Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (10409 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri Milner And Stephen Hawking To Begin Search For Alien Life. / Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? / Astronomers Release The Keys To Finding Alien Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 9:45pm On Oct 02, 2015
For one the possibility of alien existing is 100% but the possibility of them visiting earth in the pass to me is nearly impossible though not entirely impossible anyway.

My reason is based on the limiting factor distance. To begin with, any civilization that will be able to visit earth in pass must belong to a very much older star system with the parent star having probably half the size of our sun. You know the smaller the size the longer the life of the star.

Secondly looking at distant object is like looking back in time, so I think any civilization looking at the earth a million years ago will probably looking at the dinosaurs.

Thirdly except these guys have very special way of traveling, coming here and going back is really going to be a big deal.

And I also think if they actually has contact with the early man some how there will certainly going to be some forms cross breeding and we would have certainly found out today you know that the gene don't lie.

For me the only close contact we had with alien is wow signal.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by byteHead(m): 9:45pm On Oct 02, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Like John said . I could be either way . I just hate the fact that we are looking for them . Apart from " unscientific " reasons ,I wonder why mankind is so obsessed with finding aliens .Stop sending messages for God's sake ! It could mean trouble embarassed
I just hope our selfish interests won't put us to doom someday..
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2015
macof:
well, I haven't got reason to believe aliens exist. Nature is beautiful and complex, she doesn't need to keep popping sentient beings everywhere

Very erroneous assumption . Look at how vast the universe is . I'm a christian and I strongly , very strongly believe that God created life in far way planets

That flowing water existed on Mars and might still exist beneath the surface doesn't mean we have cousins on our neighbor planet.

True

Natural selection has a wide variety of options, that humans are humans and not Chimps despite having common origins is just to buttress my point

Natural selection does not point to evolution

even if there's life on mars, probably just bacteria-type organisms, factors that bring forth organisms like Humans or even fishes on earth might not be present on any other planet in the universe

Mention these factors
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:52pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:

I just hope our selfish interests won't put us to doom someday..

Someone should tell that to that fat megalomaniacal leader
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 9:54pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Someone should tell that to that fat megalomaniacal leader
Hehe... I beg to ask who that is grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 9:56pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I know right . There are even NASA reports of asteroids having a safe distance from the earth for close to 2 months now . One was seen about 4-5 days ago .

But a more interesting claim by Stephen Hawking in a new interview with El Pais . He claims that the earth could be invaded and humanity conquered by nomadic advanced aliens . His words :

But actually I dont think the human race could be obliterated through AI uprising , its not just a plausible assumption . I think Stephen so much holds abhorrent dooms- day beliefs grin . What do you think ?
I personally do not buy the Alien invasion brouhaha and stuff, it seems to me nothing more than products of Sci-fis.

Nomadic Alien life forms should be searching for uninhabited planets to inhabit not start warring over inhabited ones already. . First come first half..

To me the only threat to this planet is humans. . .We either put an end to wars or like MLK said war will put an end to mankind.

The number of nuclear warheads owned by nations are frightening and most times i just wonder what these guys are thinking..

Anyway all these sci-fi or religious apocalyptic assertions are not more to me that products of delusional imaginative minds.

If we don't stop wars and the making of weapons that are much more sophisticated we might possibly end up being the cause of our own destruction..

#SelfDestruct

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:13pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:
Hehe... I beg to ask who that is grin

No be im name you go hear from my mouth oo tongue
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:15pm On Oct 02, 2015
davien:
We just don't know how probable life is,nor if life is so improbable that we may be among the first living things out there or so far. But something we can say is that earth life started almost immediately, a mere 3.7 billion years(earliest micro-fossils) as compared to the earth being 4.5 billion years old.

Difference of 0.8 billion years - 800 million years , 8 million centuries , 8 hundred thousand millennia , 250 billion days - evidently can't be seen/viewed as "immediately " undecided
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 10:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

No be im name you go hear from my mouth oo tongue
tell me now, the notorious leaders wey dey power now no fat.. O ya I beg, tell me
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by finofaya: 10:23pm On Oct 02, 2015
I also think there is some form of extraterrestrial life. If there isn't one now there will most likely be one in the future. The universe demonstrably sustains life, the right conditions ought to exist at several different places and times. I think our chances of coming across alien life may be related to the fecundity of life in the universe. Given how large the universe is, life would have to be quite plentiful for us to come across ET in this our cubicle. Of course we can simply get lucky/unlucky and find it even though it's rare, but that would require the alien life to be quite close by. Above a certain number of light years away any alien life might as well be in another universe.

