Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,299 members, 7,839,466 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? (3956 Views)

Lunar Eclipse: See What The Prophet Instructed Us To Do? / How We Are To Have Sex With Our Wives In Accordance To Sunnah- Friday Lecture / Did The Prophet Warn Us Of ISIS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2015
alexis:

And "scholars" like you who make such claims but can't reference it or state it's source shows how desperate you are. It's true that Mohammad married a 6 year old child - that is from Islamic theology and the Hadith; that was the custom then and in many parts of the world. He slept with the girl when she was 9 years old; now that is a disturbing fact. Other cultures didn't sleep with their kids at such a young age; it was prevalent in the Arab culture which Mohammad came from. In your mind, that is somehow justifiable and instead of you to honestly address such practice; you will ignore it and run in another direction claiming Mary was 12 and Joseph was 90. The Bible is the authoritative source for Christians, every "Church goer" knows that.

I will make it simple, here is the hadith confirming how old Aisha was when she was married and when Mohammad slept with her:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64
Narrated 'Aisha:
that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).

Which of God's holy prophets do you see marrying children? While you are at it, please do justice by showing us from the Bible or even your Quran where it claimed that Mary was 12 and Joseph was 90

I said you are just ordinary church goer grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 8:35am On Oct 24, 2015
Mary was 12 years old when betrothed to Joseph

Catholic Encyclopaedia says:

“When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, “the Lord’s brother”). A year after his wife’s death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age. Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place.” [6]

One thing needs to be remembered, although they say that she was 12 years old when she was betrothed to 90 year old Joseph, most Christians of today reject this story, because Joseph would be labelled a ‘paedophile’.

‘History of Joseph the Carpenter’ also confirms that Mary was 12 years old when betrothed to Joseph. Chapter 3 and 4 states:

3. Now when righteous Joseph became a widower, my mother Mary, blessed, holy, and pure, was already twelve years old. For her parents offered her in the temple when she was three years of age, and she remained in the temple of the Lord nine years. Then when the priests saw that the virgin, holy and God-fearing, was growing up, they spoke to each other, saying: Let us search out a man, righteous and pious, to whom Mary may be entrusted until the time of her marriage; lest, if she remain in the temple, it happen to her as is wont to happen to women, and lest on that account we sin, and God be angry with us.

4. Therefore they immediately sent out, and assembled twelve old men of the tribe of Judah. And they wrote down the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. And the lot fell upon the pious old man, righteous Joseph. Then the priests answered, and said to my blessed mother: Go with Joseph, and be with him till the time of your marriage. Righteous Joseph therefore received my mother, and led her away to his own house. And Mary found James the Less in his father’s house, broken-hearted and sad on account of the loss of his mother, and she brought him up. Hence Mary was called the mother of James. Luke 24:10 Thereafter Joseph left her at home, and went away to the shop where he wrought at his trade of a carpenter. And after the holy virgin had spent two years in his house her age was exactly fourteen years, including the time at which he received her.
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 8:52am On Oct 25, 2015
yazach:
Mary was 12 years old when betrothed to Joseph

Catholic Encyclopaedia says:

“When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, “the Lord’s brother”). A year after his wife’s death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age. Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place.” [6]

One thing needs to be remembered, although they say that she was 12 years old when she was betrothed to 90 year old Joseph, most Christians of today reject this story, because Joseph would be labelled a ‘paedophile’.

‘History of Joseph the Carpenter’ also confirms that Mary was 12 years old when betrothed to Joseph. Chapter 3 and 4 states:

3. Now when righteous Joseph became a widower, my mother Mary, blessed, holy, and pure, was already twelve years old. For her parents offered her in the temple when she was three years of age, and she remained in the temple of the Lord nine years. Then when the priests saw that the virgin, holy and God-fearing, was growing up, they spoke to each other, saying: Let us search out a man, righteous and pious, to whom Mary may be entrusted until the time of her marriage; lest, if she remain in the temple, it happen to her as is wont to happen to women, and lest on that account we sin, and God be angry with us.

