Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders (39975 Views)

Armed Robbers From Onitsha Killed In Ogun By Police (Graphic Photo) / Members Of Robbery Gang From Onitsha Shot Dead In Ogun / Cars, Laptops Recovered As EFCC Arrest Three 'Yahoo' Boys In Lagos. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by sunnyb0b0(m): 9:16am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:
The policy doesn’t need to be reversed.

Everywhere in the world, for such bulk transactions, a bank needs to be involved.

It helps with currency tracking, reduces the possibility of such funds being used for illicit trading / terrorism. It also helps as a control against money laundering and other offences.

I believe the money should be returned to the owners once their authenticity is verified. They should also be mentored on how future transactions are to be undertaken.

The EFCC / CBN should also make it a point of duty to go on road trips to educate traders on transactions are expected to be carried out.

Commercial banks who need such funds by the way should see this as an avenue for marketing their various products.

There is no limit to the amount of cash you are allowed to take out of Nigeria but you have to declare any sum more than $10,000.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 9:16am On Sep 27, 2015
tiwiex:
not reported I agree. So can you report and get away with it? Are there exemptions to seizures? My friend declared 40k dolls on entry to the US and he was allowed in. So b4 we start screaming universal, I think it is to control illegal and dangerous behaviours. I am not sure trading is one. These actions have far reaching impacts. The international community will soon start screaming. International business will suffer.
Exactly, you know everyone just say what they like,you are right my friend, once you declare it its no longer an offence and if its below $10000,you do not need to declare it.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by lomprico(m): 9:18am On Sep 27, 2015
eyesofgod:

Who were the dealers?
Who are the dealers?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by eyesofgod: 9:18am On Sep 27, 2015
tiwiex:
not reported I agree. So can you report and get away with it? Are there exemptions to seizures? My friend declared 40k dolls on entry to the US and he was allowed in. So b4 we start screaming universal, I think it is to control illegal and dangerous behaviours. I am not sure trading is one. These actions have far reaching impacts. The international community will soon start screaming. International business will suffer.

Why do we find it easier to break laws than obey them?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 9:18am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:

Everywhere in the world, for such bulk transactions, a bank needs to be involved.

It helps with currency tracking, reduces the possibility of such funds being used for illicit trading / terrorism. It also helps as a control against money laundering and other offences.

I believe the money should be returned to the owners once their authenticity is verified. They should also be mentored on how future transactions are to be undertaken.

The EFCC / CBN should also make it a point of duty to go on road trips to educate traders on transactions are expected to be carried out.

Commercial banks who need such funds by the way should see this as an avenue for marketing their various products.
Not realy.If not for the cash limits on cards do you think these traders will carry cash?

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 9:20am On Sep 27, 2015
drey076:

ODE, they ought to report themselves to the appropriate authority for traveling with above stipulated amount.
The policy is good
you calling someone ODE, now tell us whats the stipulated amount plz

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by nobeku: 9:21am On Sep 27, 2015
gonaeme:
Some ppl comments without knowing the reason traders are travelling with cash.one of the policies Buhari introduced was to stop banks from accept dollars while his intention was to fight money laundering through banks,the same policy is affecting the importation,smthing has to be done,importers has to be given preference if not the policy will have a toll on the economy very soon.
Nairaland is full of juveniles and youngsters.. Anyone serious about sending funds abroad for procurement of goods/services can do just that.. enough of this silly excuse of not being able to transfer funds abroad.. When you go to ALL the banks, there are appropriate quarters for doing so.. It'd just that most Nigerians speak forth out of nonsense annoying ignorance.. Most of the "wailers" are not ready to put themselves through the process cos it's not business as usual.. There are several abi many payment processes offline and offline Nigerians can use to make their international payments.. Let Nigerians rid themselves of laziness and ignorance and do the needful..

4 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by petikal(m): 9:22am On Sep 27, 2015
funkiebully:

Convert dollar to naira or what? Do they transact in naira?

Yes, at the official conversion rate - Naira to whatever currency their partner needs. If it's Dollars, then a double conversion unfortunately. Nigerian currency is Naira, isn't it? What am I even saying, we have a hard time valuing our things, including our own currency.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by rusher14: 9:22am On Sep 27, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

There is no limit to the amount of cash you are allowed to take out of Nigeria but you have to declare any sum more than $10,000.

I may be wrong but the article states $5,000 is the max and I reckon you must declare anything more than that.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 9:23am On Sep 27, 2015
NL is peopled by willfullly ignorant folks most of whom have never been to MMA nor wired $500 outside Naija!! There is no limit of money u can bring into Naija. As a matter of fact, Customs and EFCC don't ask u if you re bringing $€£ into Naija, so once these funds are brought into Naija and purchased local BDCs, then EFCC swings into action to seize money??
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by rusher14: 9:25am On Sep 27, 2015
vexing:

Then why EFCC go to d market to arrest the bureau de change guy. How many aboki bureau de change guys have been arrested. Stop forming intellectual my guy. This is pure witch hunting. Smh for this pathetic country called Nigeria
You do realise these guys were caught at the airport.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Chigold101(m): 9:27am On Sep 27, 2015
christinie:
This is so bad. This is why some people reduce their money to white powder before travelling. How do they want importers to cope? Please reverse this policy.
this is why we wailed against Buhari becoming the President... We saw this coming... Those Igbo Buhari fans should come and enjoy… this is just the beginning...