We have a better chance of coming across alien life if that life is also intelligent and at least as advanced as we are so that it can send and receive radio signals. If it is not intelligent then other than by sighting it we can only have circumstantial evidence of its existence. Obviously the likelihood that there is intelligent life is much lower than the likelihood that there is life, since intelligence is evolved and evolution is random and won't always lead to intelligence. I think that we will probably come across unintelligent life first given that there should be more of it than intelligent life. We will probably not see it for a while after learning of its existence though.

On the subject of evolution, sometimes I wonder whether life, once formed, must necessarily evolve (and develop a survival instinct too). If it must not, we should keep an eye out for stuff like RNA and cell fossils too. This sort of complicates the task of finding extraterrestrial life.

About Mars, the jury is still out on whether it can support life. However, I don't imagine that there is a civilization that is anything like ours on Mars. If there were, we should have heard from them by now.

And about historic reports of alien visitation, well...I have my doubts. Lots of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:25pm On Oct 02, 2015
johnydon22:
I personally do not buy the Alien invasion brouhaha and stuff, it seems to me nothing more than products of Sci-fis.

Nomadic Alien life forms should be searching for inhabited planets to inhabit not start warring over inhabited ones already. . First come first half..

To me the only threat to this planet is humans. . .We either put an end to wars or like MLK said war will put an end to mankind.

The number of nuclear warheads owned by nations are frightening and most times i just wonder what these guys are thinking..

Anyway all these sci-fi or religious apocalyptic assertions are not more to me that products of delusional imaginative minds.

If we don't stop wars and the making of weapons that are much more sophisticated we might possibly end up being the cause of our own destruction..

#SelfDestruct

I dont go for self -destruct

Religious view : Since God created man , man obliterating its own kind is certainly evitable

Non-religious view : Factually in close to between 50 -100 years the population of humans will increase by 4 billion . Another one - living things have the propensity to survive difficult times and even adapt
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:28pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:
tell me now, the notorious leaders wey dey power now no fat.. O ya I beg, tell me

Im dey around that Korean side sha .Im dey build nuclear bombs , dey threaten the other korean side sha . I no talk again lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 10:34pm On Oct 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Nomadic Alien life forms should be searching for inhabited planets to inhabit not start warring over inhabited ones already. . First come first half..

#SelfDestruct
The truth is, with all the billion dollars mankind is putting in research and space exploration and when we finally cross these verse distance we will be thinking of war?
Same theory should be applied to an alien.

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by finofaya: 10:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
byteHead:

I think Tyson is a bit wrong here in assuming that intelligent life forms are only interested in other intelligent life forms. I'm interested in many animals, especially house cats, and I believe I'm smarter than they are. I would be very interested in any extraterrestrial life, whether it is intelligent or not. Even NASA is looking for evidence of any life on Mars, not just intelligent life. I don't see why Tyson's aliens should be any different.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 10:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Im dey around that Korean side sha .Im dey build nuclear bombs , dey threaten the other korean side sha . I no talk again lipsrsealed
Hehe.. now I know him.. grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:40pm On Oct 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

The truth is, with all the billion dollars mankind is putting in research and space exploration and when we finally cross these verse distance we will be thinking of war?

Mankind should desist from looking for aliens and look for empty planets and harvest their resources . Poverty will be alleviated easily and world economy would be boosted !
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 10:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

We better do but i do not think mankind will ever stop wars.

As long as they are many people who make money from wars, there will always be wars and as long as nations are always in a race for better weapons there will always pose a threat to the continuity of man.

Russia has 8000Nuclear warheads, America 7,700 . . For Bleep sake what are they doing with those? angry

Man is a danger both to himself and other life forms in this planet . .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:

Hehe.. now I know him.. grin

cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 10:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:
okay, nice move op.. lemme learn..
how about the wow! signal, any prove it's from the aliens.. and the voynich manuscript? any prove its of human origin? has it been deciphered?
The source of the wow signal is artificial not natural source. It is very much likely from alien source since the source is not from Earth but sad part is it didn't come from a planetary system probably a probe or ship or something
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 10:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Mankind should desist from looking for aliens and look for empty planets and harvest their resources . Poverty will be alleviated easily and world economy would be boosted !
It's not that easy but sooner we will be seeing meteorite and asteroid mining. . they are working towards that already..

Search for Alien life is to sate our curiosity have a little improved idea of the universe and develop more on astrobiology...

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 10:47pm On Oct 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

The source of the wow signal is artificial not natural source. It is very much likely from alien source since the source is not from Earth but sad part is it didn't come from a planetary system probably a probe or ship or something
wow! a probe ship? wow! and why didn't they return the subsequent signals sent to them? I guess they weren't intelligent enough grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 10:49pm On Oct 02, 2015
johnydon22:
We better do but i do not think mankind will ever stop wars.

