Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,226 members, 7,829,382 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi (4040 Views)

Wizkid Causes Stampede At Felabration After Throwing N100,000 Into Crowd / Tiwa Savage - Olorun Mi [audio + Video Download] / Where Is This Guy Called Mi [ Crowd Mentality] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by mbulela: 4:11am On Apr 22, 2009
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi
« #27 on: Yesterday at 06:15:40 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frankly am sick of people throwing baseless accusations concerning a fake american accent and some how inserting Mi's name some where in the post, I've know MI from Adam and he has always talked with his "fake american accent", well can you blame him? when he attended mostly American schools in Nigeria and did the majority of his college years in Michigan, Calvin College to be precise. Usually children tend to get their accents from the people around them, If you don't like him-fine. Different strokes for different folks. The fact that Owerri wasn't receptive to him, don't mean he aint the shit in 9ja, I'll tell you what EVEN BEYONCE's show can flop, There is no celebrity that EVERYBODY in the world likes.I guess thats just a slacker on the side of his manager for getting him a show in a place where they had no market.
Most 9ja people like their traditional music , thats why D'Banj, Eldee and all the like are there, If you don't like his music, Don't buy his CD.Lets face it people MI is the best 9ja rapper that ever stepped into the music thresholds.

Guy, take it easy. i like MI very much.i do not think he is the messiah that they claim he is as i consider a bit of originality lacking in his craft, however, i like him.
But on this fake accent thing, you need to tread carefully.how can going to american school in naija give you an accent??
how many years did he spend in Michigan?
bros, take it easy. the guy's accent is fake and their is no need to defend it.
i know several folks who spend decades in the UK or US without a hit of an accent.those who even have you can see how effortless it is.
i have spend years abroad and had no hint of an accent.despite having to fake one when speak wit the natives there as they had problem underrstanding my nigerian accent.
MI is just like that Kemistry girl. their accents are fake.i have no problem with it.it is all part of the game but pls don't try and defend it.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by OgidiBoy(m): 4:19am On Apr 22, 2009
who the hell is Mi
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by coolguyz(m): 3:00pm On Apr 22, 2009
rockyfela:

YOU NAME ANY NAIJA RAPPER EVER IN THE HISTORY OF NAIJA THAT IS DOING WHAT MI IS DOING WITHIN A YEAR?
1. HIS ALBUM IS BLAZING
2. ILLEGAL MIXTAPE WAS ONE OF A KIND
3. AMAZING FEATURES ON SONGS?

PLEASE BECAUSE ONE SHOW DIDNT GO WELL WHICH AM SURE WASNT THAT BAD, JST THE POSTERS OPINION OF THE SHOW, LIKE THE LONDON SHOW WE CLEARLY SEE PEOPLE FEELING HIM. HE MAY NOT BE AS POPULAR AS 9ICE, DBANJ ND ALL BUT IT TOOK DBANJ 2 ALBUMS ND YEARS 2 GET 2 WHERE HE IS 2DAY, 9ICE 2 ALBUMS, 2FACE PLANTASHUN DAIZ PLUS AFRICAN QUEEN. HE( MI ) IS A RAPPER AND[b] NEVA IN NAIJA HAVE I SEEN PEOPLE REALLY INTRESTED IN RAP MUSIC BY A NAIJA ARTIST AFTER RUGGED[/b].

PLS FREE THE GUY. HE IS WORTH THE HYPE AND HE HAS SHOWN IT BY HIS CONSISTENT DELIVERY.

are u really minding those HATING the poor guy?

well, MI for me has done great though i dnt think dt makes him a messiah yet. is he being over-hyped? well, i guess his PR team are doing their jobs to make sure he not only delivers lyrics bt also get rewarded for it wt commercial success. i'v seen him on stage just once at this year's rythmn unplugged and he was fairly well accepted especially when pple were pissed off wt the poor organisation of the show which started well toooooo late. i hv his album which i actually bought to see what it is abt him dt pple were talking about cos the only track i'd appreciated prior to dt was the 'safe' and 'area' which were played on radio and i can say he's okay and his illegal music which i'v heard 3 tracks from sounds gud enuf too bt i think he still need be tested b4 saying he's messiah bt for pple nt to appreciate his efforts yet - i guess its simply HATING. some pple find it hard to accept fact some artiste are gud and combine commercial success wt watever dey do - no wonder MI feels he'l b the artiste to make chocolate city's bank account blow!

