Stats: 3,156,018 members, 7,828,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k (6578 Views)

My Honest Infinix Hot 5 Review And What I Don't Like About The Phone / The Tecno Phantom 5 & The LED TV + Multitasking / Battery Test / TECNO Phantom 5 Review,features,specs And Price [PHOTO] (2) (3) (4)

Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 21, 2015
Few days ago, the African mobile community was awash with news of Tecno’s brand new and “awesome” flagship device which launched in Nigeria and Kenya over the weekend. When we got wind of the Tecno Phantom 5 device, firstly it was nice to see that Tecno has finally “tushed up” or as many Nigerian bloggers called it, gone premium.

Tecno Phantom 5 looked moderate and had promising specs to its name and unlike some Tecno phones we’ve seen in the past, doesn’t come with an “outdated” OS; in fact, the smartphone is allegedly running on the latest version of Android OS — Android version 5.1 Lollipop.

However, on seeing the price tag associated with the device –like many Nigerians did — yours sincerely got a little bit of worried: Worried that Tecno might not be able to sell much of these devices owing to its “huge” price tag (70,000 naira (about $350)) and at the same time worried that a whole shitload of these might be sold. If the product managed to sell a lot and the phone turns out to be great, that’s great; but if it turns out to a nightmare like the half-baked, lagging and tearing products Tecno used to sell, you can imagine the numerous population of cheated customers who would run to us to lay their complaints (like say we be Tecno, abi?). So, the big ticker here is, “Is Tecno Phantom 5″ really good?

blah blah blah

continued..

Is Tecno Phantom 5 good?

We wouldn’t know because we haven’t touched the device *insert huge sigh of relief here* since the product is not on sale at the time of writing this piece. Nonetheless, our local bloggers should stop feeding us with blasphemy. Where did they find the guts to use sensitive phrases like “awesome”, “looks premium”, “feels great”, “excellent”, “best smartphone”, “it does everything” and other unimaginable words to describe a device you have never seen or felt?

Tecno Phantom 5 picture

As at press time, the blurry picture above is the only official press shot of Tecno Phantom 5 we could lay our hands on after a thorough searching. We wonder where our copy and paste bloggers are getting their heartfelt emotions. But then, we also wonder if Tecno is still running the pay per post campaign which they once used to try to blackmail us into their good side after BestMobs exposed some of their tactics years ago.

So, whether these “bloggers” are paid goons or they wrote with their common sense is a question for another day. For now, let’s take a look at how the Phantom 5 ranks among its purported Chinese contemporaries.
Tecno Phantom 5 vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 2

Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 phone

Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 comes with a 5.5″ FHD display and runs on Android 5.1 Lollipop OS like the Tecno phone. The Xiaomi device features only 2GB of RAM and 5-megapixel front facing camera but comes with a greater 3060mAh battery, superior processor ie MediaTek Helio X10 MT6795M with 2.0GHz octa-core CPU and expandable 16GB of storage.

Price of Xiaomi Redmi Note 2: $200
Price of Tecno Phantom 5: $350
Tecno Phantom 5 vs Lenovo K3 Note

Lenovo K3 Note phone

Lenovo K3 Note comes with a 2GB RAM and 16GB of expandable storage alongside a 1.7GHz octa-core MediaTek MT6752 chipset and 3,000mAh battery.

Price of Lenovo K3 Note: $145
Tecno Phantom 5 vs Elephone P8000

Elephone P8000 phone

Elephone P8000 comes with virtually the same spec sheet as the Phantom flagship but has a 4,200mAh battery instead of the 3,000mAh one Phantom 5 offers.

Elephone P8000 Price: $210
Tecno Phantom 5 vs Meizu MX5

Meizu MX5

Meizu MX5 comes with everything you can find on the Phantom 5’s specs table but has a bigger camera and slightly larger battery.

Price of Meizu MX5: $303
Conclusion

We are happy that our very own Tecno is going premium, however, before Tecno starts showing off its clothe of many colors, we’d like to remind Tecno that Nigerians are very price conscious people. Dear Tecno, if you are going to raise your cost, be ready to raise your quality and quantity even more.

With a deep sense of sincerity we won’t encourage anyone to spend their 70,000 naira on a device that has a “Tecno” branding. What about you?

http://bestmobs.com/tecno-phantom-5-quick-review/

Walaghi I trust bestmobs grin Make them press tecno head well well. Next time they go manufacture 500k phone with 2013 chipset

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by khalhokage(m): 9:27am On Sep 21, 2015
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Warlord3000(m): 9:42am On Sep 21, 2015
Lol funny write up.. But quite enlightening..

