Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,339 members, 7,860,842 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:15 PM

Abia St Commr Of Police: Police Won’t Allow MASSOB To Undermine National Securit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia St Commr Of Police: Police Won’t Allow MASSOB To Undermine National Securit (551 Views)

Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman / MASSOB To Buhari: End Fulani Herdsmen Attacks On S-east In 30days Or… / Uwazurike Renames MASSOB To BIM - Biafra Independent Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abia St Commr Of Police: Police Won’t Allow MASSOB To Undermine National Securit by cybertyrant(m): 4:51pm On Sep 19, 2015
Abia State Commissioner of Police: Police Won’t Allow MASSOB To Undermine National Security
Abia State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Joshak Habila, in this interview with STEPHEN UKANDU,speaks on security and why the police are after the members of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra. There are fears that some Boko Haram elements may have infiltrated Abia State considering the recent security report that some members of the terror group were arrested in Enugu, a neighbouring state. How do you react to this?
We have to look at certain contiguous states. Definitely, any crime happening in Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi or Rivers State has the possibility to spill over to Abia State. We will not rest on our oars. We have been told loud and clear by the Inspector-General of Police to prepare. You know that there is heat in the North-East because of the Boko Haram insurgency and there are locations in Abia State that have been found to be suitable for people from the North where they transact business.

So, the possibility of finding anybody that has been involved in insurgency in the North-East cannot be ruled out. That is why you see our Explosive Ordinance Department at work. You can also see that there are observatory points and aggressive patrol, among others. We have a good number of patrol vehicles around the ring areas where we think that some of these elements, if given the opportunity and due to the heat they have experienced in the North-East, might sneak in to hide here.

Is there any established case of Boko Haram presence in the state?

Never! And by God’s grace there won’t be any.

Assuming that they finally infiltrate the state, how prepared are your men to contain them?

I have the complement of other security agencies in the state. We have very vibrant military formation here – fully mobilised and operational. We also have the Department of State Security and others who synergise with us to ensure a 24-hour security in the state. It means we should be able to give good account of ourselves in the face of any challenge.

Radio Biafra has become a source of concern in many quarters with the belief that it operates from Aba. Why has it been difficult for your men to trace its operational base as it has continued to broadcast despite recent claims by the Nigerian Communication Commission that it had been jammed?

I think it is the duty of everyone to help trace the Radio because if those behind it exist, they don’t exist in the blues. They exist among members of the public. So, it is those who reside around here that should be able to volunteer information. Don’t forget that the Inspector-General of Police has introduced what we call “Change Direction.” This means that he has opened up our activities and challenges through a feedback mechanism called “Stop the Bribe” in all the departments of the Nigerian Police. Members of the public can now access us for suggestions, criticisms and volunteer information through our portal.

The indigenous people of Biafra are said to be the people operating the Radio Biafra. We are gathering information but you should know that they are subversive and have also spoken against constituted authorities. It is a very big issue to be decided by the IG. But the law is very clear that those who engage in subversive activities to run down a nation should be prosecuted through the justice system.

Do we now conclude that the issue of Radio Biafra has overwhelmed the security agencies?

There are those responsible for tracking down operators of unapproved radio frequencies. The police do have some roles to play but I don’t think that the police are the one to jam the frequency. There is an agency of government responsible for that. I also think members of the public have a better role to play in volunteering information to security agencies to clamp down on the radio station.

The continued clampdown on members of the unarmed Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra. There are fears that some Boko Haram elements may have infiltrated Abia State considering the recent security report that some members of the terror group were arrested in Enugu, a neighbouring state. How do you react to this?
We have to look at certain contiguous states. Definitely, any crime happening in Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi or Rivers State has the possibility to spill over to Abia State. We will not rest on our oars. We have been told loud and clear by the Inspector-General of Police to prepare. You know that there is heat in the North-East because of the Boko Haram insurgency and there are locations in Abia State that have been found to be suitable for people from the North where they transact business.

So, the possibility of finding anybody that has been involved in insurgency in the North-East cannot be ruled out. That is why you see our Explosive Ordinance Department at work. You can also see that there are observatory points and aggressive patrol, among others. We have a good number of patrol vehicles around the ring areas where we think that some of these elements, if given the opportunity and due to the heat they have experienced in the North-East, might sneak in to hide here.

Is there any established case of Boko Haram presence in the state?

Never! And by God’s grace there won’t be any.

Assuming that they finally infiltrate the state, how prepared are your men to contain them?

I have the complement of other security agencies in the state. We have very vibrant military formation here – fully mobilised and operational. We also have the Department of State Security and others who synergise with us to ensure a 24-hour security in the state. It means we should be able to give good account of ourselves in the face of any challenge.

