Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. (26466 Views)

NASA Launches Parker Solar Probe For Historic Mission To The Sun (Photos) / A Halo (Rainbow Around A Sun) In Kaduna, Nigeria (Photos) / Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by duketunde: 8:15pm On May 08, 2016
What you need to Know as the incredibly rare celestial event which will see Mercury appear in front of our home star.

This rare astronomical event which occurs just 13 times each century will pass in front on the sun tomorrow Monday May 9, 2016. But it's not one of those event you rush out to view, because anyone who stares at the sun as the tiny black spot makes its journey past the sun risk permanent damage to their eyesight.

This relatively tiny planet will begin its journey past the sun at just after midday in most parts of the world.

It will then be visible as a tiny black spot as it spends 7.5 hours "transiting" our parent star.

According to NASA "Due to its diminutive size, viewing this event safely requires a telescope or high-powered binoculars fitted with solar filters made of specially-coated glass or Mylar."

The transit of Mercury will be observable across the whole of Western Europe, South America, the eastern part of North America, West Africa, and the western region of North Africa.

Mercury is the planet which is closest to the sun and is named after the famous "winged messenger" of Roman mythology.

See the transit path of the celestial event below:

- http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/05/the-dangers-of-staring-at-sun-as.html#sthash.zCyD7Pwt.dpuf

5 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by fkpboss: 8:34pm On May 08, 2016
Taarh...some Nigerians will still stare at it

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 8:40pm On May 08, 2016
Omo nigeria dey among.
preparing to see it, but sun will bright oo shocked
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by ricsman(m): 8:52pm On May 08, 2016
who dare to look at the sun when its hot.... not to talk of looking at a small tiny object called mercury-planet near it.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by duketunde: 10:40pm On May 08, 2016
Some people will still unknowingly stare at the sun o, it begins around mid-day and will last for 7 hour plus
ricsman:
who dare to look at the sun when its hot.... not to talk of looking at a small tiny object called mercury-planet near it.
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by duketunde: 10:44pm On May 08, 2016
Only God know what our space agency is doing not sensitizing Nigerians...other countries are providing special glasses and telescope...Naija we noh even know embarassed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by taurus25(m): 10:58pm On May 08, 2016
Mods, people should know
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by DrSage(m): 11:41pm On May 08, 2016
Another fake Whatsapp broadcast message undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Arewa12: 11:42pm On May 08, 2016
eleyi gidi gan

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Zabilon007(m): 11:42pm On May 08, 2016
Abegi
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by gamyy(m): 11:44pm On May 08, 2016
front page

ts bn a long time...thank u all...i love u all

yeye news....end time sun mercury shii
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by ERCROSS(m): 11:44pm On May 08, 2016
I will look at it
grin

4 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by csamii: 11:45pm On May 08, 2016
I fit tap light from there sef

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by davodyguy: 11:45pm On May 08, 2016
Oh no

Science at it again.

I'll ask our forefathers how they managed to live long before scientific civilisation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by macaranta(m): 11:46pm On May 08, 2016
Good info
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by saxwizard(m): 11:46pm On May 08, 2016
ERCROSS:
I will look at it grin
trust Nigerians...dem no dey hear word

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Abayor7: 11:46pm On May 08, 2016
Nasa and their mumu discovery . Can't wait to till then sha
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Nanababy25: 11:46pm On May 08, 2016
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by OVA200(m): 11:47pm On May 08, 2016
And i get exam by 2pm tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Buking1: 11:47pm On May 08, 2016
Please join me to
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by bright007(f): 11:47pm On May 08, 2016
story for the gods
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by onosprince(m): 11:48pm On May 08, 2016
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Scatterscatter(m): 11:48pm On May 08, 2016
Still some people will say there is no God. The universe isn't operating randomly or by error, everything is planned by the creator "Almighty God"

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Segadem(m): 11:49pm On May 08, 2016
grin
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by omotonyx(f): 11:50pm On May 08, 2016
ERCROSS:
I will look at it
grin
Lol
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by pendusky(m): 11:52pm On May 08, 2016
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Nobody: 11:52pm On May 08, 2016
Na wa oh,nobody don talk end time things

Ngwanu end time signs

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by kingstylo01(m): 11:53pm On May 08, 2016
cool
Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by BabaNath(m): 11:53pm On May 08, 2016
Op. We wee nor take it. Is it your stare? Abeg shift make I look awa sun jor

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by areeyor(m): 11:53pm On May 08, 2016
Where is my sun shade ? Op thanks ofor reminding me

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. by Segadem(m): 11:55pm On May 08, 2016
DrSage:
Another fake Whatsapp broadcast message undecided
[size=14pt]Abeg, who give u doctorship titles grin[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Russian Cosmonaut Breaks World Record In Space, Spends 878 Days In Orbit (Photo) / I Have 350k, Can I Install A Single Solar Panel For My Appliances? / Leopard Saves Baby Baboon After Killing its Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.