Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders (39962 Views)

Armed Robbers From Onitsha Killed In Ogun By Police (Graphic Photo) / Members Of Robbery Gang From Onitsha Shot Dead In Ogun / Cars, Laptops Recovered As EFCC Arrest Three 'Yahoo' Boys In Lagos. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 10:03am On Sep 27, 2015
erico2k2:

Bro seriously are you trying to tel us you never heard on the news or even on here when the Govt put down the policy which made banks not to accept Hard currency into Dom account

There are so many news flying around me. Not easy to keep track of those not affecting me directly. Fyi, I sent $s recently into my dorm account from Wells Fargo Bank w/out any issues. So it does seem like the policy does not affect remittances from abroad.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by backtosender: 10:03am On Sep 27, 2015
[b]Good day, Great Biafrans and lovers of freedom.
I want to ask this questions, and I need answers because am also a student. Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba's said that we the (Biafran ) are not educated that we were known as traders and did all type of business and hand works.... But little did they know that (Biafrans) highest marks to get admission into the high institution (UNIVERSITY) is 170% marks, while (ODUDWA) Yoruba's are 140% marks! (ARIWA) Hausa/Fulani are 2% highest scores!! Well, that is by the way for now!
According to our handsome brother that call on 26-September 2015 during our live broadcast in Kuwait by our eminent host Mazi Nnamdi kanu. He asks a question that the world needs to answer. So I decide to bring it to this platform because I want to learn from your responses.
HE ASKED!
What is the meaning of AMALGAMATION?
WERE WE AMALGAMATED BEFORE FREDRICK LUGARD CAME TO AFRICA?
IS IT A CRIME TO GO BACK FROM WHERE WE WERE BEFORE THE AMALGAMATION TOOK PLACE?
In addition to that questions, I add mine, which is.
Why do you think that We Should Remain In One Nigeria? Give me seven good reasons.Since Nigeria Was Amalgamated, can you tell me what you are proud of as a Nigerian ?.
Give me ten reasons ...
AS A NIGERIAN WHAT HAVE YOUR COUNTRY REPRESENT TO THE WORLD .. IF NOT LOOTING, CRIMINALITY, FRAUDSTERS, DRUG DEALERS, CHEAT AND LIARS' ETC...WHY IS THAT. AS SOON AS YOU IDENTIFY YOURSELVES AS A NIGERIA IN ANY IMMIGRATION YOU WILL BE DISGRACED?
Well, I don't want to go that deepest part, because I have many questions to ask. But with this few points if you can convince me of fact and figures I will accept to be called Nigerian... But if not I will Continue in this movement until Biafra is restored!
REMEMBER RADIO BIAFRA IS A COLLEGE WHERE ALL OF US ARE TEACHERS AND ALSO STUDENTS AT THE SAME TIME. AND IS ALSO THE HIGHEST HOSPITAL ACROSS THE GLOBE. If you are sick, you will come and take your treatments from Radio Biafra. It cures all manner of sicknesses such as stupidity, ignorant, foolishness, nepotism, negligence, and ill ability thinking viruses!
Our doctor is nobody else but MAZI NNAMDI KANU.
Please, before you attack me try to answer my questions so that I will learn from you.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 27, 2015
mascott:
I have long wanted to create a thread on this subject but thank God its here today.
There is a lot of ignorance on what actually goes on at the international airports and how it affects businesses especially importers.

The law states you have to declare any money above $10000, but strangely any cash declared above $10000 dollars is seized at the point of exit.

This is a direct consequence of the overzealous actions of the newly constituted presidential task force on currency trafficking at the airports.

Now am not talking because I heard from someone but because I've been a victim myself.

I normally source goods from Dubai for resale in Nigeria and have been doing it for over 5 years. For those who are familiar with Dubai travellers, you will note that most of us travel with cash as its cheaper and more convenient that transfers.

The normal routine is when i get to the airport, i declare the amount cos its always more than $10000 after which you are allowed to board.

What people don't realise is that the new CBN policy forbids payment of dollars into domiciliary accounts and also placed embargo on international transfers due to concerns about money launderers.

