Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,398 members, 7,822,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us (16445 Views)

E-passport Reissue London - Faulty Online Application Form / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / Anyone @ Nig.immig Service Abj Who Can Help With Speedy Passport Reissue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 8:18pm On Apr 15, 2009
Has anyone done this recently? I did a reissue through the Atlanta Consulate about 2 years ago, and it was not an easy task. My brother's passport is over 10 years old, so he filled out the form on Atlanta's website and was about to send it to them, so he called them to ask a question, and was told they no longer handle passport Reissues. Even though their freaking website says otherwise.

No luck speaking to a live person in the NY office either. On the website there is nothing that tells you how much it is for the reissue. There is an online e-passport to be filled. However, in the end it says to bring the completed form into the nearest passport office (see below). It would make absolutely no sense to have to appear in person for this crap.

So, does anyone have a clue what the new procedure is?
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 4:26pm On Apr 17, 2009
Thought I should post an update to my post. Brother did finally talk to someone at the NY consulate. Unfortunately, the new passport format, digital or whatever it is, requires physical presence. So, they want him to travel to NY for an interview. Complete insanity!

Here is the new procedure for those that need a reissue. No instructions are on their website. This is what the lady told my brother.

- Fill out the online form
- In the end when you click submit, it will take you to a payment page (No information how much it costs upfront). I believe he said she mentioned $135
- After paying you will get a receipt. Print the receipt. And hopefully an option to print the completed form.
- You will notified of an interview date by mail.
- You will head to NY for your interview.

They have to make this procedure simpler for God's sake! How many folks will have the time and money to travel to NY for this crap!
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 18, 2009
My guy, u seem surprised. Nigeria is Nigeria and Nigerians will be Nigerians wherever and whenever.
Mine took almost 20,000 months to process. The phone operators (D.C office) will dribble you like okocha men. They will transfer your calls so much that you'll run out of minutes. A friend of mine even had someone's American passport mailed to him instead of his Nigerian passport.
They are totally useless at the embassy. Pray you never have to deal with them again.

My advice is this, if your passport is almost expired, travel down to naija for hols (if you can) and get it done in naija. It only takes 3 days. The embassy might take 4 months. They have excuses such as the machine is not working, they need confirmation from yada yada yada. Avoid them at all costs.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Thadude(m): 11:40am On Apr 18, 2009
Damn this is frightening cos I need to get one also.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Lax75(m): 4:41am On Apr 21, 2009
Guys, if only you could take a trip to Nigeria. My brother just got back from Naij like 3 days ago and he went to Abeokuta to do his to avoid the lagos congestion. He got his within a day w/out no interviews, police report or all that mess. Ofcourse he paid 30K naira but that was for the whole package including "settlement." He was able to make a good contact with an immigration officer there and he showed me his passport. The new electronic passport which I might add is quite impressive. If you try getting it here in the States they will just give you all sorts of run around.

Cool

1 Like

Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Thadude(m): 11:35am On Apr 21, 2009
Damn, do u guys know if there is a consular office in chicago or detroit? I can't imagine flyin all d way to NY or DC my boss won't give me a break to go! If I just need an endorsement on my expired passport to enable me travel back then I can get a new one in naija, I figure dat wit airfare it might cost me up to $400 buck to get d new passport in yankee against N10,000 in naija. Who knows d cost of TC? I m tryin hard nt to give naija govt my hard earned dollars thro' passport issuance. Plus I don't wanna tolerate time wasting frm undedicated staff who were hand picked and don't know what their service to Nigerians in America should be.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2009
Tha_dude:

Damn, do u guys know if there is a consular office in chicago or detroit? I can't imagine flyin all d way to NY or DC my boss won't give me a break to go! If I just need an endorsement on my expired passport to enable me travel back then I can get a new one in naija, I figure dat wit airfare it might cost me up to $400 buck to get d new passport in yankee against N10,000 in naija. Who knows d cost of TC? I m tryin hard nt to give naija govt my hard earned dollars thro' passport issuance. Plus I don't wanna tolerate time wasting frm undedicated staff who were hand picked and don't know what their service to Nigerians in America should be.

