Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Is The Auto Section Dead??? - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is The Auto Section Dead??? (5652 Views)

Middlemen/agents Ruining The Reputation Of Auto Section / New Scammers On Auto Section / We Need Auto Section For Individual Sellers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
lourash:

Amen oooo

Meanwhile I think if moderators will not find it offensive though that its time to create a thread just to identify people that only post on car threads without any intention to buy , there are lots of them on nairaland and its time to expose them. Also dealers should do a good work of attaching needed details to every car post

.....very funny. I mean posts like this shows the cognitive level of some of the people that post here on nairaland. Only birds of same feather will also applaud this same level of absurdity.
The last time i checked , this forum was still a public one where there is a minimal level of restriction. I never understand how people come here to advertise on a public forum and fail to put reasonable details on the wares they displaying for sale and get calls from people who take their time and money to call you for a product you wish to sell and such a prospective buyer is labelled unserious. It's the highest level of stupidity. Who is doing the favour. Seller that needs to turnover his wares into cash to reduce holding costs or the buyer who has shown interest no matter how little? Haba.!

Customer service is zero here abeg.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Fhemmmy: 1:53am On Sep 29, 2015
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, i think this is the best thread on NL Auto section at the moment, where the customers are able to speak their mind and help us - The dealers to improve . . .
To to the customers, we have heard you and thanks for all that has been said please go ahead and tell us more, so we could improve and be better or change how things are done . . . . .
If the dealers has wronged you in any form or shape, please forgive us, the dealers.

We know without deals, there is no dealers and without the customers, there is no deal . . . . Thanks and keep the complaints coming.,

5 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by kayjasper(f): 2:09am On Sep 29, 2015
Fhemmmy:
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, i think this is the best thread on NL Auto section at the moment, where the customers are able to speak their mind and help us - The dealers to improve . . .
To to the customers, we have heard you and thanks for all that has been said please go ahead and tell us more, so we could improve and be better or change how things are done . . . . .
If the dealers has wronged you in any form or shape, please forgive us, the dealers.

We know without deals, there is no dealers and without the customers, there is no deal . . . . Thanks and keep the complaints coming.,

God bless u Mr Fhemmmy!!!

This is the attitude we expected from most dealers here instead of all the arrogant posture they've been displaying even on this thread.

Instead if them to try and take note of their pitfalls they all have been telling us " we don't even get market from Nairaland " and yet they are here posting from 2am to 12am.

When people take time out to make adjustments to their business ways, there is bound to be increased patronage sooner than later.

We hope all concerned have learnt a thing or two from this thread.

We hope to see changes in the Auto Section real soon.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Flye: 2:37am On Sep 29, 2015
kayjasper:

I doff my hat for you brother!!

If the section is bad....then its the dealers we should blame. Dealers like the Op Dollz.
She said that people price cars like crayfish from Oyingbo. Just imagine the Arrogance?

You want to sell a car and I should not price? And why won't I price a car and know what it costs before leaving my place to come check the car out?

So u think I will waste my time and energy to come and inspect your car, then I like it and you tell me some bullshit price after wasting all my time?

Forget all that nonsense you just said Dollz, reasonable people will price and know what their budget is before setting out.
Do you expect anyone to come and be viewing a car that they can't afford?
When they come and see the car and then they can't afford the price in the long run of what good is that?

In all sincerity I find the auto dealers on Nairaland very arrogant and full of themselves.
They behave as if they are doing their prospective clients a favor.

They won't answer any questions from clients, and later just like this Op they will call it "Crayfish Pricing". Just imagine?

1. Check out the post of dealers here, maybe two pictures only, picture of the tyres alone and the back seat. And when u ask them for more pictures they say, call or come for inspection.

Won't you know the value of what u want before spending money to go and see the "junk" car they have for sale?
Or u think everyone stays in Lagos like most dealers?

2. She said people on Olx are more forthcoming, well since OLX doesn't have space to interact with sellers except to make calls, they may be calling but how many people believe in OLX and its credibility?

3. Olanshi, u sef dey open mouth for here....I laugh at you.
All your cars are over priced and out of range from the "average market price" and u want people to buy from you?
Guy, go and learn that to sell a car, you don't want to put all your gains in just one deal.
When a Nairaland dealer will want to gain 300k on just one ride? Who will come and buy from you?

