Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! (1148 Views)

How Fayose Begged Zenith Bank To Cover Up The Source Of His Election Funds - SR / PDP Blasts Buhari: You're Like Hitler, Tyrants Cover Up With Fighting Corruption / Hajj Fatality Now Over 1,500. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by LeOstrich: 7:01am On Oct 02, 2015
A Saudi Arabian health ministry statement said 4,000 people died in the Hajj stampede—then disappeared

There's strange news coming — and being redacted — from the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Heath about the death toll of Saturday's Hajj stampede in Mina.

As the baffling fatality numbers have shown, this is the worst disaster to strike Hajj since 1990. But just how those numbers are is a debate still raging days after the accident.

The ministry's Arabic website said Tuesday some 4,000 people have died in the crush. The announcement's since been wiped from the page, but not before people (including Al Bawaba) managed to capture a screen shot. See it below.

Here's the translation:

The Saudi Deputy Minister of Health Mohamed Aldowale stated that the ministry handed over a photo album with photos of 4,173 pilgrims who passed away in Mena accident, and the process of Identifying the bodies has started.

He also added that the big number of death was due to heat, suffocation and stampede, according to the report by the Minister of Health.

The primary statistics indicated 769 deaths however our final numbers have increased to 4173 deaths after the ministry received several more bodies yesterday.

Despite all the rumors and news in the media, the ministry would like to reconfirm that this site and its social media handles are the only reliable and formal sources for official statements.

With the official death count tallied by the Saudi government so far floating around 800, that's a miles-long discrepancy not lost on social media users. Here's what one said to Vice Minister of Heath Hamad al-Dhewalia's Twitter handle, with a screenshot of the ministry announcement attached.

http://www.albawaba.com/loop/saudi-arabian-health-ministry-statement-said-4000-people-died-hajj-stampede%E2%80%94then-disappeated-74
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by macolino(m): 7:13am On Oct 02, 2015
Na WA oo
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by olumide81(m): 7:13am On Oct 02, 2015
Really wish i could give definition to this...it could always be avoided, but when some set of people are of the believe that a colour deserves preferential treatment than the other there will always be a ' collateral damage' SMH
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by Eeser: 7:22am On Oct 02, 2015
Huurrr...
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by psucc(m): 7:23am On Oct 02, 2015
So even in Islam, colour has a definition.
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by Elummah(m): 7:27am On Oct 02, 2015
I reserve my comments
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by buzquet(m): 7:43am On Oct 02, 2015
so they can still lie in the holy land of mecca? nobody can tell me dat Nigeria is nt a great Nation.
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by sorextee(m): 7:49am On Oct 02, 2015
Bros, edit that ur comment, cos I was about writing that.. see chancing abeg undecided

buzquet:
so they can still lie in the holy land of mecca? nobody can tell me dat Nigeria is nt a great Nation.
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by kellyJames5(m): 7:56am On Oct 02, 2015
.....And They forgot that "nothing is hidden under the sun"
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by RockMaxi: 8:05am On Oct 02, 2015

Not Saudi alone, generally death and casuality figures are generally downtoned in most government media.
The purpose is to prevent public outcry depending on the situation.
If you ever hear that one person died in a situation that will put the government under public scrutiny, just multiply that figure by x, where 6 < x < 12.
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by LeOstrich: 8:07am On Oct 02, 2015
sorextee:
Bros, edit that ur comment, cos I was about writing that.. see chancing abeg undecided

Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by nnachukz(m): 8:15am On Oct 02, 2015
Right in their temple, they were sent to their virgins and lied to cover it up.
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
You mean Saudi Arabia lied about the death toll? That's appalling!
Re: COVER UP!: Real Hajj Fatality Over 4,000! by Pangea: 8:20am On Oct 02, 2015
That Prince and his securiry that closed off the roads which caused the stampede must be beheaded publicly according to the Islamic laws!

(1) (Reply)

State Of Roads In Imo: Rochas Okorocha Is Working / Stop Criticising Buhari Over Bomb Blasts:Reno Omokri(pics) / Wrong Understanding Of Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.