The guy is good - u dnt necessarily hv to accept but u can do urself a favour by not HATING or betterstill kip the HATE to urself.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2009
coolguyz:

are u really minding those HATING the poor guy?

well, MI for me has done great though i dnt think dt makes him a messiah yet. is he being over-hyped? well, i guess his PR team are doing their jobs to make sure he not only delivers lyrics bt also get rewarded for it wt commercial success. i'v seen him on stage just once at this year's rythmn unplugged and he was fairly well accepted especially when pple were pissed off wt the poor organisation of the show which started well toooooo late. i hv his album which i actually bought to see what it is abt him dt pple were talking about cos the only track i'd appreciated prior to dt was the 'safe' and 'area' which were played on radio and i can say he's okay and his illegal music which i'v heard 3 tracks from sounds gud enuf too bt i think he still need be tested b4 saying he's messiah bt for pple nt to appreciate his efforts yet - i guess its simply HATING. some pple find it hard to accept fact some artiste are gud and combine commercial success wt watever dey do - no wonder MI feels he'l b the artiste to make chocolate city's bank account blow!

The guy is good - u dnt necessarily hv to accept but u can do urself a favour by not HATING or betterstill kip the HATE to urself.

I guess the bottom line is, wether he is good or not, he has no real competition. It's not like Yankee where there is Jay Z, Kanye, Nas, Lil Wayne, Plies, 50, Jadakiss, Rick Ross, etc all battling it out. In Naija, it's RuggedMan, Mode 9 or MI and the other 2 have been around for ages. People are tired.
In fact, we don't even have enough MC's for a HipHop awards show. Hopefully, he'll open the doors for other acts.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by coolguyz(m): 4:51pm On Apr 22, 2009
@audio

verily from my comments too, i dnt think we can hurriedly label MI the messiah and agree wt u in that light but i believe he is good in his own right.
likewise, i dnt think this trend of always sayin we dnt hv acts the way we have the likes of jay-z, 50cents, rick, jada, eminem and the rest in the west comes into this. this is naija and the rules here differs. we dnt hv to follow d line of argument of our politicians that cos it cost more in US to buy a gallon of gasoline therefore petrol prices shld be increased as well while ignoring the social security and healthcare system obtainable there. the genre of rap demand here is slightly different.

presently, there are a lot of acts some are good bt nt well managed and i guess thats where the hype of MI is coming from, its nt easy staying around for a long tym in naija music if u cant do more than just delievring lyrics especially for rap artistes.

Is MI the messiah of rap music in naija? i dont agree yet as well until he proves more to me but to say he aint good at all, i think its rather not objective enuf. the current climate could hv helped him bt its same wt other acts who hv nt been able to exploit it as well to make a name and take over. he deserves some applause and surely he can only get better if he really wants to stay long on the scene.

i guess it's matter of tym
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by mailmalc(m): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2009
(Hissessss) . . . this same M.I. rocked a show held in benin some 2-3 weeks ago. The whole crowd reacted well far more than i guess he expected cos for a moment, it was like e'ry1 knows the exact words to his songs. I noticed this big smile on his face and personally, i felt very happy for him.

For now, M.I. deserves every single Hype he gets.Ain't nufin wrong wit his accent cos dats the way he normally talks. Maybe he ain't 'all that original' but hey! the dude is good. You don't expect all his lines to be ill. . . i've heard weaker ones even from those rappers in the States and so i don't use a single line as a yardstick or criteria. M.I. has got a first class delivery and flow pattern that serves as a filler for such weak lines.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by eldee(m): 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2009
I don't get this . . . should we believe this because odili.net said it?? Or because audio confirmed it??

People have come here to say that he rocked Abuja, Lagos, London and Benin . . . what else does he need to do to prove he's got a hold on Naija??
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 5:28pm On Apr 22, 2009
coolguyz:

@audio

verily from my comments too, i dnt think we can hurriedly label MI the messiah and agree wt u in that light but i believe he is good in his own right.
likewise, i dnt think this trend of always sayin we dnt hv acts the way we have the likes of jay-z, 50cents, rick, jada, eminem and the rest in the west comes into this. this is naija and the rules here differs. we dnt hv to follow d line of argument of our politicians that cos it cost more in US to buy a gallon of gasoline therefore petrol prices shld be increased as well while ignoring the social security and healthcare system obtainable there. the genre of rap demand here is slightly different.

presently, there are a lot of acts some are good bt nt well managed and i guess thats where the hype of MI is coming from, its nt easy staying around for a long tym in naija music if u cant do more than just delievring lyrics especially for rap artistes.