Quit whining. Take a PTO/Vacation and fly down to DC, NY or Atlanta and get it done.
If your passport is 10yrs old, you can't get any endorsement/renewal stamp or nuffin. You need a reissue.
I get free miles with US airways wey i fit dash you. Wait a minute, i don't know you, abeg go and buy ya ticket juh. grin
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by blacksta(m): 12:55pm On Apr 21, 2009
Lax75:

Guys, if only you could take a trip to Nigeria. My brother just got back from Naij like 3 days ago and he went to Abeokuta to do his to avoid the lagos congestion. He got his within a day w/out no interviews, police report or all that mess. Ofcourse he paid 30K naira but that was for the whole package including "settlement." He was able to make a good contact with an immigration officer there and he showed me his passport. The new electronic passport which I might add is quite impressive. If you try getting it here in the States they will just give you all sorts of run around.

Cool

Why hell does one have to settle to get a useless passport. 30k is on the high side. I understand they have two prices for passport issue

1. 10k  - offical rate which takes days or months ( because they have to send it to abuja)
2. 15k    - unoffical rate -  which you get by 4pm that day  ( it must be dhl taking to abuja and back)

Nothing works in that country

1 Like

Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 4:06pm On Apr 22, 2009
There is no consular office in Chicago or Detroit. Only in NY, Atlanta, and DC. Passport reissues are only being done in NY. Thay said the machine in Atlanta is not working. Can't remember the reason why it can't be done in DC. Regardless, the fact that one has to go through this is a pain.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by platinumnk(f): 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2009
hey Bossman how are u??

I was also wondering about Nigerian Passports,
Can I get one, (you know my back ground)

My dad drove to Atlanta to get my visa, but we're sick and tired of applying visa after visa, i have to apply for another because I'l be traveling in 3 weeks and I just came back in December. My visa expired in March. My dad has Both Nigerian and american passports, but can I get one as well??

And it really sucks that you have to travel to NYC to get one, But im willing, I plan to do a lot of traveling in the next years.so reapplying for a visa everytime aint cool.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Hauwa1: 8:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
Bossman, i thot to get a new passport, one has to fill out a form, attach the old passport to the form with 40 dollars as i read on their website?

http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/renewal_form.pdf
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2009
The form in your post is the renewal form. For a reissue(your passport is more than 10 years old) it's a different form. And, they are now going with a new digital passport they said, which requires a fingerprint. So, that's the reason for requiring physical presence for an interview/fingerprint.  The information on the Nigerian websites is so out of date it's not funny. Only take what's on the website with a grain of salt. I actually spoke to folks at the NY and Atlanta embassy.  ONLY NY does a reissue at the moment. And you are required to come in for an interview and fingerprint. The fee is about $140 she said. She was not even sure, and she works for the embassy.

*Hauwa*:

Bossman, i thot to get a new passport, one has to fill out a form, attach the old passport to the form with 40 dollars as i read on their website?

http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/renewal_form.pdf

Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Hauwa1: 9:33pm On Apr 22, 2009
wow! thank you Bossman! i'm discussing with my sis right now. hers will be 10 in Nov, so she has to go straight to NY?

we are planning a visit to nig soon.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 9:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
Yes. I was told NY is the only one that does the reissue of these new passports at the moment.

I am sure they are catching a lot of heat for this crap! It's my understanding that they (the embassy) have visited some major cities to hold passport services sessions (mostly reissues). I believe they visited Chicago late last year.

*Hauwa*:

wow! thank you Bossman! i'm discussing with my sis right now. hers will be 10 in Nov, so she has to go straight to NY?

we are planning a visit to nig soon.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Hauwa1: 9:53pm On Apr 22, 2009
i appreciate your response. mine is reissue hers is not.
do you have the NY mailing address? not seeing it online.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by platinumnk(f): 7:11am On Apr 23, 2009
Hey mr Bossman, you ignored my question? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I asked if I was able to get a nigerian passport myself being born here, rather than applying visa after visa.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2009
Sorry platinumnk, I am just now getting back to this topic. I never did get a notification about a response.

