Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs (2872 Views)

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering / Mechanical Engineers: Aspirants And Practitioners Let Meet Here. / Mechanical Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by cashful(m): 5:26pm On Apr 12, 2009
Mechanical Engineers:any hope for this career
Looking at the dailies you always find alot of job ads for elect/elect engrs, back then at school we'll always argue which is better, but now a days while we see a lot of openings for ee engrs in IT, Telecoms, Power, Manufacturing, the most populous mech ad is in the plastic industry -Pet,Blow Moulding etc.
the manufacturing industry also do employ too, but in trickles when they could pay less for craftsmen and technicians.
So what opportunities are there for aspiring and practicing mechanical engineers.
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by cashful(m): 5:46pm On Apr 12, 2009
one factor seriously affecting the graduates of this course is the large gap between what was tot at school and the skills required at work place.
Eg1: Mr.A applies to the company where i work, he is invited for an interview, which i was to conduct, Mr.A has B.Eng in mech Eng,2.1 ;M.Sc in view
for every Ques:asked he tried to relate it with academics, explaining all he knows about fluid mechanics and thermodynamics, when what the company wanted is someone that can immediately fit into the setting without supervision or training.
the fact is majority of the companies are not willing to train rather they are looking for experienced hands.
How then do the graduates get the required skills?
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by FiremanJr(m): 11:52pm On Apr 12, 2009
@poster
I agree totally with you that there is a huge gap btw what is taught in schools and what is required. Are you a HR personel?
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by AjanleKoko: 9:35am On Apr 13, 2009
I think it just signals what we all know is happening, the boom in ICT (not really elect engineering) and the bust in manufacturing. Virtually all the FMCGs have either wound down their manufacturing plants or moved them out of naija. Some like Dunlop and Michelin have even closed down altogether.
No thanks to the power sector crisis.
That's why all engineers are chasing downstream and upstream oil & gas.
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by cashful(m): 9:26pm On Apr 17, 2009
Fireman Jr:

@poster
I agree totally with you that there is a huge gap btw what is taught in schools and what is required. Are you a HR personel?
i am a mechanical engineer
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by cashful(m): 11:04pm On Apr 17, 2009
another reason why i started this post is this':many graduates of this course(especially the university ones) are sitting at home without jobs. the oil companies can only employ a few, so also telecoms, these are companies that provide training and also the big multinationals, d question like i asked b4 is how do u get skills to work in these other companies.
way 1:INDUSTRIAL TRAINING
(a)this is very important 4 all aspiring mech engr, it is during the I.T that u decide if u will practice after graduatin,especially those who find themselves studying it because of JAMB, parents etc.some of my friends decided that never will they practice it after grad, n tru to their words they never did cos it was not what they wanted to do
(b)during your IT 4get u r a student and dig it with the technicians and craftsmen, cos they possess a lot of practical knowledge which if you combine with your theory will make you a better engineer. be ready to learn at all times

more to come
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by lekside44(m): 9:42pm On May 01, 2009
well, for the jobs to be readily available, we need more industries. what is bad if the government can start a space race program, it will also absorbed some of the unemployed youths of the streets. what about a defence program? all these and others are what keeps these foreign countries going. our government should take a leave from these other countries and do something now.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by cashful(m): 7:57pm On May 02, 2009
generating jobs i agree, but not d type of jobs u mentioned and not government , rather govt should concentrate on infrastructures like roads phcn,,the enabling environment that will create n sustain jobs thats d main role of government
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by cashful(m): 10:01pm On Jun 07, 2009
check this out, especially guys in south east

The Position: MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
Qualification:
• University Degree or HND in Mechanical/Engineering with 3 years experience in mechanical/Electrical engineering function in a Manufacturing Industry.

Remuneration:
Competitive and based on experience.

Method of Application
Please forward application Letters & CVs in sealed envelope to:
Recruitment Unit,
Juhel Nigeria Limited,
35 Nkwobor Road,
Emene Enugu
Or apply online to: mahjuhel@gmail.com
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Kindly use your job title as your subject.
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by Machine3072: 5:53pm On Jul 15, 2017
I made a true comment, the place i worked i felt i wasn't in the right place , working in a chinese organisation .Once of best staff in the organisation but my instinct was telling me go back to yr field of study mechanical engineering after quiting the job ,i got two graduate trainee problem in the field.
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by Machine3072: 5:53pm On Jul 15, 2017
u made a true comment, the place i worked i felt i wasn't in the right place , working in a chinese organisation .One of best staff in the organisation but my instinct was telling me go back to yr field of study mechanical engineering after quiting the job ,i got two graduate trainee program in the field.
Re: Mechanical Engineers:where Are The Jobs by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
Go 4 Bank Job, Big4 Or Go Pack Force!

(1) (Reply)

Going Through ATS Classes Or Just Waiting Till After School Before Doing ICAN? / Professional Interior Design And Decoration Training In Ibadan / Unemployed? Looking for a Plan B? See what Forbes thinks about Network Marketing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.