Is MI the messiah of rap music in naija? i dont agree yet as well until he proves more to me but to say he aint good at all, i think its rather not objective enuf. the current climate could hv helped him bt its same wt other acts who hv nt been able to exploit it as well to make  a name and take over. he deserves some applause and surely he can only get better if he really wants to stay long on the scene.

i guess it's matter of tym

Good Response. And for the record, i never said he was not good at all. Anybody with a fanbase as big as his whether its by luck or design has got to be good. For longevity and the headline shows though, i think he will need to focus on more than just punchlines and rhyming words for the sake of it (my major gripe with him). And he will definitely need a hit track that appeals to the masses. Anyway, i'm sure he's working on it, so we'll see what happens. At least now we have 3 people to talk about not just 2.

@ Mailmac. Your comments are noted.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by javalove(m): 11:45am On Apr 23, 2009
audio:

Good Response. And for the record, i never said he was not good at all. Anybody with a fanbase as big as his whether its by luck or design has got to be good. For longevity and the headline shows though, i think he will need to focus on more than just punchlines and rhyming words for the sake of it (my major gripe with him). And he will definitely need a hit track that appeals to the masses. Anyway, i'm sure he's working on it, so we'll see what happens. At least now we have 3 people to talk about not just 2.

@ Mailmac. Your comments are noted.

The same thing haters have been shouting about modenine. For God sake, let MI do it the way he knows how to do it . . . Must everybody go POP to make it?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 12:16pm On Apr 23, 2009
javalove:

The same thing haters have been shouting about modenine. For God sake, let MI do it the way he knows how to do it . . . Must everybody go POP to make it?

You misunderstand Mr Javalove. Listen to all the top hiphop acts. Any of them. Take your pick. Busta, 50, anybody. It's not just punchline after punchline, because that's boring. They are all telling stories, bragging, whatever, but it's more about intelligent wordplay. Not just putting together a string of punchlines. Yes it's dazzling at first, but then it's like, what else you got. The truely great hiphop records (Stan: eminem, one more chance:biggie, In the club: 50, Big Pimpin: Jay Z, etc) do not rely  on punclines but memorable storylines

Stop thinking every comment that is not "MI is the greatest" is someone hating on him.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 23, 2009
If this MI dude wants to sell or better still become better known then he's got to switch his style.
i remember when Ikechukwu first came out with 'my name is ikechukwu'. he came to the notting hill carnival then went to a few after parties. nobody, and i mean nobody was checking for this guy cos everything about him was american. some you may agree with me he jacked DMX's style.

I'm sure it did not take a rocket scientist to tell him to be a little bit afrocentric if he wants to blow.
this is exactly what the MI dude needs to do. I'm not checking for no nigerian rapper but i do bump fair few.

if Banky W like make him dey carry nose anyhow. the day he decides to be all american, that day he begins to fail.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 4:27pm On Apr 23, 2009
from audio;
For longevity and the headline shows though, i think he will need to focus on more than just punchlines and rhyming words for the sake of it (my major gripe with him). And he will definitely need a hit track that appeals to the masses.

i disagree with this post. If you've actually been listening to the dude, you'd know M.I's emphasis is usually more on delivery than punchlines and metas. it is evident in his album Talk About It and the Illegal Music mixtape. an artiste droppin' metas and punches in a song doesn't necessarily mean his overall emphasis is on those categories. as a matta fact, most of em metas dropped were on his mixtape.

other than that, what's with the "And he will definitely need a hit track that appeals to the masses. . ." comment? HAVE YOU ACTUALLY LISTENED TO HIS ALBUM? the M.I songs getting massive airplay on radios in Lag, what are they? shit-tracks? ROFL, dude, don't make me laff in Greek. if songs like Blaze, Teaser, Area, Fast Money Fast Cars, Anoti are not hits, then please define what makes a song a hit.

the fact that he didn't get crowd feedback in Owerri points to other factors - either he doesn't have enough buzz or radioplay/media exposure in the said Owerri or them Owerri people still listen to Zim Zimakoy Nwaneri And His HighLife Boys cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

besides. . . . i thought Akanchawa was the hit track in Owerri cheesy cheesy
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by mailmalc(m): 5:34pm On Apr 23, 2009
besides. . . . i thought Akanchawa was the hit track in Owerri
cheesy cheesy cheesy I think they pro'lly see Nigga Raw as the best rapper/emcee in 9ja grin
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 6:31pm On Apr 23, 2009
@wordsmith and @mailmac

