Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries (7574 Views)

Igbos Own 70% Of The Industries In Lagos........tanko Yakasi / The Biography Of Godwin Obaseki, The APC Edo State Governorship Flag Bearer / Police Arrest Oshiomole's Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by osemwengie1: 11:49am On Sep 29, 2015
When Comrade Adams Oshiomhole in 2007 as a gubernatorial candidate promised Edo people that if elected, the State should say goodbye to poverty, a lot of our people were overjoyed and voted for him believing that their messiah had come and things will change for the better. Their confidence in him was not because they were gullible but because of his former track record as a union leader and so they assumed that everything he promised would be strictly implemented. Seven years after, a lot of things have happened but poverty has not gone from Edo State but rather has become worse.

I sincerely believe the Comrade Governor came with plenty of passion and perhaps good intentions but government and governance requires far more than that. Before Chief Obafemi Awolowo announced free education as a cardinal programme of his party, he had commissioned a team of educational and economic experts to brainstorm on the needs, cost and feasibility of the programme on a sustainable basis. The governor started well by establishing an economic team but what have they done by way of recommendations and achievements? We need to know so that we can truly assess their performance. In the interim, they appear to be only concerned with increased taxes to the detriment of increased businesses. Are they aware of how many businesses we have in the State and how well they are doing? Have they initiated or encouraged the governor to invite business owners to an economic summit to discuss Ways and Means to improve the business environment of the State? We live in a very competitive environment and government must lobby or woo investors to establish in their State. This is a serious and technical assignment that must be performance driven with definite time lines. The newly elected governor of Lagos State has already established an overseas investment desk to coordinate Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) which has led to top executives of multi-national corporations like Walmart visiting the government of Lagos on investment talks. Poverty will not go if there are no industries that will stimulate economic growth and create jobs. Token and cosmetic efforts like the Youth Empowerment Scheme (YES) which has crashed is not the answer to poverty eradication or alleviation but a well coordinated and articulated economic programme founded on Public Private Partnership with government creating the enabling environment.

There are no government industries or business concern thriving today in the State. The celebrated announcement by the comrade governor at the beginning of his second term that the Dangote Group were establishing a huge fertilizer factory at Agenebode that will employ at least 10,000 workers is now a mirage and has gone with the wind. Equally painful to Edo people is the foundational laying ceremony of Shoprite mall at Sapele road by Dumez road junction in Benin City which was done with fanfare by the governor and has since been abandoned. Not to mention the proposed ultra modern business complex that was supposed to overlook the ringroad where the historic Agidigbi house used to be but appears now to just be a dream. Bendel Brewery, that cash cow established by Prof. Ambrose Ali which was sold under very dubious circumstances to Church gate group and which was forcefully retrieved by Chief Lucky Igbinedion for the State has been abandoned in spite of its economic potentials. Ditto Edo Line, Edo Courier Service, Observer newspaper, Ethiope publishing, Bendel insurance etc. Okpilla cement factory which was revived through a privatization programme which the comrade governor commendably continued and finalised is not operational owing to issues arising on the ownership rights of the limestone at Okpilla and strangely the State government has remained non committal to this lingering problem.

Government must not only show interest but get involved in the problems affecting businesses in the State. When New Nigeria bank was to be sold off many years ago, the governments of Edo and Delta State collectively intervened and were able to broker a deal with NDIC that saw the survival of the bank until it merged with other banks to become what it is now known as Unity bank. As at today, the Edo State government is seen as hostile, unapproachable and indifferent to economic initiatives. Under such atmosphere or perception, it will be difficult to attract those capable of industrializing the state. To attract investors and industries you must have an economic policy backed by legislation.

