Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,520 members, 7,770,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:19 AM

Comics Nairaland Universe - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Comics Nairaland Universe (15285 Views)

Fan Art Thread (comics|manga|games|movies) / Some Comics With Nigerian Context / I Can Write For You..(animators,comics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 8:43pm On Sep 24, 2015
Hi,fellow comicheads and readers...this thread is dedicated to comics of all kinds from Nigeria to the international scene yeah Marvel and DC Comics always on a collision course*winks winks*. It promises to be interesting believe me!!!
On the local scene,more comic companies are springing up with eye catching titles such as the following:
*Guardian Prime,Hero Generation,Eru,Ireti,Avonome,Vanguars Rising (Comic Republic - www.thecomicrepublic.com)
*E.X.O - Legend of Wale Williams;hottest selling Nigerian comic in history sold out on Amazon on its first day and week also available on Jumia (YouNeek Studios - www.youneekstudios.com)
*Sheba's Song,War on Heaven (ShadowBlack Entertainment-www.shadowblack.com.ng)
*Black Raven (Stallion Comics - www.facebook.com/StallionComics)
*StrikeGuard,June XII,Mumu Juju (The Vortex - http://www.vortex247.com/characters)

For latest info on comics and animation in Nigeria and the Diaspora
Comic Panel - www.comicpanel.org
SporeDust - www.sporedust.tv

Annual Comic Convention - Lagos ComicCon www.lagoscomiccon.com

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Dizney(m): 12:18am On Sep 28, 2015
oh...nice, i am a comicbook artist too. hi everyone.
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 11:41am On Sep 28, 2015
Hi to you also,Dizney. What comic books have you worked on?!!You could also post your samples here

Dizney:
oh...nice, i am a comicbook artist too. hi everyone.
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Dizney(m): 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2015
DerrickM:
Hi to you also,Dizney. What comic books have you worked on?!!You could also post your samples here

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Dizney(m): 8:36pm On Sep 28, 2015
been working on HeroesNigeria, almost through with it, school's kept me busy. Good evening

1 Like

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by moneyallowed(m): 9:08am On Sep 29, 2015
Much respect OP, timely thread. Saw an ad for spiring comic writers/artists by MM. It's not easy to suceed in our enviroment and i'd advise anyone with talent to try out openings at the big foreign comic companies. Mark Millar is doing his, an advance notice as submissions will be open next week. Selected entries will be paid 90$ per page for writers and 200$ per page for artists. Not bad at all and the recognition would let the winners get a foot in the proverbial door. These guys don't care where you're from or who you are. They just want talent. All you need is a working internet link. Will be posting any more competitions or openings Marvel, DC, Vertigo or Image if i see them. Best of luck
http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/millarworld-annual-writer-submission-guidelines/1485

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 7:10pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hey,thanks,bro and hey we have a challenging envronment no doubt with the lack of power supply especially and training academies dedicated to Digital Comic Illustration in Nigeria. Nevertheless,people are making things happen & getting sponsorships from banks and other corporate organisations like Indomie(biggest sponsor of Lagos ComicCon)I attended this year's own and got their freebies.
Thanks for the link and feel free to join the conversion on facebook via the following groups online:
*Association of Comic Makers of Nigeria (ACMON)
*Nigerian Comic Artists Group (NCAG)

Best Regards

moneyallowed:
Much respect OP, timely thread. Saw an ad for spiring comic writers/artists by MM. It's not easy to suceed in our enviroment and i'd advise anyone with talent to try out openings at the big foreign comic companies. Mark Millar is doing his, an advance notice as submissions will be open next week. Selected entries will be paid 90$ per page for writers and 200$ per page for artists. Not bad at all and the recognition would let the winners get a foot in the proverbial door. These guys don't care where you're from or who you are. They just want talent. All you need is a working internet link. Will be posting any more competitions or openings Marvel, DC, Vertigo or Image if i see them. Best of luck
http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/millarworld-annual-writer-submission-guidelines/1485
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 4:45pm On Oct 15, 2015
#InkTober just got a new twist...$100 for grabs!!!

http://dm3drev-studeos..com.ng/2015/10/exo-inktober-competition.html

For the love of a Truly African SuperHero...enjoy the good read...the results are out!!!

http://dm3drev-studeos..com.ng/2015/11/exo-inktober-competition-winner.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2015

2 Shares

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Luluvich(m): 3:18pm On Dec 31, 2015
Hi y'all. I'm a writer who started a comic book last year. We've been trying to Garner awareness for our comic. The name is E..L.I.T.E.S. . We are available on jumia.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 3:42pm On Dec 31, 2015
Then get in touch with ComicPanel,organisers of the annual Lagos ComicCon an inbox message via facebook on their likepages respectively (www.comicpanel.org) & the Dm3Drev Studeos Blog (www.dm3drev-studeos..com) a Creatively Divergent Blog.
Join the Association of Comic Makers of Nigeria(ACMON) & Nigerian Comic Artists Group(NCAG) on facebook for more exposure of your comic by buzzing the admins there,best regards...

