Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,643 members, 7,823,828 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment (3531 Views)

4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade / 3 Steps To Get A High Paying Job In Nigeria / Simple Steps To Writing A Good CV For Young Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by MyZoto: 4:36pm On Sep 29, 2015
So you have finally made the decision to move out of your family house? Congratulations! One of the first things you’ll likely do as an adult is to rent your own apartment. As a first-time renter, you might feel intimidated about renting your first apartment. Not to worry though, the steps below will help you in securing your first apartment.

Step 1 – Set a Budget

Have a look at your annual income to determine how much you can afford. It is recommended that you only spend between 25% - 35% of your net income on rent. You also need to consider all the utility bills you would be required to pay like Power, Gas, Cable, etc. and make sure that you can afford the extra bills. If you can’t find a place within your budget, consider getting a roommate.

Step 2 – Create a Criteria to Identify Potential Apartments

Make a list of what you are looking for in an ideal apartment. How many bedrooms do you want? Any preference on location? Do you prefer a furnished or unfurnished apartment? After you have listed your criteria, go online and search for apartments that fit this criteria. Sites like Private Property, ToLet & Lamudi are good places to start your search.

Step 3 – Top Up Your Phone

Looking for a new apartment requires constantly calling agents and chasing leads for prospective apartments. Before you start searching, ensure that you have enough airtime to stay connected to these agents so that you are able to get the best place for your budget. The Zoto recharge app is recommended for recharging your phone on the go. The app also gives cashback on every recharge so you never run out of airtime.

Step 4 – Set Aside A Day To Visit Your Potentials

After you have identified some potential apartments, it is advisable to physically visit these apartments to see their condition. Make this process as efficient as possible by visiting as many of your potentials as you can in a single day. Saturdays are the busiest days for landlords & agents showing apartments, so try to go sometime during the week. Before you commit to any apartment, make sure you have properly inspected it to make sure that everything works and there are no damages. If something doesn’t, get a commitment from the landlord about fixing it.

Step 5 – Make A Good First Impression

When visiting a potential apartment, try to look and act your best. Landlords are always on the lookout for tenants that are reliable, courteous, and easy to get along with. Your first impression starts with the phone call to set up the appointment. Be polite and speak clearly. Also make sure you are on time! If you show up late to your appointment, the agent or landlord could take that as a sign you may be late in paying rent.

Step 6 – Ask Current Tenants About Their Experience

Never take the word of the landlord or agent about how great an apartment is. Their job is to sell so they will do their best to convince you to commit. Visit the apartment at a later date after you have viewed it to speak to the tenants about the experience living there.

Above all else, always try to be on the lookout for dubious agents. Before you part with your money, ensure that you have met with the landlord of the building and have verified this from other tenants.

Have you had any experience renting apartments before? Do you have any tips to share? Let us know in the comments!

Read more here: http://zoto.com.ng/6-steps-to-help-you-rent-your-first-apartment/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by datYoyo2000(m): 4:44pm On Sep 29, 2015
I got ya boss.

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by gabinogem(m): 4:57pm On Sep 29, 2015
U nailed it bro... Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Misterpaul(m): 5:26pm On Sep 29, 2015
Step 4 is very important..physically inspect the apartment by yourself and ask questions from old tenants. From experience, rainy season is the best time to inspect a potential apartment, cos most houses in Lagos will look very ok during dry season but when its rainy season eh, its either the area will be inaccessible due to flood or the building walls will start soaking (damping).

Forget about that first impression ishh..Some nonsense landlords are so tribalistic that they have already made up thier mind never to rent out thier house to people from a particular tribe, no matter how good and nice you try to make your first impression.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Sylver247: 5:42pm On Sep 29, 2015
Like someone said above, dont even get carried away by fine walls esp in lagos. inspect the house after a heavy rain, cos u might end up swimming in ur apartment.

7 Likes

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Sweetyie(f): 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2015
I'll love to live in my own apartment

2 Likes

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Qualer: 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2015
Sweetyie:
I'll love to live in my own apartment

are you up to 18 yet?

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Sweetyie(f): 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2015
Qualer:

are you up to 18 yet?
Yes
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by obinna2nv(m): 6:49pm On Sep 29, 2015
you're on point for 4 and 6
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Neroski(f): 3:41am On Sep 30, 2015
nice post.let me also add that in Nigeria,the best time to house hunt is during raining season because that is when you truly know what to expect!

3 Likes

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Sparkle777(f): 3:56am On Sep 30, 2015
Good points, as said. Check out the place during rainy seasons esp in Lagos.
Pls is it me or has anyone noticed that house rents are becoming cheaper in Abuja? There re lots of vacant houses both in Abuja main city and the suburbs. Renters are having a field day pricing down flats while landlords are practically begging for tenants.