Do we have an investors guide that advertises our agricultural, mineral and economic potentials? Such handbook professionally and attractively packaged is a sine qua non for investment drive. Has the State demarcated land for industrial use and what is their policy for land required, for industrial purpose? What is government tax policy to investors? Are there tax holidays or rebates for certain kind of businesses? Such information should be in the investors guide and in the public domain. What is government disposition to Public Private Partnership and in which area is government interested in such partnership? These issues are key to attracting investors. The State must embark on an economic road show when the aforementioned prerequisites have been fulfilled and the governor as chief executive must personally drive the process. Edo State however has a lot of well meaning indigenes abroad and in Nigeria who are willing to invest at home if the government can make the environment conducive and attractive for them. We must initiate this process. ‪#‎TheFutureIsNow‬!

By Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by Unsad(m): 11:51am On Sep 29, 2015
Is Lola not enough for you people ni

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by OZAOEKPE(f): 11:53am On Sep 29, 2015
"and PMB in his foolishness gave him $75m to do what? I pity the people of Edo state, my beloved country-home".

9 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by TippyTop(m): 11:56am On Sep 29, 2015
Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu is Edo next governor.

5 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by TippyTop(m): 11:57am On Sep 29, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
"and PMB in his foolishness gave him $75m to do what? I pity the people of Edo state, my beloved country-home".

Are you from Edo state?
Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by osemwengie1: 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2015
Unsad:
. How has edo state benefited from Lola
Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by laudate: 12:15pm On Sep 29, 2015
Guy, I tire for Oshiomhole matter, o! If he is not accusing Okonjo-Iweala who has moved on with her life, he is busy alleging that America gave him a list of fraudulent people! Imagine! shocked shocked

Na the Edo Line matter pain me pass. I know how many times some of my relatives passing through Edo state, used to shuttle between Lagos and Benin, using Edo Line because of their good safety record. By now, Edo Line should have graduated to deploying luxury buses in its fleet, traversing the whole of the different parts of Nigeria. But what do they have on ground, now??! angry

6 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by Naijiant: 12:22pm On Sep 29, 2015
Unsad:
grin Fashion and cosmetics industries right there.

3 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by funkiebully: 12:25pm On Sep 29, 2015
Pastor Ize-Iyamu is a philanthropist, activist and social crusader. Very popular in Edo.

The man is obviously going to be the next Edo governor.

Quote me anywhere!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by osemwengie1: 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
laudate:
Guy, I tire for Oshiomhole matter, o! If he is not accusing Okonjo-Iweala who has moved on with her life, he is busy alleging that America gave him a list of fraudulent people! Imagine! shocked shocked

Na the Edo Line matter pain me pass. I know how many times some of my relatives passing through Edo state, used to shuttle between Lagos and Benin, using Edo Line because of their good safety record. By now, Edo Line should have graduated to deploying luxury buses in its fleet, traversing the whole of the different parts of Nigeria. But what do they have on ground, now??! angry
. The worst is that people will be comparing him to Lucky. Lucky received less federal allocation, less IGR and yet performed better. Look at how expensive it is to attend AAU.

2 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
Lalasticlala and seun won't come here now, please come and move my state's thread let's discuss our matter.

2 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by Agbgift(f): 12:41pm On Sep 29, 2015
laudate:

Na Edo Line u even see self.
Benin / Auchi express road is in a mess. travelling from ekpoma or Auchi to benin it's like going to ore from benin.
Instead of him canvassing to fed Govt to help fix the road, he is busy borrowing millions fir project we haven't seen. accusing one minister or the order for financial mismanagement.

4 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by funkiebully: 12:44pm On Sep 29, 2015
Edo state governor is a rogue. I get angry when ppl compare him to igbinedion.

Why not compare him with Fashola, obiano, akpabio etc. Why compare with a fellow crook?

Edo is in total mess. No road in Benin. Ppl get stranded once it rains.

4 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by Agbgift(f): 12:44pm On Sep 29, 2015
osemwengie1:
. The worst is that people will be comparing him to Lucky. Lucky received less federal allocation, less IGR and yet performed better. Look at how expensive it is to attend AAU.
I learnt he is about increasing the school fees in AAU again.