An event sponsored by ComicPanel & covered by the Dm3DRev Studeos Blog

http://dm3drev-studeos..ae/2015/09/digital-training-workshop.html
Enjoy reading it up...

Luluvich:
Hi y'all. I'm a writer who started a comic book last year. We've been trying to Garner awareness for our comic. The name is E..L.I.T.E.S. . We are available on jumia.
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 9:53am On Jan 07, 2016
If you are interested in creating your own comics you definitely love this link below:

http://www.creativebloq.com/comics/guide-create-publish-comic-book-71515975
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Dizney(m): 6:40pm On Jan 22, 2016
Good Evening Guys!
Heroes Nigeria Episode 2 SIEGE is currently in the making and in better shoes than episode 1.
FULL ACTION and HD colors as promised!
#anticipate
If you missed episode 1, kindly scroll up for the link to read it.
Below is a matchup for the main characters I made, and the making of pages 1, 2 and 3.
Official Cover Page drops soon.

1 Like

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 9:24am On Jan 29, 2016
E.X.O - The Legend of Wale Williams Part 2 is coming back with a bang in June 2016!!!

http://dm3drev-studeos..com/2016/01/exo-part-2-kickstarter-launch-day.html

Read Chapter One for #FREE of Nigeria's hottest comic to sell out in 1day on Amazon

http://www.youneekstudios.com/preview/exo-preview.pdf

3 Shares

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by toyo4souls(m): 1:50am On Feb 13, 2016
@DerrickM

Please reach me 08053329624. I am interested in the UGee
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 7:06pm On Feb 17, 2016
Noted...

toyo4souls:
@DerrickM

Please reach me 08053329624. I am interested in the UGee
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Nobody: 1:45am On Feb 21, 2016
DerrickM:
Noted...

Dude please where do I begin if I have drawing skills? As humble as making comics is, I just don't see it as a long term thing. How would I market my drawings if any? What other industries can I offer my services to?
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 12:28pm On Feb 21, 2016
@KAZNA69: Bro,you have raised a good question & I'll answer it like this. Try researching the history of comics especially in America & here in Nigeria find local solution. Be more of an Illustrator into graphics as well other than comics so that aside that you make a living. Anyone can be a graphic design artist but not all can illustrate the ideas. You have social media where you can advertise/monetize your art,Behance (www.behance.net), Deviant Art(www.deviantart.com), Freelancer(www.freelancer.com) & Fiverr (www.fiverr.com) to make money from your drawings. Being creative & a smart entrepreneur will be a good bonus. As we get older we may not have the strength & zeal like before so it's advisable to build a team of artists you've shared your skills with. If you can teach other people at a fee to make extra income.
In Lagos,since 2012,there has been the annual Lagos ComicCon (www.lagoscomicon.com) where you to meet other creative people across industries founded by Ayo "Dreammaker" Elegba who is a veteran comic creator/writer. He created StrikeGuard now published by Vortex Comics (www.vortex247.com) & has served as an editor on the hot nigerian comic E.X.O : The Legend of Wale Williams (www.youneekstudios.com). A comic that sold out on Amazon. Download Chapter 1 for #FREE @this link http://www.youneekstudios.com/preview/exo-preview.pdf. He's still into comics but has diversified into 2D Animation & graphics as well. Most of all,work on your art continually & have mentors. best regards...

Kazna69:

Dude please where do I begin if I have drawing skills? As humble as making comics is, I just don't see it as a long term thing. How would I market my drawings if any? What other industries can I offer my services to?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
DerrickM:
@KAZNA69: Bro,you have raised a good question & I'll answer it like this. Try researching the history of comics especially in America & here in Nigeria find local solution. Be more of an Illustrator into graphics as well other than comics so that aside that you make a living. Anyone can be a graphic design artist but not all can illustrate the ideas. You have social media where you can advertise/monetize your art,Behance (www.behance.net), Deviant Art(www.deviantart.com), Freelancer(www.freelancer.com) & Fiverr (www.fiverr.com) to make money from your drawings. Being creative & a smart entrepreneur will be a good bonus. As we get older we may not have the strength & zeal like before so it's advisable to build a team of artists you've shared your skills with. If you can teach other people at a fee to make extra income.
In Lagos,since 2012,there has been the annual Lagos ComicCon (www.lagoscomicon.com) where you to meet other creative people across industries founded by Ayo "Dreammaker" Elegba who is a veteran comic creator/writer. He created StrikeGuard now published by Vortex Comics (www.vortex247.com) & has served as an editor on the hot nigerian comic E.X.O : The Legend of Wale Williams (www.youneekstudios.com). A comic that sold out on Amazon. Download Chapter 1 for #FREE @this link http://www.youneekstudios.com/preview/exo-preview.pdf. He's still into comics but has diversified into 2D Animation & graphics as well. Most of all,work on your art continually & have mentors. best regards...

