Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,773 members, 7,813,564 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders (39963 Views)

Armed Robbers From Onitsha Killed In Ogun By Police (Graphic Photo) / Members Of Robbery Gang From Onitsha Shot Dead In Ogun / Cars, Laptops Recovered As EFCC Arrest Three 'Yahoo' Boys In Lagos. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by AfroKnight: 7:52am On Sep 27, 2015
Money laundering is a crime. Simple. Travel with the stipulated amount and declare if you have excess and with reasons. Don't try to sneak things through the airport. You will be caught. This is not a new policy.

5 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 7:52am On Sep 27, 2015
themilanway:

Shut up or migrate to Kenya

You really do no want to compare Kenya and Nigeria, the former being more developed than the later in nearly all indices. At least they do not have 10 million almajiris out of school. Their universities are better rated globally thsn any in Nigeria
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by badnature: 7:53am On Sep 27, 2015
@petikal are you leaving in Nigeria or equatorial guinea? you can not transfer money out side this country be it naira or foreign currency.if you are not informed about issues you keep quiet.most of you people have never travel out of this country,your not a business man so I don't expect you to understand what is going on in Nigeria.most of you people here of RECESSION on CNN but you don't have any idea what it is,but it coming
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by lordcabasa(m): 7:53am On Sep 27, 2015
As much as we are made to believe carrying above 5000USD is an offence, my worry is why start d and implementation and arrests from the east where d easterners are running the business knowing the highest number of uncertified bureau d change operators are northerners in states like rivers and Abuja, why start from onitsha? "ONE NIGERIA INDEED"

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 27, 2015
Buhari de dullard, you're plunging this zoo into more and more mess.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by akatekpe(m): 7:57am On Sep 27, 2015
zuchyblink:
those people are self made business men and not Yorubas that steal from the government to become rich(state made business men) Yorubas and hausa-fulanis are the original thieves and fraudulent people in Nigeria.
OBJ,tinubu,abacha,buhari,babangida,gowon and all the famous looters in Nigeria are non-igbos
Atiku, Lamido( former jigawa state Governor), Sarki etc

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by petikal(m): 8:01am On Sep 27, 2015
badnature:
@petikal are you leaving in Nigeria or equatorial guinea? you can not transfer money out side this country be it naira or foreign currency.if you are not informed about issues you keep quiet.most of you people have never travel out of this country,your not a business man so I don't expect you to understand what is going on in Nigeria.most of you people here of RECESSION on CNN but you don't have any idea what it is,but it coming

Talk about being misinformed. Who said you can't transfer money from Nigeria? When? Of course you can! Just do it properly/transparently.

And please, quit the generalization and speak facts, otherwise you won't be taken seriously.

We need to do things the right and civilized way, in a country where illegality has become a norm.

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 8:01am On Sep 27, 2015
Onitsha traders - and others like them- should please modernize their importation systems. It is time to do so. I hope the educated among them, and many are, would not be carrying huge cash about like this.

How about traveling with the max allowable amount, 10K, and wire-transferring the rest money? Or is there no money transfer service in the "giant of Africa"? Even if you elude detection in Nigeria, how about at the foreign destination airport? Most countries have this same policy.

How about if there is a plane accident and you lose all the money?

3 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by StObaino1(m): 8:02am On Sep 27, 2015
sooo unfair to these hardworking igbo boys...
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ossyego: 8:06am On Sep 27, 2015
Obasanjo is country band because of igbos and bubu is not traveling with money because of Igbos do tell how will someone going yo cop with this is pure wickedness u people hate Igbo we are not in government u people are we bez in business still u people wount leave us alone give us Biafra u people said know we go die for una God dey
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Darlduchi: 8:11am On Sep 27, 2015
As someone rightly said, it is all part of the wider plan to stifle the people of the EAST. Has there been any time in History where these traders where arrested and their currencies confiscated for failure to declare their currencies, over USD10000? Why have they suddenly become dumb in Nigeria where the law is interpreted and reversed upside down.

Because it is a Nigeria law does not make it internationally acceptable. Since when has the world reduce the standerd TA from USD10000 to USD5000.

Sadly some so call called Christians and people of the EAST born outside of the EAST has failed to see that if the North will kill thousands of innocent men and women, bomb churches and market places, set up Fulani and boko Haram to kill and destroy, plot Buhari's own assassination which led to the death of over 100 people just to rustle power from the EAST, WHAT ELSE WILL THEY NOT DO??
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 27, 2015
EFCC no see all those ab0kis wey dey change dollars for road.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by tsdarkside(m): 8:12am On Sep 27, 2015
very good...all agencies must enforce the laws...this is the only way nigeria will succeed.....

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Alexander001(m): 8:13am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:
The policy doesn’t need to be reversed.

Everywhere in the world, for such bulk transactions, a bank needs to be involved.

It helps with currency tracking, reduces the possibility of such funds being used for illicit trading / terrorism. It also helps as a control against money laundering and other offences.