4. Finally, i will advice you dealers to always make sure u post detailed pictures of cars u want to sell. Full engine pix, front pictures, both sides, rear view, dashboard, front seats and back seats....that's a total of 7 pictures.
Is that too hard to do?

And all these yeye believe that a serious buyer will call you is nothing but a fallacy!!
I have helped a lot of friends and Family source cars here on Nairaland successfully.
I will see a good car and the moment you refuse to put a price I won't call you.!!!
Why do u want to sell a car and don't want people to know the car price? Na free?

And then when we ask the Dealers questions, all they will keep saying is "Available", " Going ".
Going to where? Nonsense people.

If u dealers stop being arrogant and silly maybe more people will be buying cars from y'all.

You v said it all, the attitude of dealers here is so bad, how do u expect me to take u serious when u posted just two pics and no price attached I v bought two cars here for friends but I bought those cars from new guy/owners because they don't display the attitude of average Nairaland dealers.
Funny thing is that when you ask for price from real Nairaland dealers, they tell u to call. Just imagine u have to call 10 delears to know their price in a single day, at the end they will all give you ridiculously high price that u will blame yourself for calling.

No doubt some buyers are annoying, they price cars so low that u wonder if they want to steal it but dealers are the major problem here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by diasporaauto: 2:55am On Sep 29, 2015
Is not about arrogance, if my price interests you buy. If not, go somewhere else. Then check US websites before planning to buy a car to compare prices. The cars are not bought on credit abroad but you do wanna buy a car on credit.

www.africaautomall.com
info@africaaautomall.com
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by RoyalRoy(m): 3:05am On Sep 29, 2015
diasporaauto:
Is not about arrogance, if my price interests you buy. If not, go somewhere else. Then check US websites before planning to buy a car to compare prices. The cars are not bought on credit abroad but you do wanna buy a car on credit.

www.africaautomall.com
info@africaaautomall.com

That's if they put a price tag on their cars at all.

undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Flye: 4:41am On Sep 29, 2015
RoyalRoy:

That's if they put a price tag on their cars at all.

undecided
That is the most annoying thing about the so called Nairaland dealers, they will refuse to put price tag on the cars they advertised. They will write all sort of stories about the car but price will never be included, when u request for price some will arrogantly ignore u and post something like "serious buyer calls" " available to serious buyer" etc as if u don't have the right to know the price of what they are selling.

The habit of call to know the price raises red flag which show the seller is dishonest and he/she is hiding something.

Some time I deliberately move from thread to thread to ask for the price not because I want to buy but I want them to put the price because it is distasteful to market a product without price and it discourage so many potential buyers.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by IamOpemipo(m): 7:12am On Sep 29, 2015
Instead of stating the car details including the prices..my nigga will b busy typing available, happy Sunday, happy weeknd or this open teeth smiley grin ..till the topic reach page 50 with no buyer..

Customer service should be priority to each dealers, u shldnt expect everyone that price ya cars to end up buying. Even if u getting bigger sales frm oda site, dnt come here and rub it on people's faces, u dunno who's reading or watching, let ya integrity and good attitude precede you. See urself as a brand

5 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by chronique(m): 8:17am On Sep 29, 2015
But on a serious note,I don't think some of you are being fair to some of us by claiming we don't state our prices. Anyone who jumps on any of my thread knows that the first thing you'd see,is the name of the car with the year model and price,boldly written as the topic. If people aren't seeing that,I don't see how that should be a fault of mine. Secondly,the fact that we talk about our clients coming from other places,shouldn't be taken as arrogance. It's just a statement of fact of what currently obtains in our biz. I have nairalanders on my bbm. Most of them haven't bought a car from me yet but that doesn't stop me from responding to their numerous inquiries everytime I put up a new car picture on my dp,or send a bc out. It doesn't mean they cant buy tomorrow. My relationship with some of them,has even gone past the client/seller relationship.
Someone also posted about the cotonou biz and the price differentials between what we advertise here. Now,let me make one quick clarification here. The prices quoted on nairaland,aren't the final prices we sell. Sometimes,we are forced to raise the asking prices higher than what we'd normally ask for cos some clients are very good at offering ridiculous prices and when you point them to that fact,they'd tell you it's market and that they are at liberty to price. Whilst that might be true,people should try and be sensible enough to know what not to offer when pricing. Or how am I expected to answer someone who sees my advert late in the night when I'm sleeping or very early in the morning,and wakes me up with a call and starts pricing a 2012 honda pilot @ 3m,or a 2007 camry @ 900k? How am I supposed to react when someone makes me cancel an important call only to offer me 450k for a clean Nigerian used honda accord 2005 model? Are cars that cheap? Going back to the cotonou thing,prices in cotonou are cheaper than lagos cleared vehicles cos clearing rates from cotonou are cheaper. Albeit,not every client wants a cotonou cleared vehicle. Most clients always insist on lagos cleared and that comes with a price tag. Moreover,all cars can't be the same prices. While some of us sell more of cars bought @ the auction,some of us also sell cars bought direct from the dealership in the US and such cars are way more expensive that what you get at the auction. My partner in the US once showed me a 1999 camry with 40k original miles and it was selling for 7500 dollars;if you make the mistake of buying that and shipping to Nigeria,and posting it on NL,they'd call you all sort of names. My point is this: the cotonou market isn't a hidden secret;it has always been there and would still be there cos clients have preferences. A lagos cleared vehicle and a cotonou cleared vehicle,can never be the same price.
Like I said earlier on,the relationship between the seller and buyer should see both respecting each other.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 29, 2015
diasporaauto:

www.africaautomall.com
info@africaaautomall.com

......another shortsighted one.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Carshopper(m): 8:34am On Sep 29, 2015
The auto section neva die ..E still dey use it's last breathe cheesy

All inputs said will hold water . But I believe as a dealer/marketer/sales rep, we hold our customers the BEST information and when it's comes to selling PRICE is the best information a client looks out for.

People have mentioned OLX ...but they didn't mention that on OLX they always STATE price ..

Dealers, we need to be professional n stand out from the jokers that come into auto section to advertise . Because it's free doesn't mean u should leave out the most important details.

Yes we know most dealers if not all act as middlemen, which isn't bad but delivery of the info is sometimes lacking .

I can attest to some points stated here about dealers been arrogant and sounding rude on the phone....I once told a close dealer my mind Cus he/she was very rude and arrogant. Hey , this isn't a competition or a battle ...the same way u b nice to ur best best clients is the same way u b nice to the one asking or needing more information ....sometimes, all the time is that information u pass across nicely dat sells you.

But una clients, sometimes una can call and call and call without gettting anywhere. cheesy grin...Once told a client after weeks of sending me different lots on copart that he isn't ready and when he is ready I will know ...and truth be told, when he was ready he jus called me up and did the needful - drop da commitment.

Clients go all over pricing and pricing and keep pricing ....it wld have been so easy if knowing your budget you approach a dealer and he will guide you on BEST options your pocket can fetch-dats his job , dats why he is in the BEST position to tell you. You don't look for a 2008 Toyota Camry and tell me you get 1.4 and na toks you dey find..hey common ...Even if we show you the one for 1.4 next line will b "Nah not my specs...don't u have it in leather n sky blue grin

Wit all said, I think the Moderators have a big role to play in brining the auto section back to life. But I guess they jus read the complains ...den move over to playing candy crush.

Also the owners of nairaland can also create a PRICE dialogue box ...so without putting price, your ad doesn't post

Na jus my own thots oooo cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 29, 2015
....who is doing the favour here?
What I want to advise every buyer is to try cotonou auto market. The benefits far outweigh any perceived risks. You see several options and you can price or bargain over there without someone insulting your mother just for daring to state your counter offer. The cars there are very clean and you can do a car history check before buying. You will see several options such that 1 seller will nit be able to do too much shakara for you. Its a buyer's market. Your car can be with you in lagos 72 hours after purchase or less so long as you patronise the genuine agents( dem boku here for nairaland). The customer service is great with the "padrone "(sic) treating you like a special client because they know their livelihood depends on your patronage. The truth is a lot of these so called dealers on nairaland even go their to buy and a good number of the cars you see in Berger auto market in lagos came from cotonou.
I have become a convert of this cotonou deals because of the benefits I just reaped recently. I set out to buy a 2004/5 rx 330 but ended up buying a full optioned 4wd rx350 with just an additional 220k added to the initial value I went with. I have taken possession of the car and we did the history check before paying so it wasn't like we bought an accidented car or a salvage one. All the indicators were intact and with a very high score as well. It was also a 1 owner car at the time we bought with a reasonable mileage.