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Defaramade(m): 12:58pm On Sep 21, 2015
They are fanboys, they won't listen to you.
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Ebimablog: 1:26pm On Sep 21, 2015
The fight has only just begun

Bestmob versus Tecno Mobile
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by udemzyudex(m): 1:28pm On Sep 21, 2015
Nice write up but you spoil it with your conclusion, what's the meaning you won't advice anyone to go for a device with the name Tecno on it?

So if u have your product you won't put the name of your brand right?

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by tanfani: 2:36pm On Sep 21, 2015
Team H0vatek said the same thing about desperate bloggers that write what they don't know @ www.nairaland.com/2582017/differentiating-between-original-fake-tecno
I really would love to know their opinion on this matter
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by lekjons(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2015
Crap!

is that all it'specs??
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2015
lol even everywhere Tecno dey pay robots to post for them shocked grin grin

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by parrotibaba(m): 6:02pm On Sep 21, 2015
The war between bestmobs n tecno is just beginning grin grin
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Elparaiso(m): 6:43pm On Sep 21, 2015
Please, I am not here to support any side o. But is it not this Bestmob that ran hate campaign against innjoo in favour of infinix hot. Telling us that Innjoo note was nonsense compared to infinix zero?

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by vowiski(m): 7:13pm On Sep 21, 2015
A lot couple of bloggers had the device immediately after launch.

I really don't know the blogs Bestmobs claimed to have checked, because I can see images everywhere.

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Youngzedd(m): 7:24pm On Sep 21, 2015
This thread deserve front page.

CC:

Moderators: honsule, dragnet, puskin
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by drss(m): 7:32pm On Sep 21, 2015
all dem fake bloggers dem better go find work.
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by drss(m): 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2015
U have not used Tecno phantom 5 to see whether it really worth N70,000 n u are here advicing potential customers not to buy it Ur head correct @op
all dis dem fake bloggers dem better go find work.

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by CertifiedSamuel: 8:13pm On Sep 21, 2015
Although this post has some atom of truth in regards the fact that 'most' people won't shave out 70K just to purchase a Tecno phone, bestmobs blog saying that other bloggers who have talked good of the device are only blasphemy is very wrong.

What blogs have bestmobs gone through in other to confirm that no one has actually used the phone?

Blogs like misstechy, techcityng, geek.ng, androidportal, mobilityarena have actually received the device.

Although, the problem could be that, no one has done an unboxing video yet. I am sure if TechsNG had gotten the device, an unboxing video done by a Nigerian would have been available on youtube by now considering the fact that they do that first. Unfortunately, the only unboxing video I have come across isn't done by a Nigerian but instead, by a white person.

More so, saying you can't advise anyone to buying a 70K phone simply because it has 'Tecno' on it is totally uncalled-for. You should have just made your point without adding that line. #Peace!

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by udemzyudex(m): 8:48pm On Sep 21, 2015
Youngzedd:
This thread deserve front page.

CC:
Moderators: honsule, dragnet, puskin
Front page ko back page ni

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Joel3(m): 9:07pm On Sep 21, 2015
70k for tecno?
that can flex me for a whole month.
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by gwumex(m): 6:48am On Sep 22, 2015
Now its happening,tecno added just 3 features(4g,fingerprint,compass) to dis phone nd started selling it 4 70k+, by the time dey start using SNAPDRAGON PROCESSOR nd not dat useless mtk,super amoled display,retina display,good camera nd flash,good gpu,therm,barometer,wireless charging,heart beat rate monitor,water and dust resistance/proof with other great specs not mentioned.I wonder how much they are going to be selling it and by den people will know Samsung,HTC,iphone are not that greedy but they know the value of what they are producing.I like tecno phones cuz they are trying but I cant compare they to dos manufacturers.cuz I will rather pick a s4 Dan 2 pick dis phone

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Ebimablog: 7:10am On Sep 22, 2015
Yes that is one thing i do not actually like about them,they are everywhere monitoring all posts n comments

Jacide:
lol even everywhere Tecno dey pay robots to post for them shocked grin grin
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 22, 2015
I don't care about name am all about the specs , the GPU and processor if the specs can handle opengl 3.0 gaming then am game however for 56k id prob go with LG Gpad
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by sorextee(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2015
Sometimes, we nigerians are not sure about our sanity...

NIGERIAN: how much is this tecno Phantom 5?

