Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK (2801 Views)

Ruona Meyer Who Sold Kerosene Years Ago In Lagos Lands Job With BBC (Photos) / Petroleum vs. Geosciences / Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by brainzemy: 1:27pm On Sep 24, 2015
Hello there,

So I have an undergraduate degree (Nigeria) and a masters degree (UK), both in Petroleum Engineering and have worked as a Lecturer in a federal university before securing a job in an indigenous oil and gas coy as a Reservoir Engineer in Lagos.

Unfortunately, mid this year, management decided they couldn't afford to pay us anymore and asked some of us to resign.

Like a dream, I became a job Hunter on the streets of Lagos. I have been to all companies imaginable and have attended a couple of interviews. I have further kept on developing my skill set so as to be better prepared when an opportunity avails itself.

But then again, it has not been easy. Especially living on the island without a string of income. I need to be gainfully employed and I'm willing to learn and work in any organization as the case may be or volunteer infact.

Nairalanders, I need your candid opinion on this matter and a steer to the right direction. All opinions are welcomed.

Gracias.

P.s: I have got fantastic credentials. Graduated as the Best Student in my set too.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by alonzoiv(m): 1:31pm On Sep 24, 2015
God will guide and direct you aright

1 Like

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Cutehector(m): 1:44pm On Sep 24, 2015
I just don't believe this! Ur writeup just makes someone out thr wit career prospects lose hope.. How can u have all these experience and still be looking for a job? I"l just say some witches are following u from ur village.. Like seriously.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Superman11(m): 1:55pm On Sep 24, 2015
Cutehector:
I just don't believe this! Ur writeup just makes someone out thr wit career prospects lose hope.. How can u have all these experience and still be looking for a job? I"l just say some witches are following u from ur village.. Like seriously.

most people don't have even the smallest job because they can not solve anybody's problem. Certificates are only paper not potential.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by thesource(m): 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2015
I'm very sorry so say this, considering the fact that you've spent sometime with the company and you've been able to gather some experience, can't you just set up your own engineering firmin a small way with the little financial resources at your disposal. Start small and stop looking for a job, you're the best graduating student of your set for crying out loud, start somewhere. Goodluck
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Mattex001(m): 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2015
thesource:
I'm very sorry so say this, considering the fact that you've spent sometime with the company and you've been able to gather some experience, can't you just set up your own engineering firmin a small way with the little financial resources at your disposal. Start small and stop looking for a job, you're the best graduating student of your set for crying out loud, start somewhere. Goodluck

Seconded
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Mattex001(m): 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2015
thesource:

Seconded

Although we know how Capital intensive it might be but I think you should start somewhere.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by brainzemy: 7:40am On Sep 25, 2015
Lets don't get it twisted guys....I only have about 3 years cumulative experience and you'd agree that I'd need more experience and exposure to initiate a start up biz.

Thanks so much for your opinions though. I'd give it a hard thought all the same.

Cheers
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by AkumahTalk(m): 9:30am On Sep 25, 2015
I was once in your shoes. I have a UK MSc. (Distinction) and I was the best graduating student in my class; but I had no job with very little experience.
I advice you take a more proactive approach to find a job.

STEP 1: Prepare a Potent Resume/CV.

STEP 2: Make a list of all the companies you’d like to work for.

STEP 3: Find the person of influence within.

STEP 4: Write a letter to the person of influence : Everyone looking for a job will respond to an advert, the idea here is to create an opportunity before the advert is even sent out.

STEP 5: Prepare and Follow-up on possible leads.

I originally posted this on my blog for job seeking IT professionals but it applies to every job seeker. I expanded on how to follow each step and do it correctly to achieve the best results. I got my current job using this method. I did not have any contact in the company and I was also not aware that there was a vacancy at that time. Just try it, you have nothing to loose.

www.techbusiness101.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Pidggin(f): 9:30am On Sep 25, 2015
brainzemy:
Hello there,

So I have an undergraduate degree (Nigeria) and a masters degree (UK), both in Petroleum Engineering and have worked as a Lecturer in a federal university before securing a job in an indigenous oil and gas coy as a Reservoir Engineer in Lagos.

Unfortunately, mid this year, management decided they couldn't afford to pay us anymore and asked some of us to resign.

Like a dream, I became a job Hunter on the streets of Lagos. I have been to all companies imaginable and have attended a couple of interviews. I have further kept on developing my skill set so as to be better prepared when an opportunity avails itself.

But then again, it has not been easy. Especially living on the island without a string of income. I need to be gainfully employed and I'm willing to learn and work in any organization as the case may be or volunteer infact.

