Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,480 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi (4031 Views)

Wizkid Causes Stampede At Felabration After Throwing N100,000 Into Crowd / Tiwa Savage - Olorun Mi [audio + Video Download] / Where Is This Guy Called Mi [ Crowd Mentality] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by muyiwa04(m): 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2009
MI and Eldee are numbered among the musicians that are currently rocking the entertainment industry. Some people would even vow that MI is the hottest Nigerian rapper today. And the young man is enjoying a lot of invitations to shows and events
Recently, he was in Owerri for a show and must have vowed to set the auditorium on fire with vibes, but that was not to be. It was either that the audience either chose not to flow with him or they had not heard of him or his songs. Still, MI tried his very best to elicit response from a crowd that would just not budge. Even his shout of 'wave your hands in the air' did not move the crowd. It was obvious they wanted the young man to do his thing and quit the stage. The rapper of the moment soon became an unknown singer.But he had a few 'happening' guys and babes in the audience to thank for helping him out by singing his choruses along with him.
What MI could not get from the Owerri crowd, Eldee got in a relatively good dose. Although most of the guests did not know his songs, they managed to shake their heads and wriggle their waists to the rythm of his 'Big Boy' vibes.

source : http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/18/403.html
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
grin  grin  grin

But poster is there any link to this story?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by tosinaded(m): 3:43pm On Apr 20, 2009
Lmfao!
As dem no come sabi the songs nko
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by dominique(f): 3:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
awwww!!! talk about embarrassing moment.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 3:46pm On Apr 20, 2009
MI for check im 'street credibility' for owerri before coming to perfom now cheesy
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by dejiariyo: 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2009
he got similar reception here london,pple were just sleeping when he was perfoming
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by ElRazur: 5:02pm On Apr 20, 2009
The problem I see with M.I's style is that his rap is more suited to someone who is a "Battle rapper". This kind of style do not exactly suit the commercial shows and what not. It is the same problem Canibus have. Their style is a niche and will only be appreciated by people who are into "Hardcore rap".

And with the way Naija rap stands, I think more people prefer the "Bubble Gum hip pop" instead of Hiphop rap. Hence why a lot of naijans love 50cent, Kanye and similar artist.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by tosinaded(m): 5:35pm On Apr 20, 2009
Deji ure a liar haba
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by dejiariyo: 5:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
tosin i go upload the pics for yu , no worry pple were not sleeping but were yawning lol
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by tosinaded(m): 6:06pm On Apr 20, 2009
lol deji typical naija guy!
So how was saucekid's show,abi u no go?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Afam4eva(m): 6:35pm On Apr 20, 2009
All this lagos should know that conquering lagfos does not necessarily mean that the've conquered Nigeria.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by chrisical(m): 7:11pm On Apr 20, 2009
Perhaps most of the crowd dont know his songs or may be M.i turned up when the crowd was getting tired,i mean when the show was nearing its end.But frankly it was a huge let down for M.i.Reminds me of when Mode 9 came to Akure cheesy
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 7:11pm On Apr 20, 2009
dejiariyo:

he got similar reception here  london,pple were just sleeping when he was perfoming

True that. One of my girls went to that show, she said the crowd were not feeling him at all. Some people thought they were coming to see Nateo C

afam4eva:

All this lagos should know that conquering lagfos does not necessarily mean that the've conquered Nigeria.

Tell them oh. 140 million people that all live in Lagos. Abeg
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Abagworo(m): 11:12pm On Apr 20, 2009
had it been nigga raw the show for deeeeey hoooot.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2009
I thought this guy sold 30,000 in 30 mins? Obviously not in the East then!

Wow!!

From the online hype  about this guy you would never imagine that this could happen to him

So where is he selling his album? Only in lagos ?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Bonjeh: 11:37am On Apr 21, 2009
IT is true O that you have conquered Lagos doesn't mean that U hav conquered Naija. MI is a talented rapper and performer. I think he can play both the commercial side and purist hiphop. The truth about music is that it is subjective. It is not so much about your talent but the size of your buzz. I mean look at Olu manitain back in the day there were times he got stoned with pure water but look at him now. I believe if MI works on his buzz in Owerri and goes back there, he will tear it up!!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 11:59am On Apr 21, 2009
Bonjeh:

IT is true O that you have conquered Lagos doesn't mean that U hav conquered Naija. MI is a talented rapper and performer. I think he can play both the commercial side and purist hiphop. The truth about music is that it is subjective. It is not so much about your talent but the size of your buzz. I mean look at Olu manitain back in the day there were times he got stoned with pure water but look at him now. I believe if MI works on his buzz in Owerri and goes back there, he will tear it up!!
So what exactly does that mean? You don't need talent anymore or good music for that matter, just the hype? I thought it was supposed to be the other way round. I thought it was your talent that brought the hype.
The truth is, MI is overhyped. He really isn't that good. There has been no clear superstar this year (like 9ice last year) and naija people in the absence, have chosen MI and papered over all the obvious cracks.
But remember, Lagos is not Naija. People keep forgetting that. Because BellaNaija and all the girls in VI think your hot, it doesnt mean you've now conquered the nation.

