Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows (2355 Views)

Apostle Suleman & Wife, Lizzy Loved Up Like Never Before In New Photos / Rhapsody Of Realities Teevo - A Daily Devotional For Teens / Global Study Shows Many Scientists Are Religious,dispellling Conflict As Myth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by menesheh(m): 1:04pm On Oct 06, 2015
Teens are fleeing religion like never before: Massive new study exposes religion’s decline

Religion is rapidly losing the youngest generation of Americans, according to new research.

America’s rising generation of adults are the least religiously observant of any generation in six decades, determined an expansive study led by Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State.
“Unlike previous studies, ours is able to show that millennials’ lower religious involvement is due to cultural change, not to millennials being young and unsettled,” Twenge says in a San Diego State University news release. .

In one of the largest studies ever conducted on Americans’ religious involvement, researchers from Case Western Reserve University and the University of Georgia collaborated with Twenge and her colleagues in California to analyze data from four national surveys of U.S. adolescents between the ages of 13 and 18. The surveys were taken between 1966 and 2014, and include responses from some 11.2 million people.

The researchers’ findings were published this month in PLOS One.

According to Twenge and her cohorts, today’s adolescents view religion as less important, report less “approval” of religious organizations, and spend less time on prayer than did their similarly-aged predecessors. Compared to their peers in the late 1970s, 75 percent more American 12th graders, the paper finds, believe that religion is “not important at all” in their lives.

Twenge cites a surge of individualism as the force behind atheism’s relative appeal to a young, self-centric generation. She’s literally written the book on the subject: “Generation Me.” In it, Twenge provides academic rationale to support the allegation that children born in the 1980s and 1990s form an “Entitlement Generation,” which she describes as being “tolerant, confident, open-minded, and ambitious but also disengaged, narcissistic, distrustful, and anxious.”

“These trends are part of a larger cultural context, a context that is often missing in polls about religion,” Twenge says. “One context is rising individualism in U.S. culture. Individualism puts the self first, which doesn’t always fit well with the commitment to the institution and other people that religion often requires. As Americans become more individualistic, it makes sense that fewer would commit to religion.”

The study also notes an “increasing acknowledgment that religion is not consistent with scientific understanding” could be driving adolescents away from religion. It is possible that “debates about teaching creationism or intelligent design in U.S. schools, such as those in Kansas in 2005, pushed some young people away from religion,” Twenge and her colleagues write in the study.

The generational decline of religion’s appeal in America has been documented in other studies as well, including one published last year by Massachusetts computer scientist Allen Downey. Downey’s conclusion as to why Americans are turning to atheism contrasts with Twenge’s, however. As noted by the MIT Technology review, Downey finds unprecedented access to information afforded by the Internet to be a major factor in determining a person’s inclination to embrace religion. The Internet, Downey argues, could be as significant a variable as childhood religious upbringing in influencing an individual’s spiritual outcomes.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/teens-are-fleeing-religion-like-never-before-massive-new-study-exposes-religions-decline/

1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by djcliff(m): 1:07pm On Oct 06, 2015
u mean the opium did not get true them? this one is strong
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by Krystalzkris(f): 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
good news...

1 Like

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 1:25pm On Oct 06, 2015
Very good news. We need more people to think we their heads and not rely on the "wisdom" of men who believed in flying horses and virgin births undecided

4 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by kolajamesjnr(m): 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2015
people are stating to use their brain instead of letting some ancient book do it for them cheesy cool

2 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by menesheh(m): 1:38pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:
Very good news. We need more people to think we their heads and not rely on the "wisdom" of men who believed in flying horses and virgin births undecided

How dare a particular generation that existed in a time within times dictate what we should be doing in our own time by evoking supernatural and eternal punishment in order to make the rest of other generations to hold on to such idea by force.

Hit "share" if you believe that it's Absurd.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 1:43pm On Oct 06, 2015
menesheh:

How dare a particular generation that existed in a time within times dictate what we should be doing in our own time by evoking supernatural and eternal punishment in order to make the rest of other generations to hold on to such idea by force.

Hit "share" if you believe that it is Absurd.