I have no trouble illustrating cos doodling has been a thing since childhood. I'm not a top notch gfx designer yet, but from the little training in CDR + PSD addiction, I can do decent flyers & logo designs.

I haven't created a portfolio for behance yet. I'll need a new deviant art acc cos I've forgotten the email & password. My main issue is coming up with a designer/artist name that fits. That's why I'm yet to create these profiles.

I'm familiar with freelancer, dunno how the payment works cos if I can sketch it, finish it in relevant software, then I'm good. Honestly, I'll be so much more comfortable freelancing. Thanks for the links!
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 1:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
You are welcome,man. Bro,we alone are our own biggest problems. To get paid on Freelancer or Fiverr it's paypal,payza or payoneer(I highly recommend). I know people who use their Behance & Deviant Art to bring traffic to their profiles there or even their blogs. Make up your mind on the name quickly because these tips am sharing have been implemented by some Naija artists am close to. So don't dull yourself this is 2016,excuses aren't allowed*lol*hehehe*winks winks*

Kazna69:

I have no trouble illustrating cos doodling has been a thing since childhood. I'm not a top notch gfx designer yet, but from the little training in CDR + PSD addiction, I can do decent flyers & logo designs.

I haven't created a portfolio for behance yet. I'll need a new deviant art acc cos I've forgotten the email & password. My main issue is coming up with a designer/artist name that fits. That's why I'm yet to create these profiles.

I'm familiar with freelancer, dunno how the payment works cos if I can sketch it, finish it in relevant software, then I'm good. Honestly, I'll be so much more comfortable freelancing. Thanks for the links!
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
DerrickM:
Bro,we alone are our own biggest problems. To get paid on Freelancer or Fiverr it's paypal,payza or payoneer(I highly recommend). I know people who use their Behance & Deviant Art to bring traffic to their profiles there.

I've got a PayPal. I'll have to get payoneer. Learnt transaction goes to your bank account here in naija. It's the online ID for those profiles that's a problem for me. I don't want to pick one random name that I'll forget or might want to change later cos that'll suck. undecided
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 4:01pm On Feb 21, 2016
The PayPal isn't the Naija version I mean the full one you can receive money with. Write your online IDs somewhere,a secure jotter & get organised with your info etc.

Kazna69:

I've got a PayPal. I'll have to get payoneer. Learnt transaction goes to your bank account here in naija. It's the online ID for those profiles that's a problem for me. I don't want to pick one random name that I'll forget or might want to change later cos that'll suck. undecided
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
DerrickM:
The PayPal isn't the Naija version I mean the full one you can receive money with. Write your online IDs somewhere,a secure jotter & get organised with your info etc.

How do I get the full PayPal besides the one for naija? That restriction is a bummer.
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 1:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
It's by a relative helping out with one from there but I've heard people are verifying with own account in Naija but paying some IT guys 10k. I need to confirm to the authenticity of it that's it isn't a scam.

Kazna69:

How do I get the full PayPal besides the one for naija? That restriction is a bummer.
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Nobody: 2:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
DerrickM:
It's by a relative helping out with one from there but I've heard people are verifying with own account in Naija but paying some IT guys 10k. I need to confirm to the authenticity of it that's it isn't a scam.

Haaa 10k for PayPal, maka why?
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by aceprime: 6:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
Any group(eg whatsapp group) strictly for illustration/manga art/comic art?@derrickm
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 8:03pm On Feb 22, 2016
Because infotech sells,bro,like pure water*winks winks*

Kazna69:

Haaa 10k for PayPal, maka why?
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 8:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Yes,on facebook "Association of Comic Makers of Nigeria" & "Nigerian Comic Artists Group". There you will get all the latest news on the comic scene.

aceprime:
Any group(eg whatsapp group) strictly for illustration/manga art/comic art?@derrickm
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
If you love comics like I do make it a date with Comic Republic...

http://dm3drev-studeos..com/2016/02/comic-republic-teaches-art-of-comic.html

1 Share

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 6:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
The BBM Stickamania Competition 2016 had the best of Nigeria's Artists & Illustrators slug out for the mouth-watering prizes!!! It's on to the next one so #watchout. It's fun to know the 1st & 2nd prize winners are friends I know in person...yippee!!!

http://dm3drev-studeos..com/2016/02/bbm-stickamania-2016-winners-announced.html

Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 29, 2016
Aww man all these events going down & I'm Missing the money. Shame on me. sad
Re: Comics Nairaland Universe by DerrickM(m): 4:44pm On Feb 29, 2016
You have "missed the money" not missing so it's gone for good. The Art of Comic Making event started a competition solely for people who attended to create a comic of any Comic Republic character minimum of 3pages for Batman vs Superman movie tickets & popcorn. Deadline is March 20th before 25th which is the movie premiere in Nigeria...#ComicRepublicRocks

Kazna69:
Aww man all these events going down & I'm Missing the money. Shame on me. sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairaland Artist Gets Recognised By National Mirror Newspaper / Branding, Identity & Logo Design Explained / Akwa Ibom State Government Logo Design Competition: Win ₦250,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.