Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi (4041 Views)

Wizkid Causes Stampede At Felabration After Throwing N100,000 Into Crowd / Tiwa Savage - Olorun Mi [audio + Video Download] / Where Is This Guy Called Mi [ Crowd Mentality] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 7:19pm On Apr 24, 2009
ROFLMAO!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy you had me in stitches there.

lol, look i'm tryin' to be understanding here, ok, help me out. my bad, if you were offended by my previous posts cheesy.

now kindly, please can you tell me the songs reigning in Owerri?
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 7:34pm On Apr 24, 2009
yori yori-bracket

big boi-eldee

elewe ukwu-tj

shayo-bigiano

one guy wey dem the call harida
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Moonstone(f): 7:38pm On Apr 24, 2009
asha 80:

Is this guy for real?After saying that Zim Zimakoy's kind of music is the kind listened in owerri and akanchawa is still the hit song in owerri you now want me to list the hit songs in owerri?Well let me help u cement your belief.

List of hit songs in owerri now

UdoakpuEnyi -Sonny bobo

Ube nwanne-Bright Chimezie

Ofe owerre-Sir Warrior

NB. Note owerri is a local village where there is no radio
What? Who is Bright Chimezie? Sonny bobo? Sir Warrior? As in what da hell? Are those even actual musicians?

asha 80:

yori yori-bracket

big boi-eldee

elewe ukwu-tj

shayo-bigiano

one guy wey dem the call harida
Now I know why they did not appreciate M.I. He should not have gone there.

MI is not overhyped or overrated. If you listen to rap music well enough, you'll understand why most of us love MI th way we do right now. It's not because of anything but when a guy that raps to a slow beat such as in 'Short Black Boy'. I'm sorry that commands respect right there.
I don't believe this rapjunkie of a person understands what rap is sef.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 7:42pm On Apr 24, 2009
emm, asha, you once said Owerrians do not listen to wannabe guys and only those that are more original.

Now i ask, how original is elDee's Big Boy? the same accent change occurs (though minutely) when eldee switches from english to pidgin to Yoruba. look, i still stand, the root is exposure. MI doesn't have enough in Owerri. . .
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 7:47pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Moonstone

You do not get it do you?Most guys in owerri especially my generation grew up with the 2pac,biggie,Jayz,Nas,Master P,ice cube, kind of music.Most guys will prefer to listen to this kind of rap rather than listening to a nigerian (except ruggedman or niggaraw) rapping like a yankee.

When we want to listen to nigerian artistes we expect a lot of naija flavour.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 7:51pm On Apr 24, 2009
Wordsmith:

emm, asha, you once said Owerrians do not listen to wannabe guys and only those that are more original.

Now i ask, how original is elDee's Big Boy? the same accent change occurs (though minutely) when eldee switches from english to pidgin to Yoruba. look, i still stand, the root is exposure. MI doesn't have enough in Owerri. . .

Though minutely and not sustained.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Moonstone(f): 7:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
asha 80:

@Moonstone

You do not get it do you?Most guys in owerri especially my generation grew up with the 2pac,biggie,Jayz,Nas,Master P,ice cube, kind of music.Most guys will prefer to listen to this kind of rap rather than listening to a nigerian (except ruggedman or niggaraw) rapping like a yankee.

When we want to listen to nigerian artistes we expect a lot of naija flavour.
So did Lagos people. Eldee does not rap like a Nigerian.
That's not a valid excuse. Do P-square sing like Nigerians?

I personally hate guys who pretend too much like yankee people. That's why I can't stand some rappers in naija but if you listen to M.I very well he's not all westernized. In his yankee-sounding rap, he uses a lot of Nigerian undertones.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 8:21pm On Apr 24, 2009
Moonstone:

So did Lagos people. Eldee does not rap like a Nigerian.
That's not a valid excuse. Do P-square sing like Nigerians?

I personally hate guys who pretend too much like yankee people. That's why I can't stand some rappers in naija but if you listen to M.I very well he's not all westernized. In his yankee-sounding rap, he uses a lot of Nigerian undertones.

All the so so pidgeon,yoruba and igbo they speak is it unigerian?

