Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos (21521 Views)

My Story As A Physically Challenged Entrepreneur. / Underemployed For 3years Now But Still Hoping For A Better Days Ahead / Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by menix(m): 11:18am On Sep 29, 2015
Adesiji77:
Hmmm

Baba, so u sef like this 'Hmmm'..
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by emmanuel596(m): 11:19am On Sep 29, 2015
Where is the story? sad
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by SirLegal(m): 11:19am On Sep 29, 2015
Kip the hustle alive bro.

#Neva_giveup

1 Like

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by 69MissedCalls(m): 11:19am On Sep 29, 2015
all those fools on the first page. what are u booking space for?
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by youngvizzy1(m): 11:20am On Sep 29, 2015
Mumu story
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 29, 2015
You have employment with Chevron for start up pay of 850k monthly net, will you still wait and learn from your wicked boss?

Are you going to accept this offer?
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by emmanuel596(m): 11:22am On Sep 29, 2015
When stuffs like this hit fp I wonder the massage it is really wanting to pass across cry
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 29, 2015
Sylver247:
I read a story from this section that made front page about a guy (abi na girl) that said his aunt is begging him to take a job with Jevinik with 80k salary and free acomodation. he said hes bin jobless for a year and needs advice whether 2 take up d job or not!
That thread realy anoyed a lot of people including myself. Ok a little story abt myself.

Am a graduate with 2:1 and guess what my salary is? 45k! and i spend 7k on tfair every month with a very wicked boss who sees himself as God. I got dat job after a year just like dat op but unlike him, i hustled hard for dat job which i saw here on nl, had to even borow money for tfair.

but dat my boss is the reason am still on dat job cos hes preparing me for sth bigger, i wont run away like others. there are a lot of things i ve learnt and am still learning dat will come very handy very soon.

Nice1 I admire your stand on this ish
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by pawesome(m): 11:25am On Sep 29, 2015
Buh criously,dt guy vex me yday...He is 'tinkin' n needs 'advice'....i no sure dt boy go school...bout finishin service dis november n i dn already de hustle ani kind job wey i fit do na him person de wn cum insult is sey 'he needs advice on an 80k job'....dts a slap
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by anonimi: 11:27am On Sep 29, 2015
Sylver247:
Am a graduate with 2:1 and guess what my salary is? 45k! and i spend 7k on tfair every month with a very wicked boss who sees himself as God. I got dat job after a year just like dat op but unlike him, i hustled hard for dat job which i saw here on nl, had to even borow money for tfair.

but dat my boss is the reason am still on dat job cos hes preparing me for sth bigger, i wont run away like others. there are a lot of things i ve learnt and am still learning dat will come very handy very soon.

Can you please reconcile the two highlighted parts- rather confusing as is.
Thanks.
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by AmakaDNBStories(f): 11:27am On Sep 29, 2015
You don't call your boss wicked. Use difficult instead.
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by raayah(f): 11:27am On Sep 29, 2015
Sylver247:
I read a story from this section that made front page about a guy (abi na girl) that said his aunt is begging him to take a job with Jevinik with 80k salary and free acomodation. he said hes bin jobless for a year and needs advice whether 2 take up d job or not!
That thread realy anoyed a lot of people including myself. Ok a little story abt myself.

To be honest, although desperation is a thing, I understand why he might not want to go for the restaurant job.
It does not add to his experience that much depending on his career path.
Sometimes, its not always about money
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Adesiji77: 11:28am On Sep 29, 2015
menix:

Baba, so u sef like this 'Hmmm'..

cheesy

The post has been modified
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by madridguy(m): 11:31am On Sep 29, 2015
Over a million for rent every year....... God don smile to you bro.

drnairalov:
cool story

but 45 k
geez that is small

when my rent is 1 million plus a year

transport 23000 naira a month

whaat wud 45k den do 4 me...u my bro is underpaid

economy is getting high bro
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by TOBESKI15(m): 11:34am On Sep 29, 2015
GOOD
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by AmeerahFKI(f): 11:34am On Sep 29, 2015
Joy83:
Your own better, hold it tight...
The situation in Nigeria is so worse that many graduates are even begging for teaching job where they don't pay more than 20k just to survive.

May God bless our future and present!

yes oo, him own better.
There is this school that offer graduates 7k, claiming it's a new school. Graduates are suffering in Nigeria. May God come to our rescue.
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by arigold1304(m): 11:34am On Sep 29, 2015
drnairalov:
cool story
but 45 k geez that is small
gerrrrrrrrrrrout of here
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Justbeingreal(m): 11:37am On Sep 29, 2015
Sir, how much does it cost to build a house again pls, since u paying a mill + for rent
drnairalov:
cool story

but 45 k
geez that is small

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by 2rutalk1: 11:40am On Sep 29, 2015
Sylver247:

The way you are complaining about little pay and high cost of transportation is the same way your boss is striving to cope with harsh business environment. I worked for people before going into business and now I understand what it takes to run a business in Nigeria. Sometimes you wake up and start thinking of going to work for someone else and collect salary at the end of the month. Remember how desperate you were before he considered you as his employee. Please my dear, running business in Nigeria is so tough except you are "lucky" to be among those who are ripping other people or the economy off in the name of running a business.

