Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,805 members, 7,810,099 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (265193 Views)

Job opportunities 4 Medical Laboratory Scientists in nigeria / Medical Laboratory Scientists(internship) / Where Do Science Laboratory Technology Graduates Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 7:41pm On Jan 11, 2011
@Kazeem,
Very Glad to have you in this forum. Your frequent visit and participation shall be highly appreciated. Welcome!

As usual, here is my gift for first timers

http://biomedicalinternet..com
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Praiselive: 8:36pm On Jan 21, 2011
Pls, can anyone answer this question? i read Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) through Nigerian Institute of Science Laborotory technologist (NIST) upto hnd level. I want to go for Post graduate studies in Medical Laboratory Science. Would that enable me to become a member of the Medical Lab. Council so i can have the liscence to run a lab?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 12:04pm On Jan 22, 2011
@Praiseville,
Your best bet now is to study Medical Laboratory Science in any of the Nigerian Universities running the course.
Cheers.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by VIPICO(m): 9:39pm On Jan 29, 2011
Guys,
I recently did a blood test and part of what i saw there was HB: 97%. What does this mean and how good/bad is this result?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Aguna: 1:23am On Jan 31, 2011
i saw good culture media which differentiates organisms by colours by name chromagar
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by niyimat(m): 8:18pm On Feb 02, 2011
benard08:

@Kazeem001,
Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the post and promise to be active here.

Find My Gift For You Here

Medical Laboratory Science Council Launches Website
Congrats to all. The Medical Laboratory Council Has Finally Launched Its Official Website.
All of you who have been making enquiry can now locate the website here:

www.mlscn.gov.ng

You Really Need To Visit The Site To Appreciate The Great Work Done By The New Registrar-Prof. Anthony Emeribe. Thumbs Up For Him.
like a shooting relieve to my long standing hunger,a steady adrenalin rush on the very tips of my fingers to my keyboards i ran to the site. Look and behold,MLSCN is online. This for God sake is the right step in the right direction. prof kudos to you.There are a lot to talk about, but for these, i think has answered some of our grieviances against our rulling council. this great profession will surely see the promised land if we all work together to keep being proud of ourselves.We have been marginalized but we will soon reap the full fruits of our labour. I am scientist Olaniyi its amazing seeing my fellow scientist giving out their opinions since the year 2009 up till this time on this very forum more thanks to BENARDS for his thoughtful invention to start this forum In the first place.Once again, to all the scientists and prospective scientists in the house I am saying, always keep the spirit high.
[quote
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by monik: 12:00am On Feb 09, 2011
Yes I do support the thumbs up for Prof Emeribe. The website is beautiful and really loaded. How do I get in touch with him or any reasonable person to solve a problem, I paid for my transcript over a year ago till can't get it. They said our results have been misplaced. Please someone tell me it is a joke to console me, if this is what my INSTITUTE is about now.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 10:50pm On Feb 15, 2011
@Niyimat and Monik,
Glad having you on board here to make comment.

Your repeated participation will be highly beneficial to all.

Wishing you the best.
Cheers.

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by hapigirl04: 8:23pm On Mar 10, 2011
I am so happy to be a part of this forum at a time like this. Dear Forumites, I am at a crossroad in making a decision on my career path. I am a graduate of Microbiology and would like to go professional in my career. Recently, I saw an advert placement in a newspaper by the nigerian institute of science laboratory technology (nislt) calling for applications for becoming associates in slt. I really am interested in sending my application, but I need detailed information about the medical lab. council of nigeria in order to be guided in my decision making, to go for either slt or mls. Thanks.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by PGON(m): 8:43pm On Mar 10, 2011
The right gate has opened.

A forum meant only for medical laboratory scientists has finally emerged.

YOUNG MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS FORUM is the first forum to unite medical laboratory scientists all round the globe

www.youngmls-scientists.org

Join Jet age medical laboratory scientists to make things better for this profession
http://www.youngmls-scientists.org
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by hitmanogo: 3:09pm On Mar 17, 2011
ihave been following this thread for sometimes and i like some of the comments made. however i will like to point out some things , first i appreciate the observation by manga in a late post which he clarified that in USA the laboratory physician otherwise pathologist ultimately heads the laboratory.this obtains in the western and advanced countries, there is a difference between a pathologist and a medical lab scientist. this difference is noted by bernard in their job functions. according to the american society for clinical pathology(a society that oversees the certification of lab professional includuing medical technologists in USA) career handbook for lab professionals, A pathologist is a physician (MD or DO) who examines tissues and is responsible for the accuracy of laboratory tests. Pathologists interpret the results of these examinations and tests while Medical
technologists work in all areas of the clinical laboratory including blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology.They perform a full range of laboratory tests – from simple premarital blood tests, to more complex tests to uncover diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and cancer. They are also responsible for confirming the accuracy of test results, and reporting laboratory findings to pathologists and other physicians.
from the above you can see that pathologists and medical lab scientists perform different functions, however there other professionals in the lab from the career handbook viz the medical lab technicians, the cytotechnologists, the histotechnologists.the pathologists' assistant.in nigeria all these except the technician are seen as medical lab scientists, there are two clarifications i'll like to make. the first is in trying to insinuate that a medical lab scientist , i mean a bachelor's in training and competence can be equated to a pathologists as the ultimate head of the lab.it is insulting. a ph.d scientist in western countries can to a certain extent be at par with the pathologists, but not a bachelor's degree holder, there is no basis for comparision, 2nd clarification the ph.d lab scientist can head a lab.in UK they do but increasingly are expected to have at least an MRCPath qualification, prof agbolanhor of LabCore has an FRCPath,but he is not a pathologist.pathologists and PH.D lab scientists interprete result,but when added clinical responsibilities are needed a pathologist takes responsibility