1 Like

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
Lalasticlala and seun won't come here now, please come and move my state's thread let's discuss our matter.
Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by bokohalal(m): 12:54pm On Sep 29, 2015
Edo people, especially the Binis, are the most ungrateful people that you will ever come across. Like the typical panhandler,the times you forgot or didn't have to give will be remembered.
No governor has done more for the Binis than Oshiomole.

2 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by baralatie(m): 12:58pm On Sep 29, 2015
Unsad:
abi?
Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by iokpebholo: 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2015
APC is dead in edo state.Thanks to oshio- bad -bad

5 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by laudate: 2:00pm On Sep 29, 2015
osemwengie1:
Poverty will not go, if there are no industries that will stimulate economic growth and create jobs. Token and cosmetic efforts like the Youth Empowerment Scheme (YES) which has crashed is not the answer to poverty eradication or alleviation, but a well coordinated and articulated economic programme founded on Public Private Partnership with government creating the enabling environment.

This is the best comment I have read on NL, this month!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by osemwengie1: 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
bokohalal:
Edo people, especially the Binis, are the most ungrateful people that you will ever come across. Like the typical panhandler,the times you forgot or didn't have to give will be remembered.
No governor has done more for the Binis than Oshiomole.
. Your stupidity is stunning, you have the mind to insult Edo people. Now tell me outside from the few roads he constructed what has he done. 8 yrs no single employment, instead he is incurring debt for the next govt . what did he do that we didn't appreciate. don't ever insult Binis again.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by oshiosense(m): 3:04pm On Sep 29, 2015
funkiebully:
Pastor Ize-Iyamu is a philanthropist, activist and social crusader. Very popular in Edo.

The man is obviously going to be the next Edo governor.

Quote me anywhere!
You and the so called pastor jus dey dream. Ize-Iyamu can never govern Edo state. Quote me anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by funkiebully: 3:09pm On Sep 29, 2015
oshiosense:
You and the so called pastor jus dey dream. Ize-Iyamu can never govern Edo state. Quote me anywhere.

Next year is not far. Mind u apc is dead in Edo as a result of oshio thugs harassment and other mess

1 Like

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by oshiosense(m): 3:15pm On Sep 29, 2015
osemwengie1:
. Your stupidity is stunning, you have the mind to insult Edo people. Now tell me outside from the few roads he constructed what has he done. 8 yrs no single employment, instead he is incurring debt for the next govt . what did he do that we didn't appreciate. don't ever insult Binis again.
If I see some of you making 'blind' statements, I laugh. You said apart from a few roads, what did he do? Bros, in as much as I am not holding brief for Oshiomole and certainly not in support of his recent loquacious manner, I will score him high in road construction, health, education, youth empowerment, killing of the hitherto institutionalized godfatherism, higher internal revenue, opening up linking of many villages, which no government had paid attention to the past, etc. Bros if you know Benin, you will agree with me that Benin is saner, organized and neater now. King square or ring road axis used to be a no go area for people because of a certain Bob Izua, whose boys were law to themselves in Benin, but Oshiomole cut him and his nefarious activities to size. Right now, no fewer than 3 new big companies are currently being built in Edo state, including Dangote fertilizer company and BUA cement factory. I know Oshiomole is not a saint, but we should always avoid to dodge the truth just because you want to settle scores.

