Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,433 members, 7,954,723 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:57 AM

Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai (1828 Views)

EFCC Begins Probe Of Ooni Ogunwusi / EFCC Begins Probe Of Ex-governor Akpabio Over Alleged N108.1bn Fraud / Breaking News: Enugu Assembly Begins Impeachment Process Against Dep Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by sbo(m): 9:21am On Apr 16, 2009
EFCC begins extradition process against el-Rufai
By Olufemi Adeosun, Abuja
Published: Thursday, 16 Apr 2009
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, on Wednesday said it will begin extradition processes against former Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to answer the charges against him.

The chairman of the EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri, who said this during a press briefing in Abuja, said the anti-graft agency had filed relevant papers in court seeking his extradition.

She said, “The process of extradition could be cumbersome we are determined to explore it so that he can answer to the charges against him.”

When asked when the extradition would take place, Waziri said that as soon as relevant documents were obtained from the court.

Petitions had been written against el-Rufai since he left office, one of which was how he allegedly mismanaged N32bn accruing from the sale of Federal Government property in Abuja.

When every attempt to make el-Rufai submit himself to interrogation proved abortive, the EFCC had earlier in the year declared him wanted, and reportedly employed the service of Interpol to help in tracking him down.

He was also said to be arraigned in absential last week in Abuja on Thursday.

On the alleged fraud, the commission sometime raided System Property Development Consortium, a company believed to have been used by the former minister, as a front to divert government lands.

Recovered from the company during the raid were documents belonging to the Federal Capital Development Area. The documents included land allocation forms, list of revoked lands among others.

During his tenure, he was also alleged to have allocated land to 45 fictitious people, including, his family members.

But el-Rufai has consistently debunked the accusations.

Meanwhile, the EFCC boss said that the commission had recovered about N50bn looted fund in the last nine months. She explained that it also secured about 50 convictions within the period under review.

Reacting to statements attributed to the former Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, criticising the Federal Government’s posture on the Halliburton case, the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Mike Aondoakaa (SAN), said the former minister would soon face corruption charges.

He said the charges against el-Rufai were already established by the Senate Committee on the FCT.

Aondoakaa said, “Nasir is likely to be charged to court on allegation of abuse of office and corruption charges established by a committee of the Senate.

“But before we could do that he went to court to challenge that I cannot charge him to court; I am following due process.”
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by MrCrackles(m): 9:23am On Apr 16, 2009
Chai so EFCC no wan leave this guy?
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by olabukola: 9:26am On Apr 16, 2009
why dem go leave am?
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by sbo(m): 9:29am On Apr 16, 2009
This is just another distraction of the 'anti-corruption' crusade. While I'm not against el-Rufai facing corruption charges, why waste taxpayers money on fighting an extradition case when there are still dozens of local cases/investigation hanging over the EFCC's head?

An anti-corruption organisation that cannot even successfully prosecute 'home-based' corrupt former governors or ministers is now talking about extradition. This is just a ploy to distract people away from ongoing cases such as Halliburton etc that the EFCC is not interested in pursuing.

Madam Waziri, please see the ongoing prosecution of the former governors to a logical conclusion before embarking on this GOOSE CHASE!

www...com
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 16, 2009
This self-servicer called Aondoakaa and his MILF called Waziri will never stop playing hanky panky with themselves.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by MrCrackles(m): 9:34am On Apr 16, 2009
sbo:

This is just another distraction of the 'anti-corruption' crusade. While I'm not against el-Rufai facing corruption charges, why waste taxpayers money on fighting an extradition case when there are still dozens of local cases/investigation hanging over the EFCC's head?

This is the point i was trying to home in on!

EFCC is a sham

Selective and biased prosecution and judgemental practises is the bedrock of today's EFCC!

If we cant arrest the bastards on Nigerian soil, how are we going to get the muthafuckers abroad?

El-Rufai should face charges, as well as other corrupt and thieving morons gallivanting all over the place!!

No plea bargain or back hand settlement, full and fair punishment for anyone found guilty!
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 16, 2009
U guys dont get it!!

The narative here is everyone could be guilty of EFCC accusation!! so it does not matter if Ibori has been accused in the past.

They are just muddying the water to confuse Nigerians, they have no evidence whatsoever on El-Rufai.

Aondoakaa is just destroying Government Institutions.