Are you guys trying to diss owerri and owerri guys.Are you guys trying to suggest owerri guys are local?If it is then you guys do not know owerri.The simple truth is that peeps there simply do not feel MI.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Afam4eva(m): 7:17pm On Apr 23, 2009
It actually depends on the type of crowd. MI seems to be more popular with the elites. People like MI, Naeto C are more popular with ajebutters. You don't except ajebutters to move to daddy showkeys songs.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 7:35pm On Apr 23, 2009
Wordsmith:

from audio;
i]HAVE YOU ACTUALLY LISTENED TO HIS ALBUM[/b]? the M.I songs getting massive airplay on radios in Lag, what are they? shit-tracks? ROFL, dude, don't make me laff in Greek. if songs like Blaze, Teaser, Area, Fast Money Fast Cars, Anoti are not hits, then please define what makes a song a hit.

1. Do Me - P Square
2. Nice - Gongo Aso
3. The Entertainer Album (pick any song) - D Banj
4. Yahooze - Olu Maintain
5. Kini Big Deal - Naeto C
Just a few. Will rock any party, club, gathering, whatever any day or any time in any part of Naija

Please name the MI equivalent?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by sosoboy1: 8:00pm On Apr 23, 2009
nobody is feeling m.i in southsouth and south east.i have the album though.but i've never heard his song on air anywhere.except lagos.he's not a well known mc in naija.the likes of d,banj,p.sq,nice etc are verywhere.m.i is overhyped and he's not worth all that.he does'nt have songs that can move people who are sick of listening to american rap.
@wordsmith
if nigga raw is the best rapper there, don't u like it?is he not doing good? abi na ur papa go be the best rapper.or na ur lame ass.what matters is how much money u make and not how sick u are than siphillis.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by xplain1: 8:47pm On Apr 23, 2009
yall cats should uderstand dat even as much the music industry esp rap & hiphop is concerned in dis country naija its exposure is still mostly territorial & 4 d kind of music Mi does u need well more than sectoral glory to really be appreciated in certain parts of the nation
& as for talking bout his show being a flop, it happens errwer around d world
i'v personally seen 2face' per4mance in Ptown @ polo club been a total disaster
so pls h8rs y'all kip on hating on d dude & i bet he will just go ahaed to tell you cats 2 take d hate & shove it in ur breast pockets
Mi is 9ice on d mic like it or not
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by javalove(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
i know where all these yarns wud lead us to . . .

MI would soon be getting almost the same dose of disses that modenine gets from his haters

cos of the same reaseons
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 11:05am On Apr 24, 2009
@javalove

u r an extremly boring dude. Jeeeez!!!

Almost every single one of your posts on NL refers to Mode9. Do you have no other contribution to make apart from your mode9 spamming? angry
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by lalaboi(m): 11:18am On Apr 24, 2009
Rapjunkie and Audio. . .you 2 lots from AHH . . . .You never disagree do you?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by coolguyz(m): 11:19am On Apr 24, 2009
@java
u dnt need insinuate wat is not cos u d one trying to bring in ur modo jibes into this again. u'v alredi made refernce to it earlier. dnt bore us in tjhis thread wt modo PR angry.

@other contributors
for me i bliv MI is gud and still stand by it. he has one thing i feel may work well in his favour which is ability to fuse his rap wt some other musical blends. anoti, safe, area, fast money fast cars are nice tracks but i dnt think it makes him KING yet. his illegal mixtape wasnt bad but more needs be done. the only snag i knw may be true which a fellow friend and someone earlier pointed out is his flow delivery. its same rhyming which after a while may get boring if nt laced wt stuffs to make tracks sound different. this i guess he's working on wt d few selected tracks above. lets gv it to him, he has tried in few months he's bn out and rily he has good ratings in lagos. for other towns, i guess he can build some fan base there too wt tym if his PR machines work to get more airwaves promotion for some of his tracks.
finally, i dnt think his critics hate him, they just dnt feel him doing somethin spectacular enuf but i think its too early to judge him. the guy try and got age and tym on his side. as i sed in an earlier post, i seen him once on stage and it was a fair outing for him and at least was faaaar better than some other rap artiste who performed at d vault some years back and at a show in benin which were double flops. tym i bliv will judge him more, he's GOOD and the competition aint rily there to pull him dwn which he's using well enuf to his advantage.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 11:23am On Apr 24, 2009
lalaboi:

Rapjunkie and Audio. . .you 2 lots from AHH . . . .You never disagree do you?

