spank him in the . . . . .
Whatever

Who cares if animals go extinct? When have I opened biology??
grin grin grin grin
Just answer this, would you buy those shirts on day 7? cheesy

Seems like you would. tongue
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by johnydon22(m): 9:06pm On Sep 17, 2015
But wait you just listed things that would b experienced down here.

If such a thing as the sun loosing it's heat and light occurs, the gravitation effect of the sun on this planetary system would be catastrophic.

Orbits will be so distorted that we may end up drifting farther away from the sun and if that happens we loose our goldilock zone and that simply is "Bye Bye princess, we are done for grin"

You have an over reactive imagination Teempakguy, about the satelites shutting down.

You are quite right, i will simply shut down with it grin . . No services, techs are virtually useless. We might as well go back to the stone ages. grin
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
At a setting time of the sun's disappearance, even our precious oxygen will precipitate first as due then later as snow. And I think hydrothermal area will still provide some form of heat remember that the interior of the earth is hot
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:39pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:

Orbits will be so distorted that we may end up drifting farther away from the sun and if that happens we loose our goldilock zone and that simply is "Bye Bye princess, we are done for grin"

You are right, infact due to the lack of gravity the earth will fly out in a straight line since there will be no distortion of spacetime in centre
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 4:33am On Sep 18, 2015
johnydon22:
But wait you just listed things that would b experienced down here.

If such a thing as the sun loosing it's heat and light occurs, the gravitation effect of the sun on this planetary system would be catastrophic.

You have an over reactive imagination Teempakguy, about the satelites shutting down.

You are quite right, i will simply shut down with it grin . . No services, techs are virtually useless. We might as well go back to the stone ages. grin
hahahaha. grin grin grin shut down ke? That's too extreme abeg. It's just for 14 days, we need you on the fifteenth. cheesy

About the gravity, the effects of gravity, as well as light, disappearing will have devastating effects. So I had to assume they didn't disappear as well,

But let's just assume for once that the sun's mass disappeared as well and hence no gravity.

Well, gravity as well travels at the speed of light. So, it would take eight minutes and twenty seconds for the effect to reach the earth. And that effect, would be that, the earth would instantly begin to travel in a straight line.
The ocean's would become a bit denser, of course, but oh well. That's almost unnoticeable.

Of course, the earth would move in a straight line for the just the stipulated fifteen days. grin

I took the liberty of calculating the consequence. We know that the earth is currently about 147 million kilometers from the sun. And covers a distance of about 1.6 million kilometers in a day. If the sun were to disappear. It would cover a total distance of 24 million kilometers in a tangential path.

So, to find the new orbit radius after the sun might have arrived, I joined the tangential path to the current orbit radius and joined them with a much longer line, resulting in a right angled triangle with opposite = 147million kilometers, adjacent = 24 million kilometers. And hypotenuse = the new orbit.

Using Pythagoras theorem, I finally deduced that the new orbit radius would actually be smaller! With the earth standing at just 144 million kilometers from the sun! cheesy cheesy

But that's nothing to worry about. It is well in the goldilocks zone. grin so, no bye bye princess. cheesy
We're sticking around for much longer. cool cool
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by DaBullIT(m): 7:14am On Sep 18, 2015
i

am

coming
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Emmyk(m): 8:04am On Sep 18, 2015
I'll read your post when I finish brushing my teeth.
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Dekatron(m): 10:04am On Sep 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
Oops! Sorry! embarassed grin grin grin grin Just answer this, would you buy those shirts on day 7? cheesy
Seems like you would. tongue
lol
Why should I? Wetin concern me??

Will you?
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 18, 2015
Dekatron:

lol

Why should I? Wetin concern me??

Will you?
nah. cool
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Blakjewelry(m): 1:22pm On Sep 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
hahahaha. grin grin grin shut down ke? That's too extreme abeg. It's just for 14 days, we need you on the fifteenth. cheesy

About the gravity, the effects of gravity, as well as light, disappearing will have devastating effects. So I had to assume they didn't disappear as well,

But let's just assume for once that the sun's mass disappeared as well and hence no gravity.

Well, gravity as well travels at the speed of light. So, it would take eight minutes and twenty seconds for the effect to reach the earth. And that effect, would be that, the earth would instantly begin to travel in a straight line.
The ocean's would become a bit denser, of course, but oh well. That's almost unnoticeable.

Of course, the earth would move in a straight line for the just the stipulated fifteen days. grin

I took the liberty of calculating the consequence. We know that the earth is currently about 147 million kilometers from the sun. And covers a distance of about 1.6 million kilometers in a day. If the sun were to disappear. It would cover a total distance of 24 million kilometers in a tangential path.

So, to find the new orbit radius after the sun might have arrived, I joined the tangential path to the current orbit radius and joined them with a much longer line, resulting in a right angled triangle with opposite = 147million kilometers, adjacent = 24 million kilometers. And hypotenuse = the new orbit.

Using Pythagoras theorem, I finally deduced that the new orbit radius would actually be smaller! With the earth standing at just 144 million kilometers from the sun! cheesy cheesy

But that's nothing to worry about. It is well in the goldilocks zone. grin so, no bye bye princess. cheesy
We're sticking around for much longer. cool cool
I think you have to make some adjustments, without gravity deforming the center the earth will fly outward. Now considering the fact that the travel at speed of about 30 kilometers per second, it will travel and approximately 39 million kilometers in 15 days.
Now add that to your tangental equation once the sun reappear using Pythagoras theorem, the resultant is about 152 kilometers away. Besides all these calculations are based on using the sun as a reference point to earth, if we are to use the cosmic background radiation as a reference point, the earth speed about 390 kilometers per second. and with the sun, I cbr is what we will use as a reference point
Re: What If The Sun Went Dark For A Fortnight? by Geofavor(m): 5:57pm On Sep 18, 2015
Vampires would hide no more

(1) (Reply)

Cracked Antamedia Hotspot Software Needed Asap / Meet The Nigerian Who Built World’s First Gaming Robots: Silas Adekunle! / Corporate Website Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.