I personally think this drama called fight against corruption should stop. U can't fight corruption without strong institutions, u can't fight corruption when the country's media tilts its news to the highest bidder.

Let the fight against corruption stop. It has failed and let us concentrate on what we can build in terms of development.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by joshO: 9:46am On Apr 16, 2009
Guys cool down. No be una dey criticise obasanjo and Ribadu as being selective back then?

Na this efcc fit nigeria. Conniving. Distractive and innefective. Their full time job now is to pursue those officers that dared the powerfull beasts in our society.

The era has come were we need trained assassins and marksmen to start taking out past and present leaders. One high powered rifle, one bullet to the head, starting with that Dim wit of a SAN thats the AG.

This is the only action that'll make us all sit-up and turn this rudderless tanker that is Nigeria!
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by MrCrackles(m): 9:46am On Apr 16, 2009
mikeansy:

They are just muddying the water to confuse Nigerians, they have no evidence whatsoever on El-Rufai.

That is it!

At the moment, no concrete evidence has been presented

But the EFCC has allowed it's own decision making vehicle to be parked inside a garage built by a gang of corrupt and bitter morons!

Till they present a concrete evidence against El-Rufai, i will continue to sit on the fence, regarding the matter
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by sbo(m): 9:47am On Apr 16, 2009
mikeansy:

Let the fight against corruption stop. It has failed and let us concentrate on what we can build in terms of development.

I personally think the fight against corruption is now an insult on the intelligence of Nigerians. It is getting more irritating by the day.

www...com
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by sbo(m): 9:49am On Apr 16, 2009
We need to ask ourselves why was the Senate quick to indict el-Rufai but the wouldn't release the Power Probe Report.

www...com
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by texazzpete(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2009
You people amaze me!
If the guy stole money, why defend him? Why should EFCC splash all its evidence and make a compelling case just for you to be satisfied?
The more dangerous thieves are the self-righteous thieves - the people who have set themselves up as heroes.
Let El-Rufai present himself in court if he feels the state have no case against him. Why did he run away if he's innocent?

sbo:

So as far as you're concerned, El-Rufai should be let to go scot free as long as he isn't in Nigeria, abi?
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 16, 2009
If EFCC has any credible evidence against him they will charge him to court in absentia

They once accused him of 32billion even when the money was sitting in various FCT accounts

Is it the kind of fight against corruption we want?

There is nothing like self-righteous heroes, it amazes me when your likes endorse a programme aimed at destroying achievers.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2009
texazzpete:

You people amaze me!
If the guy stole money, why defend him? Why should EFCC splash all its evidence and make a compelling case just for you to be satisfied?
The more dangerous thieves are the self-righteous thieves - the people who have set themselves up as heroes.
Let El-Rufai present himself in court if he feels the state have no case against him. Why did he run away if he's innocent?

So as far as you're concerned, El-Rufai should be let to go scot free as long as he isn't in Nigeria, abi?

You and your likes are the ones who amazes nigerians.

Reasonable people have made it clear that they would love to see El-rufai face justice if there are evidence that he wrongfully enriched himself while in office. As for now, it would have saved nigeria a lot of money and time if the so-called EFCC brings the already indicted home based criminals to justice first.

Nigerians have refused to be fooled all the time. Enough is enough.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 16, 2009
this is how this same EFCC went to housing equivalent of yellow pages, looked for all properties associated with the saw name Ribadu and claimed they all belong to Mallam Nuhu Ribadu

What a bunch of lazy fools at the EFCC under Waziri

El-Rufai has given them the go ahead to sieze any property in Nigeria belonging to him which he did not declare in his assets, he has asked them to charge him to court if they have any evidence against, what are they waiting for?
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by sbo(m): 10:07am On Apr 16, 2009
sbo:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying el-Rufai should go scot-free. In fact, I believe he should travel back to Nigeria to defend the allegations levelled against him. And if he is guilt, should be dealt with.

My concern however is that, we have an organisation who has not being able to prosecute home-based corrupt officials and it is now talking about extradition. Do you think extradition is that easy? It takes time and resources? Why the distraction? Let them see the ongoing cases to a logical consludion before embarking on international goose chase.

Also does the Govt think the UK govt will cooperate in any extradition case, when the same Attorney General frustrated the trial of former Governor in the UK.