4. Therefore they immediately sent out, and assembled twelve old men of the tribe of Judah. And they wrote down the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. And the lot fell upon the pious old man, righteous Joseph. Then the priests answered, and said to my blessed mother: Go with Joseph, and be with him till the time of your marriage. Righteous Joseph therefore received my mother, and led her away to his own house. And Mary found James the Less in his father’s house, broken-hearted and sad on account of the loss of his mother, and she brought him up. Hence Mary was called the mother of James. Luke 24:10 Thereafter Joseph left her at home, and went away to the shop where he wrought at his trade of a carpenter. And after the holy virgin had spent two years in his house her age was exactly fourteen years, including the time at which he received her.

Catholics also believe in purgatory - which is when you pay the Catholic church enough money, then can pray for your relative that was in hell and your relative will not go to hell. That is called "Catholic traditions" - it means it's not biblical

Second, while you are at it, read the catholic 10 commandments - they left out the commandment where Christians are taught not to make any graven image and worship it. Again, this is not biblical. Christians don't worship images or bow down to them

While you can refer to heresies as Christian belief, it goes to show what you know about Christianity. So I will ask you again, WHERE IN THE BIBLE DID IT SAY MARY WAS 12 AND JOSEPH WAS 90?

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 2:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
alexis:

Catholics also believe in purgatory - which is when you pay the Catholic church enough money, then can pray for your relative that was in hell and your relative will not go to hell. That is called "Catholic traditions" - it means it's not biblical

Second, while you are at it, read the catholic 10 commandments - they left out the commandment where Christians are taught not to make any graven image and worship it. Again, this is not biblical. Christians don't worship images or bow down to them

While you can refer to heresies as Christian belief, it goes to show what you know about Christianity. So I will ask you again, WHERE IN THE BIBLE DID IT SAY MARY WAS 12 AND JOSEPH WAS 90?

Ogbeni pack well.
Is catholic not the founder of your religion, where were you then
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 5:45am On Oct 27, 2015
yazach:

Ogbeni pack well.
Is catholic not the founder of your religion, where were you then

So Catholics existed before Jesus Christ abi? mumuness at it's highest order. I can't force you to be ignorant Bros; you are doing so very well. Again, I will ask you - where in the Bible did it say Mary was 12 and Joseph was 90?

If you can't provide an answer, it shows how dishonest you are since you are ignoring the original question. Which of God Almighty holy prophets married a 6 year old and slept with her when she was 9? You are yet to answer. I dey wait.

I will even go further. If prophet Mohammad was alive today and you had a 6 year ole daughter and he asked that he marries her and you know he will sleep with her when she turns 9, would you do it?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 12:21pm On Oct 27, 2015
alexis:

[s]So Catholics existed before Jesus Christ abi? mumuness at it's highest order. I can't force you to be ignorant Bros; you are doing so very well. Again, I will ask you - where in the Bible did it say Mary was 12 and Joseph was 90?

If you can't provide an answer, it shows how dishonest you are since you are ignoring the original question. Which of God Almighty holy prophets married a 6 year old and slept with her when she was 9? You are yet to answer. I dey wait.

I will even go further. If prophet Mohammad was alive today and you had a 6 year ole daughter and he asked that he marries her and you know he will sleep with her when she turns 9, would you do it?[/s]

Did Jesus ever heard the WORD "CHRISTIANITY"? Did he ever read the bible to prove its authenticity?

Stop deceiving your self dude
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 9:33pm On Oct 27, 2015
yazach:

Did Jesus ever heard the WORD "CHRISTIANITY"? Did he ever read the bible to prove its authenticity?

Stop deceiving your self dude

I will ask you the same questions - Did Mohammad ever say the Shahada to become a muslim? Did he ever read the Quran to prove it's authenticity?

Do you see how stupid your questions are - they have no bearing on the subject at hand. The Bible especially the New Testament are oral events that happened and was written down for reference to record Jesus life and the advent of the Church. The same applies to the Quran. Please answer my questions I have asked? Where in the Bible did it say Mary was 12 and Joseph was 90? You will never find it because Christians use only the Bible as the authoritative word of God and it doesn't exist.

