Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,461 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Disavantages Of Indigenous Languages In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Disavantages Of Indigenous Languages In Nigeria (4295 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / I Hope That The Indigenous Languages Of Nigeria Will Continue To Be Spoken. / Disavantages Of Indigenous Languages In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disavantages Of Indigenous Languages In Nigeria by Epreacher: 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2009
PLEASE I AM DOING  PROJECT ON LANGUEGES. AND I NEED HELP WITHIN THE NEXT 24HRS
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME THE DISAVANTAGES OF LANGUAGES IN NIGERIA?
THANKS, I NEED A LOT OF CONTRIBUTION TO THIS QUESTION.
Re: Disavantages Of Indigenous Languages In Nigeria by IFELEKE(m): 7:53pm On Apr 16, 2009
This could be of help.
=================
Mother-Tongue Literacy in Nigeria
J. T. OKEDARA
C. A. OKEDARA

The importance of mother-tongue literacy cannot be overemphasized. Regrettably, contemporary language literacy in Nigeria is fraught with constraints, such as the lack of orthography for a large proportion of Nigerian languages. The prospects for mass literacy are not encouraging, unless the federal government of Nigeria directs its efforts to developing orthography and literature in many unwritten indigenous languages. Moreover, there is a need to clarify, in terms of policy, what it means to be literate locally, regionally, and nationally. The newly established Commission for Adult and Non-Formal Education is charged with working out language policy for an adult literacy program in the country. The hope is that the commission will soon provide a realistic solution to the problem. Nigeria could thereby present a model program for other countries in similar circumstances to emulate, as necessary and appropriate.
==========================================
Ciao!

(1) (Reply)

Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? / What You Must Know About Ofo And Ogu / Benin History 101... Myth About Oba Of Benin Bursted!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.