Please check cotonou auto market and stop being insulted by middlemen with terrible attitude parading as dealers on your money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by dollz(f): 12:27pm On Sep 30, 2015
Been offline guys

Didn't know my small post has gone this far.

What a lot of endusers don't understand about middle men and car dealers is the fact that a car advertised by a middle man is still subject to the owner's price on the car
E.g Owner says he wants 1m on a car , he keeps the car in my lot and issues crop on the car .Owner denies dose issues.,a dealer uses his money to fix intending to sale n recoup his quid back.
For a lot of us,car biz is a full time gig with investments of time and money n knocks to staff and mechanics to make sure a used car is perfect for an end user .

My major clients have come from referrals hinged on honesty ..I tell my clients my markups sometimes and they are comfortable.
If that's arrogant ,mehn ,u gatz hug a transformer....

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by dollz(f): 12:32pm On Sep 30, 2015
Quite frankly
In terms of pricing ,forget all that Konga wash on life is better online ...its not
U state a price online ,u call the client and u agreed on price
U get to the car and its far from fine
U renegotiate to the detriment of the seller (who should have been honest in the first place)

My opinion, this is Naija, disregard the pricing and go check the car first.
But don't be a winch ,do ur research online to see the market price.

For me Honesty on the part of dealer and buyer is needed..

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by emmanuel596(m): 12:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
dollz:
When I join the auto section in 2009/10, it was vibrant in terms of sales, dealer partnership and transparency.
However ,in the last few months, I think our auto section is dying.
I joined NL to sell cars and learn more about the car business but it seems like serious clients go to olx,cheki and efritin.com.NL is now full of online pricers who probably have 15mb data to burn.I have nothing against speculators but I'm incensed particularly at those who price cars like crayfish in oyingbo market.

My question is how do we get serious paying clients to come to the auto section without investing in heavy dollar ads

Urs truly

Nice one op I think the auto section seem this way because of the high numbers of online scammers and fake car dealers people don wise and at the same time I think it's not a bad idea wanting to know the price of toys online
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by dollz(f): 12:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
kayjasper:

If the section is bad....then its the dealers we should blame. Dealers like the Op Dollz.
She said that people price cars like crayfish from Oyingbo. Just imagine the Arrogance?

You want to sell a car and I should not price? And why won't I price a car and know what it costs before leaving my place to come check the car out?

So u think I will waste my time and energy to come and inspect your car, then I like it and you tell me some bullshit price after wasting all my time?

Forget all that nonsense you just said Dollz, reasonable people will price and know what their budget is before setting out.
When they come and see the car and then they can't afford the price in the long run of what good is that?

In all sincerity I find the auto dealers on Nairaland very arrogant and full of themselves.

They won't answer any questions from clients, and later just like this Op they will call it "Crayfish Pricing". Just imagine?

1. Check out the post of dealers here, maybe two pictures only, picture of the tyres alone and the back seat. And when u ask them for more pictures they say, call or come for inspection.

Won't you know the value of what u want before spending money to go and see the "junk" car they have for sale?

2. She said people on Olx are more forthcoming, well since OLX doesn't have space to interact with sellers except to make calls, they may be calling but how many people believe in OLX and its credibility?

All your cars are over priced and out of range from the "average market price" and u want people to buy from you?
Guy, go and learn that to sell a car, you don't want to put all your gains in just one deal.
When a Nairaland dealer will want to gain 300k on just one ride? Who will come and buy from you?

4. Finally, i will advice you dealers to always make sure u post detailed pictures of cars u want to sell. Full engine pix, front pictures, both sides, rear view, dashboard, front seats and back seats....that's a total of 7 pictures.
Is that too hard to do?

And all these yeye believe that a serious buyer will call you is nothing but a fallacy!!
I have helped a lot of friends and Family source cars here on Nairaland successfully.
I will see a good car and the moment you refuse to put a price I won't call you.!!!
Why do u want to sell a car and don't want people to know the car price? Na free?

And then when we ask the Dealers questions, all they will keep saying is "Available", " Going ".

If u dealers stop being arrogant and silly maybe more people will be buying cars from y'all.

