Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,632 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria (32352 Views)

Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" / Ask A Pilot... / Fatima Abba-Gwadabe The First Commercial Pilot In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Pangea: 7:29am On Oct 02, 2015
Ahmet Ali Çelikten

Ahmet Ali Çelikten born İzmirli Alioğlu Ahmed; 1883–1969), also known as Arap Ahmet Ali or İzmirli Ahmet Ali,[1] was an Ottoman aviator who may have been the first black pilot in aviation history and was one of the few black pilots in World War I, like Eugene Jacques Bullard. His grandmother came from [size=13pt]Bornu[/size] (now in Nigeria) to the Ottoman Empire as a slave.

Ahmet born in 1883 in İzmir, in the Aidin Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire to his mother Zenciye Emine Hanım and father Ali Bey, of African Turkish descent. He aimed to become a naval sailor and entered the Naval Technical School named Haddehâne Mektebi (literally "School of the Blooming Mill"wink in 1904. In 1908, he graduated from school as a First Lieutenant (Mülâzım-ı evvel). And then he went to aviation courses in the Naval Flight School (Deniz Tayyare Mektebi) that was formed on 25 June 1914 at Yeşilköy. He was then a member of the Ottoman Air Force.

During World War I, he married Hatice Hanım (1897–1991) who was an immigrant from Preveza. He became first black military pilot in aviation history when he started serving in November 1916. On 18 December 1917, Captain (Yüzbaşı) Ahmed Ali was sent to Berlin to complete aviation courses.

He died in 1969.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Ali_%C3%87elikten

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 02, 2015
sgko
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by ayindejimmy(m): 7:46am On Oct 02, 2015
Now, that's good news
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by kossyablaze(m): 8:00am On Oct 02, 2015
Cool *Modified*A Crow lived in the Forest and was absolutely satisfied in life. But one day he saw a Swan... This Swan is so white and I am so black.. Crow thought. This Swan must be the happiest bird in the world. He expressed his thoughts to the Swan. "Actually," the Swan replied, "I was feeling that I was the happiest bird around until I saw a Parrot, which has two colours. I now think the Parrot is the happiest bird in creation." The Crow then approached the Parrot The Parrot explained, "I lived a very happy life— until I saw a Peacock. I have only two colours, but the Peacock has multiple colours." The Crow then visited a Peacock in the zoo and saw that hundreds of people had gathered to see him. After the people had left, The Crow approached the Peacock.. Dear Peacock, You are so beautiful. Every day thousands of people come to see you. When people see me, they immediately shove me away. I think you are the happiest bird on the planet. The Peacock replied, I always thought that I was the most beautiful and happy bird on the planet. But because of my beauty, I am entrapped in this zoo. I have examined the zoo very carefully, and I have realized that the Crow is the only bird not kept in a cage. So for the past few days I have been thinking that if I were a Crow, I could happily roam everywhere. That's our problem too. We make unnecessary comparison with others and become sad. We don't value what God has given us. This all leads to the vicious cycle of unhappiness. Let's value the things God has given us. Learn the secret of being happy and discard the comparison which leads only to unhappiness.. Say "I thank you God for everything." Beauty is not a guarantee to marriage. Falling sick does not mean you are about to die. Getting rich is not the definition of prosperity. Building a nice house is not enjoying luxury. Sleeping on an expensive bed does not bring you sound sleep. Driving a new car is not a guarantee that you're going to arrive at your destination. Wearing the best clothes does not mean they look good on you. Having a family doctor does not guarantee permanent health. Being highly educated is not a sign of wisdom. Marrying a rich guy does not guarantee a happy marriage. Winning an argument does not mean that you are correct. Whatever is done without the merit of Heaven is fake or temporal. He who builds without God, is building for nothing; and he who watches over a city without God, watches in vain. Not everything is possible with men. Yet everything is possible with God. Stay blessed!

114 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Pangea: 8:03am On Oct 02, 2015
The man get swag no be small!
Even for that time period?

13 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by mapet: 8:10am On Oct 02, 2015
Let me take a jibe at my Ibo folks. Had this guy been Ibo, chei! NL would have been awashed with how they are the best, conquering every aspects etc........... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Pangea: 8:27am On Oct 02, 2015
mapet:
Let me take a jibe at my Ibo folks. Had this guy been Ibo, chei! NL would have been awashed with how they are the best, conquering every aspects etc........... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin

22 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by EazyMoh(m): 9:48pm On Mar 06, 2016
Lalasticlala, Myn44 is this not FP worthy?