D'Banj can rock anywhere, because he has done his homework and his album  encompasses the nation. He also has several HIT Records. MI on the other hand has none. The music business is built on hit records.

I grew up in Owerri. MI can buzz all he likes, but people there are not interested in lyrics like "sick like syphillis" . Like i keep saying. Don't believe the Hype
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 21, 2009
"sick like syphillis"

My ears bled when I heard that part; so gross. cry Was he out of his mind? angry
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by dammiecool(m): 12:26pm On Apr 21, 2009
MI is not alone,this is also the kind of response mode 9 get from d crowd,his stage performance is very dry.
Thank God 4 jimmys stylee grin grin grin grin
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 12:29pm On Apr 21, 2009
dammiecool:

MI is not alone,this is also the kind of response mode 9 get from d crowd,his stage performance is very dry.

I don't get. What do you mean by Jimmy's Stylee?  embarassed
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 21, 2009
dammiecool:

They get that kind of response cos they speak long grammar. They would fare better if they improve their rhymes and move to oyibo man land.
As for M.I, methinks he's trying to act kanye west.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by dammiecool(m): 12:45pm On Apr 21, 2009
Dj jimmy jatt ft mode9,tuface n one wack boy called elajoe(newscaster)
anytime he performes style d crowd do respond cool cool cool cool
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 12:51pm On Apr 21, 2009
nuzo:

They get that kind of response cos they speak long grammar. They would fare better if they improve their rhymes and move to oyibo man land.
As for M.I, methinks he's trying to act kanye west.

LOL, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, take your pick. Don't get me wrong, he's not bad. But the messiah status he's getting, for me, is a bad reflection on the state of Naija hiphop. We are way better than that. Unfortunately, the music business is expensive. No matter how good you are, it's the ones that have money for Payola that everybody gets to hear. The down side is, the majority of them seem to be crap. Fake american accents everywhere, when we all speak pidgin, english and indeginous languages. I tire

dammiecool:

Dj jimmy jatt ft mode9,tuface n one wack boy called elajoe(newscaster)
anytime he performes style d crowd do respond cool cool cool cool

Got it. Thanks.  Like i said. The music business is built on hit records. Unfortunately for Mode 9, the only one he has is not even his own. It's a feature
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by djcrucifix(m): 1:02pm On Apr 21, 2009
eeyah!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Baro(m): 3:39pm On Apr 21, 2009
afam4eva:

I concur

@ Topic,
Not surprised.   .  .  .

Only Psquare, D'banj, Tuface, Faze and 9ice enjoys nationwide street credibility and acceptance
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Bonjeh: 4:19pm On Apr 21, 2009
So what exactly does that mean? You don't need talent anymore or good music for that matter, just the hype? I thought it was supposed to be the other way round. I thought it was your talent that brought the hype.
The truth is, MI is overhyped. He really isn't that good. There has been no clear superstar this year (like 9ice last year) and naija people in the absence, have chosen MI and papered over all the obvious cracks.
But remember, Lagos is not Naija. People keep forgetting that. Because BellaNaija and all the girls in VI think your hot, it doesnt mean you've now conquered the nation.

D'Banj can rock anywhere, because he has done his homework and his album encompasses the nation. He also has several HIT Records. MI on the other hand has none. The music business is built on hit records.

I grew up in Owerri. MI can buzz all he likes, but people there are not interested in lyrics like "sick like syphillis" . Like i keep saying. Don't believe the Hype

I'm not saying that talent is not needed but what I'm saying is that hype plays a major role. Do you know how many talented people are soaking garri meanwhile people like Kelly handsome have mad air play. What do you say to that?

As per MI, yes he had a lot of hype, but really the guy is good. Hands down in the last 12 months we have not had any rapper in Nigeria that has been this prolific. Have you listened to his free album called "Illegal music" ? and he is supposed to drop a third album this year. Apart from that he has been featuring on a lot of songs. He has shown a lot of consistency and I think he is worth the hype. I have also seen him perform and he is quite a performer.