Now I was supposed to make my latest trip sometime last week but was unaware of this new task force guys.

Upon arrival, I declared the cash on me to the custom guys($54,000). I was then taken to a room upstairs where I was told I couldnt travel cos I have more than the allowed $10000. I asked why and they said it was an administrative change within. To my greatest consternation I was also informed my cash have been seized and that I wouldnt be allowed to make the trip cos I was under arrest and would be taken to the EFCC immediately.

I asked why that was the case since I declared on arrival and I was told the new mandate given to them from Abuja was to impound any cash above $10000 whether declared or not.

In fact we were four in total held for the same offence that day and everyone of us declared our cash on arrival but the cash was impounded and after some little delay we were all bundled to the EFCC office on Awolowo road Ikoyi.

As am speaking to you now my cash hasn't been returned as I was released on bail pending the outcome of their investigation. My business have been effectively suspended for the time being as I await their investigation which from information I gathered takes months to complete. Is this fair?

For those who wld want to accuse me of being a wailer pls go through my previous posts on nairaland to see I campaigned and voted for change but certainly not the type I witnessed or the one happening to me.

I believe businessmen need to speak out on what's happening to us at the airports else we risk losing our source of livelihood due to some draconian govt policies.

N/B
I have intentionally withheld some details in order not to compromise my case at the EFCC.

Most lazy government dependants won't understand your plight, holding a businessman's cash to ransom for up to a month, would you blame them? am not a financial expert, but is this another austerity measure? Cause all such policies in the past did more harm than good to the economy, sadly some people never learn.

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 10:09am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

Do your research first b4 u comment.. It makes us a better society.

http://www.punchng.com/news/cbn-bans-cash-deposits-into-domiciliary-accounts/
Thanks, but you answered only a part of my question. Still does not negate the fact that carrying 100K in cash to a foreign land may be an issue. Would they not be declaring it in their destination? I am a frequent international traveler ( not a trader, and I use credit cards for all travels) and that question is recurrent in Customs declaration forms on entry into most countries.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by otiigba1(m): 10:11am On Sep 27, 2015
mascott:
I have long wanted to create a thread on this subject but thank God its here today.
There is a lot of ignorance on what actually goes on at the international airports and how it affects businesses especially importers.

The law states you have to declare any money above $10000, but strangely any cash declared above $10000 dollars is seized at the point of exit.

This is a direct consequence of the overzealous actions of the newly constituted presidential task force on currency trafficking at the airports.

Now am not talking because I heard from someone but because I've been a victim myself.

I normally source goods from Dubai for resale in Nigeria and have been doing it for over 5 years. For those who are familiar with Dubai travellers, you will note that most of us travel with cash as its cheaper and more convenient that transfers.

The normal routine is when i get to the airport, i declare the amount cos its always more than $10000 after which you are allowed to board.

What people don't realise is that the new CBN policy forbids payment of dollars into domiciliary accounts and also placed embargo on international transfers due to concerns about money launderers.

Now I was supposed to make my latest trip sometime last week but was unaware of this new task force guys.

Upon arrival, I declared the cash on me to the custom guys($54,000). I was then taken to a room upstairs where I was told I couldnt travel cos I have more than the allowed $10000. I asked why and they said it was an administrative change within. To my greatest consternation I was also informed my cash have been seized and that I wouldnt be allowed to make the trip cos I was under arrest and would be taken to the EFCC immediately.

I asked why that was the case since I declared on arrival and I was told the new mandate given to them from Abuja was to impound any cash above $10000 whether declared or not.

In fact we were four in total held for the same offence that day and everyone of us declared our cash on arrival but the cash was impounded and after some little delay we were all bundled to the EFCC office on Awolowo road Ikoyi.

As am speaking to you now my cash hasn't been returned as I was released on bail pending the outcome of their investigation. My business have been effectively suspended for the time being as I await their investigation which from information I gathered takes months to complete. Is this fair?

For those who wld want to accuse me of being a wailer pls go through my previous posts on nairaland to see I campaigned and voted for change but certainly not the type I witnessed or the one happening to me.

I believe businessmen need to speak out on what's happening to us at the airports else we risk losing our source of livelihood due to some draconian govt policies.