Let me ask you a simple question, are Ahmadiyya considered Muslims?

Christians are not like Muslims who use text that are hundreds of years apart of the main event that we can't historically trace them. Al-Bukhari Hadiths are at least 150 years from the death of Mohammad, that is a very long time to accurately capture what was said and done. Ibn Ishaq is the same. The Bible especially the New Testament is different, the gospels and events that happened where captured and recorded by people that saw Jesus, His disciples, eye witnesses etc.

Muslims on the other hand use the Quran, the Hadith and many other sources to form the Islamic jurisprudence that guide you today. For example, there is no where in the Quran where it says you should pray 5 times a day - absolutely no where but you guys do all the same.

So, you have poked a lot of holes in your argument and you are not intelligent enough to defend them. You have:

1. Confirmed that Mohammad slept with a 9 year old child as confirmed in your holy texts but in order to defend it, you said Mary was 12 years old and Joseph was 90. I asked you to show me and you quoted Catholic encyclopedia as if the Catholic encyclopedia is the Bible.
2. Secondly, let us say the Bible and Catholics never existed - will Mohammad sleeping with a 9 year old child be appropriate? Will you give your 6 year old sister to marry a 54 year old man or your 9 year old daughter to have sexual intercourse with your grand-father?

I dey wait for you oh

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 11:36am On Oct 28, 2015
alexis:

I will ask you the same questions - Did Mohammad ever say the Shahada to become a muslim? Did he ever read the Quran to prove it's authenticity?

[s]Do you see how stupid your questions are - they have no bearing on the subject at hand. The Bible especially the New Testament are oral events that happened and was written down for reference to record Jesus life and the advent of the Church. The same applies to the Quran. Please answer my questions I have asked? Where in the Bible did it say Mary was 12 and Joseph was 90? You will never find it because Christians use only the Bible as the authoritative word of God and it doesn't exist.

Let me ask you a simple question, are Ahmadiyya considered Muslims?

Christians are not like Muslims who use text that are hundreds of years apart of the main event that we can't historically trace them. Al-Bukhari Hadiths are at least 150 years from the death of Mohammad, that is a very long time to accurately capture what was said and done. Ibn Ishaq is the same. The Bible especially the New Testament is different, the gospels and events that happened where captured and recorded by people that saw Jesus, His disciples, eye witnesses etc.

Muslims on the other hand use the Quran, the Hadith and many other sources to form the Islamic jurisprudence that guide you today. For example, there is no where in the Quran where it says you should pray 5 times a day - absolutely no where but you guys do all the same.

So, you have poked a lot of holes in your argument and you are not intelligent enough to defend them. You have:

1. Confirmed that Mohammad slept with a 9 year old child as confirmed in your holy texts but in order to defend it, you said Mary was 12 years old and Joseph was 90. I asked you to show me and you quoted Catholic encyclopedia as if the Catholic encyclopedia is the Bible.
2. Secondly, let us say the Bible and Catholics never existed - will Mohammad sleeping with a 9 year old child be appropriate? Will you give your 6 year old sister to marry a 54 year old man or your 9 year old daughter to have sexual intercourse with your grand-father?

I dey wait for you oh[/s]

Your answer is yes, he read the qura'an to before he died. It was not fabricated like bible

Qura'an is mentioned in so many ways inside it

Can you show me where bible is mentioned in the bible?

Islam is mentioned as the only acceptable religion in the qura'an

Show me the same thing in the bible?

will you stop going beyond the question?
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 3:30am On Oct 29, 2015
yazach

Your answer is yes, he read the qura'an to before he died. It was not fabricated like bible

He was an illiterate, so how could he read? Please show me the Surah and verse where Mohammad verbally uttered the Shahada. Please tell us the exact year he said it and wrote it down. He was an illiterate and didn't know how to read or write. You desperate attempt of inserting your own feelings into Islamic history is embarrassing Bros. I plead with you to sit down and shut up before you make yourself look more than a fool

Qura'an is mentioned in so many ways inside it

Dude - why do you insist of displaying your ignorance. The Quran didn't exist during Mohammad life-time. It was after his death that the task of compiling the Quran was issued by the then Caliph. The text and creed of the Quran never existed, the 114 Surahs never existed - please stop insisting and showing us how intelligently and historically bankrupt you are.