Apart from get squared track i cannot remember any jam they sang that does not sound nigerian whether they borrowed the beat or not.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rapjunkie(m): 10:55pm On Apr 24, 2009
@moonstone

Did i see my name in ur post? Are my eyes decieving me? Better take ur time o! I dont discriminate and i'm not sexist which means i will rush u on NL like u stole my money. Mind ur biz and keep my name out of ur posts.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by sloobtv: 12:02am On Apr 25, 2009
i also saw him at a milo show in unilag every body were jst steering at him while performing it was Artquake that came to the resque of that show it wuld have been an absolute flop
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by mailmalc(m): 10:23am On Apr 30, 2009
Oh i see, can't believe so many people are still Accent-driven. They tend to care abt the Accent pro'lly cos of their low mentality. What happens to the lyrics, the flow, the message? nada i guess! You don't really need huge intellects to relate with his Lyrics and same thing applies to Mode. They pass the same message to listeners similar to 'ur' Nigga Raw nd the rest of 'em. The major difference is that they do this in a more defined and refined way.

take for example
My mama used to say, all u got is pride, Ashawo na Ashawo no matter wat u drive, don't spend your life to buy money, cus u can't spend money to buy life.
is that not simple enough to understand nd relate with?

I listen to anything pleasant to the ears. M.I. is gettin good air plays in all radio stations in my state. Like 'smith said, they probably ain't feeling him 'cos they don't know him. It's not that i am tryna attack y'all or call you haterz, the fact remains M.I. is doin it the naija way. Bleep crowd mentality, Hip Hop rocs!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 30, 2009
M.I. to dey speak big grammar.
Dem eldee know how far. Even after e don cross go yankee. He knows our language is our identity.

If he is bothered about appealing to the masses, he has to cut the big grammar. flow some pidgin, yoruba, whatever.
Else only a few of us will be listening to him.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Wordsmith(m): 11:59am On Apr 30, 2009
khai_khai:

M.I. to dey speak big grammar.
Dem eldee know how far. Even after e don cross go yankee. He knows our language is our identity.

If he is bothered about appealing to the masses, he has to cut the big grammar. flow some pidgin, yoruba, whatever.
Else only a few of us will be listening to him.

. . . again, that's not true. people are simply looking for excuses where there are none. M.I using big grammar? are you on some of that yay? his diction is some of the most simple i've seen. the problem you may have (and i guess other peeps complaining . . .) is that the dude has a knack for wordplay not his diction. besides , ma guy appeals to the masses. anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't know him. . .
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by hypeman2(m): 2:27pm On Apr 30, 2009
It Happens to the best of 'em, MI is not an exception. Even big A-list stars in America get the boos sometimes from some parts of the country that aint part of the HYPE GEOGRAPHY.

Besides he still sounds good on wax anytime. But his stage antics for live performances needs major overhaul. Seen the dude twice live and it was humdrum, embarassed

We need some real balance in the Game in naija. So far I'm still waiting for the real thing to, lipsrsealed
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by softpalms: 8:45am On Aug 24, 2009
luv tj and elewe ukwu simple. heard he would soon release a new album. will continue tracking his site to find out
www.yaakentertainment.com
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by lato2(m): 10:32am On Aug 24, 2009
@all
most people on this thread always feel they know it all, but to be honest with you, Rap and Music is a game, the crowd varies in most cases, Rappers like MI will not shine in places where Nigga Raw is considered a rap icon. i remember when Ruggedy came to kano and was bragging on the stage, the crowd started shouting Eedris Abdulkareem. Stop the beef and overhype pls
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by audio: 11:21am On Aug 24, 2009
l.a.t.o:

@all
most people on this thread always feel they know it all, but to be honest with you, Rap and Music is a game, the crowd varies in most cases, Rappers like MI will not shine in places where Nigga Raw is considered a rap icon. i remember when Ruggedy came to kano and was bragging on the stage, the crowd started shouting Eedris Abdulkareem. Stop the beef and overhype pls

