Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa (11736 Views)

James Ibori Chased Econet Out Over $4.5M Bribe - Econet CEO / THE BOMBSHELL FINALLY! Senate On Vengeance / Corruption Of Justice System In Ikorodu By Omo Onile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

This revelations raises more and more questions. Did MTN pay the bribes to powerful people in government? How did they manage to hang on?
He mentioned Lagos and Delta, Who was the governor then in lagos? Why is he walking free while Ibori is in gaol?
There were allegations that MTN paid a certain percentage 'kickbacks' to the President (OBJ) on *1* to stay afloat, why was it swept under the carpet?
The halliburton scandal also comes to mind, OBJ the then president was implicated there as taking kickbacks, why is he not standing trials?

questions, question and more questions.

There are no saints!
The whole nigerian state rests on the foundation of corruption and kickbacks!

It is an institution in Nigeria!
No one is clean!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 11:08am On Oct 07, 2015
[size=13pt]Strive Masiyiwa
It’s time to play by a different (ethical) set of rules (Part 8 ) Nigeria 2[/size]

___As citizens, we have a duty to speak out to stop the rot

Nigeria has an agency known as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). After we had to leave the country, a few noble people at the company tipped off not only me but the EFCC about the payment of the bribes, which had by this time risen from $9m to $13,5m.

I had never actually heard about this agency myself until I got a call from the Nigerian Embassy in South Africa to say they wanted to come and see me to interview me as a witness.

A team of very senior EFCC officers came to see us in South Africa. They were solid and professional in their enquiry. It was clear they wanted to do something about it.

However, when these officers returned home to Nigeria, they got into very serious trouble. Their investigations into the irregular payments had been brought to the attention of James Ibori (Governor of Delta State)…

Soon thereafter, the most senior officer leading the investigation was demoted and sent to a remote part of the country as an ordinary policeman!

Agencies like EFCC in Nigeria sometimes have brave and gallant law enforcement officers. Unfortunately, as I observed, they’re often let down by their political bosses, and sometimes even by the courts. This can change if activism from the citizenry emerges to support their work.

___We should not only support official efforts to stop corruption but also help these agencies and organisations in their investigations. If you have relevant information about illegal activities, passing it on could make all the difference between impunity and imprisonment.

In my letter to the US Justice Department, I detailed the full history of the demands for a bribe. I had dates, times, records. I then reminded them that since the big international operator had a listing on the New York Stock Exchange, they were duty-bound to launch an enquiry. Why did I go to them?

The United States government has a law called the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The United Kingdom has a similar one called the British Anti-Bribery Act. Whatever you do, make sure you never fall foul of those laws because, if they ever use them to come after you, you’re a "gonner" my friends.

A few weeks later, US officials wrote back advising me that an enquiry had been launched. They contacted the big international company seeking answers to my allegations. My contacts at the company called to tell me, "All hell has broken loose at the company."

The parent company of the South African-based multinational sent external auditors and lawyers from London to Nigeria. They immediately dismissed all the senior executives sent to Nigeria to run the company, and they left in a hurry!

Although they fled the scene of the crime and returned to their country -- after admitting even to both the US Justice Department and the EFCC that the money had been paid out – the stolen funds were never returned to the Nigerian people, even to this day.

Meanwhile, the departure of the other mobile operator did not mean we could return to Nigeria. The shareholders found another operator, this time from the Middle East.

They sold this new operator the control of the company even though Econet Wireless Nigeria had the "right of first refusal" over any sale. They simply ignored that provision in our agreement. This was illegal, both according to our shareholders agreement and Nigerian Company Law. It was left for us to take up the fight in another forum, the Nigerian courts.

To be continued…
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2015
Strive Masiyiwa
Afterthought 1.

The British counterparts of the EFCC were able to bring James Ibori and his associates to book (as you will see in the next post) because they were well supported by both the political and the judicial system in the UK. I also believe that much of the evidence to bring him down came from officers in EFCC who passed it on to the British knowing that their counterparts were better placed to bring him to book. In other countries, agencies like EFCC exist but for a completely different purpose...but that is for another day.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 8:22pm On Oct 07, 2015
Strive Masiyiwa
Afterthought 2.