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by stephenka: 10:39am On Mar 29, 2011
Dear Colleague,
Sorry,my user name is Stephen Kalu not ka.I am responsible for this.
You are doing real great work by giving this honorable association this wider publicity in niraland.Please do keep it up-the good work and I believe every Scientist will be interested to give you the backings.
I am baffled that many colleagues do not know about this site.I am seeing it for the first time, today.
God will help you and give you more vision .
Stephen Kalu
PCR Lab unit
NAUTH-Nnewi.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by pumpkin88(f): 10:56am On Mar 29, 2011
i am a medical laboratory scientist, a Virologist to be precised, hi to y'all smiley
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nekibull: 8:39am On Mar 30, 2011
hi, to al the great scientists in the house. Im an intern mls stil searching for place to run my internship .any useful info wil be appreciate. Im glad im part of this profession. Cheers
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Zhedoga: 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2011
hello ihave for guys.
any doctor who interesting in knowing a newly discovered herb that cures diabetes like magic just call me for details on 08068156673
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 10:37am On Apr 11, 2011
@happygirl04,
If you want to study medical laboratory sciences in Nigeria as a graduate of microbiology, you'll need to apply for a direct entry to any of the universities offering medical laboratory sciences provided you have credit in English, maths, chemistry, physics and biology.

Cheers.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Ariseola(f): 2:27pm On Apr 11, 2011
Hello, Greatest Med. Lab. Scts, I'm rily glad 2 com across dis forum nd 2 be a member of dis noble prof. My speciality is Haematology/BGS. Let's continually kip ourselves posted on d new trends in d prof.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by 2dmax(m): 7:13am On Apr 12, 2011
Good day to you all out there!
Please, i need your dire assistance as the professionals.

My dad just recently survived a partial stroke attack. Actually, he did a complete reversal to normal and we are grateful to the Almighty for that.

Since, he stays in the east (village), i need to take to go for a through test/check up to ensure that he is ok/to see if there is ailment anywhere.

My problem now is this:
what type of lab test would i ask him to undergo?
2. Our nearest big hospital is NAUTH, nnewi. Can it be done there?
3. What are the going cost rates?

Thank you all.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by reindeer: 9:04pm On Apr 12, 2011
hitmanogo:

ihave been following this thread for sometimes and i like some of the comments made. however i will like to point out some things , first i appreciate the observation by manga in a late post which he clarified that in USA the laboratory physician otherwise pathologist ultimately heads the laboratory.this obtains in the western and advanced countries, there is a difference between a pathologist and a medical lab scientist. this difference is noted by bernard in their job functions. according to the american society for clinical pathology(a society that oversees the certification of lab professional includuing medical technologists in USA) career handbook for lab professionals, A pathologist is a physician (MD or DO) who examines tissues and is responsible for the accuracy of laboratory tests. Pathologists interpret the results of these examinations and tests while Medical
technologists work in all areas of the clinical laboratory including blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology.They perform a full range of laboratory tests – from simple premarital blood tests, to more complex tests to uncover diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and cancer. They are also responsible for confirming the accuracy of test results, and reporting laboratory findings to pathologists and other physicians.
from the above you can see that pathologists and medical lab scientists perform different functions, however there other professionals in the lab from the career handbook viz the medical lab technicians, the cytotechnologists, the histotechnologists.the pathologists' assistant.in nigeria all these except the technician are seen as medical lab scientists, there are two clarifications i'll like to make. the first is in trying to insinuate that a medical lab scientist , i mean a bachelor's in training and competence can be equated to a pathologists as the ultimate head of the lab.it is insulting. a ph.d scientist in western countries can to a certain extent be at par with the pathologists, but not a bachelor's degree holder, there is no basis for comparision, 2nd clarification the ph.d lab scientist can head a lab.in UK they do but increasingly are expected to have at least an MRCPath qualification, prof agbolanhor of LabCore has an FRCPath,but he is not a pathologist.pathologists and PH.D lab scientists interprete result,but when added clinical responsibilities are needed a pathologist takes responsibility

SPOT ON!!
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Pameslilm: 3:11am On Apr 17, 2011
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Graffter: 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
Calling: Proprietors of Medical Diagnostic Labs

We’ve partnered with a UK firm to computerise at Zero Naira, diagnostic labs in Nigeria turning them into 1st class. You don’t have to pay for software, hardware, training, upgrade etc it is all FREE!!!!

Details are at: http://www.qxlims.com
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nekkystar: 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
join us the students of imo state university in thanking God,finally we were inducted yesterday,
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 27, 2011
Hello doctors/friends/ employers of nairaland
Pls I need a job. Am based in Lagos. A graduate of medical laboratory science. Pls if u ve any vacancy kindly let me kno so I can apply.
Am a graduate of medical laboratory science (chemical pathology speciality). I urgently need this job cos am @ a point of doing something drastic. Plsss I just need to put food on my table
Thanks alot & God bless.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ficoram(m): 12:22am On Oct 27, 2011
@Andrew.
sorry to about this symptoms of yours and the fact that you have spent so much on investigation and medications.Your complain does not seems to have an organic basis it appears you are expressing psychological problems in a physical way i.e SOMATISATION.you may need to see a psychiatrist.it is a siple problem that response easily to medications.CHeeRs
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ficoram(m): 12:27am On Oct 27, 2011
@bernard .Nice thread you put up here.i graduated from UNILORIN.I m just wandering who you are.I have got some questions to ask,but my eyes are heavy now.i ll do that later.cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Human Resource Professionals:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.