Finally you shouldn't compare MI to D'banj, they do 2 different types of music. And yes that line "sick like syphillis" is weak but Snoop and Lil' wayne have used worse.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by muyiwa04(m): 6:07pm On Apr 21, 2009
M.I in london, well as u can c d crowd r actually movin to iz song

Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by wanville(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2009
smiley
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Bonjeh: 6:18pm On Apr 21, 2009
he got similar reception here london,pple were just sleeping when he was perfoming

Well that must have been another show in London, cuz the pictures above are showing the crowd is really feeling him.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 6:33pm On Apr 21, 2009
wanville:

Lets face it people MI is the best 9ja rapper that ever stepped into the music thresholds.

Thats the kind of overhype that gets my back up angry angry angry angry
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 8:41pm On Apr 21, 2009
wanville:

Frankly am sick of people throwing baseless accusations concerning a fake american accent and some how inserting Mi's name some where in the post, I've know MI from Adam and he has always talked with his "fake american accent", well can you blame him? when he attended mostly American schools in Nigeria and did the majority of his college years in Michigan, Calvin College to be precise. Usually children tend to get their accents from the people  around them, If you don't like him-fine. Different strokes for different folks. The fact that Owerri wasn't receptive to him, don't mean he aint the shit in 9ja, I'll tell you what EVEN BEYONCE's show can flop, There is no celebrity that EVERYBODY in the world likes.I guess thats just a slacker on the side of his manager for getting him a show in a place where they had no market.
Most 9ja people like their traditional music , thats why D'Banj, Eldee and all the like are there, If you don't like his music, Don't buy his CD.Lets face it people MI is the best 9ja rapper that ever stepped into the music thresholds.

Interesting reply. May i ask you who your top 10 MC's of all time are. Any country. Since you think MI is the best Naija rapper to ever step into the threshold, it will be interesting to see what your standards are.

Don't get me wrong. I wish the guy every success. He has helped put hiphop back on the map which is good. He has also shown that naija is hungry for hip hop. But you all seemed to have settled on a standard, which i think is just average. But when there is no alternative, that is always the case. In yankee and Europe, there are at least 20 -30 MC's at the top of their game battling it out. In Naija, we have only MI. The trip to Owerri is a sign of things to come if he doesn't change his game up. He hasn't got a hit track yet. Something that appeals to the masses. Without the masses, you can't survive for long in Naija.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rockyfela(m): 1:50am On Apr 22, 2009
LIKE SERIOUSLY MOST OF YOU HERE SHOULD SHUT THE Bleep UP AND STOP HATING. 4KEN HATERS, PLS U SAY FAKE AMERICAN ACCENT, HE SCHOOLED IN MICHIGAN, IN THE STATES, Y SHDNT HE HAVE AN ACCENT?

U SAY HE USED THE LINE SICK LIKE SYPHILIS, OF ALL THE SONGS HE HAS SANG, AND ALLL THE MAD LYRICS HE HAS BEEN SPITTING ON OVER 40 SONGS IN JST ONE YEAR U WANT 2 CRUCIFY HIM? DBANJ U ARE SHOUTIN ABOUT EVEN PSQUARE ALL DO HAVE VERY WACK LINES AND U COMPARE NAIJA'S HIPHOP MESSIAH?

YOU NAME ANY NAIJA RAPPER EVER IN THE HISTORY OF NAIJA THAT IS DOING WHAT MI IS DOING WITHIN A YEAR?
1. HIS ALBUM IS BLAZING
2. ILLEGAL MIXTAPE WAS ONE OF A KIND
3. AMAZING FEATURES ON SONGS?

PLEASE BECAUSE ONE SHOW DIDNT GO WELL WHICH AM SURE WASNT THAT BAD, JST THE POSTERS OPINION OF THE SHOW, LIKE THE LONDON SHOW WE CLEARLY SEE PEOPLE FEELING HIM. HE MAY NOT BE AS POPULAR AS 9ICE, DBANJ ND ALL BUT IT TOOK DBANJ 2 ALBUMS ND YEARS 2 GET 2 WHERE HE IS 2DAY, 9ICE 2 ALBUMS, 2FACE PLANTASHUN DAIZ PLUS AFRICAN QUEEN. HE( MI ) IS A RAPPER AND NEVA IN NAIJA HAVE I SEEN PEOPLE REALLY INTRESTED IN RAP MUSIC BY A NAIJA ARTIST AFTER RUGGED.

PLS FREE THE GUY. HE IS WORTH THE HYPE AND HE HAS SHOWN IT BY HIS CONSISTENT DELIVERY.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olamide – Lagos Boys “sneh” (prod. Pheelz) / VIDEO: MHD Ft Wizkid - Bella / Is Ice Prince Now Better Than M.I? Answer And You Could Win N1, 500 Airtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.