It's all joke!
www...com
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 16, 2009
get real folks, the state department will immediately throw their extradiction request to the trash can

Nobody takes Farida, Aondoakaa or Yar'adua seriously arround the world

I thought they were seeking the help of interpol to arrest El-Rufai

Helloooooooooo, the man is not iin hiding why has interpol not arrested him
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by oybv101: 11:02am On Apr 16, 2009
abegi,

waYOziri is just doing her masters' ibori/saraki's bidding. as far as i'm concerned, all of this is really about sending out a message - if you step on the toes of sacred cows. . .

bloody bitch and that prick aandoka or whatever his name is(pls, what tribe is the guy? grin. fuel for tomorrows tribal war) . abegi, they should give us the lowdown on the halliburton scandal and stop chasing elrufai. bunch of doubletalking syncophants angry
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by jamace(m): 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2009
El-Rufai's case is taken this serious because some power brokers want to get pound of flesh from El-Rufai because of his actions during the restoration of the FCT masterplan. Period. The pursuit is not based on any national interest but on selfish reasons.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Mowire: 12:56pm On Apr 16, 2009
A bit of OBJECTIVITY please!

If El-Rufai is innocent of corruption charges let him return to Nigeria to answer to the ones being "peddled". The Nigerian judiciary is better than it used to be.

However a little rewind will tell us that El-Rufai started off as Atiku's boy.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by texazzpete(m): 1:01pm On Apr 16, 2009
jamace:

El-Rufai's case is taken this serious because some power brokers want to get pound of flesh from El-Rufai because of his actions during the restoration of the FCT masterplan. Period. The pursuit is not based on any national interest but on selfish reasons.

So N32bn missapropriated funds is not 'national interest' abi?

nuzo:

Reasonable people have made it clear that they would love to see El-rufai face justice if there are evidence that he wrongfully enriched himself while in office. As for now, it would have saved nigeria a lot of money and time if the so-called EFCC brings the already indicted home based criminals to justice first.

Nigerians have refused to be fooled all the time. Enough is enough.

EFCC is supposed to multi-task! Why constrain them to locally based criminals?
The EFCC does not have to publish their evidence in papers before the court case. If El-Rufai is innocent, let him come to Nigeria to face charges!
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by agabaI23(m): 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2009
Why will theyseek to extradit El while Ibori is there? They should finish prosecuting Ibori, orji uzo Kalu, Igbinedion, Odili and so on before they go for a student.

Let that guy be abeg.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by proudly9ja(m): 1:09pm On Apr 16, 2009
Mowire, you seriously think Nasiru should return to Nigeria

I am of the opinion that if Nasiru or anybody for that matter is guilty of any offence, then he should be sent to jail and Im sure most NLers are of this opinion too. But we know Waziri is playing according to Ibori's tunes. If Nasiru makes the mistake of returning to Nigeria, I pity him. Was that not how we told Ribadu to return to Nigeria when he went into hiding which he promptly did and for months he was in Nigeria, they did not charge him to court, not once, rather attempts were made on his life.

However, the guy has said he will return to Nigeria after his MSc programme so let's see how that goes. Like someone said, this is the EFCC Nigerians who screamed selective prosecution at Ribadu and OBJ back then. I wonder what they will call this one.
texazzpete:

So N32bn missapropriated funds is not 'national interest' abi?

EFCC is supposed to multi-task! Why constrain them to locally based criminals?
The EFCC does not have to publish their evidence in papers before the court case. If El-Rufai is innocent, let him come to Nigeria to face charges!

Did you not read that they have found the money in FCT accounts after the guy who took over from Nasiru left the position? Maybe you don't know, but this issue is not even on the final paper submitted by the probe panel.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by proudly9ja(m): 1:12pm On Apr 16, 2009
Joblessness in high places, thats how I see it.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by texazzpete(m): 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2009
proudly9ja:

. But we know Waziri is playing according to Ibori's tunes. If Nasiru makes the mistake of returning to Nigeria, I pity him. Was that not how we told Ribadu to return to Nigeria when he went into hiding which he promptly did and for months he was in Nigeria, they did not charge him to court, not once, rather attempts were made on his life.

We only have Ribadu's (tainted) word to rely on that an attempt was made on his life. How can someone claim that his car was riddled with bullets, yet held a press conference without showing pictures of the bullet riddled vehicle. He also failed to report the matter to the police.
sorry to say this, but Ribadu's 'assassination attempt' smells strongly of bullshit.