As I completed this post, a Nigerian former Minister of Oil has just been arrested in Britain this week, under the same law used against James Ibori. If you as a Nigerian have evidence in such matters, will you stand up, even in court, or are you afraid?
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Obrigardo: 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2015
will our youths be patient enough to read and be wise?

1 Like

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Obrigardo: 8:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
Pangea:
It’s time to play by a different (ethical) set of rules (Part 7) Nigeria 1 of 5

___Sometimes the price can be very high in the fight against corruption.

I had the privilege of making Nigeria’s first GSM phone call back in 2001 when I called the regulator to say, “We’re live!” Who would’ve believed then that Nigeria today would have more than 167 million mobile phones?!

It all started out as a very exciting new chapter for enterprise in Africa. Shortly after President Obasanjo was elected, the new government announced an incredibly transparent international auction process for three national mobile phone licenses.

To participate in the bid, you not only had to raise money, but there had to be a member of the bidding consortium who was an experienced GSM operator. Econet Wireless met the requirements because of its experience in Zimbabwe and Botswana. Our Nigerian partners, which included state governments, local banks and high net worth individuals, were financial investors. The largest shareholder had only 10%. That was the written agreement.

I managed to assemble a consortium of 22 investors to put up the money needed to bid. Our shareholders were all Nigerian, mostly institutional investors including leading banks and two state governments, Lagos State and Delta State. The license cost us $285m and was the most expensive license ever issued in Africa at the time. This was 2001.

We considered the investment not only about putting together a network, but also about building a nation. We knew it had the potential to transform Nigeria’s entire business and social architecture.

Most of our investors had between 1-10% shareholding. Econet Wireless Nigeria had only 5% of the shares, but that was fine because it was 5% ownership of a very big pie.

As the "technical partner and operator," Econet was the company with the expertise to build and operate such a business. Our financial investors recognised this, and also allowed us to receive 3% of the turnover as our fees. This was standard practice in the industry.

We were one of the winning bidders and they gave us just six months to set up business and get our network operating. We were under a lot of pressure but our network was live two days before the others! Customers were pouring in. We were number one in the market with an estimated 57% market share.

___Then came the fateful day when I was told that our company must pay a total of $9m in bribes to senior politicians (in state government) who had facilitated the raising of the money to pay for the license.

I refused to authorise the illegal payments. Meeting after meeting was held to try to get me to agree, but I would not. The money would not be paid as long as Econet was the operator and I had signing authority.

James Ibori, the Governor of Delta State, was demanding $4,5m be paid to him in his personal capacity. He was one of the most powerful men in the country and had a reputation for violence. When he heard that I was refusing to approve payment he issued an ultimatum:

___"Pay or I will chase you and your people out of the country."

I refused.

The shareholders met and voted Econet Wireless Nigeria out of management. They cancelled our management contract. James Ibori and his colleagues personally attended the meeting to remove us. After the meeting one of them (a prominent local businessman even today) came up to me and said: "Unfortunately for you, God does not have a vote."

I had to withdraw all my staff and their families: 200 people in all. We left Nigeria.

Most of our people had to be retrenched. The loss of the contract almost drove us to bankruptcy as a group.

They invited a big international operator to replace us as technical partner and operator. They changed the name of the company from Econet to V-Mobile.

Within days of their arrival, the managers of the new operator signed off the payments demanded as bribes.

Then what happened?

A few noble Nigerians had both the integrity and courage to carefully collect all the documentation on the movement of the money, and pass it all on to me.

___There’s a saying worth remembering in uncovering the trail of destruction that is corruption: “Follow the money”…

I bided my time... then I wrote a letter to the United States Department of Justice!

It was 2003.

