Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six (37175 Views)

I Make N150,000 Monthly Selling Akara In Kaduna – Widow / Nigeria’s Top Five Billionaires Whose Wealth Could Wipe Out Extreme Poverty / Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by emamos: 8:19am On Sep 26, 2015
Abia State-born Festus Ukariwo, 51 and father of six, is gradually becoming a celebrity in Kuje, Abuja, frying akara alongside his wife, Ifeoma. The couple shared their experiences with AGBO-PAUL AUGUSTINE on how the trade pulled them out of poverty.

While Ifeoma, 37, prepares the children for school in the early hours of every workday, Festus on the other hand is washing the already soaked beans to be milled in the wee hours as customers will start to flood their Funtaj road sales point from 7am.

Workers heading to work and parents taking their wards to schools have made it a duty call to stop by the makeshift tent where Festus Ukariwo, 51, and his wife jointly fry beans cake (popularly known as akara).

The couple hail from Ohafia in Abia State and have 6 children with the youngest just a few months old. While frying Akara in Kuje in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) just like everywhere in Nigeria is a common trade among women, the determination shown by Festus has caught the attention of not a few admirers in Kuje.

Also the fact that Ukariwo is from the Eastern part of Nigeria and Abia State in particular, many people in Kuje naturally expect a different business from Ukariwo. The father of six, has however, decided to pitch his tent where he has the greatest strength.

LEADERSHIP Weekend visited the family of eight at their Kuje point of sales and first to speak was Ifeoma as Festus was away to grind the beans. The children were already dressed up for school with their fees and writing materials as well as general upkeeps are funded by the proceeds from Akara sales.

Sharing her story, Ifeoma said her husband was an Okada commercial rider in Kubwa, FCT and was always involved in accidents before moving to Kuje.

“When our church building was demolished in Kubwa, we decided to move to Kuje in 2013 along with our church. In Kuje my husband decided to leave Okada business and while he was thinking of what to do, one day he now asked me ‘why don’t I join you in the akara business?

“Initially, I declined the idea, I told him I prefer the Okada riding than frying akara but he refused that he was tired of the risk involved in commercial transportation. After series of quarrels, my husband told me that I should close my ears to gossips and concentrate on the family and the business.

“And since he joined me in frying Akara, the business has improved tremendously as my husband is multitalented and has a way of charming people with his customer service skills. More and more people continue to patronise us,” Ifeoma said.

Speaking to LEADERSHIP Weekend, Festus said he grew up in Cameroon and lived a mixed life and by the time he was done he decided to move to Abia State in search of a wife.

“I got married to Ifeoma in 2001 with the hope that things will improve for me but it never happened and it got me worried. At a point I wanted to return her back to her parents but sheer determination in her changed my mind.

“When we moved to Kubwa I decided to go into commercial motorcycling since I couldn’t secure a paid job and my wife was frying akara to support me because things were really difficult for us. We were poor, but I was unwilling to go outside my faith to make money,” Ukariwo said.

Narrating further he said after they suffered demolition in Kubwa, they had to move along with their church to Kuje which has been of great assistance to them.

According to Ukariwo, the decision to form alliance with his wife was borne out of his resolution not to ride Okada again and to help turnaround the business because he saw fortune in it.

“At first when I joined my wife in frying akara, many people mocked me and called me names but amazingly today I now give some of them money, bread and akara for free.

“Whether people talk or not food must be eaten in the house and remember I have six children who must eat and go to school and it all comes down to having money and that is why I went into akara business with my wife,” he said.

When Ukariwo’s wife went on maternity a few months ago, he was fully in charge frying akara in the morning and evening couple with getting the five children ready for school in the morning and picking them after classes. “The fact that I didn’t get conventional education will not be a barrier for my children; I will make sure they get the best I can afford for now.”

The couple further told LEADERSHIP Weekend that they make a turnover of about N5, 000 daily with a profit of about N2, 000 giving them a monthly net income of over N50, 000. “Frying Akara is not a man’s job but it is better than not doing anything at all,” Ukariwo said.”

While he has vowed not to go into crime to make money, Ukariwo’s desire is to get the necessary funds to expand the business to a full eatery while he opens another trade for himself to cater for his children’s education.

The multitalented Abia State indigene is said to be also good in carpentry, tailoring and other artisan works but lacks the necessary funds to harness in his potential in the field.