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by ValerianSteel(m): 6:34am On Sep 30, 2015
Nicely listed,the Tenants Chat made me laugh cause its so true especially if the Landlord is bad.

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by phiszo(m): 7:53am On Sep 30, 2015
4 & 6 are the most important steps.

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 30, 2015
Hope y'all saying 'the best time to rent an apartment is the rainy season' do know that in most cases, the need to rent an apartment is always urgent - say a month or two. No one ain't got no _fucking time to wait for some goddamn rainy season to start looking for an apartment.........Niggas! angry

Friedplantain

5 Likes

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Samchuky(m): 9:26am On Sep 30, 2015
Very insightful. Thank you OP for sharing
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 30, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Hope y'all saying 'the best time to rent an apartment is the rainy season' do know that in most cases, the need to rent an apartment is always urgent - say a month or two. No one ain't got no _fucking time to wait for some goddamn rainy season to start looking for an apartment. Nigga! angry

Leave them make them dey wait for rainy season
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by orlaryhincah(m): 9:32am On Sep 30, 2015
Nice one
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Neroski(f): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Hope y'all saying 'the best time to rent an apartment is the rainy season' do know that in most cases, the need to rent an apartment is always urgent - say a month or two. No one ain't got no _fucking time to wait for some goddamn rainy season to start looking for an apartment.........Niggas! angry

Friedplantain
lolsss.well you may not necessarily wait but just ask around what the street is like when it rains!
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Neroski(f): 10:22am On Sep 30, 2015
brandymcmb:

Leave them make them dey wait for rainy season
I know a street with many fine houses for rent.Former Tenants regret ever staying there without asking questions.people refuse to rent houses there because when it rains,the street becomes a very big river and it is like that for days.
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 30, 2015
Neroski:

I know a street with many fine houses for rent.Former Tenants regret ever staying there without asking questions.people refuse to rent houses there because when it rains,the street becomes a very big river and it is like that for days.

I totally agree with one statement you made "former tenants regret staying there without asking questions" one can always ask questions

Not that you must wait till rainy season before you can rent a house

We all know how urgent one might need an accommodation, you would nau be waiting till rainy season

Except you haven't experienced urgent search for an accommodation before
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by klickash077(m): 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2015
well said
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by richyfunky(m): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2015
Wonderful post!
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by jmichlins(m): 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2015
for the internet lovers please find a place with good service coverage else you will turn winch waiting for midnight to download your stuff. #experience

2 Likes

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 30, 2015
OP, God bless you oo. You just addressed my needs! I have been wondering how many percentage of my income should be allocated to rent. But OP I think 25-30% of annual income is way too much. That's for me anyway. Apartments in Lagos are expensive mehn especially on the island. God dey oo.
Your post was very enlightening and helpful. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by InZA: 4:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
jmichlins:
for the internet lovers please find a place with good service coverage else you will turn winch waiting for midnight to download your stuff. #experience

Looool...this is actually a very good point.

As funny as it is...It is a very solid point.
Just imagine going to rent some fine looking house where all networks only come alive between 12am to 3:30am.....ahhh angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by jmichlins(m): 9:13pm On Sep 30, 2015
InZA:

Looool...this is actually a very good point.

As funny as it is...It is a very solid point.
Just imagine going to rent some fine looking house where all networks only come alive between 12am to 3:30am.....ahhh angry
should i rent another house and the data speed is not up to 1mb/sec in the day, then I will pass. i don suffer for where I dey now

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by davide470(m): 11:40pm On Sep 30, 2015
PiperAlpha:
OP, God bless you oo. You just addressed my needs! I have been wondering how many percentage of my income should be allocated to rent. But OP I think 25-30% of annual income is way too much. That's for me anyway. Apartments in Lagos are expensive mehn especially on the island. God dey oo.
Your post was very enlightening and helpful. Thanks
Boss like you.

25 - 30% would be too much na except you wanna rent a bungalow at Osborne Foreshore. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 01, 2015
davide470:
Boss like you.

25 - 30% would be too much na except you wanna rent a bungalow at Osborne Foreshore. smiley
Boss ke. sometimes what we see is not really there, and what we don't see is there. Figure it out
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Neroski(f): 8:24am On Oct 04, 2015
jmichlins:
very true.my new apartment no get network coverage o.I really don't understand it.I have to walk to the gate to get full network.lolsss
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 04, 2015
Pls I need a. Female roomate.
She must be able to cook and she must not eat too much .

Thank u
Sorry and she must be in d working class
Re: 6 Steps To Help You Rent Your First Apartment by power900: 3:33pm On Aug 11, 2016
Pls I need a. Female roomate.

She must be able to cook and she must not eat too much .

Thank u

Sorry and she must be in d working class

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Ready To Take Me As A Brother And Teach Me How To Make Money? / Intercontinental Recruiting! / Zinox Technologies Ltd Is Recuirting!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.