Can someone call Father Mbaka for me...?

3 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by rusher14: 9:28am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:
NL is peopled by willfullly ignorant folks most of whom have never been to MMA nor wired $500 outside Naija!! There is no limit of money u can bring into Naija. As a matter of fact, Customs and EFCC don't ask u if you re bringing $€£ into Naija, so once these funds are brought into Naija and purchased local BDCs, then EFCC swings into action to seize money??

At the airport, on your way out of any country of this world, eyebrows would surely be raised and questions asked if found with bulk sums.

Such money could be seized if considered to be proceeds of crime.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:

U deserve an honorary PhD for dis.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by bnovative(m): 9:30am On Sep 27, 2015
Okudiover:

That the traders mentioned where they made the transaction is a different matter. The best you can charge the operators is for operating a bureau de change outside existing monetary regulations. This does not absolve the traders of culpability in money laundering as ignorance of the law is no excuse. grin grin grin
The culpability of the traders was not the point that caught my attention, but going to the market to arrest the dealers. Except you will feign ignorance, majority of operators of bureau de change outside existing monetary regulations are northerners. why pick on onitsha? couldn't it have been enough to confiscate the money and prosecute the traders than go to harrass the dealers? i have been directed several times by bankers in the bank to this black market dealers; it's no secret. If efcc want to do a sincere job, why not go to these known black market spots, from the north to the south?

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by christinie(f): 9:35am On Sep 27, 2015
I never supported him.
Chigold101:
this is why we wailed against Buhari becoming the President... We saw this coming... Those Igbo Buhari fans should come and enjoy… this is just the beginning...

Can someone call Father Mbaka for me...?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Blackkie: 9:36am On Sep 27, 2015
The government and its agencies got it wrong about dollar transactions.
You stopped domiciliary accounts and limits business men from travelling with excess of $10k.

My question is this, how much does it cost to import?
Can the banks help by any means?

This government does not understand commerce at all. EFCC is behaving like Zombie.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by sunnyb0b0(m): 9:41am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:

I may be wrong but the article states $5,000 is the max and I reckon you must declare anything more than that.

The article itself is wrong on the $5000 limit.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 9:42am On Sep 27, 2015
ESMANIA1476:
There's no ignorance in law. The policy is a very good policy to strengthen our own currency due to dwindling in oil price. The current policy on foreign currency lodgement in commercial banks made adequate provision for importers and exporters. Those wailing without the in - depth knowledge of the policy should visit CBN website www.cbn.gov for adequate information. The anti money laundering of declaring cash while travelling and limit of the amount you can travel with was not made by this administration rather it's in the Anti Money Laundering Act. After due diligence and confirmation that they're genuine traders, there money and passport should be returned and educate on how to carry out such transactions. Thank you.
No B by force to comment, how does this stupid policy strengthen the Naira?You where confused with grammar.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by sunnyb0b0(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2015
franciskaine:
U deserve an honorary PhD for dis.

He deserves am honorary PhD for a wrong analysis?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by otiigba1(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2015
You can do what ever you like to an igbo man, call him what ever you like, insult him how ever you want, but don't take his money from him..unless you want war.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:

At the airport, on your way out of any country of this world, eyebrows would surely be raised and questions asked if found with bulk sums.

Only if you could not explain its source.If I produce evidence of buying the hard currency I wont have a problem,I have done this b4 on my way to china from the UK cos I did not want to use my credit or debit card anywhere in china.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 9:46am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

Another ignorantly-opinionated troll.. Banks don't accept foreign currencies in Naija. Why is that folks that have never held any dom account are talking

Easy on the rudeness, dude, it is absolutely unneeded. I do own a dom account but use it only to remit money to Nigeria from abroad not the other way round. BTW, is the portion of your statement in bold a new Nigerian policy or has it always been there? If so, do you mind enlightening me on how these cash-totting Nigerian traders beat the 10K cash limit at foreign airports?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by bnovative(m): 9:46am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:
You do realise these guys were caught at the airport.
U mean the dealers were caught at the airport?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 9:47am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:

Talk about Naija my friend instead of unnamed countries. EFCC and Customs don't ask u anything if u are coming into the country . So it's ok bring in $10m in cash but it's illegal for BDCs to hold $10k inside the market?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 27, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

He deserves am honorary PhD for a wrong analysis?
ur analysis pls.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 9:49am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

Easy on the rudeness, dude, it is absolutely unneeded. I do own a dom account but use it only to remit money to Nigeria from abroad not the other way round. BTW, is the portion of your statement in bold a new Nigerian policy or has it always been there? If so, do you mind enlightening me on how these cash-totting Nigerian traders beat the 10K cash limit at foreign airports?
Bro seriously are you trying to tel us you never heard on the news or even on here when the Govt put down the policy which made banks not to accept Hard currency into Dom account
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Youngzedd(m): 9:50am On Sep 27, 2015
You can't send more than 1k USD via western union and money gram for 3 months.

