Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble (937 Views)

Obama's Victory Spells Trouble For Israel's Netanyahu / More Trouble On The Way, See The Map. / Obama Is A Weak Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by AloyEmeka9: 5:34am On Apr 14, 2009
‘Obama Fried Chicken’ Will Keep Its Name

The owner of Obama Fried Chicken at Rutland Road and Rockaway Parkway in Brownsville, Brooklyn, plans to keep the name, despite protests.

The man who caused a stir by calling his fast-food restaurant Obama Fried Chicken no longer plans to change the name, despite a growing outcry from protesters who say the name conjures up disturbing racial stereotypes.

On Monday, about 20 people, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, protested outside the restaurant, at Rutland Road and Rockaway Parkway in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

“He wasn’t a man of his word,” one of the protest organizers, Kevin McCall, said Tuesday, referring to the restaurant’s owner. “He didn’t keep his commitment of having this sign down. This is very offensive to African-Americans.”

The restaurant, previously called Royal Fried Chicken, took the Obama name in late March in a gesture of fondness for the president, said Mohammad Jabbar, the manager and spokesman for the restaurant.

Under pressure last week, Mr. Jabbar, who said he is not the owner, said the name would be changed to Popular Fried Chicken over the weekend. But on Monday, the sign was still there — a fact noted by the free newspaper amNY, under the print headline “What the Cluck?”

The White House disapproves of using the president’s name for commercial purposes, a spokesman said.

On Tuesday, Mr. Jabbar explained that the owner had changed his mind because the new sign, which he says cost about $5,000, has been embraced. He estimated that four out of every five customers have supported the name. “They’re telling us not to remove,” he said.

Mr. Jabbar added that he believed the controversy was over.

Another protest is planned for noon Saturday — news that caught Mr. Jabbar by surprise.

“We’re going to continue to keep the pressure on,” said Mr. McCall. “If he thinks we’re going away that’s not going to happen.”

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/obama-fried-chicken-will-keep-its-name/
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by ElRazur: 12:48pm On Apr 14, 2009
It is only a name. People need to get a grip in my opinion.
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by IFELEKE(m): 1:52pm On Apr 14, 2009
Stupid protests by Jobless People,
Who cares if you name your Pig Yar'adua down here?
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by SeanT21(f): 6:31pm On Apr 14, 2009
Whats the fuss?? embarassed

There are many things to worry about but people choose to worry about a chicken shop being named after Obama!!
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by MrCrackles(m): 6:32pm On Apr 14, 2009
What is all this OBAMA madness now? undecided
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 14, 2009
IFELEKE:

Stupid protests by Jobless People,
Who cares if you name your Pig Yar'adua down here?
grin grin grin grin grin grin

MrCrackles:

What is all this OBAMA madness now? undecided
abi o. . . .am even scared to wear my Obama Shirt in this mostly white city grin grin

God help Obama.

People are just mad because they're not seeing quick positive economic results
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Hauwa1: 6:37pm On Apr 14, 2009
i really don't like the use of his name like that

they can be mischievious undecided
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 14, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i really don't like the use of his name like that

they can be mischievious undecided
Mischievous how?
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 14, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

People are just mad because they're not seeing quick positive economic results

there are just mad because they never thought they'd live to see the day they would have to take command from a black man. The recession started way back in 2007, where they mad at George Bush? What economic abracadabra where they expecting in 90 days?
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Hauwa1: 7:22pm On Apr 14, 2009
obama fried chicken? ummm, i think it is weird. we will see.
i rest my case! i will even eat in there.
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by AloyEmeka9: 9:37pm On Apr 14, 2009
I don't have any problem with Obama,Ifeleke, Dylan or Hauwa fried chicken. I will only turn a blind eye on your restaurant if the name is tpia fried chicken unless I am ready to change my name to Adegboyega. wink wink wink
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by bawomolo(m): 12:00am On Apr 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

I don't have any problem with Obama,Ifeleke, Dylan or Hauwa fried chicken. I will only turn a blind eye on your restaurant if the name is tpia fried chicken unless I am ready to change my name to Adegboyega. wink wink wink

tpia fried chicken or tpia fish sticks?

i'm just playing o
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by SeanT21(f): 4:41am On Apr 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

oooooh,she is gonna get U!!
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by IFELEKE(m): 10:01am On Apr 15, 2009
davidylan:

there are just mad because they never thought they'd live to see the day they would have to take command from a black man. The recession started way back in 2007, where they mad at George Bush? What economic abracadabra where they expecting in 90 days?
Right On Point!
That's why they are willing to fuss over non issues(His Wife's rendezvous with the queen is a classic example).

Aloy.Emeka:

Emeka,
Easy On The Beef!
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by MrCrackles(m): 10:08am On Apr 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

tpia fried chicken

LMFAO! grin cheesy grin
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by londonite: 8:05pm On Apr 15, 2009
URGENT: please support our president

MSNBC has a poll up about Obama's performance as President so far.

Republicans are flooding it with "F" votes. When I looked at the

poll it showed 61% with an F grade. It seems that the Republicans are

very determined to do everything in their power to downplay the

excellent work that President Obama is doing to lead the country.

Pass this address on, and go to it to vote, it only takes a

moment to do so.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29493093/
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Lamidiobi1: 4:03am On Apr 16, 2009
Let himhave an f. why is it buiness of yours.
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by AloyEmeka9: 6:36am On Apr 17, 2009
Na 2 day? grin grin grin grin
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Recognise: 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2009
SeanT21 at Aloy.Emeka]

[/quote]

[quote author=Aloy.Emeka:

Na 2 day? grin grin grin grin

Abeggy make una no start commotion ooo

Bury the hatchet . . .

and let tings be naw
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by MrCrackles(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2009
Tilapia Fried Fish! grin
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by blacksta(m): 9:55pm On Apr 17, 2009
what about

CrackLess Fried Chips and chicken grin
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by MrCrackles(m): 10:01pm On Apr 17, 2009
blacksta:

what about
CrackLess Fried Chips and chicken grin

Gangsta! cheesy
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Recognise: 10:10pm On Apr 17, 2009
MrCrackles? . . . hey, hey.

I'll yank that NIC cable or zap your Wi-fi connection ooo

Wifi - I know you're probably high tech wink wink

Go Greenwich or Hackney Empire

go have a laugh at the comedy clubs there

Dont stoke the fire naw
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by AloyEmeka9: 12:57pm On Apr 18, 2009
Tilapia Fried Fish!
grin grin grin
Re: Obama Fried Chicken Is Causing Trouble by Ikomi(m): 4:47pm On Apr 18, 2009
A California scientist has discovered a new species of lichen, a plant growth that looks a bit like moss, and has named it in honor of President Obama.

Kerry Knudsen, lichen curator of the University of California, Riverside Herbarium, found the species -- now known as Caloplaca obamae -- two years ago on Santa Rosa Island in California.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/04/new-lichen-species-named-for-obama.html

Obama is the new Messiah. cheesy

Like he said himself: "Am bleesed".

Who says his not? Let him speak now or forever hold his peace. angry

(1) (Reply)

Message To The World--ahmedinejad / Us Embassy Issues Warning Of Threat Of Bomb Attack In Abuja / When Justice Is Tempered With Mercy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.