A few customers who spoke to LEADERSHIP Weekend praised the courage in Ukariwo in helping to turn around the fortune of his wife’s akara business. However, some called for birth control to enable him concentrate on the upbringing of the six children who have to be fed, clothed and educated.

http://leadership.ng/features/463274/how-frying-akara-took-me-out-of-poverty-father-of-six

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 26, 2015
The man was humble enough and God added help and now He is a celebrity.
Serves a lesson to the lazy guys and ladies that do expect white collar jobs, pls get up work with your hands, doesnt matter any demeaning work, do it with humility and stop living in false dreams.
1 peter 5 v 6 - humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God and He will exalt you in due time.
btw o.p where is the man's pinshure? Upload it or else awontbilivit.

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by prettytasha(f): 8:20am On Sep 26, 2015
hmm
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Tallesty1(m): 8:22am On Sep 26, 2015
The man for don die tey tey if to say he married a bad woman.

But God blessed him with a woman of noble character, for her price is far above rubies.

The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.

She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.

Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord , she shall be praised.

Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

95 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Seuncoded(f): 8:23am On Sep 26, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Redoil: 8:27am On Sep 26, 2015
the owoda owoda people should learn from this people

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by MissSlimbody(f): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2015
I just love igbo men. They don't see helping their wives a big deal.

There's one on my street too. The husband does all the hard-work, and the wife just sell to customers.

If yoruba man try that one, him family go say him wife done turn their pikin to mumu.
Some yoruba men do it sha, but its very rare.

Before tribal warlords start qouting me.

#Omoyorubanimi...Onye ofe nmanu to the bone.

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by zinachidi(m): 8:53am On Sep 26, 2015
wow, determination+hardwork= success

1 Like

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Kingsasian(m): 8:58am On Sep 26, 2015
Two heads are better than one. That is the result one get from planning and working together. If na some women them for don leave the man and start frolicking with Abuja men and boys and the man would have joined some kidnappers or robbers all in the guise of "there is no job or I don't have a job". I love this couples. Lord please give me an understanding wife.

13 Likes

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by emamos: 8:59am On Sep 26, 2015
Redoil:
the owoda owoda people should learn from this people

2 Likes

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by ihatebuhari(f): 9:41am On Sep 26, 2015
grin

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Mznaett: 9:42am On Sep 26, 2015
y
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by cyberdurable(m): 9:42am On Sep 26, 2015
U are better than some oil consuming tribe, that only knows how to do rituals

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by adorablepepple(f): 9:42am On Sep 26, 2015
I keep saying it,if you are hard working you will surely survive no matter What the economy of the country says. Life can be difficult but with JESUS everything will be beautiful in it's own time.I love courageous people .
BTW they should have stopped child birth by now haba!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by pikanto123: 9:42am On Sep 26, 2015
Hard Work + Focus :PHard Work + Focus
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by anigbajumo(m): 9:42am On Sep 26, 2015
Shoroniyen]
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 26, 2015
undecided why give birth to SIX children when you can't take care of them? Why do we have to put ourselves in tight angles? SIX children for a man who has no real source of income is just pure foolishness and stupidity
Whatever happened to family planning? undecided

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:43am On Sep 26, 2015
Inspiring.

Check my signature to see how you can make huge money starting your own plantain farm.
Join the plantain millionaire farmers and start making money in the multibillion plantain industry

1 Like

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by 360ng: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
IN SUMMARY, Hardwork Pays

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by VIPERVENOM(m): 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
lovely!!! far better Dan pushing drugs to Malaysia.....

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by BiggerBangs: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
kiss

There is Millions in Every Business it depend on how you package it and your attitude towards your clients

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by mmsen: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
Teamwork is what a good marriage is about.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Richie0974: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Richie0974: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
Good
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2015
When I saw ur name... Just knew its true!!!

1 Like

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by ajepako(f): 9:45am On Sep 26, 2015
I'm Yoruba, and proudly Lagosian.

But this is one of the things I love most about Ibos.

They are very hardworking..

Never seen a lazy Ig-bo before..

Ig-bo Kwenu!

# team-say-no-to-tribalism#

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by IamLEGEND1: 9:45am On Sep 26, 2015
when the news reach him mama for village....
she go hustle one baba wey sure make him liberate her son from the wife

2 Likes

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by saintkel(m): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2015
Did u see passion and collaboration? Dat scaled them tru. Wen wot u do has no passion, it won't work

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by safarigirl(f): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2015
This is awesome, hard work and humility is all it takes. People who go about choosing jobs are simply not hungry, I'm already interning to roast corn and peer. Last last if pesin no see work, we go dey roast corn

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by pretydiva(f): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2015
There's always dignity in labour
Re: How Frying Akara Took Me Out Of Poverty – Father Of Six by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 26, 2015
Father of 6?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We lied about GTBank, Supreme Court judgment – Innoson admits / Lagos On Lockdown As Many Engage In "Last Minute Rush Buys For Xmas" - Photos / Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.