I believe you may be able to get a Naija passport as lonmg as both parents are Naija. I am not 100% certain though. I know, the visa thing can get expensive. Actually, it is more expensive than getting a passport.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by platinumnk(f): 7:09pm On Apr 24, 2009
thanks smiley
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by FADAKA: 10:27am On Apr 27, 2009
@Poster, The Nigeria Embassy is coming to Miami Florida, Second week of may this year.
They we be issuing new Nigeria/ecowas passport on that day.
Check Nigeria/America foundation (NAF) website for more information.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Thadude(m): 1:16am On Apr 28, 2009
Cant i fly wit my expired passport back to Naija?, it got expired in march planing to fly back in september. I dont think U.S immigration would have a problem wit that besides i dont have to show my naija passport to them either on entry or departure. I also dont think i should not have a problem in Naija since i m returning and MRP is not renewable, IATA rules say one can fly wit a photocopy if the hard copy is missing, ??, i m not ready to galivant all over the USA for a Naija passport that is weightless.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 1:47am On Apr 28, 2009
No! If you are going to Naija, you either need to have a Naija visa on your foreign passport (if you have one) or you need to have a valid Naija passport. The airlines here check on departure. Assuming you somehow get out of the country without valid passport or visa for Naija, I am not sure you can get into Naija without a valid Naija passport or visa on your foreign passport.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by jerrytope: 8:24am On Apr 28, 2009
Hello BOSSMAN*****
I havent Leave Nigeria and my passport is expiring Next year March and automatically the old non Machine Readable passports will be faced out by the end of the year, can i apply for a new passport then bring it along to the U.S as i will be on a student status.When my visa was issued i wasnt asked to get a new passport and the V.O knows im taking a 4 years B.A program (but two year issued first) , I dont know if holding two valid Nigerian passports whille travelling to the U.S wil be an immigration offense , Please advise me whether i shoud get a new passport and bring it along or just come and join the 20,000 months of re-issue passport cue, it will be nice if FL now has a naija embassy that issues the machine readable Pasport cos i be in ATL,
But BossMan Just advise me.

SaFe
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by bonhommie: 12:31pm On Sep 06, 2009
A little update for anyone wanting to do this -

Once you make your payment, you will be given an option to print two items - Acknowledgement Slip AND Receipt.
YOUR INTERVIEW DATE IS ON THE RECEIPT!!!

I found this out the hard way. I printed Ack slip only to find out too late that I should have printed receipt too.  it doesn't tell you anywhere that the interview date is on it and I never got an email with the date either.

I only got this automated receipt from google checkout.

And the interview date was set at 1 week ahead from payment date.

anyway,  hope that helps someone.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by Bossman(m): 12:41pm On Sep 06, 2009
So they gave you an interview date one week from when you did your transaction online. And you have to fly to New York within one week, book flight, find a hotel, etc. That just makes absolutely no sense! There has to be a more effecient way. Anyway hope you made it to your interview.

bonhommie:

A little update for anyone wanting to do this -

Once you make your payment, you will be given an option to print two items - Acknowledgement Slip AND Receipt.
YOUR INTERVIEW DATE IS ON THE RECEIPT!!!

I found this out the hard way. I printed Ack slip only to find out too late that I should have printed receipt too. it doesn't tell you anywhere that the interview date is on it and I never got an email with the date either.

I only got this automated receipt from google checkout.

And the interview date was set at 1 week ahead from payment date.

anyway, hope that helps someone.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by mycutiepie(f): 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2009
Is this true, a friend of mine told me that you can travel to Nigeria with your expired Nigerian passport. Cos mine is expired, didnt know that until I checked this month, I have renewed it once and cant go to NY cos I am a mom of 3, going to school and in btw. I should be visiting 9ja this month but I dont know if what my friend told me is true. I will apply for the e-passport during my trip. Thanks. Your urgent response will be appreciated.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by stepitup(f): 7:08pm On May 26, 2011
If you are in the US, and you are planning to get your Nigerian passport at The Atlanta consulate on a budget, You can find step by step information on http://billionairesdaughter..com/2010/10/how-to-really-get-nigerian-passport-at.html
it is really helpful.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by mikkyangel(m): 11:16am On May 27, 2011
U guys just dey worry urself with renewing ur passprots dt witll take months, i tried to renew my passport while in Europe,but i realized dt the Nigerian emassy in Berlin is just as useless as the embassy of Nigeria in Spain.they choose when or when not to pick ur calls,so i decided to try my luck in America,it was thisame shit,all i did was to fly down to n9ja,and it took me just 3days+ 18k to get my new passport , SO THE BEST BETh IS U FLYING DOWN TO N9JA"
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by SuyaEater(m): 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2011
I will just get a nigerian visa then fly to nigeria and get a nigerian passport.
Re: Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us by oelaiho: 9:38pm On Nov 17, 2011
Hi there

Just wandering if anyone has done a passport re-issue within the last few months - do they still need folks to travel to NY to get this done? I have not been able to speak to anyone there.

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna Boat Accident: Five Students Feared Dead / Nigeria Air: Only N3b, not N85b was released - Interview with Hadi Sirika / Ogun, Lagos To Toll Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.