SHOP OWNER: it's 70k

NIGERIAN: am I mad?
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 22, 2015
vowiski:
A lot couple of bloggers had the device immediately after launch.

I really don't know the blogs Bestmobs claimed to have checked, because I can see images everywhere.

That's the problem my guy. Those bloggers are paid with common phone that's why you never see them complaining of Tecno fault why? Because tecno don dash them one thing or the other.
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 22, 2015
OYa Tecnorats risten risten

As expected, the long anticipated Xiaomi Mi 4c is finally here. The smartphone was boxed in a 7.8 mm thick plastic casing that looks lively in all four color flavors — white, yellow, light blue, pink and black.

Xiaomi Mi 4c phone body

The highlights of Xiaomi Mi 4c features include the smartphone’s Infrared port which enables the device to comfortably work as a remote control for your TVs and other electronics. Mi 4c also makes use of a microUSB type-C connector for charging and USB communication with other gadgets. Inside the retail box, Xiaomi says they will include an adapter to allow the type-C wire connect to “normal” USB ports seamlessly for a small charge.

Xiaomi Mi 4c phone USB type c adapter

In terms of display, the Mi 4c comes with a 5-inch Full HD touchscreen that has a PPI of 441. The smartphone is armed by a 13-megapixel autofocus camera with dual flash and a 5-megapixel selfie unit at the front.

You’ll find a 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 chipset (two Cortex-A57 cores and four Cortex-A53 cores) roaring inside the engine alongside an Adreno 418 GPU and 2GB or 3GB of RAM depending on the configuration. The 2GB RAM model has 16GB of storage while the other variant houses 32GB of internal memory. Under the plastic back cover, you’ll find a 3,080mAh battery which packs support for Quick Charge 2.0.

Pricing and availability

In terms of pricing, Xiaomi Mi 4c 16GB (the model with 2GB of RAM) will be available for sale at 1,299 yuan ($204) while the 32GB model (3GB RAM) will set buyers back by 1,499 yuan ($235). The two variants will be go on sale tomorrow in China as well as on Xiaomi’s English website, MI.com.

http://bestmobs.com/xiaomi-mi-4c-official-infrared-usb-29078/
http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_4c-7512.php
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by ritababe(f): 5:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
drss:
U have not used Tecno phantom 5 to see whether it really worth N70,000 n u are here advicing potential customers not to buy it Ur head correct @op
all dis dem fake bloggers dem better go find work.

phantom5 has OTA update
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Joel3(m): 6:09pm On Sep 22, 2015
ritababe:

phantom5 has OTA update
ritababe is like ur chest done come dey big oh. what's the secret. or photoshoot.
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by ritababe(f): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
Joel3:
ritababe is like ur chest done come dey big oh. what's the secret. or photoshoot.

anyone
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by NCP: 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2015
Tecno is a Smartphone marketing company. No manufacturing plant, no R n D, no Product timelines and poor quality control with shody product launches.

Tecno is perfect definition of Poor Quality of Products and Subpar Product Materials used by roadside manufacturers in China. Wont blame them, Blame NCC and SON.
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by vowiski(m): 8:42pm On Sep 22, 2015
Jacide:

That's the problem my guy. Those bloggers are paid with common phone that's why you never see them complaining of Tecno fault why? Because tecno don dash them one thing or the other.

Where is your proof?
Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 22, 2015
CertifiedSamuel:
Although this post has some atom of truth in regards the fact that 'most' people won't shave out 70K just to purchase a Tecno phone, bestmobs blog saying that other bloggers who have talked good of the device are only blasphemy is very wrong.
What blogs have bestmobs gone through in other to confirm that no one has actually used the phone?
Blogs like misstechy, techcityng, geek.ng, androidportal, mobilityarena have actually received the device.
Although, the problem could be that, no one has done an unboxing video yet. I am sure if TechsNG had gotten the device, an unboxing video done by a Nigerian would have been available on youtube by now considering the fact that they do that first. Unfortunately, the only unboxing video I have come across isn't done by a Nigerian but instead, by a white person.
More so, saying you can't advise anyone to buying a 70K phone simply because it has 'Tecno' on it is totally uncalled-for. You should have just made your point without adding that line. #Peace!
vowiski:

Where is your proof?

Re: Tecno Phantom 5 Review: It's Not Worth 70k by Joel3(m): 8:25pm On Sep 24, 2015
ritababe:

anyone
tell me the one

<< Vivo X20 Vs Asus Zenfone 5 >> / Jumia Black Friday Phone Prices In 2019 / Airtel Lunches 2GB Data Fro Just #200 Only