Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? (746 Views)

Nurse Remanded In Prison For Administering Overdose On Senator Isiaka Adeleke / Man Who Took Tramadol Overdose Faints, Friends Pour Him Water (Photos) / Nigerian Guy Who Almost Died Of Drug Overdose Shares His Moving Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? by Frankestein08(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2015
Before I start to get answers for my curiosity, lemme tell you all what brought about this.

So my dad decided to sleep in the parlor last night and I was unaware cos we always switch off the lights so the parlor is dimly light from reflection of lights from the corridor n outside.

Normally, I take a lot of water especially those times wen u wake up n belch n ur breath smell like rotten egg but I think I overdid it this time. Presently, I've catarrh n cough n I get a dry throat...lemme not write out d whole process of how coughing gives u a dry throat before someborri who's unhappy is looking for hu to yab.

Anyway, at intervals through the night,
I've been coming out to take water from d filter in d parlor n I think my dad was spyingly counting.

Then, morning came and it was time for our morning prayers. Before we started singing,
I drank water just to loosen my dry throat.
After prayers, I went for another sip...Dad was watching.
I went inside to pick up my toothbrush to brush but before brushing I went for another sip again!

That was when my dad called me aside and gave me a lecture on how an overdose of anything isn't good even water, *just use your African parents imagination* yea, that kinda scenario.

What really got my curiosity is the part about water overdose. According to my knowledge, water is good for the human body n system. Keeps one hydrated, aids digestion, a glass in d morning keeps ur system clean.

So, my question is, can there really be an overdose of drinking water? And if there's, what could be the side effects? I mean, you couldn't possibly drown or your blood getting diluted.

What do you think?
Re: Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? by horleryeday92(m): 8:53am On Sep 24, 2015
I don't think so.
Re: Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:55am On Sep 24, 2015
Yes too much of everything is bad.

The effect is this, the kidney is supposed to filter dirt from the blood, too much of water for it to process leaves it little time to perform this primary function, hence some health issues may arise...

cc Frankestein08
Re: Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? by icekream(m): 9:03am On Sep 24, 2015
Mayb ur dad thinks u've been hit with magun(thunderbolt)... U knw how superstituous african parents can be. So before u exceed the 'maximun water level', he has to caution you. The only effect of too much water i know of is bedwetting

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? by Frankestein08(m): 7:34pm On Sep 24, 2015
icekream:
Mayb ur dad thinks u've been hit with magun(thunderbolt)... U knw how superstituous african parents can be. So before u exceed the 'maximun water level', he has to caution you. The only effect of too much water i know of is bedwetting

magun ke, abeg o.
Re: Is There Anything Like An Overdose Of Drinking Water? What Are The Consequences? by Frankestein08(m): 7:35pm On Sep 24, 2015
AdeniyiA:
Yes too much of everything is bad.

The effect is this, the kidney is supposed to filter dirt from the blood, too much of water for it to process leaves it little time to perform this primary function, hence some health issues may arise...

cc Frankestein08

ok, noted. thanks

(1) (Reply)

Factory Workers In Chinese Company Narrate Ordeal / This Baby Without Most Of His Brains And Skull Has Defied All Odds / Know The Symptoms Of Colon Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.