Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This (55059 Views)

How To Identify An Original Power Bank / I Bought This FIL Power Bank That Look Like A Phone Today. / Powerbank 30000mah Wallet Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by mohemos: 5:36pm On May 31, 2016
Thank you so much, although am a victim but am happy now that I know the real truth.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by guyXander(m): 5:47pm On May 31, 2016
mynd44 people need to know.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Emmach10(m): 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thanks.

Almost fell prey to these trick if not for this thread.
God bless you Mr Poster
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by ibawon(m): 6:31am On Jul 27, 2016
Please take this to the Front page Mods. I tell people at work all ways that this powerbank can't be 30,000 mAh, it's just so impossible at that price and size. Thank OP for letting them know.
SON na Injoo u na go dey pursue, please boycott the sale of this fake sh*t for God's sake.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by WeNoGoDie(m): 10:24am On Jul 27, 2016
Kingbilo:

grin it's also battery and solar power general knowledge. So you can use what I've written here in many different areas

Op, you know much about solar panels. I want to buy original solar Panel. I don't want fall into the pitfall of fake solar panels. Please can you help me. 08054942314. Thanks
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by greggng: 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2016
I am still wondering why some people re still buying power bank. Nepa has steped up their games in my area gowon estate. I light hardly goes off. More importantly the reduced our bills from 15k to 7k which is fair enough for 18hurs light aday
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Emu4life(m): 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2016
Kingbilo:
Ads have started popping up everywhere online for so called "30000mah solar powered battery banks". Some of these powerbanks sellers even went further to claim they had powerbanks with 50000mah worth of charge.. Even 80000mah. To make the offer even sweeter manufacturers of these powerbanks have added "solar charging" to the mix. All this tech is combined with prices so low make the devices sound like manna from heaven. This post will investigate some of the claims of said powerbanks to see how true these numbers really are..

Capacity.

Almost all rechargeable batteries used in powerbanks are lithium batteries
The unspoken truth about powerbanks and mobile batteries (especially lithium) in general is that the tech has started reach a plateau in terms of size to charge capacity in the past few years. As such, you can roughly estimate the capacity of a lithium battery just by looking at its size. Given this moderate assumption it's about right to say a 30000mah battery fitted in a power bank should be 10 times as large as your typical phone battery. However most of the powerbanks we see today claiming to hold up to 30000mAh of charge are small enough to fit in your pocket. In reality, a battery of that capacity should look at least 3 to 4 times as large as a moderately sized phone
Before you buy a powerbank always ask yourself . "Is the rated capacity of this powerbank realistic?"

Now let's open a typical 30000mah solar power bank sold in Nigeria to see the true capacity of the battery inside.

As you can see from the images above, the powerbank contains just two 2400mah batteries for a combined capacity of 4800mah. Not the 30000mah advertised. The true capacity has been inflated more than 6 times over. For a little perspective, let me tell you the capacity of the typical single AA battery.. 2400mAh ! .This so called 30000mah has no more capacity than two regular finger batteries you can buy from any store.

Solar charging.

By now I guess some of you are thinking. "Well, it has solar charging so even if the capacity isn't large enough I can just harness my free sunlight to keep my phone charged 24/7"

As to whether the solar panel charges the batteries at all, I cannot confirm. You do see a set of LEDs on the side of this particular powerbank light up when the solar panel is under direct sunlight.. So you are thinking..."something must be charging right?"

Not necessarily.

For the science inclined, let's do a little rough calculation here to see why a solar panel that small is basically a waste of time (you can skip if you just want the results)

Long and short, factoring in sunlight availability and electrical losses, you probably will not be able to charge this powerbank by solar electricity. In fact the LED charging lights will probably suck all the current produced by the solar panel just to indicate that it is charging undecided

Conclusion

Before you buy any powerbanks please ensure you have a good grasp of the content of what you are buying.
Buy from reputable brand names and don't fall for this solar charging gimmick. It doesn't work well enough to be viable.

There are larger portable panels that do work,

however they are difficult to come by in Nigeria.

Please share with friends so they don't get sucked into the same gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDTTz_ftj3E

Oga dz too plenty nah...its educative though
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Thukzee01(m): 2:06pm On Jul 27, 2016
nice one op
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 27, 2016
Kingbilo:
Ads have started popping up everywhere online for so called "30000mah solar powered battery banks". Some of these powerbanks sellers even went further to claim they had powerbanks with 50000mah worth of charge.. Even 80000mah. To make the offer even sweeter manufacturers of these powerbanks have added "solar charging" to the mix. All this tech is combined with prices so low make the devices sound like manna from heaven. This post will investigate some of the claims of said powerbanks to see how true these numbers really are..

Capacity.

Almost all rechargeable batteries used in powerbanks are lithium batteries
The unspoken truth about powerbanks and mobile batteries (especially lithium) in general is that the tech has started reach a plateau in terms of size to charge capacity in the past few years. As such, you can roughly estimate the capacity of a lithium battery just by looking at its size. Given this moderate assumption it's about right to say a 30000mah battery fitted in a power bank should be 10 times as large as your typical phone battery. However most of the powerbanks we see today claiming to hold up to 30000mAh of charge are small enough to fit in your pocket. In reality, a battery of that capacity should look at least 3 to 4 times as large as a moderately sized phone
Before you buy a powerbank always ask yourself . "Is the rated capacity of this powerbank realistic?"

Now let's open a typical 30000mah solar power bank sold in Nigeria to see the true capacity of the battery inside.

As you can see from the images above, the powerbank contains just two 2400mah batteries for a combined capacity of 4800mah. Not the 30000mah advertised. The true capacity has been inflated more than 6 times over. For a little perspective, let me tell you the capacity of the typical single AA battery.. 2400mAh ! .This so called 30000mah has no more capacity than two regular finger batteries you can buy from any store.