Well said
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by yoji: 8:43am On Aug 25, 2009
well that y that place is called OWERRI. mi should leave that place for my main man duncan MIGHTY!,
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by yoji: 9:04am On Aug 25, 2009
okay on a more serious note, Mi is first and foremost a rapper, so its out of line to compare him to ppll like dbanj p-square and nice who started out commercial and remain commercial. these are are pple with songs for wedding occasions! how commercial can u get? the arguement shuld be how mode 9, ruggedman, sauce kid, illbliss, OD, etc would fare in owerri. Anybody dwellin on a weak mi line is to me too dull to pick out and appreciate the other countless solid rhymes that shot him to fame in the first place. believe me even jayz has some embarassing lines. as far as am corncerned, sayin mi doesnt have a hit is a complement cos without that, he's already on top of the game, so imagine when the hit comes. lets thinh this tru, can u imagine being considered one of d the best without a hit! now thats awesome.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by mailmalc(m): 2:56am On Aug 26, 2009
yoji:

okay on a more serious note, Mi is first and foremost a rapper, so its out of line to compare him to ppll like dbanj p-square and nice who started out commercial and remain commercial. these are are pple with songs for wedding occasions! how commercial can u get? the arguement shuld be how mode 9, ruggedman, sauce kid, illbliss, OD, etc would fare in owerri. Anybody dwellin on a weak mi line is to me too dull to pick out and appreciate the other countless solid rhymes that shot him to fame in the first place. believe me even jayz has some embarassing lines. as far as am corncerned, sayin mi doesnt have a hit is a complement cos without that, he's already on top of the game, so imagine when the hit comes. lets thinh this tru, can u imagine being considered one of d the best without a hit! now thats awesome.
True Talk bruv!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by mceeluther: 3:43pm On Jan 30, 2010
Am based in owerri, the streets know him but somehow most hiphop heads in otown feel he has to do more to be rap messiah. If you ain't making real real real hits u can't sell in owerri.'kelly hansome was even booed in owerri. The current street song now is plaintain boy by timaya. But if owerri guy wan hear hiphop men na canibus, drake, lil wanye,illbliss,nigga raw, kanye west etc.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by aldon: 10:05pm On Jan 30, 2010
In the history of naija hiphop,there r only 2 rappers dat pple hav bn crowned rap messiah till date cuz they hav bn able 2 make the streetz feel hiphop massively.M.I is definitely d 2nd person,d 1st person y'all already knw.m.i has bn doing gud since he came in wit tight lyrics,nice voice,multi rhyme scheme nd captivating delivery.the dude is tight nd i luv him.he sounding lyk anyone is nt an issue so far u can identify his voice on wax witout being told anyday.dude is gudhearted,down2earth nd respects pples talent unlike som rapper dat said half of errbody here sounds wack,y hating on him lately.what happend in owerri has happened 2 every big artist in naija(both rappers nd singers).his so calld nursery rhymes makes him sound fly wch many others rappers cant do.ya fav unsuccesful rapper envy M.I.pls this criticisms kills artiste music morale,not every naija rapper hav d heart 2 withstand such criticisms.so posters please, ejo, biko, M.I is a blessing 2 us after opomulero,so pls letz kip appreciating him.M.I.2 is coming nd jude wil definitely reach y'all more wit local blend.b proud of him.word!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Genuflect(m): 3:17am On Jan 31, 2010
For God's sake, this dude writes songs!! e.g. Know w/ Lami, Forever etc. There's no doubting this dude's talent. He might not be high on ma Naija lyricists list, but there's no denying his musicality. That Owerri incident could have happened to anyone
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Scofield007(m): 7:03am On Jan 31, 2010
I think the greatest mistake mi can make in his life is to have to owerri. He's too good for those areas. He should just have left their jmartins and co to keep fooling them with oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh. Eh eh eh eh. Ah ah ah ah ah. Just that noise and no music is what they listen to over there.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by baibbieboy: 11:43am On Jan 31, 2010
I think we should all understand that most people in naija dnt really feel rap music, so i think that's the price dudes like MI, Neato, mode9 and others doin rap on dat level pays. Most people dont even have the time to listen them. They prefer dbanj, psqr, timaya n co because of the groves in their stuff even they dn't make sense to some. So no matter hw good these rappers are, they can never be as popular as dbanj, tuface, 9ice n co. we are all free to like who we want
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Genuflect(m): 12:16pm On Jan 31, 2010
^^True talk
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by eleshin(m): 12:47pm On Jan 31, 2010
dude is good but not dat great,as if there is any great rapper in 9ja.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by Rhymstein(m): 1:58pm On Jan 31, 2010
Truth is nigeria,the rap audience aint much n in a show that has psquare,dbanj,timaya,2face,pop names lyk dat n then u bring jst a rapper,obviously d crowd came to watch dose guys perform n not d rapper,i was fortunate to watch a star trek dat had rugged performin bangin,d stage had dancers,sweatin it out n d crowd were jst watchin,no response