Nairalanders, I need your candid opinion on this matter and a steer to the right direction. All opinions are welcomed.

Gracias.

P.s: I have got fantastic credentials. Graduated as the Best Student in my set too.

Keep applying for jobs, don't give up. You may want to start looking at private universities and sending your applications to them.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 25, 2015
brainzemy:
Hello there,

Gracias.

I sympathize with you. These are difficult times in the industry. When management asked someone of you to resign, did you ask if you could work for free? You have already mentioned that you're open to volunteering, why not speak with management and let them know that you're willing to work without being paid that what matters to you is the valuable work experience that you'd get. Oil prices have fallen more than 100% and most companies are not recruiting currently. albeit, some may still be recruiting. There isn't any sign that the oil price will rise soon. While you're searching for a job, develop your self - your technical skills especially. While at it, attend SPE conferences and improve your pool of network. All the best.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by yinkeys(m): 5:24am On Sep 28, 2015
thesource:
Easy to say, Talk is cheap

2 Likes

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 29, 2015
brainzemy:
Hello there,

Gracias.

Hello bro, did you say you walked out on lecturing in a federal school for a private org ?

Well, Mabe you not cut out a lecturer but if you are why not pursue a Ph.D ?

Am sure you would get smtin in the academics.

I work in a bank with an M.sc in Engineering and I am seriously looking out for lecturing opportunity.

Its rewarding and also stable.

1 Like

Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by brainzemy: 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2015
Well, i'm considering a PhD now tho.... dont worry Guitarlife, your opportunities would definately come.
Guitarlife:

Hello bro, did you say you walked out on lecturing in a federal school for a private org ?
I work in a bank with an M.sc in Engineering and I am seriously looking out for lecturing opportunity.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by brainzemy: 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
Thank you all for your candid response....it helped alot...Gracias
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by jeebz: 9:18pm On Oct 09, 2015
Guitarlife:

Sent you a PM
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 09, 2015
jeebz:

Sent you a PM
Hello bro. Good evening.

My PM does not work, but you can reach me on whatsap.

If you dont mind please lemme know so I can drop my whatsap line here temporarily.

Look forward to hear from you.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by jeebz: 11:15pm On Oct 10, 2015
Guitarlife:
Hello bro. Good evening.

If you dont mind please lemme know so I can drop my whatsap line here temporarily.

It's regarding your post your PhD in Electrical Engineering Power Option search.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by jeebz: 11:16pm On Oct 10, 2015
Guitarlife:
Hello bro. Good evening.

It's regarding your search for PhD in Electrical Engineering Power Option search.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 10, 2015
jeebz:

It's regarding your search for PhD in Electrical Engineering Power Option search.
Hello bro pls send me a whatsap message at:

zero - seven - zero - three - two - zero - three - five - three - one - seven.
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by yinkeys(m): 7:55am On Oct 14, 2015
Bro @brainzemy have you tried polishing your CV ,uploading it on linkedIn then upgrading your account to premium. People on nairaland that were looking for job usually drop testimonies of how they were able to secure foreign jobs by simply upgrading their linkedIn account. I don't think it's more than $10 to upgrade. Try out my advice, I think you'd get too since you've got work experience
Re: I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK by GoldMineLiberty: 11:50am On Nov 05, 2015
GOLDMINE LIBERTY CONCEPT
INVITES YOU TO
HER MULTI-PURPOSE COOPERATIVE
&
CHRISTMAS PROMO
GRAND LAUNCH
Be an integral part of our success, attend our grand launch and learn life’s lessons for success. This launch will help you generate revenues with an insured Cooperative dividends, be accessible to our different platforms that will grand you access to loans with very little or no interest, be enriched with platforms that will help you build a strong Financial Future, Invest in Lucrative Businesses that generates stable surplus, Improve your standard of Living and Imbibe a saving culture.
You also stand a chance of winning lots of Instant and amazing prizes on GLC Christmas sizzling Promo. With our win win Promo! You will always win!
Venue: Plot 377a, Omofade Crescent,
Omole Estate Phase 1, Ojodu Berger, Ikeja
Date: November 7th, 2015 (Saturday)
Time: 1stSession- 10am-12pm| 2ndSession-12-2pm|3rdSession 2-4pm (No African Time)
ADMISSSION IS FREE
For More Information Please Contact Our Customer Care Representatives on 08128515510| 08133983563

(1) (Reply)

Salary Of A Sailor In The Nigerian Navy / Book Review: 'Who Moved My Cheese?' / Nigeria Police Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.