2 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by bokohalal(m): 3:18pm On Sep 29, 2015
osemwengie1:
Osemwengie, you are not more Bini than I am. I have every right to speak my mind on any issue concerning the Bini nation and Edos in general.
Rather than belonging to secret society you should go look for a job. It is not government duty to provide employment but to create the environment for it.
Glad you acknowledged the 'few' roads.
You might do well and listen to your political leaders who have confessed to Oshiomole's outstanding achievements in Edo State.
Pastor Ize-Iyamu doesn't feed me and his general disposition is one of a failure when in power. He can only inspire stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by oshiosense(m): 3:20pm On Sep 29, 2015
funkiebully:

Next year is not far. Mind u apc is dead in Edo as a result of oshio thugs harassment and other mess
APC is dead in Edo state, yet some of the biggest players in Benin politics are in APC! Gen. Charles, Okunbor, Ogienwonyi, Imasuangbo, Ogbemudia(in principle), Osunbor, etc or should I continue naming?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by laudate: 3:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
oshiosense:
If I see some of you making 'blind' statements, I laugh. You said apart from a few roads, what did he do? Bros, in as much as I am not holding brief for Oshiomole and certainly not in support of his recent loquacious manner, I will score him high in road construction, health, education, youth empowerment, killing of the hitherto institutionalized godfatherism, higher internal revenue, opening up linking of many villages, which no government had paid attention to the past, etc. Bros if you know Benin, you will agree with me that Benin is saner, organized and neater now. King square or ring road axis used to be a no go area for people because of a certain Bob Izua, whose boys were law to themselves in Benin, but Oshiomole cut him and his nefarious activities to size. Right now, no fewer than 3 new big companies are currently being built in Edo state, including Dangote fertilizer company and BUA cement factory. I know Oshiomole is not a saint, but we should always avoid to dodge the truth just because you want to settle scores.

3 new companies, ke?? Where dem dey? Oya, post pictures of each of these sites, highlight current on-going works at each stage, so that we can read, inspect and verify progress of works, at each location. sad

Your rhetoric is rather baffling! Even last year, the Azura Power Plant site which was done with a lot of fanfare, whose siting in Edo had nothing to do with Oshiomhole, is yet to kick off till now. There are too many promises, and too little action! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by OZAOEKPE(f): 3:24pm On Sep 29, 2015
oshiosense:
"if I naked swear for you and your family tree, you will never make it in this life, why are you saying rubbish"? Quote me anywhere

3 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by oshiosense(m): 3:24pm On Sep 29, 2015
iokpebholo:
APC is dead in edo state.Thanks to oshio- bad -bad
Pls tell me who remain for PDP, apart from the 2 senators? Remember Anenih is weak now, Pastor Ize Iyamu can never govern Edo state, who then, my brother I say who dey there?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by oshiosense(m): 3:28pm On Sep 29, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

"if I naked swear for you and your family tree, you will never make it in this life, why are you saying rubbish"? Quote me anywhere
Stop acting like a cultist, my friend. We are discussing issues here and you are bringing in your frustrations in life here. Stop cursing your self
Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by bokohalal(m): 3:29pm On Sep 29, 2015
laudate:

3 new companies, ke?? Where dem dey? Oya, post pictures of each of these sites, highlight current on-going works at each stage, so that we can read, inspect and verify progress of works, at each location. sad

Your rhetoric is rather baffling! Even last year, the Azura Power Plant site which was done with a lot of fanfare, whose siting in Edo had nothing to do with Oshiomhole, is yet to kick off till now. There are too many promises, and too little action! undecided
Name one state in Nigeria that has built one factory or opened companies in that state
Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by laudate: 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
bokohalal:
Name one state in Nigeria that has built one factory or opened companies in that state

Guy, your question is rather funny. Someone said 3 big companies are opening up in Edo State. I asked for proof. Instead of letting that person respond to my enquiry, you have butted in with a question that is totally unrelated to the previous enquiry that was made. undecided

What exactly is your point?? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries by bokohalal(m): 3:34pm On Sep 29, 2015
oshiosense:
I don't know Oshiomole and never benefited from him but only a Bini ingrate will say that Oshiomole has done nothing in Benin City.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: Buhari Shows Up, Shock Fayose, Releases Powerful Proof / Unseen Photos Of Governor Obiano And His Wife At Their Wedding 29 Years Ago / 12 Transport, Safety & Environment Related Bodies In Lagos & Their Functions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.