Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,909 members, 7,817,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? (5476 Views)

Photo Of A Man Staring At His Newborn Baby / Nigerian Female Soldier Cradling Her Newborn Baby (Photos) / 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 10:20am On Sep 22, 2015
I believe in taking actions for justifiable reasons, but it appears no one is ready to compromise.

Being a Christian, I try as much as possible to relate family matters with the Bible (after all, the history of marriage/family is traceable to the book of genesis).

Here is the issue, my lady wants her daughter(s) ear lobes pierced. On the other hand, I see the act of ear lobe piercing as 'slavery'. The reason is clear, the only reference to piercing the ears in the Bible was when a person gave himself or herself to be a life-long slave to a master (Deuteronomy 15:16,17). This is symbolic enough for me to reject such on my daughter.

Besides, I see no reason why I should join the bandwagon or subject an infant to such pain; ear piercing does not make a girl a GIRL.

What if she grows to hate the idea of earrings/piercing? I believe she's free to pierce when she's old enough to take decisions.

Should a lovely/committed relationship end based on this disagreement? She wants this for her daughters, but I don't need them on our daughters. Am I too strict or old-fashioned? Should I change an idea I've harboured for over 15yrs?

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Dyt(f): 10:33am On Sep 22, 2015
grin grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wow
You are planning already?
God is so good

Did you not think when she grows up she might blame mummy for not even piercing 2 for her?

Its no slavery
Even the most religious person has it but might not use rings on it

Your choice
Your lady's
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 10:38am On Sep 22, 2015
Dyt:
grin grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wow
You are planning already?
God is so good

Did you not think when she grows up she might blame mummy for not even piercing 2 for her?

Its no slavery
Even the most religious person has it but might not use rings on it

Your choice
Your lady's
undecided
Lol, u sha won't kill me grin

Daddy would give her good reasons. The most religious person must have had hers pierced by her parents for no reason other than the bandwagon course.

I just need good reasons why I should accept the idea.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Idowuogbo(f): 10:38am On Sep 22, 2015
It is mandatory.

You no tell me na SU way you dey pratice ke....o ga o!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Dyt(f): 10:40am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Daddy would give her good reasons. The most religious person must have had hers pierced by her parents for no reason other than the bandwagon course.

My last 2 lines
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 10:43am On Sep 22, 2015
Idowuogbo:
It is mandatory.
You no tell me na SU way you dey pratice ke....o ga o!!!
She's free to use her accessories naw sad I just don't like the piercing
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 10:44am On Sep 22, 2015
Dyt:

My last 2 lines
okay, noted
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Idowuogbo(f): 10:47am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

She's free to use her accessories naw sad I just don't like the piercing
Confused.com

Earrings are accessories ya no? Then she is free to have wear a nose ring if na earring dey bother ba? God save you make you go born pikin like me,shebi na earring dey pepper you? I will pierce other parts that'll make you disown me. grin
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Onegai(f): 10:52am On Sep 22, 2015
Deuteronomy right? Old Testament bah? Which is about the Jewish race shebi?

And you're a Christian, which means you follow the teachings of Christ, right? Where the laws of the Hebrews are superseded by that of Christ? Think what I'm asking and then decide. Perhaps you may want to base your decision on something more than a law you don't follow (because to submit yourself to Jewish law and custom makes you a Jew not a Christian wink

(Seriously what are they telling people in church? )

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 10:56am On Sep 22, 2015
Idowuogbo:

Confused.com

Earrings are accessories ya no? Then she is free to have wear a nose ring if na earring dey bother ba? God save you make you go born pikin like me,shebi na earring dey pepper you? I will pierce other parts that'll make you disown me. grin
smh
I don't have issues with earrings but the hole in the earlobe of an infant. When she's grown enough to know whether to use earrings, she can go ahead to drill the ear.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 10:57am On Sep 22, 2015
Onegai:
Deuteronomy right? Old Testament bah? Which is about the Jewish race shebi?

And you're a Christian, which means you follow the teachings of Christ, right? Where the laws of the Hebrews are superseded by that of Christ?

Or are you a Jew?
Okay, nice. Why should I accept to drill her ear? I mean the ear of an innocent baby
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 22, 2015
Its ur decision na, but as for me i will pierce both her ear, nose and mouth
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by xynerise: 11:09am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Your daughter mustn't reason the way you do. Have you forgotten she will go to school and have friends who wear earrings? There and then her life starts. If her mother's ears are pierced, it means your judgement based on religion would make your wife a slave or something your mind tells you about ear piercing in women grin.

Question like "Mummy, why do you have your ear pierced and mine not pierced?" will be her first question. It becomes a thought provoking question.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Onegai(f): 11:12am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Okay, nice. Why should I accept to drill her ear? I mean the ear of an innocent baby

Heck if I know. All I'm saying is do what you feel is best for her, not because of a wrong attribution to a religion you don't follow. If you don't want to pierce her ears because it hurts and you don't want holes in your baby's head, that's fine. But don't erroneously say it's because it's biblical not to. Someone will read your initial post and declare in agreement "na sin! " and before you know it, it will be basis of a new generation church teaching.

