Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,691 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) (1752 Views)

Iara Oshiomhole Plays Tennis With Refugee Children At An IDP Camp In Edo. Photo / Soldier Gives Children Gift At An IDP Camp / Young Girl Who Gives Birth At An IDP Camp In Adamawa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by ageefoundation: 12:15pm On Sep 30, 2015
“Sannuku” I greeted, as I stepped into one of the ten fences of the Internally Displaced Persons of Gwoza and Bama camp at Durumi Area 1, FCT-Abuja. This was on Saturday 26/09/2015, on an outreach mission with my colleagues.

I work with the Age Empowerment Foundation, a non-profit organization focused on mental emancipation and then visible empowerment.
Our outreach goal was to collect adequate information from these IDPs with the aim of developing a temporary engagement plan for these persons.

During a prior visit, we found out that the total number of refugees in that camp stood at 1,539. Of this number, only 563 are female and children- meaning we have 976 able-bodied men who are susceptible to depression resulting from frustration, which is similar to a time bomb that will definitely explode some day and bounce back as dangers to the society.
We must not let this happen!

As we went through, fence to fence, gathering necessary information from individuals (I must say thank you to the translators), It was a mixed atmosphere- of gratitude, sadness, and despair.
From BabaGana, the very lively 18 year old who was shouting “ba turanchi; ina son okada” while eating fish-head to the bright 25 Year old Sadia Ismail who recently suffered a miscarriage, didn’t have a home of her own at the IDP camp and spoke very fluent English- you could tell they were indeed thankful for life, but so worried about what tomorrow may bring.
By the way, some of the fences have already been issued a 6-weeks evacuation notice- the land owner needs to use his land.

Okay, now that we have talked about the situation, the question is- what are we going to do to change the situation? We all know talk without action is absolute nonsense.

I really wish you were with us at the IDP camp, maybe you’d get to feel as I do. But it really doesn’t matter, what matters is that these people are in dire need and we must help them.

We want to help erect batchers/tents. We want to help give scholarships. We want to help these people make a useful meaning out of their lives, even in their current situation; and together we are better! From volunteers to donors to partners to encouragers, we need you with us.

Our immediate intervention need is to erect 30 temporary batchers/tents for 30 families who have been asked to evacuate. We got a land for relocation, but we need to erect! The cost of one batcher is N20, 000 and that is equivalent to building materials such as: Wood (2x2, 2x3, 2x4), Plywood, Tarpaulin, Cement and Nails. We also need volunteers to join us in erecting.

I believe we can do something. Will you lend these 30 families a hand, too? Please contact us!

-Abimbola Oladapo
Age Empowerment Foundation, Abuja

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by adedayourt(m): 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2015
pix angry
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by chocolateme(f): 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2015
Nairalanders are trying not just hustling for FP like me but I am trying too. grin
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:19pm On Sep 30, 2015
Pictures or I don't believe..
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by richidinho(m): 12:27pm On Sep 30, 2015
Nice 1
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by benedictnsi(m): 12:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
chocolateme:
Nairalanders are trying not just hustling for FP like me but I am trying too. grin

Padi mi grin

So you too d find FP...... Oya na, let's keep hustling. You know wah

Just go find pictures of all these yeyebrities or celebrities post here. Under two minutes, etc dey FP shikina grin
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by Spikkylee: 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by ageefoundation: 1:05pm On Sep 30, 2015
Apologies, we had issues inloading the pictures at first. For those of you in doubt about the authenticity of AGEEF, which is quite understandable, you could visit our website for more info or better still if you in stay within Abuja, you could join us in our next out reach on Saturday 3rd October 2015 to another IDP camp in Abuja.

Lots of able men and women are currently living in IDP camps located in different parts of Nigeria mostly in the Northern region, these set of people who once lived a normal life with their families and relatives now live at the mercy of concerned Nigerians like me and YOU.

A little show of love in any form for us could mean a lot to them, the way we could assist them are numerous;
We could sponsor a child/ children through school
Provide free health care service
Relief materials
or even volunteer as a field worker. etc

The fact is that a little help from us to them would mean a lot, it could save a posterity.
Please get involved.
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by ehiaze(m): 1:30pm On Sep 30, 2015
It would be really nice to help those in need especially the internally displaced amongst us with the little that we have, many people, me self inclusive would like to help or assist in whatever form, avenues like this would give us an opportunity to. I urge the brain behind this to keep it up, I know its not going to be easy task but its a task that is worth all the stress. They really need us. we should try in whatever form that we can.
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp In Abuja ( Photos) by Latty88(f): 10:56am On Jun 17, 2016
ageefoundation:
“Sannuku” I greeted, as I stepped into one of the ten fences of the Internally Displaced Persons of Gwoza and Bama camp at Durumi Area 1, FCT-Abuja. This was on Saturday 26/09/2015, on an outreach mission with my colleagues.

I work with the Age Empowerment Foundation, a non-profit organization focused on mental emancipation and then visible empowerment.
Our outreach goal was to collect adequate information from these IDPs with the aim of developing a temporary engagement plan for these persons.

During a prior visit, we found out that the total number of refugees in that camp stood at 1,539. Of this number, only 563 are female and children- meaning we have 976 able-bodied men who are susceptible to depression resulting from frustration, which is similar to a time bomb that will definitely explode some day and bounce back as dangers to the society.
We must not let this happen!

As we went through, fence to fence, gathering necessary information from individuals (I must say thank you to the translators), It was a mixed atmosphere- of gratitude, sadness, and despair.
From BabaGana, the very lively 18 year old who was shouting “ba turanchi; ina son okada” while eating fish-head to the bright 25 Year old Sadia Ismail who recently suffered a miscarriage, didn’t have a home of her own at the IDP camp and spoke very fluent English- you could tell they were indeed thankful for life, but so worried about what tomorrow may bring.
By the way, some of the fences have already been issued a 6-weeks evacuation notice- the land owner needs to use his land.

Okay, now that we have talked about the situation, the question is- what are we going to do to change the situation? We all know talk without action is absolute nonsense.

I really wish you were with us at the IDP camp, maybe you’d get to feel as I do. But it really doesn’t matter, what matters is that these people are in dire need and we must help them.

We want to help erect batchers/tents. We want to help give scholarships. We want to help these people make a useful meaning out of their lives, even in their current situation; and together we are better! From volunteers to donors to partners to encouragers, we need you with us.

Our immediate intervention need is to erect 30 temporary batchers/tents for 30 families who have been asked to evacuate. We got a land for relocation, but we need to erect! The cost of one batcher is N20, 000 and that is equivalent to building materials such as: Wood (2x2, 2x3, 2x4), Plywood, Tarpaulin, Cement and Nails. We also need volunteers to join us in erecting.

I believe we can do something. Will you lend these 30 families a hand, too? Please contact us!

-Abimbola Oladapo
Age Empowerment Foundation, Abuja

Please can you send me the address of the IDP camp?

(1) (Reply)

Reminiscences: Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola 50 Years After - Abimbola Akintola / Home To Farm Cherche For Weapon Will Be Solution To End Violent In The East! / Flash Back Of Tinubu's Paid Touts Demonstrating In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.