To be continued…

all i can say is wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow
WOW! lalasticlala front page now!!!
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 07, 2015
Gaborone, I luv Bostwana
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
Gaborone, I luv Bostwana. Corruption is an evil that must be tackled by all and Sundry
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Obrigardo: 9:03pm On Oct 07, 2015
Mogidi and Tonyebarcanista and their wailers need to drink water, eat and read this. This thread is changing my psyche. sad sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Obrigardo: 9:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
Pangea:
Strive Masiyiwa
Afterthought 2.

As I completed this post, a Nigerian former Minister of Oil has just been arrested in Britain this week, under the same law used against James Ibori. If you as a Nigerian have evidence in such matters, will you stand up, even in court, or are you afraid?

Please dont stop oh.

Can you post the fb link of this Guy? i need to connect with him
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 9:15pm On Oct 07, 2015
Obrigardo:

Please dont stop oh.

Can you post the fb link of this Guy? i need to connect with him

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strive-Masiyiwa/496453373762496
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Bevista: 9:16pm On Oct 07, 2015
Booked.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Obrigardo: 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2015
Pangea:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strive-Masiyiwa/496453373762496

thanks... Seun this is what should make the frontpage and should be pinned on the front page for the remainder of the year.
If that is your fight towards corruption (which we are all equally yoked in), please do that admin!

lalasticlala front page or you dey sleep?

9 Likes

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 9:29pm On Oct 07, 2015
Obrigardo:

thanks... Seun this is what should make the frontpage and should be pinned on the front page for the remainder of the year.
If that is your fight towards corruption (which we are all equally yoked in), please do that admin!

lalasticlala front page or you dey sleep?

Lols
I've been putting up the articles on this thread for quite awhile, seems many are not too interested because it's quite a long read for our people. They prefers pictures and summary, but they still want the country to change.
We all are joking!
Peter Okoye posted a picture today comparing the country where he has gone for a show to Nigeria and he prayed that even if he will not live to see nigeria becoming like that country that God should please let his children be a witness to it.
I really cry for my country!

Paul Okoye of P-square is gradually losing hope in Nigeria but he decided to back it up with prayer.

Paul who’s on tour in the United States shared the below photo of a city in the country and said:

''Dear God even if I know I will never see my country like this..... But at list let my children or grand children see my country like this one day....na beg I de beg,....this na wickedness Haba!!! Asin I taya !!!''

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Obrigardo: 9:45pm On Oct 07, 2015
Pangea:

Lols
I've been putting up the articles on this thread for quite awhile, seems many are not too interested because it's quite a long read for our people. They prefers pictures and summary, but they still want the country to change.
We all are joking!
Peter Okoye posted a picture today comparing the country where he has gone for a show to Nigeria and he prayed that even if he will not live to see nigeria becoming like that country that God should please let his children be a witness to it.

Even the set up of the forum is swimming in corruption capitalist-style. But there is hope for the rest of us.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Pangea: 9:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
Obrigardo:

Even the set up of the forum is swimming in corruption capitalist-style. But there is hope for the rest of us.

grin grin grin
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Wanice: 10:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
pls if u support that this thread should be on the front page till the rest of the year click on d like button. If only our leader's can be corruption free

6 Likes

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by politricks: 10:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
This should be the best thread i have read on Nairaland. Lalasticlala put this on frontpage before i woze you slap. If it is one mumu thread now you will rush and put it on frontpage. Op continue i am solidly behind you.

2 Likes

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by emmatok(m): 10:13pm On Oct 07, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

This revelations raises more and more questions. Did MTN pay the bribes to powerful people in government? How did they manage to hang on?
He mentioned Lagos and Delta, Who was the governor then in lagos? Why is he walking free while Ibori is in gaol?
There were allegations that MTN paid a certain percentage 'kickbacks' to the President (OBJ) on *1* to stay afloat, why was it swept under the carpet?
The halliburton scandal also comes to mind, OBJ the then president was implicated there as taking kickbacks, why is he not standing trials?

One of the two Governors was Tinubu, I remember these Saga is the Early days of Nigeria telecom history.

These Politicians forcefully collected Econet Nigeria from the owner.