The Old Testament exists to show us where we have come from, use the prophets to inspire us, the psalms are music but at the end of the day, as a follower of Christ, you are subject to Christ's laws on every matter (the fact that Christians keep cherrypicking theology from old and new testament according to whichever suits their needs on stuff like Divorce, Slavery, Usury, Gentiles etc is why every other religion insults us and call us confused).

But don't listen to me o I haven't attended church in 5 months grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 11:18am On Sep 22, 2015
xynerise:

Your daughter mustn't reason the way you do. Have you forgotten she will go to school and have friends who wear earrings? There and then her life starts. If her mother's ears are pierced, it means your judgement based on religion would make your wife a slave or something your mind tells you about ear piercing in women grin.

Question like "Mummy, why do you have your ear pierced and mine not pierced?" will be her first question. It becomes a thought provoking question.

hmmn, thought provoking. Thanks bro,
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 11:21am On Sep 22, 2015
Durent:
Its ur decision na, but as for me i will pierce both her ear, nose and mouth
Lol Wicked daddy
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by freecocoa(f): 11:28am On Sep 22, 2015
Some of you christians can be very funny, you only take the part of the bible that suits you at the time.

To avoid wahala, since you both are parents to the daughter(s)and want different things.

Take one ear while your lady takes the other, she can pierce her own side of the ear and you leave yours 'unpierced' good thing a baby comes with two ears, problem solved.undecided
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2015
Onegai:

Heck if I know. All I'm saying is do what you feel is best for her, not because of a wrong attribution to a religion you don't follow. If you don't want to pierce her ears because it hurts and you don't want holes in your baby's head, that's fine. But don't erroneously say it's because it's biblical not to. Someone will read your initial post and declare in agreement "na sin! " and before you know it, it will be basis of a new generation church teaching.

The Old Testament exists to show us where we have come from, use the prophets to inspire us, the psalms are music but at the end of the day, as a follower of Christ, you are subject to Christ's laws on every matter (the fact that Christians keep cherrypicking theology from old and new testament according to whichever suits their needs on stuff like Divorce, Slavery, Usury, Gentiles etc is why every other religion insults us and call us confused).

But don't listen to me o I haven't attended church in 5 months grin
Thanks for this!
Never will I consider ear piercing/earrings as objects of sin. Those who use these things have their convictions, likewise those who kick against the use of earrings.

I don't consider those with pierced ears as slaves since they have their reasons (real or bandwagon). I guess I have to search for a reason to accept it, and a reason to stay happy seeing the hole on an innocent infant.

Thank you, and don't stop going to Church. The Church needs you cheesy
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 11:32am On Sep 22, 2015
freecocoa:
Some of you christians can be very funny, you only take the part of the bible that suits you at the time.

To avoid wahala, since you both are parents to the daughter(s)and want different things.

Take one ear while your lady takes the other, she can pierce her own side of the ear and you leave yours 'unpierced' good thing a baby comes with two ears, problem solved.undecided

smh
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by freecocoa(f): 11:34am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

smh
Shake it very well and you best be shaking it at yourself for your one sided reasoning, nansenz. angry
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

smh

Sorry to cut in o, but freecocoa is right here.

When did ordinary ear lobe piercing become such a major issue?? So major that you had to quote bible verses to support your 'claim' abi is that a prerequisite to making heaven? undecided *thinking out loud*

Please let's respect the Bible and Christianity. I mean this is just a trivial issue jare. Nobody is a slave.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

smh
I don't have issues with earrings but the hole in the earlobe of an infant. When she's grown enough to know whether to use earrings, she can go ahead to drill the ear.
if she grows and doesn't like it, she can stop wearing rings on it and gradually the piercing will close... For now, the parents have every right to do what they feel is best for their daughter, the daughter is in their care totally. ..
Why do you send your kids to school? Why don't you wait till they're old enough to decide whether they wish to attend school or not? undecided .. why do you wear them shoe? Why not wait for them to decide whether they want sandals, slippers or shoes? undecided .. why give your baby pap when she may prefer custard in the future? undecided

As for the slavery talk, so all women that have ear piercings don turn slaves abi?

Abeg allow your wife take decision as regards that afterall she would be the one with the baby 80% of the time.. if not 100% sef undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 22, 2015
Back in Cross River, our church didn't condone earrings, so we who already had piercings stopped wearing our earrings.

However our pastors kids who didn't have any piercing went to UNICAL and came back with 2 or more holes per ear.
When my uncle's wife gave birth, my mum asked that her ears be pierced so she doesn't grow up, and as an act of rebellion, get 3 piercings.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2015
naanxie:

Sorry to cut in o, but freecocoa is right here.

When did ordinary ear lobe piercing become such a major issue?? So major that you had to quote bible verses to support your 'claim' abi is that a prerequisite to making heaven? undecided *thinking out loud*

Please let's respect the Bible and Christianity. I mean this is just a trivial issue jare. Nobody is a slave.