N/B
I have intentionally withheld some details in order not to compromise my case at the EFCC.
very unfair indeed, do every thing legal within your power to get your money back. And don't leave it too long.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 10:11am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

There are so many news flying around me. Not easy to keep track of those not affecting me directly. Fyi, I sent $s recently into my dorm account from Wells Fargo Bank w/out any issues. So it does seem like the policy does not affect remittances from abroad.
Naija doesn't care how much that is coming in but it cares when Naija citizens now carry those funds around in Naija not at the airports... We love to invent idiocy!!
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 10:15am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

Thanks, but you answered only a part of my question. Still does not negate the fact that carrying 100K in cash to a foreign land may be an issue. Would they not be declaring it in their destination? I am a frequent international traveler ( not a trader, and I use credit cards for all travels) and that question is recurrent in Customs declaration forms on entry into most countries.
The point is, that govt agencies raided BDCs inside a market in search of dollar.. It's not illegal to carry foreign currencies arround, but it's illegal not to declare anything from $5k if u are traveling outside the country.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2015
bnovative:

Go and read the post by masscot. it's just few posts before yours.

I read his post, since he couldn't pay those dollars into the bank, and shouldn't carry them with him (declared or not), how was he supposed to swiftly carry on his business. Nobody told us how much dollars went to mecca earlier this month, dem dey craze to raid holy airports & search em holy planes??
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

Naija doesn't care how much that is coming in
but it cares when Naija citizens now carry those funds around in Naija not at the airports... We love to invent idiocy!!

On the bolded: Even with cash? Interesting to know, but still wont make the mistake of carrying large cash amounts. You cannot trust the custom/efcc not to attempt to intimidate you. I'd rather pay all the bank fees and have my money safe.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by bnovative(m): 10:20am On Sep 27, 2015
TroubadourM:

I read his post, since he couldn't pay those dollars into the bank, and shouldn't carry them with him (declared or not), how was he supposed to swiftly carry on his business. Nobody told us how much dollars went to mecca earlier this month, dem dey craze to raid holy airports & search em holy planes??
Exactly my point.
I posted earlier that the culpability of the traders was not the
point that caught my attention, but going
to the market to arrest the dealers.
Except you will feign ignorance, majority
of operators of bureau de change outside
existing monetary regulations are
northerners. why pick on onitsha?
couldn't it have been enough to
confiscate the money and prosecute the
traders than go to harrass the dealers? i
have been directed several times by
bankers in the bank to this black market
dealers; it's no secret. If efcc want to do a
sincere job, why not go to these known
black market spots, from the north to the
south?

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by logica(m): 10:21am On Sep 27, 2015
funkiebully:
[s][/s]

Red oil gulping bastard. What do u know about business? Useless fetish ritualistic raping coward.

Clear from road let reasonable ppl discuss serious matter.

Anumpama!
It just so happens that the person you address is from the North. undecided
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 27, 2015
otiigba1:
very unfair indeed, do every thing legal within your power to get your money back. And don't leave it too long.

Same EFCC currently undergoing scrutiny for non-remittance of billions recovered in the past o.

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ilaje44(m): 10:21am On Sep 27, 2015
HungerBAD:
Universally, anything up to $10.000, even if the post erroneously said it's $5000, not reported to the Customs at the Airport is an offense.

This is not a tribal thing.

Those Trying To Make this a witch hunt thing, are full of mischief.

All the traders needed to do was declare their MONEY.

Trying to sneak a large amount of money out of the country, knowingly or not, is an offense.

They broke the law, and there are consequences for that. And remember, ignorance is not an excuse before the law, incase they claim they did not know they were breaking the law.