I believe the money should be returned to the owners once their authenticity is verified. They should also be mentored on how future transactions are to be undertaken.

The EFCC / CBN should also make it a point of duty to go on road trips to educate traders on transactions are expected to be carried out.

Commercial banks who need such funds by the way should see this as an avenue for marketing their various products.
banks can't transfer certain amount of money to china now. so, it's becoming somehow difficult for them to import.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by tsdarkside(m): 8:14am On Sep 27, 2015
kettykin:
There is tension in Onitsha Main Market, Anambra state as operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) stormed the market after arresting seven traders at the Enugu Interna­tional Airport for alleged money laundering

Sunday Sun gathered that the development sparked fears es­pecially among importers and operators of Bureau de Change in the market.
A source said the arrested trad­ers who were traveling either to China or Dubai were carrying with them dollars more than the stipulated approved amount for those traveling outside Nigeria, adding that some had $100,000, while others were in possession of $60,000. The officially al­lowed maximum travel allow­ance is $5000.

The source said that upon in­terrogation, the traders were said to have mentioned where they purchased the foreign currency in the market, hence the visit of the EFCC operatives to the Main Market to arrest the dealers.

It was also gathered that few weeks ago, it was gathered that the EFCC operatives at Akanu Ibiam International Airport, ar­rested some traders for allegedly being in illegal possession of for­eign currency above the stipu­lated amount.

Chairman of the Onitsha Main Market Traders Union (OMMA­TU), Chief Innocent Agudiegwu who confirmed the incident, said that the traders were arrested at the airport and brought to the market where it was ascertained that they were genuine traders and not money launderers.

He said seven traders were involved from different markets in Onitsha who were also con­firmed to be shop owners and genuine importers, traveling to buy goods.

Agudiegwu noted that they were not detained but their dol­lars and international passports were seized. He called on the EFCC to hasten the investigation and release the money and the passports to their owners.

confiscated 23 empty barges reportedly used for illegal oil deals.

According to the command­er of OPS, Major-General Al­ani Okunola, the products and the barges were seized during an anti-illegal oil bunkering operation at Tamunotonye Ama village in Ogu Bolo Lo­cal Government Area, Rivers State.

nooo....give them only $5000 back...the rest efcc can keep as change......
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by rusher14: 8:15am On Sep 27, 2015
Alexander001:
banks can't transfer certain amount of money to china now. so, it's becoming somehow difficult for them to import.

China needs the money.

We need their product.

There are scarce means and alternate uses.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by rusher14: 8:17am On Sep 27, 2015
Darlduchi:
As someone rightly said, it is all part of the wider plan to stifle the people of the EAST. Has there been any time in History where these traders where arrested and their currencies confiscated for failure to declare their currencies, over USD10000? Why have they suddenly become dumb in Nigeria where the law is interpreted and reversed upside down.

Because it is a Nigeria law does not make it internationally acceptable. Since when has the world reduce the standerd TA from USD10000 to USD5000.

Sadly some so call called Christians and people of the EAST born outside of the EAST has failed to see that if the North will kill thousands of innocent men and women, bomb churches and market places, set up Fulani and boko Haram to kill and destroy, plot Buhari's own assassination which led to the death of over 100 people just to rustle power from the EAST, WHAT ELSE WILL THEY NOT DO??

There are various banks some owned by easterners.

I don't understand why going through the right channel becomes a problem.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Alexander001(m): 8:21am On Sep 27, 2015
cooljude:
Most Traders travel with raw cash to foreign countries like China because it reduces cost, it makes trade faster for them and some other reasons. Their money should be returned to them immediately. They should explain the new policies better to them and make sure this policy is better than the way they operated under the last administeration. I know that traders where very comfortable doing business under Jonathan and i am saying this as someone who had stayed some months in main market and has a relative that import wears from China.
my brother told me before the election that if buhari should win the presidential election, traders will suffer.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by wiseoneking: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2015
HungerBAD:
Universally, anything up to $10.000, even if the post erroneously said it's $5000, not reported to the Customs at the Airport is an offense.

This is not a tribal thing.

Those Trying To Make this a witch hunt thing, are full of mischief.

All the traders needed to do was declare their MONEY.

Trying to sneak a large amount of money out of the country, knowingly or not, is an offense.

They broke the law, and there are consequences for that. And remember, ignorance is not an excuse before the law, incase they claim they did not know they were breaking the law.
How much did you Buhari and co be travelling with in all his almost a dozen trips with scores of corrupt politicians in the person of obj, amechi, fashola, fayemi and co. Hypocrisy?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by cocoduck: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2015
themilanway:

I don't have time nor the patience for kids like you this morning.

Run along.
I have travelled around Africa enough to tell you that you are living in utopia

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 27, 2015
kettykin:
So it is now a crime for traders to travel with foreign currency, while it is allowed for politicians or is this now another attempt by an inept administration to kill the economy of the east

It is a crime everywhere in d world to carry large amount of foreign currency. You must use d bank. Pay through the bank. Or you declare it to customs at the airport.