1 Like

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 06, 2016
mapet:
grin grin
We are proud people. Make una no vex. grin

12 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by mapet: 6:48am On Mar 07, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

grin grin
We are proud people. Make una no vex. grin

Bros,

I no vex. The late Chinua Achebe had explained that bit to the world

9 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by kingzizzy: 7:57am On Mar 07, 2016
So how is he a Nigerian?

5 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by sinkhole: 8:13am On Mar 07, 2016
kingzizzy:
So how is he a Nigerian?
That, seriously, gets me thinking too!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by alexco56: 11:59am On Mar 07, 2016
Wow! That's great
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by BUSHHUNTER: 12:00pm On Mar 07, 2016
That man is not nigerian.

You call someone a pilot and he's sailing a ship.

Op whatever you took that made you come up with this post please share with me because that sh!t is very effective.
grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by xynerise: 12:00pm On Mar 07, 2016
He is not a Nigerian
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by MrCork: 12:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
Pangea:
Ahmet Ali Çelikten

Ahmet Ali Çelikten born İzmirli Alioğlu Ahmed; 1883–1969), also known as Arap Ahmet Ali or İzmirli Ahmet Ali,[1] was an Ottoman aviator who may have been the first black pilot in aviation history and was one of the few black pilots in World War I, like Eugene Jacques Bullard. His grandmother came from [size=13pt]Bornu[/size] (now in Nigeria) to the Ottoman Empire as a slave.

Ahmet born in 1883 in İzmir, in the Aidin Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire to his mother Zenciye Emine Hanım and father Ali Bey, of African Turkish descent. He aimed to become a naval sailor and entered the Naval Technical School named Haddehâne Mektebi (literally "School of the Blooming Mill"wink in 1904. In 1908, he graduated from school as a First Lieutenant (Mülâzım-ı evvel). And then he went to aviation courses in the Naval Flight School (Deniz Tayyare Mektebi) that was formed on 25 June 1914 at Yeşilköy. He was then a member of the Ottoman Air Force.

During World War I, he married Hatice Hanım (1897–1991) who was an immigrant from Preveza. He became first black military pilot in aviation history when he started serving in November 1916. On 18 December 1917, Captain (Yüzbaşı) Ahmed Ali was sent to Berlin to complete aviation courses.

He died in 1969.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Ali_%C3%87elikten

...this thread shud be in joke secction! (no ofennse) grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 07, 2016
He is Not a Nigerian na. Oops@mods.
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by josh93: 12:03pm On Mar 07, 2016
u say
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Ayento: 12:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
Pangea:
The man get swag no be small! Even for that time period?
abi na.the first African pilot no go pose?

4 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by semasir: 12:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
Not a Nigerian but of Nigerian descent....

3 Likes

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by gentleheart1(f): 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
God forgive me for opening this thread, the op is obviously dumb.
I wonder when Turkey became known as Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by theripper3: 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
Abokiiiii indeed

From great grand mother.

1 Like

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by SFSNIPER(m): 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nigerian descent please.

1 Like

Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by mazizitonene(m): 12:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
nigerians can claim cheesy
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by gentleheart1(f): 12:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
theripper3:
Abokiiiii indeed
From great grand mother.
Aboki want to claim too, abeg make we hear word.
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Zellie: 12:21pm On Mar 07, 2016
He's not a Nigerian undecided
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by Kokolett(f): 12:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
And why did he bare up to ten different names? He must have been really confused about his identity.
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by banmee(m): 12:31pm On Mar 07, 2016
kingzizzy:
So how is he a Nigerian?

Nigerians usually want to associate themselves with what's good but don't want to do things that are good so as to be recognised as good people.
Re: Ahmet Ali-Çelikten, The First Black Pilot In History Was From Nigeria by uzoormah(m): 12:31pm On Mar 07, 2016
"borno(now in nigeria)" before where e dey??

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Pastor Survived This Ghastly Motor Accident In Benue State. Photos / Traffic Warden Oludewa Sanni 'Samanja' Is Dead! / Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.