Still wondering how my sarcastic comment on crayfish pricing can be misconstrued as arrogance
Thank God, this is merely online and not RTB..
For all those saying I'm living in a fantasyland onncar prices,do check my 2009 posts till date.I started trading on cheap ,bank Auctions.So if there is anyone who should know that cheap sells ,its me.
Most of my auction deals never make it to nairaland cause We tend to ask plenty questions when others ask for my address and buy off... My bb pin is available for all those still interested in the auction part of my business...
N.B.. Being cautious is good, but slacking on a fantastic deal is just lack of good sense to moi
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by dollz(f): 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
kayjasper:

This is the attitude we expected from most dealers here instead of all the arrogant posture they've been displaying even on this thread.

Instead if them to try and take note of their pitfalls they all have been telling us " we don't even get market from Nairaland " and yet they are here posting from 2am to 12am.

When people take time out to make adjustments to their business ways, there is bound to be increased patronage sooner than later.

Are Dealers selling Yes...At the end of the day, Dealers don't care whether it's nairaland or cheki or tradestable..Quid is Quid and referrals do come in handy...

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by dollz(f): 12:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
kayjasper:

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by rickkychidex111(m): 6:02pm On Oct 01, 2015
Nice one @ dolls for this post/thread. And I appreciate all customers for stating their views on this issue. It enables us to improve on the areas we lack behind.
The truth is no one is perfect. Myself I don't put prices on some cars I post online....but I have my reasons. Because to some extent someone who is really serious in buying a car can spare 100naira to call and make enquires. Even in OLX or other sites...if you see a car you like...you will still call the seller. Some people recharge their phones with above 5k and call their girlfriends.....so why cant one spare just 100naira to make enquires for a car. Aside that....whatsapp & BBM is there to interact/communicate if one is managing the airtym. But most times when we fix price....some Nigerians still contact and will just waste your time. Let me give a scenerio;
How can someone contact for a 2008 Lexus rx350 of 3.5m-3.8m.....after sending several pictures..after several days discussing on d cars...he now said budget is 1.8m.....and from beginning I asked for budget yet the person refused to drop a budget. Different scenerios that iu can't mention all.

Some buyers are just out to waste precious time. We are very serious people. Car business is a very serious business. Some people said some car prices are high. Yeah its the truth......cos u can't expect all car prices to be the same. People go abroad to import cars and they get them in different prices....so if Mr. Apple is selling for 4.5m.......Mr. Ball can sell for 4.8m. Because all cars cannot be in same condition...or have exactly same mileage. Good sound Cars also determine safety of lives....so u dont expect us to sell anyhow car. These are the things buyers need to understand.

Aside that...as dollz said....most times the fault is from the owner of car who imported it and brought it to showroom for us to display/market. They stand on their take home price and there's nothing we sellers can do. Then most of these Tokumbo cars we work on them after its brought into naija.....because they were used abroad too.....so you don't expect them to be 100percent. After we have changed several things to make d car look perfect....paying mechanic....and other expenses....you don't expect the car to be same anymore. So price will go up a bit.

Aside that everyone can't be the same. Everyone don't reason same way....some people say some sellers are arrogant. Yes its d truth....not all dealers understand customer service and how to relate with customers. Education also goes a long way into relating with people which most dealers lack....cos not every dealer is well educated. Some dealers just go into the business because of the profit they can make...which make them to be very greedy....they are not passionate about the biz at all. Then sometimes customers do push us to the wall.....we are humans as well....we are not robots cos d cars we didn't steal them. There are times buyers will price a car as if its tomatoes....you don't expect us to be happy. There are so many things to be said but I'll just reserve my comments for now.

May God help us all. Then truth is that we need you guys (buyers)....cos without you we can't make sales....and we can't pay bills.
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by MyMouth(m): 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2015
kayjasper:

Is that too hard to do?

This babe, u too much! U don talk am finish! I need buy u something for this true talk! Imagin a dealer asking for 700k for fairly used golf 3! Smh

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Flye: 11:29pm On Oct 01, 2015
@rickkychidex111 it is not about 100naira to call but imagine you see about 10post in Nairaland auto section and only 3 has price tag and the dealer says serious buyer should call, how many dealer will u call in a day.
Attaching price gives the prospective buyer idea of ur range and he/she can figure it out whether to call you or not base on his/her own budget.