We should blame those who choose to force the youths of this generation to conform to these idiotic and antic beliefs. angry

2 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by tartar9(m): 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2015
you mean fleeing xtianity like never before

3 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 2:37pm On Oct 06, 2015
tartar9:
you mean fleeing xtianity like never before

The only thing keeping muslims in Islam is the fear of apostasy. I really don't know why Allah will threathen his creation into believing in him. Like we have to be threatened to believe the sun exists undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by tartar9(m): 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

The only thing keeping muslims in Islam is the fear of apostasy. I really don't know why Allah will threathen his creation into believing in him. Like we have to be threatened to believe the sun exists undecided
you're just assuming,thats not true
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 3:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
tartar9:
you're just assuming,thats not true

Really? undecided

Islam promises death to whoever chooses to leave it's fold. Is that an assumption or fact?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 3:20pm On Oct 06, 2015
This is not news, youths have been fleeing religion since the bible times. This is the time when they are most strong and most physical and feel they can do anything. They rebel against their parents and they rebel against society. Its only logical that thy would rebel against religion as well. that is why even the bible admonishes people to remember God in the time of their youth when they are the most strongest because even then thousands of years ago the youths were bound to rebel from laid down laws.

Ecclesiastes 12:1 NLT
Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, "Life is not pleasant anymore."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 3:51pm On Oct 06, 2015
RiloKiley:
This is not news, youths have been fleeing religion since the bible times. This is the time when they are most strong and most physical and feel they can do anything. They rebel against their parents and they rebel against society. Its only logical that thy would rebel against religion as well. that is why even the bible admonishes people to remember God in the time of their youth when they are the most strongest because even then thousands of years ago the youths were bound to rebel from laid down laws.

Ecclesiastes 12:1 NLT
Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, "Life is not pleasant anymore."

The concept of god is gradually becoming obselete as it has not been able to prove itself and it is becoming more and more obvious that the only benefit of religion is to enrich GOs.

By the way, why are you quoting from the old testament? I thought the old testament is null and void to Christians? undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by tartar9(m): 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

Really? undecided

Islam promises death to whoever chooses to leave it's fold. Is that an assumption or fact?
there may be apostasy laws but you assumed that's what keeping people from leaving Islam.
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2015
tartar9:
there may be apostasy laws but you assumed that's what keeping people from leaving Islam.

What's keeping people from leaving Islam then?
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by Shollyps(m): 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

The concept of god is gradually becoming obselete as it has not been able to prove itself and it is becoming more and more obvious that the only benefit of religion is to enrich GOs.

By the way, why are you quoting from the old testament? I thought the old testament is null and void to Christians? undecided
I tire for them o...but wen it comes to killing,destroying cities... then it is old covenant...double standard if I will say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by Shollyps(m): 5:02pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

probably the 7virgins in heaven

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by myads890(m): 5:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
Shollyps:
probably the 7virgins in heaven

Lol
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by tartar9(m): 6:28pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

and what makes you think Muslims want to leave Islam
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

The Christian faith represents approximately one third of the world's population and is the largest religion in the world. Catholics alone make up 1.09billion members worldwide. Your statement about God being obsolete is either culled out of ignorance or scepticism

As per the old testament, One cannot know where one is going to if one doesn't know where he is coming from.

3 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 6:55pm On Oct 06, 2015
tartar9:
and what makes you think Muslims want to leave Islam

It is rude to reply a question with a question undecided
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 7:07pm On Oct 06, 2015
RiloKiley:

The Christian faith represents approximately one third of the world's population and is the largest religion in the world. Catholics alone make up 1.09billion members worldwide. Your statement about God being obsolete is either culled out of ignorance or scepticism

As per the old testament, One cannot know where one is going to if one doesn't know where he is coming from.

Those figures represent the amount of people who follow the Christian religion blindly due to the fact that they have been indoctrinated with the lies, false hope and belief attached to the religion.. When I said god is obselete I was referring to the concept of god. If I have malaria, for instance, and I pray to god expecting a miracle, there is a 90% chance I will die because the last time god performed any miracle was over 2000 years ago. However, with the aid of N100 amalar I can get rid of the malaria.

This analogy renders god useless because since it can't do what it's meant for then it is an unnecessary waste of time.

More people will continue to realise this and that means more people will begin to abandon these false teachings. Unfortunately, there are many in the world who cling to these fairy tales and that is majorly because they have been taught as truth instead of as what they really are. Lies.

The old testament is just another evidence of god's incompetence. For an entity who claims it is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, it sure has the tendencies to make mistakes and tries to excuse it's incompetence.

That is if it is even real undecided

2 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 7:07pm On Oct 06, 2015
Shollyps:
I tire for them o...but wen it comes to killing,destroying cities... then it is old covenant...double standard if I will say

Matt 5: 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The old testament world was a brutal world. If the Israelites had turned the other cheek then they would have been wiped out many times over. Also the isrealites were a stubborn people and needed stringent laws to guide them. In the new testament the emphasis is on love. These new breed of "Israelites" are called "Christians."

2 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by Scholar8200(m): 7:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
Who can objectively establish tangible benefits gained by the youths/society concerned?