Radio Biafra has become a source of concern in many quarters with the belief that it operates from Aba. Why has it been difficult for your men to trace its operational base as it has continued to broadcast despite recent claims by the Nigerian Communication Commission that it had been jammed?

I think it is the duty of everyone to help trace the Radio because if those behind it exist, they don’t exist in the blues. They exist among members of the public. So, it is those who reside around here that should be able to volunteer information. Don’t forget that the Inspector-General of Police has introduced what we call “Change Direction.” This means that he has opened up our activities and challenges through a feedback mechanism called “Stop the Bribe” in all the departments of the Nigerian Police. Members of the public can now access us for suggestions, criticisms and volunteer information through our portal.

The indigenous people of Biafra are said to be the people operating the Radio Biafra. We are gathering information but you should know that they are subversive and have also spoken against constituted authorities. It is a very big issue to be decided by the IG. But the law is very clear that those who engage in subversive activities to run down a nation should be prosecuted through the justice system.

Do we now conclude that the issue of Radio Biafra has overwhelmed the security agencies?

There are those responsible for tracking down operators of unapproved radio frequencies. The police do have some roles to play but I don’t think that the police are the one to jam the frequency. There is an agency of government responsible for that. I also think members of the public have a better role to play in volunteering information to security agencies to clamp down on the radio station.

The continued clampdown on members of the unarmed Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra has been generating mixed reactions among some Nigerians. Why are the police after MASSOB despite the group’s non-violence posture?

If I see MASSOB members, I will arrest them. We are looking for those who are doing campaign of calumny to run down the nation. They are a dissident group that wants to cause disturbance of peace and security of Nigeria and put apprehension in the members of the public. If anyone does that, we will arrest him; we are looking for them. If I see them engage in activities that undermine the interest of the nation and of the state, definitely they will be brought to justice. So, it is not a lie that I am looking for them. If I see them, I won’t let them go.

But MASSOB has always said it is pursuing its agenda peacefully, arguing that security agencies have no justification to be harsh on its members when a violent group like Boko Haram has continued to terrorise the country, yet some of the insurgents are being freed. How do you reconcile this in view of the fact that some MASSOB members are still in detention for years without trial?

Are the Boko Haram members spared, if seen? Boko Haram members, if seen, are arrested immediately. If any Boko Haram member is seen even by mere suspicion, I will arrest and prosecute him. If I also see any one inciting the public, I will pick him. I am not going from house to house to look for MASSOB members, but those whose activities will undermine the security of the state and the nation will be arrested. Anybody that is destabilising even the peace of the family will not be spared. So, we are looking for those who are carrying out activities that undermine the interest of the nation.

It does appear that kidnapping is gradually re-surfacing in parts of Abia State. What is the reason for this and what efforts are being made by your men to contain it?
Your guess is as good as mine but I want to let you know that any crime that has already entered into a system requires some concerted efforts and time to ensure that it is reduced to the barest minimum. I don’t want to join words with anybody but as far as I am concerned, kidnapping in Abia State has been drastically reduced. We experience it once or twice in a month. It is not good enough but at least there is no apprehension in the state. There isn’t any situation of kidnapping that has overwhelmed us. In the last few months, we haven’t registered any incidence of kidnapping here in Umuahia, but we did in Aba. We have done crime mapping of the state and we are fully aware of the areas that are prone to kidnapping and we are strategising to tackle it headlong. That is why you see that a lot of them have been put on check, but if anybody is kidnapped at all, we normally put pressure on the suspects and the victim is released within a shortest possible time. The only problem we have is that some of the victims’ relations are cajoled into believing that if they involve the police that the victim will be killed. Sometimes, they go on their own to negotiate with the kidnappers without carrying the police along. We have been telling them to stop giving ransom to kidnappers because it encourages the criminals.

What are your assurances to Abia residents regarding their security?

Their security is guaranteed. I believe that myself and my men have the capacity to contain kidnapping in the state.

Source :https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1475993302704782&id=100008823793753&set=gm.1471584563151220&refid=8&_ft_=qid.6196250757654765651%3Amf_story_key.4007557143332840010%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&__tn__=%2As

Re: Abia St Commr Of Police: Police Won’t Allow MASSOB To Undermine National Securit by 48noble(m): 5:04pm On Sep 19, 2015
Get ready for a.ss. Kicking.

(1) (Reply)

South African Bank Beat Nigerian Banks In Most Innovative Investment Banks / MKO Abiola’s Younger Brother Dead, Buried / BAYELSA GUBER: Isoko Vows To Vote Dickson For Second Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.