Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

I Need A Publisher - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Need A Publisher (1288 Views)

Getting A Publisher Is Still D Problem! / My Meeting With A Publisher / I Need A Publisher For My Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Publisher by viquetoria(f): 2:24pm On Apr 22, 2009
Please I need a Publisher.
Hello everyone i am a young lady filled with lots of potentials and great writing talent. I have two major novels (fiction) which are just lying around in my living room. I joined nairaland very recently and i am making use of this opportunity to link with other likeminded people and also to break out.
So this is it I want to publish my books and i need not just any publisher but a honest and reliable Publisher or rather a good International Publishing Company. Any ideas please? I would really appreciate it,
Thanks,
Re: I Need A Publisher by Oluti(m): 9:56am On May 02, 2009
Viquetoria’
Writing is a profession that needs patience and perseverance for one to succeed. Even when you do, the pecuniary reward is so disappointing it can discourage anyone that is into it for the money. It is not like the music profession where you can become a millionaire overnight. First, are you into writing because you think it can provide you with the comfort of life? If you are, better perish the thought.  Few writers get to achieve the feat of getting rich, even in America. You don’t believe me. Go to Ask.com and ask the relevant questions. You’ll be amazed at the answers you’ll get.

I am not trying to discourage you but I don’t want you to have false hope like I did. I am comfortable today not from my books sales but from what I made before I retired from National Oil now known as Conoil.

I don’t know how good you are but you have to be good before you can get a publisher for you books. First I’ll advise you to get some writing software that will take your writing to near perfection. The best for now is AutoCrit but it is online writing software. Another is Whitesmoke which is online too. If you want an offline tool, then StyleWriter is the best for you. Although it is the most expensive out of the lot, it is the one I use because I am not always on the net.

Join a writing group like Agent Connect where you can post your writing for critique. A writing group will give you a frank but sometimes brutal assessment of your work. You can also post your work into bloggs where many people can see it. If you don’t know which blogg to use, you can type my name Ajibola Oluti on google. It will show you some of the blogg where I posted my work. You can begin to use them too.

If you think you are good and need to see your work in print in a hurry, Lulu is where you can achieve that aim.

Good luck and God bless
Re: I Need A Publisher by Ahasuerus: 4:19pm On May 02, 2009
Viquetoria, I'm happy you are interested in writing too. I do not like to see writing as a profession. Its something you have to love- it requires hard work. If you have completed your two books as you have said, then I'll advise you continue to perfect it.

Do not rush into publishing deals as there are many fraudsters. There's Kachifo publishers- i think they first published Adichie's book. But there are definitely several better publishers. Keep on searching. Be patient.GOOD LUCK
Re: I Need A Publisher by Joan4427(f): 11:39pm On May 02, 2009
Hi Viquetoria,

Ahaseurus and Oluti have both provided very sound advice. But in order for you to move on and be persistent with your writing, you need a few more resources that should help advance your writing career and connect you with agents/publishers.

Here is the link for AutoCrit as recommended by Oluti above: http://www.autocrit.com/

You should also check out this great writing forum, to meet other authors and network: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/

Another forum dedicated to just writing and critiquing by authors and writing profesionals: http://www.critiquecircle.com/

Finally, when you are ready to start submitting your work to agents and publishers, here are the two best links for that:
http://www.querytracker.net/
http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

I must tell you that many talent scouts frequent these forums in hopes of harvesting new and fresh writers. A few of the writers we have at Bernard Books Publishing were signed-up that way, two of them being Nona David and Mundy Mill.

All the best to you dear.

Joan Peck
Re: I Need A Publisher by viquetoria(f): 5:32pm On May 26, 2009
Thank You!!!

I want to say a big thank you to Oluti, Ahasuerus and Joan Peck. I have gained a whole lot from your invaluable words of advice.
I really appreciate it and i feel more encouraged now that i know i'm not alone and that there are people willing to provide me with support.

Many Thanks

Viquetoria
Re: I Need A Publisher by jasonbod(m): 2:21pm On May 28, 2009
Go take a look at self publishing with http://www.lulu.com (a Canadian publisher). It's completely free and it will come out in paperback.
Re: I Need A Publisher by ekoree: 7:21pm On Nov 12, 2009
Hoofbeatdotcom Publishers has recently entered into a strategic alliance with one of the world's largest wholesale distributor of books. We offer creative writers and authors the opportunity, not only to have their books published, but distributed worldwide, through this network. We have a special offer for Nigerian writers.
If you have interest, E-mail
Dotcomhoofbeat@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Uncliched; A Short Story (please Critique)! / The Latest:nigerian Book Publishing, Writing And Marketing. / The King, His Minister And His Dogs - A Short Inspirational Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.