Nobody is a slave, bro. What you read is an history of earlobe piercing in the Bible. Many do not know the origin of such & similar practices.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 12:09pm On Sep 22, 2015
MarvellousGod:
if she grows and doesn't like it, she can stop wearing rings on it and gradually the piercing will close... For now, the parents have every right to do what they feel is best for their daughter, the daughter is in their care totally. ..
Why do you send your kids to school? Why don't you wait till they're old enough to decide whether they wish to attend school or not? undecided .. why do you wear them shoe? Why not wait for them to decide whether they want sandals, slippers or shoes? undecided .. why give your baby pap when she may prefer custard in the future? undecided

As for the slavery talk, so all women that have ear piercings don turn slaves abi?

Abeg allow your wife take decision as regards that afterall she would be the one with the baby 80% of the time.. if not 100% sef undecided

They need school to stay educated and knowledgeable
They need sandals to walk in the classroom
They need custard/pap to stay strong

Why don't we also drill the nose?

We all know we don't have any tangible reason for it. But like some posters said, I'll accept and join the train because everybody is doing it.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 12:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
tchidi:
Back in Cross River, our church didn't condone earrings, so we who already had piercings stopped wearing our earrings.

However our pastors kids who didn't have any piercing went to UNICAL and came back with 2 or more holes per ear.
When my uncle's wife gave birth, my mum asked that her ears be pierced so she doesn't grow up, and as an act of rebellion, get 3 piercings.
Your mom has tangible reasons. However, I don't think 3 piercing is rebellious. We are quick to call those with pierced nose prostit.utes while those with pierced earlobes 'saints'

Idowuogbo got 2 at birth, but went ahead to drill more.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Onegai(f): 12:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Nobody is a slave, bro. What you read is an history of earlobe piercing in the Bible. Many do not know the origin of such & similar practices.

Ear-piercing didn't originate from the Middle East (where the Old Testament took place). Other tribes and races existed far from there and they pierced their ears or bodies, like the Aztecs, Mayans, all those Southern African tribes, dem plenty infact. In the bible, in the middle east, according to Jewish customs, slaves pierced.

You don't have to follow the crowd, my daughter's ears aren't pierced yet (just because I want her father to be the baddie and take her to get it grin ). My daughter wears cloth diapers by my choice (even though I'm surrounded by people who don't) and she will not relax her hair (because I don't want to subject her to chemical burns like I had to suffer not because of any church teaching). But later if she chooses to, i will let her. If you don't want her ears pierced, that's fine but don't follow the crowd. Tell her mum "I would like it if her ears aren't pierced till she's so and so age and then we leave her to decide". Try waiting till age 10.

I just don't wish to see people use the bible wrongly to justify forcing choices on others because that is the fastest way to a rebellion.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Your mom has tangible reasons. However, I don't think 3 piercing is rebellious. We are quick to call those with pierced nose prostit.utes while those with pierced earlobes 'saints'

Idowuogbo got 2 at birth, but went ahead to drill more.

10 piercings is not rebellion, but when you do it to spite someone, it is. That's the point I'm making. Those kids pierced it just to see 'what will they do? undecided'
They even began using attachments on their hair that got to their bumbum side! grin grin just to dare the church. That is the rebellion, not the act itself.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2015
Onegai:

Ear-piercing didn't originate from the Middle East (where the Old Testament took place). Other tribes and races existed far from there and they pierced their ears or bodies, like the Aztecs, Mayans, all those Southern African tribes, dem plenty infact. In the bible, in the middle east, according to Jewish customs, slaves pierced.

You don't have to follow the crowd, my daughter's ears aren't pierced yet (just because I want her father to be the baddie and take her to get it grin ). My daughter wears cloth diapers by my choice (even though I'm surrounded by people who don't) and she will not relax her hair (because I don't want to subject her to chemical burns like I had to suffer not because of any church teaching). But later if she chooses to, i will let her. If you don't want her ears pierced, that's fine but don't follow the crowd. Tell her mum "I would like it if her ears aren't pierced till she's so and so age and then we leave her to decide". Try waiting till age 10.

I just don't wish to see people use the bible wrongly to justify forcing choices on others because that is the fastest way to a rebellion.
Absolutely great! I'll copy that line in quote, cheesy
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Acidosis(m): 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2015
tchidi:

10 piercings is not rebellion, but when you do it to spite someone, it is. That's the point I'm making. Those kids pierced it just to see 'what will they do? undecided'
They even began using attachments on their hair that got to their bumbum side! grin grin just to dare the church. That is the rebellion, not the act itself.
grin
lol, that's a serious case
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by chynergy1(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
it s not. it is optional.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by freecocoa(f): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Absolutely great! I'll copy that line in quote, cheesy
See your wide mouth, to you and so many others, everything started with the bible, forgetting that christianity is just a few thousands of years old whereas the world is billions of years old.

Let me see you quote the bible carelessly again.tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Stay With My Uncle For 4 Years But Am Having Issues / Why DO Men Refuse Food When They Have Misunderstanding With Their Wife/partner / Happy International Women's Day 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.