Refusal to publicly state price also send wrong message that the dealer wants to capitalize on innocent buyer's little knowledge about the cost of the car.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by MSItachi: 12:08am On Oct 02, 2015
rickkychidex111:
Nice one @ dolls for this post/thread. And I appreciate all customers for stating their views on this issue. It enables us to improve on the areas we lack behind.
The truth is no one is perfect. Myself I don't put prices on some cars I post online....but I have my reasons. Because to some extent someone who is really serious in buying a car can spare 100naira to call and make enquires. Even in OLX or other sites...if you see a car you like...you will still call the seller. Some people recharge their phones with above 5k and call their girlfriends.....so why cant one spare just 100naira to make enquires for a car. Aside that....whatsapp & BBM is there to interact/communicate if one is managing the airtym. But most times when we fix price....some Nigerians still contact and will just waste your time. Let me give a scenerio;
How can someone contact for a 2008 Lexus rx350 of 3.5m-3.8m.....after sending several pictures..after several days discussing on d cars...he now said budget is 1.8m.....and from beginning I asked for budget yet the person refused to drop a budget. Different scenerios that iu can't mention all.

Some buyers are just out to waste precious time. We are very serious people. Car business is a very serious business. Some people said some car prices are high. Yeah its the truth......cos u can't expect all car prices to be the same. People go abroad to import cars and they get them in different prices....so if Mr. Apple is selling for 4.5m.......Mr. Ball can sell for 4.8m. Because all cars cannot be in same condition...or have exactly same mileage. Good sound Cars also determine safety of lives....so u dont expect us to sell anyhow car. These are the things buyers need to understand.

Aside that...as dollz said....most times the fault is from the owner of car who imported it and brought it to showroom for us to display/market. They stand on their take home price and there's nothing we sellers can do. Then most of these Tokumbo cars we work on them after its brought into naija.....because they were used abroad too.....so you don't expect them to be 100percent. After we have changed several things to make d car look perfect....paying mechanic....and other expenses....you don't expect the car to be same anymore. So price will go up a bit.

Aside that everyone can't be the same. Everyone don't reason same way....some people say some sellers are arrogant. Yes its d truth....not all dealers understand customer service and how to relate with customers. Education also goes a long way into relating with people which most dealers lack....cos not every dealer is well educated. Some dealers just go into the business because of the profit they can make...which make them to be very greedy....they are not passionate about the biz at all. Then sometimes customers do push us to the wall.....we are humans as well....we are not robots cos d cars we didn't steal them. There are times buyers will price a car as if its tomatoes....you don't expect us to be happy. There are so many things to be said but I'll just reserve my comments for now.

May God help us all. Then truth is that we need you guys (buyers)....cos without you we can't make sales....and we can't pay bills.

Simple solution... Post exhaustive pictures of the car minimum 12. Put the final price... If competitive, clients will call you and place the order also Write on the post that the price is final. Forget all this negotiable, slightly negotiable things

Most times in foreign car sites there is no room for bargain. If you like what you see you pay and seal the deal. But sellers have to be frank enough to also include final price and give enough information about the car. Who go buy market go buy. Not just post 3 random pictures and saying call.. Call for what? More pictures?

When taking pictures Start from front view and work your way clockwise or anticlockwise give us the outside view including tires and all. Next open the door and do same thing. Dashboard front seat back seat front console etc. Gone are the days of kodak camera film. Now Na digital so you can snap 1million photos. I believe some sellers are just too lazy. If truly this business is all you do then why hesitate. It will not take more than 1hour to post a proper advert on a car. Both snapping pictures and posting.

Another thing I notice Nigerian sellers don't like doing. Instead of highlighting if there is a fault with any part of the car they cover it. But if it's a foreign website that is the part that will be highlighted... This is online business, I should have sufficient information to buy any product from what you post online. What if the client is in Togo or Ghana will he have to fly down and inspect first. I think we are still a long way from understanding the concept of online business.

8 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by maballack(m): 8:26pm On Oct 02, 2015
@ricckychidex111

I can bet that you dint put a price on the RX350 if not the seller wouldnt waste your time and say 1.8 ..thats what you get from keeping price to ypurself..

3 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 03, 2015
Atouba:
Please check cotonou auto market and stop being insulted by middlemen with terrible attitude parading as dealers on your money.

Had to quote this as a point to remember. Thanks. I guess our nairaland auto dealers have completely and finally assumed the notorious image of the proverbial 'snakeskin oil used car salesman'. All flash and brash.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by rickkychidex111(m): 12:04am On Oct 05, 2015
maballack:
@ricckychidex111

I can bet that you dint put a price on the RX350 if not the seller wouldnt waste your time and say 1.8 ..thats what you get from keeping price to ypurself..