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by badnature: 8:24am On Sep 27, 2015
@petikal so if I understand you well,knowing how to do transfer is now a big deal? I have been transferring money to shanshuipo in Hong Kong since 2012 until this regime now came along with his sentimental policy.last month I travel to Hong Kong through kano because I realized the are not collecting money from northern airport as I was told and I try it out it turned out to be truth.business people and local politicians houlling money,there are some politician that even give money to some people to go and put it in their account in Dubai and come back,no body arrested them at airport,so what did you call that? I have to leave lagos to kano can you explain the rational behind that type of policy? or are you trying to tell me that there is a method of transfer peculiar to you alone that DIAMOND BANK,GTB,&SKY BANK are not aware of?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by dammytosh: 8:24am On Sep 27, 2015
lincolnj88:
igbo would be the target of this admin

So this administration made the anti money laundering law that is enforced all over the world?

Your cluelessness knows no bound.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nellybii: 8:27am On Sep 27, 2015
zuchyblink:
those people are self made business men and not Yorubas that steal from the government to become rich(state made business men) Yorubas and hausa-fulanis are the original thieves and fraudulent people in Nigeria.
OBJ,tinubu,abacha,buhari,babangida,gowon and all the famous looters in Nigeria are non-igbos

Ojukwu looted too
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Eeser: 8:27am On Sep 27, 2015
Ossyego:
Obasanjo is country band because of igbos and bubu is not traveling with money because of Igbos do tell how will someone going yo cop with this is pure wickedness u people hate Igbo we are not in government u people are we bez in business still u people wount leave us alone give us Biafra u people said know we go die for una God dey
Na wao.
Can someone please explain what he just said?

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by obstead200(m): 8:28am On Sep 27, 2015
HungerBAD:
Universally, anything up to $10.000, even if the post erroneously said it's $5000, not reported to the Customs at the Airport is an offense.

This is not a tribal thing.

Those Trying To Make this a witch hunt thing, are full of mischief.

All the traders needed to do was declare their MONEY.

Trying to sneak a large amount of money out of the country, knowingly or not, is an offense.

They broke the law, and there are consequences for that. And remember, ignorance is not an excuse before the law, incase they claim they did not know they were breaking the law.
were they at the airport? Have they reached the airport and failed to declare there money?
This is just stupidity and incompetence on the part of EFCC. They are just using an excuse to extort simple business men.
But then, when will my igbo brothers learn? There are a lot of legit ways to send money out of the country for purchase of goods. Why must it be in cash?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by badnature: 8:30am On Sep 27, 2015
and why is it that the so called EFCC close their eyes to hausa people selling dollars on the road? the will sell money to you and then go and wait for you at the airport to collect it back from you why?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by CSTR2: 8:30am On Sep 27, 2015
Airlines crying, critical importers groaning.
Trying to rid a fly on the scrotum with a hammer.
This is why not everybody should be president.
In four years time, we will gauge the effect of buhari's govt on the economy.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by petikal(m): 8:32am On Sep 27, 2015
My people, please stop this conspiracy BS! This is NOT a plot against Igbos, and I'm one. This is policy enforcement.

I can bet these traders know fully well they can do all their transactions at the bank with the official rate and within the permissible limit, but they choose to do things illegally as some (or many) Nigerians often do.

Things have become so bad in this country that any little law enforcement takes us by surprise, and we find excuse to cry for breaking the law. We cry foul against our leaders, when we can't even quietly do our little part! How many of us boldly confront security personnel at the airport that ask for pocket money? Or the police? At best, we smile/joke and walk by.

In civilized countries, you can make transactions through the bank worth millions of dollars, and yes they have daily/weekly limits too for anti-money laundering. Nigeria tries to do the same, and we cry foul. Pathetic!

Wake up, and play your little part in making this country great! Stop pointing at politicians who break the law. DO YOUR PART!

5 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by copiescopy(m): 8:34am On Sep 27, 2015
different laws for different zones. i bet this cant happen at the airport in kano. where millions of $$ are been moved to dubai on daily basis without scrutiny.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 27, 2015
obstead200:
were they at the airport? Have they reached the airport and failed to declare there money?
This is just stupidity and incompetence on the part of EFCC. They are just using an excuse to extort simple business men.
But then, when will my igbo brothers learn? There are a lot of legit ways to send money out of the country for purchase of goods. Why must it be in cash?

Read d story again. The seven traders were arrested at Enugu International Airport.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 27, 2015
Just 60,000 dollars and 100,000.. . Yet politicians have been smuggling millions all these years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bricklayer Kills Lover For Rituals In Ogun State(Photos / Woman Breaks Young Maid's Head With Cutlass In Imo State. Graphic Photos / 15 People Killed In Mgbuosimini, Port-Harcourt Rivers State (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.