Can you show me where bible is mentioned in the bible?

Can you show me where Nigeria is mentioned in the Quran or where the word Internet is mentioned in the Quran too? Your argument is baseless and groundless. The Bible is a collection of Christian and Hebrew scriptures consisting of Jewish laws, revelations, history and writings. The same is of the Quran. To argue that the word wasn't mention and as a result, it doesn't hold any value is tantamount to saying that a word doesn't have meaning because you can't historically trace it. I take God beg you, sit down and shut up

Islam is mentioned as the only acceptable religion in the qura'an

The Bible came 600 years before the Quran. 600 years of historical and traceable evidence before Mohammad or Angel Gibril revealed anything to him. Yet he denied historical events of the Bible. He said Jesus was never crucified because an angel in a cave told him so - Roman records confirmed Jesus was crucified; over 500 eye witnesses confirmed Jesus was crucified. Yet Mohammad said it was a lie. Ignorant deluded individuals like you, will not do any objective research but will say the Quran is the only acceptable religion because the Quran said so. The Quran said Adam was 90 feet tall - I am sure you believe that too.

Show me the same thing in the bible?

My response is above

will you stop going beyond the question?

I will ask again - Your holy text:

Stop playing pretend and answer the question
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 11:21am On Oct 29, 2015
alexis:
yazach

[s]He was an illiterate, so how could he read? Please show me the Surah and verse where Mohammad verbally uttered the Shahada. Please tell us the exact year he said it and wrote it down. He was an illiterate and didn't know how to read or write. You desperate attempt of inserting your own feelings into Islamic history is embarrassing Bros. I plead with you to sit down and shut up before you make yourself look more than a fool

Dude - why do you insist of displaying your ignorance. The Quran didn't exist during Mohammad life-time. It was after his death that the task of compiling the Quran was issued by the then Caliph. The text and creed of the Quran never existed, the 114 Surahs never existed - please stop insisting and showing us how intelligently and historically bankrupt you are.

Can you show me where Nigeria is mentioned in the Quran or where the word Internet is mentioned in the Quran too? Your argument is baseless and groundless. The Bible is a collection of Christian and Hebrew scriptures consisting of Jewish laws, revelations, history and writings. The same is of the Quran. To argue that the word wasn't mention and as a result, it doesn't hold any value is tantamount to saying that a word doesn't have meaning because you can't historically trace it. I take God beg you, sit down and shut up

The Bible came 600 years before the Quran. 600 years of historical and traceable evidence before Mohammad or Angel Gibril revealed anything to him. Yet he denied historical events of the Bible. He said Jesus was never crucified because an angel in a cave told him so - Roman records confirmed Jesus was crucified; over 500 eye witnesses confirmed Jesus was crucified. Yet Mohammad said it was a lie. Ignorant deluded individuals like you, will not do any objective research but will say the Quran is the only acceptable religion because the Quran said so. The Quran said Adam was 90 feet tall - I am sure you believe that too.

My response is above

Stop playing pretend and answer the question[/s]

Did you need a teacher to teach you history undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Just type to google "Prophet Mohammed reciting the Qura'an" follow by "story of the Qura'an"

After you finish your assignment, come back to me
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 5:16pm On Oct 29, 2015
yazach:

Did you need a teacher to teach you history undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Just type to google "Prophet Mohammed reciting the Qura'an" follow by "story of the Qura'an"

After you finish your assignment, come back to me

So I should use google now instead of the Quran abi? You are a joke. Go study some history Bros. So far, you have been successful is showing your ignorance
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 10:03pm On Oct 29, 2015
alexis:

[s]So I should use google now instead of the Quran abi? You are a joke. Go study some history Bros. So far, you have been successful is showing your ignorance[/s]

Use all means Just learn history and come back to me undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 4:17pm On Nov 02, 2015
yazach:

Use all means Just learn history and come back to me undecided undecided undecided undecided