Solar charging.

By now I guess some of you are thinking. "Well, it has solar charging so even if the capacity isn't large enough I can just harness my free sunlight to keep my phone charged 24/7"

As to whether the solar panel charges the batteries at all, I cannot confirm. You do see a set of LEDs on the side of this particular powerbank light up when the solar panel is under direct sunlight.. So you are thinking..."something must be charging right?"

Not necessarily.

For the science inclined, let's do a little rough calculation here to see why a solar panel that small is basically a waste of time (you can skip if you just want the results)

Long and short, factoring in sunlight availability and electrical losses, you probably will not be able to charge this powerbank by solar electricity. In fact the LED charging lights will probably suck all the current produced by the solar panel just to indicate that it is charging undecided

Conclusion

Before you buy any powerbanks please ensure you have a good grasp of the content of what you are buying.
Buy from reputable brand names and don't fall for this solar charging gimmick. It doesn't work well enough to be viable.

There are larger portable panels that do work,

however they are difficult to come by in Nigeria.

Please share with friends so they don't get sucked into the same gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDTTz_ftj3E

The solar power bank is fake...
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Patented: 2:11pm On Jul 27, 2016
OP u try!! I never trusted those solar chargers anyway. any powerbank above 10,000. mah scares me. I bought my Xiaomi 10kmah from gearbest and it seems to work just fine. i never buy powerbanks from roadsides. FIl makes some good ones too
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by infocomconsult(m): 2:25pm On Jul 27, 2016
thanks

Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by iykenathan162(m): 2:32pm On Jul 27, 2016
op thank uoo

that was how I wasted #500 on charger that uses finger (radio) battery, in ended up in my dust bin after 2 days.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by tomdon(m): 2:35pm On Jul 27, 2016
good job op
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by 9jatatafo(m): 2:35pm On Jul 27, 2016
Technological scam. I don't trust this white people in anything. Can cheat us with the help of our greedy importers and government officials who make policies
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by ITbomb(m): 2:36pm On Jul 27, 2016
NIS that is supposed to check all these in the market are virtually non-existent
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by meltiplexer: 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2016
Nice one,did anyone have idea of how much i can a solar that can work with a television and like 2 bulbs. Naijabet man say so
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by hucienda: 2:50pm On Jul 27, 2016
Wow ... what a thread!

Incisive and thoroughly educative! A shame this has been here since October last before being brought to FP. lalasticlala and crew why so?

OP, good job!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by dollaflow(m): 3:03pm On Jul 27, 2016
any time I want to import flash drive or power bank, my supplier always ask that do u want real capacity, what brand name do u want us to write on it, that is where d issue arise
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 27, 2016
Kingbilo:

It's not possible to know for sure. But if you buy a known brand, from a reputable retailer you should get a good deal. Also refer to what I have said above about the size. Use your battery to estimate the probable size of the power bank.. For example, if the size of your phone battery is 2800mah and you want to buy an 8000mah pb, the pb should be about 3-4 times as large as your battery.. Just do rough estimates.

Any powerbanks above 20000mAh will be larger than you can put in your pocket
Very true, the 16500mAh i got in japan cant even fit in my pocket
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Nelson21(m): 3:11pm On Jul 27, 2016
RobinHez:
Dont ever Order your 30,000mah power banks from Jumia for only #3000 undecided

And plz dont Check my signature...

*messes outta thread*
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by richard870(m): 3:15pm On Jul 27, 2016
Nyc one Op.But let me quickly chip this in, battery cells can be compressed in order to have a smaller and compact form factor
What this basically means is that you can't just look @ a batter size and guess the capacity looking alone cuz you neva can tell d kind of cell it possess.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by itoese(m): 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2016
Thank you for the enlightenment.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by CallofDuty(m): 3:25pm On Jul 27, 2016
So then,which is the best powerbank to buy..
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Greatzeus(m): 3:26pm On Jul 27, 2016
...Lead us not in chinko,but deliver us from china grin
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Obynolee(f): 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2016
Ameboperoo:

Did u read at all or u r just trying to be mischievious?

There is nothing like mischief here,that is what Nigerians want(fake).I did a complete 10000mAh and labelled it so but my neighbour who built 6000mAh and labelled it 30000mAh sales faster thanI I,in fact, the time that I used to sell 5pcs,he will use it to sell 100pcs,so,it is either you leave the market for them or you join them.

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by Obynolee(f): 3:45pm On Jul 27, 2016
abrahym:
You don spoil market for some people

No,he didn't spoil market because what he is advocating is not in Nigeria, even when you finds it,even the Op will not go for it.
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by drake2(m): 3:51pm On Jul 27, 2016
This is great. Though, have not contemplated buying.
But I love the presentation. OP must be real good in imparting knowledge.
My very High Regards!
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by aytuns(m): 4:08pm On Jul 27, 2016
Very enlightening piece... Thank you
Re: Before You Buy A "30000mah Solar Power Bank", Read This by mu2sa2: 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2016
I have wasted my money before on a couple of so-called power banks. I came across this one and, enticed by its rugged built, i went online for more information about it. "Proda ( designed in hong kong, made in china) 10000 mah" is written on the back of it, but it's so faint that it's barely readable even with a magnifier. I thank God that my 6k isn't wasted, for the power bank is super. It charges overtime, but once fully charged it charges my phone with 2150mah battery many times. For now i've solved the issue of power bank.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See Why “Aunty Esther” Is Trending / Blackberry Messenger (BBM) Dies Today, Goodbye Blackberry Messenger / Mobile Ebooks/Educational Resources Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.