As long as they are many people who make money from wars, there will always be wars and as long as nations are always in a race for better weapons there will always pose a threat to the continuity of man.

Russia has 8000Nuclear warheads, America 7,700 . . For Bleep sake what are they doing with those? angry

Man is a danger both to himself and other life forms in this planet . .
Don't worry about those war heads, one of the most practical means of interstellar travel make use of nuclear bomb as it propulsion system, I bet when the second phase of space rush begins they will find their proper use.
As for war, as far as greed persist man will always go to war unless man faces the threat of extermination, man will never unite
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:55pm On Oct 02, 2015
johnydon22:
It's not that easy but sooner we will be seeing meteorite and asteroid mining. . they are working towards that already..

from the looks of things meteorite and asteroid mining could be possible much later say 30 yrs from now , I think

Search for Alien life is to sate our curiosity

True but the amount of money spent already though undecided with only the benefit of the knowledge obtained as what we stand to gain presently .

have a little improved idea of the universe and develop more on astrobiology...

Exciting times ahead for space exploration then cool
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 10:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:

wow! a probe ship? wow! and why didn't they return the subsequent signals sent to them? I guess they weren't intelligent enough grin
They weren't actually searching for when they come across it. The person who got the signal could not believe it, if not for the duration he had probably think it was interference. The search for the re-occurrence is on but no luck. You the universe is a very big place so do you begin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:03pm On Oct 02, 2015
[quote author=finofaya post=38611963]
And about historic reports of alien visitation, well...I have my doubts. Lots of them.

Ever heard of the Watchers - a kind of Angel ?

I think these beings were portrayed as aliens or evidence of visit from aliens to earth . If you compare the supposed mission of these aliens and the watchers , you could spot a similarity .
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 11:03pm On Oct 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Don't worry about those war heads, one of the most practical means of interstellar travel make use of nuclear bomb as it propulsion system, I bet when the second phase of space rush begins they will find their proper use.
As for war, as far as greed persist man will always go to war unless man faces the threat of extermination, man will never unite

Yeah this should be true going by the theory of relativity. . . I only fear for humans in terms violence, conflicts and sufferings...Hate to see people suffer
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 11:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

They weren't actually searching for when they come across it. The person who got the signal could not believe it, if not for the duration he had probably think it was interference. The search for the re-occurrence is on but no luck. You the universe is a very big place so do you begin
I just hope they find the re-occurrence and put an end to this..
about the discovery on mars, do you think there could be any intelligent life form on any of the other planets?
cause the planet surface lacks any biological activities, no heat signature, no clues whatsoever, or could it be that are in other dimensions?
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:13pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Man is not looking for alien per say but the possibility of finding the right planetary system and components that can abhor and sustaining life without finding life there is impossible.
Secondly man is a very curious animal and that is what has drive us this far, meeting an alien will fulfill part of that curiosity. Also meeting an older civilization means more knowledge. I mean there will be a lot to gain from their growth
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:22pm On Oct 02, 2015
bqlekan:

I just hope they find the re-occurrence and put an end to this..
about the discovery on mars, do you think there could be any intelligent life form on any of the other planets?
cause the planet surface lacks any biological activities, no heat signature, no clues whatsoever, or could it be that are in other dimensions?
Well the news didn't come to me as a shock. As for life on Mars, I believe there will certainly be some of microbial life there only time will tell.
Right all we need is evidence of life both pass or present no matter how small the species are, this will set the bases that life can form elsewhere outside, that is why there is high sterilization of nasa equipments to avoid contamination of the object to be explored.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 11:27pm On Oct 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Well the news didn't come to me as a shock. As for life on Mars, I believe there will certainly be some of microbial life there only time will tell.
Right all we need is evidence of life both pass or present no matter how small the species are, this will set the bases that life can form elsewhere outside, that is why there is high sterilization of nasa equipments to avoid contamination of the object to be explored.
well lets just cross our fingers and watch..
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Yeah this should be true going by the theory of relativity. . . I only fear for humans in terms violence, conflicts and sufferings...Hate to see people suffer
Well I believe we are evolving, but a lot is holding us back. Examples are religion, tribal sentiment too much etc. When you are well guided by your thought process, you are more likely to make informed decisions thus less likely to cause harm to your fellow man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Check Bank Verification Number - BVN Via Phone / Solar Energy - All You Need To Know / Grand Theft Auto 5 (gta V), Visa 2 Apk + Obb + Data Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.