But the man gave them international hell, that was the reason why Econet keeps changing names until the Indians finally bought the company.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by fx45(m): 11:07pm On Oct 07, 2015
emmatok:
One of the two Governors was Tinubu, I remember these Saga is the Early days of Nigeria telecom history.

These Politicians forcefully collected Econet Nigeria from the owner.

But the man gave them international hell, that was the reason why Econet keeps changing names until the Indians finally bought the company.
Why is James Ibori in jail while Tinubu is currently a Field Marshal of the ruling party?

$9m was initially demanded as bribe.... Ibori's share was $4.5m. The other half was for who? PassingShot, do you have an idea who must have taken the other half?

2 Likes

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Handsomegod(m): 11:18pm On Oct 07, 2015
Now we see why GSM services in Nigeria is not only the costliest and of the poorest quality you can get anywhere all because the regulatory agencies and the appropriate authorities have all been compromised! Tinubu today is the de facto President and OBJ is the chief adviser of the ruling party! Is Nigeria not a finished case with men and characters like the duo and their comprado bourgeoisie accomplices holding sway as the rulers of this nation? Shame!! Again and again,we all can attest that Nuhu Ribadu's days as EFCC chairman can be described as the golden era in contrast to the paper tiger they are today. A man as passionate,patriotic and upright as Ribadu was disgraced for daring to put Nigeria first. For the reflective minds,this exposition offers a sneak peek into the basis and reason our nation is the sorry case it is today. The future is in our hands. #peaceout#

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by EMANY01(m): 12:02am On Oct 08, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

fx45:
Why is James Ibori in jail while Tinubu is currently a Field Marshal of the ruling party?

$9m was initially demanded as bribe.... Ibori's share was $4.5m. The other half was for who? PassingShot, do you have an idea who must have taken the other half?

Do you need to ask?

Do not ask passing shot and his gang of merry apc cool-aid drinkers that question, he/they will either point to some political character from the south-east or the south-south with some allegations of corruption to answer failing which he/they would immediately develop amnesia. ,go blind and deaf at the same time.

We all know that Obj and Tinubu both have plunged their filthy phaluses into the swarmy hole of corruption that is the story of the telco business in Nigeria.

Those who know know and record it which is why sometimes i have no respect for the US and the UK still giving that idiot (Obj) space to show his face internationally when they have detailed records of his corrupt ridden existence .

As for Tinubu, that thug instituted a regime of state sanctioned robbery in Lagos using thugs barely able to communicate in English our supposed lingual franka and the consequence of which is escalating but we all act like his tenure was the best thing since sliced bread (a generation of agberos who have now come to know easy money by extortion) goverment extortion with the money hardly used by the government in providing the needs of the people.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 08, 2015
EMANY01:

Do you need to ask?

Do not ask passing shot and his gang of merry apc cool-aid drinkers that question, he/they will either point to some political character from the south-east or the south-south with some allegations of corruption to answer failing which he/they would immediately develop amnesia. ,go blind and deaf at the same time.

We all know that Obj and Tinubu both have plunged their filthy phaluses into the swarmy hole of corruption that is the story of the telco business in Nigeria.

Those who know know and record it which is why sometimes i have no respect for the US and the UK still giving that idiot (Obj) space to show his face internationally when they have detailed records of his corrupt ridden existence .

As for Tinubu, that thug instituted a regime of state sanctioned robbery in Lagos using thugs barely able to communicate in English our supposed lingual franka and the consequence of which is escalating but we all act like his tenure was the best thing since sliced bread (a generation of agberos who have now come to know easy money by extortion) goverment extortion with the money hardly used by the government in providing the needs of the people.

This my response should not be misconstrued as support for Tinubu , but i just need some answers and clarifications. This article has exposed the corruption in Nigeria telecom industry and many people now know why airtel kept changing names ( im a proud aitel subscriber) my questions are
1. Why is Tinubu still walking free and has never been prosecuted on this matter
2. Considering that tinubu has been in opposition since 1999 how come the Pdp led federal Government have never arrested and prosecuted tinubu while ibori a pdp member and his cronies are in jail .