I posted price...and everyone knows the price range of a Toks 07-09 rx350...let's say from 3m-4m......so why on earth one will now say 1.8m after sending several pics to him....on several days for him to select and make choice.

Its evident that he's not ready and just wanted to ask.....or maybe he was expecting cash and Maga didn't pay grin
Its annoying.
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by rickkychidex111(m): 12:17am On Oct 05, 2015
MSItachi:

Simple solution... Post exhaustive pictures of the car minimum 12. Put the final price... If competitive, clients will call you and place the order also Write on the post that the price is final. Forget all this negotiable, slightly negotiable things

Most times in foreign car sites there is no room for bargain. If you like what you see you pay and seal the deal. But sellers have to be frank enough to also include final price and give enough information about the car. Who go buy market go buy. Not just post 3 random pictures and saying call.. Call for what? More pictures?

When taking pictures Start from front view and work your way clockwise or anticlockwise give us the outside view including tires and all. Next open the door and do same thing. Dashboard front seat back seat front console etc. Gone are the days of kodak camera film. Now Na digital so you can snap 1million photos. I believe some sellers are just too lazy. If truly this business is all you do then why hesitate. It will not take more than 1hour to post a proper advert on a car. Both snapping pictures and posting.

Another thing I notice Nigerian sellers don't like doing. Instead of highlighting if there is a fault with any part of the car they cover it. But if it's a foreign website that is the part that will be highlighted... This is online business, I should have sufficient information to buy any product from what you post online. What if the client is in Togo or Ghana will he have to fly down and inspect first. I think we are still a long way from understanding the concept of online business.

I understand your point. Which is a very good one. When u talk of pictures...i post lost of it here. To an extent someone wrote on my post that I should add my initials on my pictures so that people won't copy them for scam purposes. If someone contact me privately for a ride....I do provide detailed info and prefer sending all pics to d buyer...than posting everything online....in that way buyer can see clearly what he's buying before coming for physical inspection.
Even on OLX..some people post just 2 pics...but when u contact them they will send you all the rest of pictures u need for the car. Online is just like a sample picture....if you contact seller he should send more.

Aside that...pics are decieving most times. There are situations whereby people will snap d car when it was newly bought and npost it online....but when you inspect the car physically you will be highly dissapointed. That's one area most people lie a lot. So several things are involved in this biz that one can't just talk about them all. But all the same we learn everyday so that we can get better.
Talking about doing only car biz....I don't. I do several other things....not just cars alone. So its not about being lazy. One has so many busy schedules. Am not defending anyone.....am only talking about myself. But I do have lots of pics to dish out. If its by sending pics to buyers.....then I should be richer than Bill Gates.
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Griffen(m): 2:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by elshanAutos: 3:14pm On Jan 11, 2016
flybiz08:

Yes you are. I have followed most cars you post here and they are way too expensive and always above the 'average market price'.

Same goes with another dealer called Chibecan. For all our sakes, the economy is not in good shape. Always remember that you cannot make a killing with one deal. Be considerate and sales will come your way.
Expensive is relative. 'Average market price' in this context, is also relative.
There's Nairaland Autos Section market price, and there's the real life market price.
So, which are you referring to?
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by seyema(m): 7:54am On Jun 24, 2016
kayjasper:

Is that too hard to do?

Nice observation
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Olisa4all: 10:00am On Aug 17, 2016
kayjasper:

Is that too hard to do?

WORD

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by LexngtonSteele: 9:47pm On May 15, 2017
kayjasper:

Is that too hard to do?

Dear kayjasper,

This is not a derogatory post but an observation, I mistakenly stumbled on this thread (it's 2 years old afterall).

This particular post was so very well-articulated and undoubtedly the best comment and I was shocked to see you were the author. No offence, but you have exhibited some of the traits you accused the dealers of. What happened during the transition between buyer & dealer?

This isn't meant to be accusatory but I am just a bit amused at the switch. Wish you happy sales, your cars usually move fast. TK

3 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 15, 2017
dollz:
Noticed that the ad pricing has remained static for almost two months due to low volume of traffic
i want to marry u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Neat 05 Toyota Matrix Reg Alloy For Jst 950k Askin See Pix... / SOLD SOLD SOLD.2012 Model Volkswagen Golf Forsale Very Clean / Reg 010 GLK 350 MB For Sale 5m Asking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.