And how does a hardcore group like str8buttah get to rock a crowd at club rockaway?its simple,d ppl on d bill were all rappers,so d ppl comin for d show knw wots up
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by rhymz(m): 2:18pm On Jan 31, 2010
mceeluther:

Am based in owerri, the streets know him but somehow most hiphop heads in otown feel he has to do more to be rap messiah. If you ain't making real real real hits u can't sell in owerri.'kelly hansome was even booed in owerri. The current street song now is plaintain boy by timaya. But if owerri guy wan hear hiphop men na canibus, drake, lil wanye,illbliss,nigga raw, kanye west etc.
MI is good no doubt but I think he's overrated.His poor reception in Owerre has nothing to do with the ppl.I sch here in Owerre but am base in Lagos,anyone that says MI is not known in Owerre is fooling himself,the fact is a majority of the Otown guys can't relate with his lyrics,nothing more.My room mate is an ardent fan of MI,he plays his stuf alot and i notice that MI is more interested in rhyming than entertaining even if it doesn't make much sense.Like sb earlier pointed out,his rap styl is elitist and kinda abstract,he doesn't rap about everyday stuff that ordinary ppl can relate with.Thesame probs with Mody,until they come out of their comfort zone and rap about everyday life with dope beats that will leave U bopping,they will only be able to conquer Lag,Abj & Ptown the rest will just be a kind of sympathy support and not real. Even my roomy wey dey support the guy die,i been ask am,if U were to choose btw going Nigga raw's show and MI or Mody who would U choose,homeboy laf come tell me say im go choose Nigga raw. . That's how it's.Rap is abt the streetz not some abstract ideology a common guy in the street can't relate to.'sick as syphilis'. . Kilon je bé.Even if MI goes to say Kano,ibadan,enugu im go get thesame reception.I will rather listen to Jay z rapping abt ice and luxury or fitty beefing some real dude not some abstract guy or lil wayne talking gangsta $hit abi na em dissing every female celeb U can ever fink of.
Truth be told,MI is good but he aint great abeg,he is just another phase of naija rap music just like when ruggedy moved it 4rm idris to another lvl and mody brought the cereberal aspect to it.Thesame way MI has proved that with a good dose of hype and rap talent U can be commercially successful doing rap music but Puleeez MI is not the greatest Naija rapper,which time im come out! until he gains the kinda reception he would get in Lag anywhere in Naija and away then am afraid he's just a good rapper with prospects.Shikina!
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by saharachic(f): 6:26pm On Jan 31, 2010
@ poster

The problem is that maybe Owerri people dont listent to current jamz. na only highlife and makossa i guess.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by asha80(m): 7:45pm On Jan 31, 2010
saharachic:

@ poster

The problem is that maybe Owerri people dont listent to current jamz. na only highlife and makossa i guess.

Ignorance is best kept secret.
Re: Owerri Crowd Frustrates Mi by shotster50(m): 2:23am On Feb 01, 2010
Music is a matter of taste. Most Nigerians tend to go for the dancy type of music especially the ones with some nonesense catchphrase. Personally I think M.I is a breathe of fresh air. He might not be original but he has the talent. Dude can spit.
I gave up on Nigerian music a long time ago but peeps like him have now made me go back and check for them. People have crowned him the messaiah because no other rapper (note rapper) has done as much as he has to push the boundary of Nigerian rap.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Miss You Die - Instrumental Cover/remix - FL Studio / Rudeboy (p-square) - "Nkenji Keke" ( Mp3 Download) / Don Jazzy Wanna Sign Da-mack And Blackdutch Monroe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.