Even you, youalso committed the same error as the writer of the article. Universally speaking, it is not anything up to, but every amount FROM and ABOVE $10000. However, I can not vouch that it's also hold for Nigeria. The law in Nigeria is mostly always upside down. And things are done in Nigeria at short notice, without giving people time to adjust, just like Jonathan woke and changed Unilag to Maulag or when he increased pump price of petrol in the day it was least expected and unanouced on the 1st of January.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 10:22am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

On the bolded: Even with cash? Interesting to know, but still wont make the mistake of carrying large cash amounts. You cannot trust the custom/efcc not to attempt to intimidate you. I'd rather pay all the bank fees and have my money safe.
Good luck with that. Banks don't accept $£€ deposit domestically, u have to carry it across Sambisa forest to deposit it in Cameroun and then wire it to ur Naija account. Or u can keep the money in ur house where kidnappers and armed robbers will come and make it rain in ur life. No advanced noticed was offered by CBN and EFCC before the started this policy. Good luck beating Boko Haram and Customs!!
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 10:23am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

The point is, that govt agencies raided BDCs inside a market in search of dollar.. It's not illegal to carry foreign currencies arround, but it's illegal not to declare anything from $5k if u are traveling outside the country.

The other question was from the traders perspective. Do they risk their undeclared or partially declared money being seized in the destination or would they then truthfully declare the full amount? If they would do the later, why not begin from Nigeria? After all, it is okay to have more than 10K, as long as you declare everything, yes?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Ramnon2: 10:25am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

Good luck with that. Banks don't accept $£€ deposit domestically, u have to carry it across Sambisa forest to deposit it in Cameroun and then wire it to ur Naija account. Good luk beating Boko Haram and Customs!!

Speaking of bringing in, not taking out money.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 27, 2015
rusher14:

You do realise these guys were caught at the airport.

You are not talking about the pertinent things, did you read the post from the guy whose cash was seized even upon declaration?

1 Like

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by correctyourself(m): 10:32am On Sep 27, 2015
gonaeme:
Some ppl comments without knowing the reason traders are travelling with cash.one of the policies Buhari introduced was to stop banks from accept dollars while his intention was to fight money laundering through banks,the same policy is affecting the importation,smthing has to be done,importers has to be given preference if not the policy will have a toll on the economy very soon.

I seconded! Its always painful/stressful when somebody with limited knowledge is leading and given directives on a particular matter, and I have some feelings that those that would work with this administration may not give their best for fear of losing their job (when there is no opportunity to say the truth and still have job security) what we are seeing today is pure dictatorship but because of politics and the capitalization on fighting corruption people are not seeing it this way. A man that want to save money for the family, must he decide his wife should not make her hair and the children must not wear shoes to school? Well, Nigerias got what they wanted, I think Alhaji Atiku would have done things in a more better ways because there is always more than one solution to a problem.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 10:33am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

The other question was from the traders perspective. Do they risk their undeclared or partially declared money being seized in the destination or would they then truthfully declare the full amount? If they would do the later, why not begin from Nigeria? After all, it is okay to have more than 10K, as long as you declare everything, yes?
Point is, u can't travel with more than $5k if declared. You risk seizure if u carry more that $5k and still declare.
Put things in perspective, so u want to bring in goods wortj of $50k into Naija, it's going to take u 10 trips abroad.. Oh btw, CBN only allows u to obtain $4k PTA every 3month. So it's going to take u 3 yrs to pay for ur goods

2 Likes

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 10:35am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

Speaking of bringing in, not taking out money.
U can't deposit any foreign currencies into any Naija account in Naija
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by latitidejavu: 10:36am On Sep 27, 2015
This is very touching. The four of you should team up and Sue EFCC and claim millions in damages to business and reputation. If you are right you will be cleared.
mascott:

N/B
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 27, 2015
bnovative:

Exactly my point.
I posted earlier that the culpability of the traders was not the
point that caught my attention, but going
to the market to arrest the dealers.
Except you will feign ignorance, majority
of operators of bureau de change outside
existing monetary regulations are
northerners. why pick on onitsha?
couldn't it have been enough to
confiscate the money and prosecute the
traders than go to harrass the dealers? i
have been directed several times by
bankers in the bank to this black market
dealers; it's no secret. If efcc want to do a
sincere job, why not go to these known
black market spots, from the north to the
south?

It's kinda very funny, the "presidential task force" thingy got my attention, the government out of their own ineptitude got the economy crashing around them and now innocent citizens bleeding out to survive against the odds now have to bear brunt.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by philips70(m): 10:38am On Sep 27, 2015
Truckpusher:
Could you please highlight on this window of opportunity that genuine business men can employ with a verifiable fact attached?