1 Like

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by babyfaceafrica: 11:42am On Sep 29, 2015
anonimi:

Can you please reconcile the two highlighted parts- rather confusing as is.
Thanks.
you don't alwys run away from challenges..some challenges prepare you fro something great..his boss is that type of challenge..hope you get it naw?

1 Like

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by F22RAPTOR(m): 11:47am On Sep 29, 2015
Sylver247:

nice one Op, but if your health comes on the line, you know what to do.
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Akosxxx(m): 11:47am On Sep 29, 2015
really underemployed tooto
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by F22RAPTOR(m): 11:57am On Sep 29, 2015
desperation is a very bad thing. Desperate people get abused, no matter how skilled they are, they still get abused, no matter how obedient they are, they still get abused, trampled upon and treated like dirt. Dont stop looking outside for a better place if where you are now is killing you. Find a place where you'll be appreciated. Anticipate the breath of freedom.
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by wildchild1: 12:01pm On Sep 29, 2015
unemployment is bad mehn

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/4
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2015
Adesiji77:
@Sylver247

Your story is touching and I am sure a lot of people who are in similar situations can relate with it.

You shouldn't be surprised that more than a few job seekers would still give "an arm and a leg" to have your job. The situation is that critical.

I have found out that being positive and having a spirit of gratitude can help one to make the most of any situation.

When faced with serious challenges at work and giving up looks like an option, a former boss used to remind us that many people would gladly take up our roles, even at half-pay.

He said this not to spite us but to remind us to appreciate what we have until a better option comes up.

Perhaps, as you suggested, your current employer is unwittingly "toughening" you for your next job, making you a more valuable employee.
abi valuable employer?
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2015
F22RAPTOR:
desperation is a very bad thing. Desperate people get abused, no matter how skilled they are, they still get abused, no matter how obedient they are, they still get abused, trampled upon and treated like dirt. Dont stop looking outside for a better place if where you are now is killing you. Find a place where you'll be appreciated. Anticipate the breath of freedom.

You are right. Desperation and a country full of leaders who prefer to destroy than to empower.
Some bosses know you don't have too many options so they treat employees in a way they can't treat their own dogs.
Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by drnairalov: 12:06pm On Sep 29, 2015
Justbeingreal:
Sir, how much does it cost to build a house again pls, since u paying a mill + for rent

dere re some places more expensive dan lagos and abuja... or nigeria.
if m to build house where i am den God really don smile on me...

1 Like

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by darichlife: 12:22pm On Sep 29, 2015
This is really as hard as it gets. they say the future belongs to those who see opportunity before they become obvious. The best way out of this Nigerian situation is to learn a skill, I have never seen a broke Guy that knows his hand work very well. I for one just finished my ND Program going back to school next year to round up HND. ever since I got my professional certificate in the field of ICT I have never been jobless for once it's either I get a call from here or there, today Lagos, tomorrow Calabar, Delta and the list goes i have met a lot of professionals in my field and kicking it hard, there are no dull moments, to me it is just a hobby and making money sleep when i want and wake when i want would be registering my company by Gods Grace before going back to school finally. brokeness de fear me I wish everyone the best of their wishes. All graduate reading this your door must surely open

1 Like

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Stylz69(m): 12:27pm On Sep 29, 2015
Sylver247:
I read a story from this section that made front page about a guy (abi na girl) that said his aunt is begging him to take a job with Jevinik with 80k salary and free acomodationACCOMMODATION. heHe said heshe has binbeen jobless for a year and needs advice whether 2to take up dthe job or not!
That thread realy anoyedreally annoyed a lot of people including myself. Ok a little story abt myself.

AmI'm a graduate with 2:1 and guess what my salary is? 45k! and i spend 7k on tfairtransportation every month with a very wicked boss who sees himself as God. I got datthat job after a year just like datthat op but unlike him, i hustled hard for datthat job which i saw here on nl, had to even borowborrow money for tfairtransportation.

but dat my boss is the reason ami'm still on datthat job cos hesbecause he's preparing me for sthsomething bigger, i wontwill not run away like others. there are a lot of things i ve learnt and am still learning dat will come very handy very soon.

Rule 21.... I only did this because you stated you were a graduate with 2:1. Let it reflect in your post.

1 Like

Re: My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos by Joy83(m): 12:29pm On Sep 29, 2015
AmeerahFKI:

yes oo, him own better.
There is this school that offer graduates 7k, claiming it's a new school. Graduates are suffering in Nigeria. May God come to our rescue.
Have many friends like that with good 2:1 in reputable university course, but just have to survive with ridiculous pay that can't even feed them comfortably for a month not to talk of other bills.

Where do we go from here!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

That Job Can Cause You Heart Disease / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism / Low, Middle And High Income

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.