Don't we?

Great minds huh?

Nice to know u care lalaboi.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 11:56am On Apr 24, 2009
@coolguyz

Your analysis is as cool as your name. grin

I dont mind MI. . . . . .just don't agree that he is the best rapper in naija. Also amuses me how people fall prey to 'crowd mentality'   grin

Call me hater . . . . . . i love it!!!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2009
audio:

1. Do Me - P Square
2. Nice - Gongo Aso
3. The Entertainer Album (pick any song) - D Banj
4. Yahooze - Olu Maintain
5. Kini Big Deal - Naeto C
Just a few. Will rock any party, club, gathering, whatever any day or any time in any part of Naija

Please name the MI equivalent?

. . . and tracks like Anoti, Blaze Area are not hits or are you shittin' me? do you even listen to the guy's music? fa Christ's sake, the case in point here is them Owerrians don't have exposure to him, simple. if radios don't play you, you don't get to be known in a particular area, it's simple logic. what someone like MI simply needs to do is create a buzz via the media. they don't feel him simply because they don't know him, c'est finni.

besides. . . Akanchawa is still the shit in Owerri, take it or leave it cheesy cheesy
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2009
Wordsmith:

. . . and tracks like Anoti, Blaze Area are not hits or are you shittin' me? do you even listen to the guy's music? fa Christ's sake, the case in point here is them Owerrians don't have exposure to him, simple. if radios don't play you, you don't get to be known in a particular area, it's simple logic. what someone like MI simply needs to do is create a buzz via the media. they don't feel him simply because they don't know him, c'est finni.

besides. . . Akanchawa is still the shit in Owerri, take it or leave it cheesy cheesy

You dey yarn cigar.Anoti,Blaze hits like those those tracks?My friend i stay in owerri and i can tell you MI is played in the radio but the issue is many people here do not feel wannabe guys.People here prefer more original artistes .

Moreover Akanchawa is a gospel song and not hip hop or afro pop or street hop so stop mixing apples and oranges.

soso boy:

nobody is feeling m.i in southsouth and south east.i have the album though.but i've never heard his song on air anywhere.except lagos.he's not a well known mc in naija.the likes of d,banj,p.sq,nice etc are verywhere.m.i is overhyped and he's not worth all that.he does'nt have songs that can move people who are sick of listening to american rap.
@wordsmith
if nigga raw is the best rapper there, don't u like it?is he not doing good? abi na ur papa go be the best rapper.or na ur lame ass.what matters is how much money u make and not how sick u are than siphillis.

grin
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 4:44pm On Apr 24, 2009
no offense, but what kinda songs do they listen to in Owerri?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 4:46pm On Apr 24, 2009
What do you mean what kind of songs do we listen in owerri?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2009
Wordsmith:

no offense, but what kinda songs do they listen to in Owerri?

. . .errrrrr . . . . . . .wordsmith, where are going with that silly statement?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 4:57pm On Apr 24, 2009
@ asha;

just exactly what the question says. what kinda songs do they listen to in Owerri? what are the songs gettin' masssive airplay in the media, right now?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by dammiecool(m): 4:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
I think u guyz now know why Ruggedman is naija greatest rapper,
even if rugged enter abakaliki grin grin grin,or anywhere in nigeria people go everly relate to his song,this is where rugged is above all other naija rapper.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 6:35pm On Apr 24, 2009
Wordsmith:

@ asha;

just exactly what the question says. what kinda songs do they listen to in Owerri? what are the songs gettin' masssive airplay in the media, right now?

Is this guy for real?After saying that Zim Zimakoy's kind of music is the kind listened in owerri and akanchawa is still the hit song in owerri you now want me to list the hit songs in owerri?Well let me help u cement your belief.

List of hit songs in owerri now

UdoakpuEnyi -Sonny bobo

Ube nwanne-Bright Chimezie

Ofe owerre-Sir Warrior

NB. Note owerri is a local village where there is no radio

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Miss You Die - Instrumental Cover/remix - FL Studio / [music] Agege Principal - Olosho Gba Salary / Rudeboy (p-square) - "Nkenji Keke" ( Mp3 Download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.