Thanks.

Please read the two attachments carefully.

Thanks

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by basilo101: 10:38am On Sep 27, 2015
Wow happy 2 kw dat enugu international flight is well patronised despite wat haters said initially. And d foo.ls are still asking wat GEj did for igbos?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 27, 2015
Darlduchi:
As someone rightly said, it is all part of the wider plan to stifle the people of the EAST. Has there been any time in History where these traders where arrested and their currencies confiscated for failure to declare their currencies, over USD10000? Why have they suddenly become dumb in Nigeria where the law is interpreted and reversed upside down.

Because it is a Nigeria law does not make it internationally acceptable. Since when has the world reduce the standerd TA from USD10000 to USD5000.

Sadly some so call called Christians and people of the EAST born outside of the EAST has failed to see that if the North will kill thousands of innocent men and women, bomb churches and market places, set up Fulani and boko Haram to kill and destroy, plot Buhari's own assassination which led to the death of over 100 people just to rustle power from the EAST, WHAT ELSE WILL THEY NOT DO??
no matter what evil plans that they have installed for us, it shall backfire on them
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by petikal(m): 10:41am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

Put things in perspective, so u want to bring in goods wortj of $50k into Naija, it's going to take u 10 trips abroad...

Why make any trip just to pay for goods? Note, I said just to pay, not other reasons.

Again I ask, why can't you pay your seller through wire transfer? Naira to whatever currency?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by adconline(m): 10:47am On Sep 27, 2015
petikal:

Why make any trip just to pay for goods? Note, I said just to pay, not other reasons.

Again I ask, why can't you pay your seller through wire transfer? Naira to whatever currency?
Pls how can u pay with bank transfer when your dom account is not funded because your bank doesn't accept $€¥ in ur dom account?
Your bank-issued debit card transaction daily limit is $300 equivvalent...it's going to take u 166 days-5-1/2 months to pay off ur invoice
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by petikal(m): 10:52am On Sep 27, 2015
adconline:

Pls how can u pay with bank transfer when your dom account if not funded because your bank doesn't accept $€¥ in ur dom account?
Your bank-issued debit card transaction daily limit is $300 equivvalent...it's going to take u 166 days-5-1/2 months to pay off ur invoice

What's stopping you from legally converting that $50K to Naira and conducting your wire transfer? You can still do that, can't you?
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 10:57am On Sep 27, 2015
Ramnon2:

it seems you are not in Nigeria,You cant pay Dollars to the banks.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by erico2k2(m): 10:58am On Sep 27, 2015
petikal:

What's stopping you from legally converting that $50K to Naira and conducting your wire transfer? You can still do that, can't you?
apparently not u forgot form M.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by petikal(m): 11:04am On Sep 27, 2015
erico2k2:

apparently not u forgot form M.

That's not true. You can wire transfer from any Naira account to any country. That's one of the reasons for the policy: to encourage using our Naira for transactions, and limit the high volume of Dollar circulation in the nation. We're in Nigeria, use Naira.
Re: Tension as EFCC Seizes Dollars From Onitsha Traders by Truckpusher(m): 11:06am On Sep 27, 2015
philips70:

Please read the two attachments carefully.

Thanks

Thanks man just went through it.

In as much as I have noticed that it was a fine well designed document to curb dollarization of the economy, at the same time put a stranglehold on corruption and money laundry I still have my reservations and my reservations are purely political and once I'm done with my research about that issue I will comment on this topic again and tell you how and what I feel about this whole thing.

Buhari has a track record of making sugar coated policies that would on the long run impoverish the South and I won't be surprised if any of his anti-corruption slogan isn't another avenue to perpetrate evil and get back at his perceived enemies because last I time I checked Abokkis are still exchanging dollars in the black market with no Efcc and nobody restraining them.

I hope you understood my concern?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bricklayer Kills Lover For Rituals In Ogun State(Photos / Woman Breaks Young Maid's Head With Cutlass In Imo State. Graphic Photos / 15 People Killed In Mgbuosimini, Port-Harcourt Rivers State (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.