3 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 7:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

Those figures represent the amount of people who follow the Christian religion blindly due to the fact that they have been indoctrinated with the lies, false hope and belief attached to the religion.. When I said god is obselete I was referring to the concept of god. If I have malaria, for instance, and I pray to god expecting a miracle, there is a 90% chance I will die because the last time god performed any miracle was over 2000 years ago. However, with the aid of N100 amalar I can get rid of the malaria.

This analogy renders god useless because since it can't do what it's meant for then it is an unnecessary waste of time.

More people will continue to realise this and that means more people will begin to abandon these false teachings. Unfortunately, there are many in the world who cling to these fairy tales and that is majorly because they have been taught as truth instead of as what they really are. Lies.

The old testament is just another evidence of god's incompetence. For an entity who claims it is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, it sure has the tendencies to make mistakes and tries to excuse it's incompetence.

That is if it is even real undecided

Believe whatever makes you happy. The idea of God being obsolete has been there for centuries yet belief in God just gets stronger as the years go by. Despite all the persecutions and nay-sayings and laws against Christians, the love for God simply refuses to die. The facts I gave you were google facts. Your facts however you pulled out of your head to make a point. Either way it doesn't matter. The love for God increases in the hearts of the faithful day by day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by Shollyps(m): 7:17pm On Oct 06, 2015
RiloKiley:

Matt 5: 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The old testament world was a brutal world. If the Israelites had turned the other cheek then they would have been wiped out many times over. Also the isrealites were a stubborn people and needed stringent laws to guide them. In the new testament the emphasis is on love. These new breed of "Israelites" are called "Christians."
so you mean God changed?. .but I thought one of his attribute is immutability ...so he is now more. gentle n loving than before?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
RiloKiley:

Believe whatever makes you happy. The idea of God being obsolete has been there for centuries yet belief in God just gets stronger as the years go by. Despite all the persecutions and nay-sayings and laws against Christians, the love for God simply refuses to die. The facts I gave you were google facts. Your facts however you pulled out of your head to make a point. Either way it doesn't matter. The love for God increases in the hearts of the faithful day by day.

Lol. @bolded, god refuses to live.

And you theists are stuck in a delusion.

When one person suffers from a delusion he is mentally ill but when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
Shollyps:
so you mean God changed?. .but I thought one of his attribute is immutability ...so he is now more. gentle n loving than before?

God didnt change. He simply brought out a part of himself that hadn't been seen before (Jesus Christ). The Pharisees had made a mess of the old testament. they now worshipped the law instead of worshipping God. the 10commandments were meant to bring the people closer to God but because of the hardness of thier hearts it drove them further away instead. God's 10commandments in the old testament can be summarised into the 2 commandments of the new:

MArk 12:29-31
29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

3 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 7:32pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

Lol. @bolded, god refuses to live.

And you theists are stuck in a delusion.

When one person suffers from a delusion he is mentally ill but when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

If being mentally ill means loving my neighbour, doing good to those around me and bringing as much love as I can into the world, then I'd rather be mentally ill for the rest of my life.

2 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 7:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
RiloKiley:

If being mentally ill means loving my neighbour, doing good to those around me and bringing as much love as I can into the world, then I'd rather be mentally ill for the rest of my life.

Believing in a god that only lives in your imagination is mental illness.

Morality has nothing to do with religion. The traits you described are exhibited by non Christians and atheists alike. Afterall, Hitler was a Christian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by RiloKiley: 8:00pm On Oct 06, 2015
hahn:

Believing in a god that only lives in your imagination is mental illness.

Morality has nothing to do with religion. The traits you described are exhibited by non Christians and atheists alike. Afterall, Hitler was a Christian.

MAtt 7:15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Morality is religion. Abraham Lincoln was one of the greatest leaders in the world and he was a christian. So were very many others too numerous to count.
Anyone can call themselves Christians. It is only those who practice true Christianity that are the sons of God and true followers of Christ.

Matt 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Teens Are Fleeing Religion Like Never Before: Massive New Study Shows by hahn(m): 8:08pm On Oct 06, 2015
RiloKiley:

MAtt 7:15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Morality is religion. Abraham Lincoln was one of the greatest leaders in the world and he was a christian. So were very many others too numerous to count.
Anyone can call themselves Christians. It is only those who practice true Christianity that are the sons of God and true followers of Christ.

Matt 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

At the end of the day you are still going to end up in the "hell" fire of over 5000 other religions. Good luck

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheism Is A Self- Contradictory And Illogical Concept / Jesus Christ, The Myths And The Fraud / Reality Evangelism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.