I find it hard to keep a dialog with someone who insist on being ignorant. If you seriously want to see the experts of both sides of the argument, please will refer you to Shabir Ally vs. David Wood on several topics. I consider Shabir Ally to be one of the best Islamic scholars of our time. David Wood, a former atheist now Christian is one of the newest and detailed Christian apologetic of our time. I suggest you watch their debates, perhaps it will give you some insight into Islamic theology before you come here and make a fool of yourself

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 6:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
alexis:

I find it hard to keep a dialog with someone who insist on being ignorant. If you seriously want to see the experts of both sides of the argument, please will refer you to Shabir Ally vs. David Wood on several topics. I consider Shabir Ally to be one of the best Islamic scholars of our time. David Wood, a former atheist now Christian is one of the newest and detailed Christian apologetic of our time. I suggest you watch their debates, perhaps it will give you some insight into Islamic theology before you come here and make a fool of yourself

No you should rather pick up hamed deedat's book to liberate your discourteous

He makes me laugh "he consider shabir Ally to be one of the best Islamic scholar".
I try to know his yardstick for that grin grin grin grin grin
later he will spew "intellect"
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 6:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
alexis:

So I should use google now instead of the Quran abi? You are a joke. Go study some history Bros. So far, you have been successful is showing your ignorance

But you said the prophet did not recite the qura'an doesn't that sounds oblivious on your path. Did you see why you are not worth arguing with.
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 7:23am On Nov 07, 2015
yazach:

But you said the prophet did not recite the qura'an doesn't that sounds oblivious on your path. Did you see why you are not worth arguing with.

Where did I say he didn't recite the Quran - why are you lying? I responded to you the same way when you said, Did Jesus ever read the bible to prove its authenticity?. I asked the same, did Muhammad ever read the Quran to prove it's authenticity? He was an illiterate, he couldn't read

Now you are here twisting what I said and inserting words in my mouth. I never said Mohammad didn't recite fragments of what is consider Quranic - I said he never read the Quran because it was never compiled during his life time. It's evident you are having a hard time keeping up with the topic
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 7:41am On Nov 07, 2015
yazach:

No you should rather pick up hamed deedat's book to liberate your discourteous

He makes me laugh "he consider shabir Ally to be one of the best Islamic scholar".
I try to know his yardstick for that grin grin grin grin grin
later he will spew "intellect"

What has Hamed Deedat argued that Shabir Ally hasn't? I have watched many of his debates and the themes are the same as is the same with many Islamic scholars, the denial of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ; the belief that Christians corrupted the Bible, the denial of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and so on.

I keep asking you but you are scared to answer me:

Stop playing pretend and answer the question
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by Trustworthiness: 10:12pm On Nov 07, 2015
Jazakallahu khairan
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 8:55am On Nov 08, 2015
alexis:

[s]What has Hamed Deedat argued that Shabir Ally hasn't? I have watched many of his debates and the themes are the same as is the same with many Islamic scholars, the denial of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ; the belief that Christians corrupted the Bible, the denial of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and so on.

I keep asking you but you are scared to answer me:

Stop playing pretend and answer the question[/s]

Have finish your assignment? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 5:29pm On Nov 08, 2015
yazach:

Have finish your assignment? undecided undecided undecided undecided

When you develop some seriousness and honestly, come back and engage me.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by yazach: 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2015
alexis:

[s]When you develop some seriousness and honestly, come back and engage me.[/s]

Go and finish your assignment tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by Febuhari: 10:13pm On Nov 14, 2015
alexis:

When you develop some seriousness and honestly, come back and engage me.
@Alexis you are one hell of a guy! Never seen a brilliant arguments like these my whole life.
Re: Why Did The Prophet Have So Many Wives? by alexis(m): 12:26am On Nov 17, 2015
Febuhari:
@Alexis you are one hell of a guy! Never seen a brilliant arguments like these my whole life.

Thanks mate - I hate dishonesty and exaggeration. When people don't use their brains to think for themselves and accept dogma; it vexes me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lessons From The Explanation Of Riyaadus Saaliheen Made By Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen / How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? / Coolness Of The Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.