2 Likes

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 08, 2015
fx45:

grin grin grin.
Hope you are not seriously waiting for his answer.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by fx45(m): 11:48am On Oct 08, 2015
mykl01:
grin grin grin.
Hope you are not seriously waiting for his answer.
PassingShot is a 'gentleman'.... So I expect that he will be honest and courageous enough to give me a response
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by seunmsg(m): 6:42pm On Oct 08, 2015
elookoo:

This my response should not be misconstrued as support for Tinubu , but i just need some answers and clarifications. This article has exposed the corruption in Nigeria telecom industry and many people now know why airtel kept changing names ( im a proud aitel subscriber) my questions are
1. Why is Tinubu still walking free and has never been prosecuted on this matter
2. Considering that tinubu has been in opposition since 1999 how come the Pdp led federal Government have never arrested and prosecuted tinubu while ibori a pdp member and his cronies are in jail .

If you read strive Masiyiwa's post very well, you will notice he never mentioned Tinubu's name. If he can mention James Ibori's name clearly, I really don't see why he can't mention Tinubu's name clearly as well.

In my opinion, if Tinubu also demanded for bribe like Ibori did, he must have done it through a third party and not directly in a way that it could be traced to him. I came to this conclusion simply because Tinubu has travelled severally to the US and UK without harassment. If Ibori was arrested and prosecuted on the strength of the petition sent to the US and UK by strive, I don't see any reason why they will let Tinubu off the hook if he is also guilty. Curiously again, Strive has refused to mention him directly in the bribery scandal. Tinubu was probably smart enough to cover his tracks.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by EMANY01(m): 6:55pm On Oct 08, 2015
seunmsg:

If you read strive Masiyiwa's post very well, you will notice he never mentioned Tinubu's name. If he can mention James Ibori's name clearly, I really don't see why he can't mention Tinubu's name clearly as well.

In my opinion, if Tinubu also demanded for bribe like Ibori did, he must have done it through a third party and not directly in a way that it could be traced to him. I came to this conclusion simply because Tinubu has travelled severally to the US and UK without harassment. If Ibori was arrested and prosecuted on the strength of the petition sent to the US and UK by strive, I don't see any reason why they will let Tinubu off the hook if he is also guilty. Curiously again, Strive has refused to mention him directly in the bribery scandal. Tinubu was probably smart enough to cover his tracks.

That question shows you are a learner. The answer is simple thifnubu is well connected if not a prominent structure of Nigeria's political power structure.He (Strive) has given all the information that is required there was only one man who was the governor of Lagos at the time if you still do not see the answer then i give up.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by AZeD1(m): 7:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
seunmsg:

You are on point. Tinubu is an accountant by training so he probably knows how to hide his money trail well.

1 Like

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by realborn(m): 8:14pm On Oct 08, 2015
God bless the Op and the author, Mr Strive.

Where do we start from?

1 Like

Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Chubhie: 4:06am On Oct 09, 2015
Beautiful....... This deserves FP!!! I love very disciplined souls. There might still be a glimpse of hope for humanity with souls as these.
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Chubhie: 4:40am On Oct 09, 2015
I just wonder why the cold reception of this piece on this political board? This political board should be on fire discussing this.

Don Omenka where art thou?

Apostle hahn

Elder Gbawe
Re: The Corruption Of Econet In Nigeria,The Bombshell! By ECONET Ceo-Strive Masiyiwa by Chubhie: 4:58am On Oct 09, 2015
Pangea:

Lols
We all are joking!

Edit and Make the Topic controversially sensational. Paste the part on Nigeria on your Opening post. Every attempted attempt to allow this die a natural death shall be resisted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Outcry Over Seats Of Late Senators, Rep (names, Photo) / See What Obaseki Was Caught Doing Today As Election Results Comes In / Joe Igbokwe: IPOB A Branch Of PDP Behind Insecurity In South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.