For a high profile case like El-Rufai's, there's no way he can be found guilty if there's no compelling evidence. No chance in hell, especially as he'd be able to afford the best lawyers in the country.
The guy's refusal to come back to Nigeria is extremely suspicious!
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:55pm On Apr 16, 2009
EFCC is just taking nigerians on a wild goose chase. they should start by prosecuting and jailing one at least one corrupt govt. official . they should be ashamed of themselves not even one has been jailed. its no more nuhu ribadu again. before it was former governors now its El rufai. angry
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by Mowire: 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2009
And the worst that happened to Ribadu was that he lost his job with NPF. Nobody jailed/detained him and he was able to leave the country again.

Anyone who understands how thing had been run in Nigeria knows that El-Rufai cannot subject himself to anti-corruption probe and come out totally free if the authority is determined to nail him. I think Ribadu knows this also and that's why he's afraid to come to Nigeria.

RICHIE BOI:

EFCC is just taking nigerians on a wild goose chase. they should start by prosecuting and jailing one at least one corrupt govt. official . they should be ashamed of themselves not even one has been jailed. its no more nuhu ribadu again. before it was former governors now its El rufai. angry

What was El-Rufai?
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by RICHIEBOI1(m): 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2009
Mowire:

And the worst that happened to Ribadu was that he lost his job with NPF. Nobody jailed/detained him and he was able to leave the country again.

Anyone who understands how thing had been run in Nigeria knows that El-Rufai cannot subject himself to anti-corruption probe and come out totally free if the authority is determined to nail him. I think Ribadu knows this also and that's why he's afraid to come to Nigeria.

What was El-Rufai?

a minister!
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by chidichris(m): 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2009
the story continues, if el rufai is clean, he shld simply take the next available flight and come down here to help nigerians find out the truths.
ribadu was great in his execution of his duties yet there is no bases to compare him with waziri who have used the judiciary system very well in going about the fight against corruption.
in all her wrong doings, has anyone accused her of going after yar adua's enemies?
in all ribadu's fight against govs, how did nigerians benefit from the fights?
federal criminals like fani kayode, borrishade, andy uba, bode george etc all existed alongside ribadu yet he called them clean or is anyone saying they are clean as he claimed?
el rufai has to come back and tell us in which bank account the money is and then go back. nobody is been kidnapped like ribadu was doing. everything under this regime is legal.
again, i hte to hear ppl condem yar adua without mentioning the name of that one that imposed him on us.
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by PapaBrowne(m): 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2009
I did a quick count on the pro El-Rufai posts [b]VS [/b]the pro EFCC posts.The result is 25 for El-Rufai and 4 for EFCC.
Nigerians are not fools anymore. Everybody knows the joke that is the EFCC under Waziri.

But then again, Ibori is such a Power Horse! The same institution that put him in jail just a year ago now belongs to him!
I wonder how he worked that out!
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by proudly9ja(m): 9:27pm On Apr 16, 2009
PapaBrowne:

I did a quick count on the pro El-Rufai posts [b]VS [/b]the pro EFCC posts.The result is 25 for El-Rufai and 4 for EFCC.
Nigerians are not fools anymore. Everybody knows the joke that is the EFCC under Waziri.

But then again, Ibori is such a Power Horse! The same institution that put him in jail just a year ago now belongs to him!
I wonder how he worked that out!

Thats not all. As at 1993(4), the guy was a cashier at Wickes (UK) and was infact arrested and charged with theft. As a cashier, he allowed his then girlfriend who later became his wife, to steal goods across the counter without paying for them. That's the guy who became governor in Nigeria in 1999 just some years later (remember we have a law in Nigeria that prohibits anyone who has been indicted from running for public office) and is prolly now Mr President's right hand man!

Are you still surprised why Yaradua doesn't seem to know what he is doing?
Re: Efcc Begins Extradition Process Against El-rufai by bawomolo(m): 10:01pm On Apr 16, 2009

i don't think you can have development if you don't fight corruption. You just can't turn a blind eye to corruption

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Can Nigerian Youths To Make Nigeria A Better Place? / The Cabal Has Finally Won The Battle. / The Nigerian Nation Against Gen. Buhari By Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.