You can't buy dollar and deposit into your bank account and send abroad.

If you carry the money to another country, they will say it's money laundering.

Hia! Weti naa?

How do they want importers to cope?

Worst CBN Governor.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by mascott(m): 9:50am On Sep 27, 2015
I have long wanted to create a thread on this subject but thank God its here today.
There is a lot of ignorance on what actually goes on at the international airports and how it affects businesses especially importers.

The law states you have to declare any money above $10000, but strangely any cash declared above $10000 dollars is seized at the point of exit.

This is a direct consequence of the overzealous actions of the newly constituted presidential task force on currency trafficking at the airports.

Now am not talking because I heard from someone but because I've been a victim myself.

I normally source goods from Dubai for resale in Nigeria and have been doing it for over 5 years. For those who are familiar with Dubai travellers, you will note that most of us travel with cash as its cheaper and more convenient that transfers.

The normal routine is when i get to the airport, i declare the amount cos its always more than $10000 after which you are allowed to board.

What people don't realise is that the new CBN policy forbids payment of dollars into domiciliary accounts and also placed embargo on international transfers due to concerns about money launderers.

Now I was supposed to make my latest trip sometime last week but was unaware of this new task force guys.

Upon arrival, I declared the cash on me to the custom guys($54,000). I was then taken to a room upstairs where I was told I couldnt travel cos I have more than the allowed $10000. I asked why and they said it was an administrative change within. To my greatest consternation I was also informed my cash have been seized and that I wouldnt be allowed to make the trip cos I was under arrest and would be taken to the EFCC immediately.

I asked why that was the case since I declared on arrival and I was told the new mandate given to them from Abuja was to impound any cash above $10000 whether declared or not.

In fact we were four in total held for the same offence that day and everyone of us declared our cash on arrival but the cash was impounded and after some little delay we were all bundled to the EFCC office on Awolowo road Ikoyi.

As am speaking to you now my cash hasn't been returned as I was released on bail pending the outcome of their investigation. My business have been effectively suspended for the time being as I await their investigation which from information I gathered takes months to complete. Is this fair?

For those who wld want to accuse me of being a wailer pls go through my previous posts on nairaland to see I campaigned and voted for change but certainly not the type I witnessed or the one happening to me.

I believe businessmen need to speak out on what's happening to us at the airports else we risk losing our source of livelihood due to some draconian govt policies.

N/B
I have intentionally withheld some details in order not to compromise my case at the EFCC.

9 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 9:56am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

Do your research first b4 u comment.. It makes us a better society.

http://www.punchng.com/news/cbn-bans-cash-deposits-into-domiciliary-accounts/
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 27, 2015
Inasmuch as these traders might have just wanted to cut corners, it's still possible they were ignorant of the policy, the CBN & EFCC hunting for dollars everywhere (even though they never remitted the billions recovered in the past) should make it a duty that people understand this things the layman way, instead of raiding airports, we all know the real laundering goes in diplomatic pouches and briefcases. I knew the moment some people heard "igbo", they'd even rather wish the money would be sized and given to them, well, wishes ain't horses & this is not 1970, and knowing fully well that some other sections of the country has people so illiterate and ignorant they can't even use commercial banks, it won't be long before the table gets turned around, unless those wailing about witch-hunt are actually correct and only a particular tribe got the searchlight constantly beamed on them, if not am sure much more dollars would be discovered if some other airports & markets are "raided".

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by bnovative(m): 10:00am On Sep 27, 2015
TroubadourM:
Inasmuch as these traders might have just wanted to cut corners, it's still possible they were ignorant of the policy, the CBN & EFCC hunting for dollars everywhere (even though they never remitted the billions recovered in the past) should make it a duty that people understand this things the layman way, instead of raiding airports, we all know the real laundering goes in diplomatic pouches and briefcases. I knew the moment some people heard "igbo", they'd even rather wish the money would be sized and given to them, well, wishes ain't horses & this is not 1970, and knowing fully well that some other sections of the country has people so illiterate and ignorant they can't even use commercial banks, it won't be long before the table gets turned around, unless those wailing about witch-hunt are actually correct and only a particular tribe got the searchlight constantly beamed on them, if not am sure much more dollars would be discovered if some other airports & markets are "raided".
Go and read the post by masscot. it's just few posts before yours.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cult Groups Clash In Lobia, Bayelsa, Five Dead, Including A Toddler (Graphic) / PrettyMaa: How I Was Raped At Age Of 8 / Man Brutally Butchered In Nasarawa State (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.