Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months (761 Views)

Civilian JTF Arrests Four Terror Suspects At Maiduguri Motor Park / More Arrrests In Thailand For Drug / Ndlea Arrests Four Igbo Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by jona2: 11:51pm On Apr 22, 2009
NDLEA arrrests 38 drug suspects at Lagos Airport in 3 months
Adelowo Oladipo, Lagos - updated: Tuesday 21-04-2009

[b]Ego Prince AnthonyTHE Chairman and Chief Ezecutive, NDLEA Mallam Ahmadu Giade has said that 38 youths,which made up of 35 males and 3 females were nabbed at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos between January and March 2009.

This was contained in a Press statement, signed by Mitchel Ofoyeju, Head, Public Affairs Department of the Anti-Drugs Organisation, obtained at the werekend by the Crime and Security, in Lagos.

He added that total of 132.185 kilogrammes of narcotic drugs with an estimated street value of over 182 million naira were also seized by the airport command within the same period.

Giade however noted that Cannabis had the biggest chunk of the seizures with 74.303 kilogrammes, follwed by Cocaine, with 45.57 kilogrammes and heroin 12.312 kilogrammes.

According to the Anti-Drugs Czar, “the youths must see themselves as stakeholders in drug control. They must resist any attempt by drug barons to lure them into prison and scuttle their ambition. When drug barons or their agents come to you to smuggle drug, expose them to the NDLEA and be handsomely rewarded”

He stressed that in the first quarter of 2008, that the MMIA Command allegedly arrested 40 suspected drug traffickers and was said to have seized 113.220 kilogrammes of narcotics, adding that Cocaine was highest with 67.817 kilogrammes; cannabis is 44.970 kilogrammes and heroin 0.433 grammes.

Meanwhile, the NDLEA commander at the Lagos airport, Mr. Victor Cole-Showers said that “the last two suspects, allegedly arrested at the Lagos airport in the month of March were Ego Prince Anthony, 31, and Ibgoanuzue Christian, 39.

"They both ingested wraps of substances that tested positive for cocaine.”

According to him, Ego with passport and ticket numbers A0024518 and 07444495706784 was said to have been caught on March 29 at about 21:20 hours at the central screening point.

'He ingested 95 wraps of substances weighing 1.960 kilogrammes which he wanted to smuggle to Hamburg. He confessed to have swallowed the drugs in a hotel." said he.

However the suspect was quoted to have said that “they promised to pay me 4,000 Euros. I had wanted to use the money to bury my late mother who is now in the mortuary. My younger ones do not even know my whereabouts. I used to sell motor spare parts but I lost everything”

Similarly,Igboanuzue Ndubueze Christian, 39, a spare parts dealer was arrested on March 29, at the central screening area at about 2045 hours.

The suspect, according to the NDLEA, was said to be holding passport number A0984726 and ticket number 0749611081116 was allegedly found to have ingested 95 wraps of substance that tested positive for cocaine weighing 1.903 kilogrammes.

Igboanuzue,said to be a resident of Leo Street, Ojo Barracks Lagos allgedly confessed that he wanted to enhance his business with the 3,000 Euros that his alleged sponsors promised to pay him.

"His final destination was Dusseldorf. The suspect also said that he hails from Oraifite in Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra State. The two suspects will be charged to court," said Ofoyeju

[/b]

http://www.tribune.com.ng/22042009/tue/crime3.html
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by MrCrackles(m): 9:44am On Apr 25, 2009
Drug peddlers no dey hear word!

Serves them all right
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by ElRazur: 10:31am On Apr 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

Drug peddlers no dey hear word!

Serves them all right

Perhaps if there is a slight increase in amount people live on in a day, an increase in GDP and other things, perhaps we shall see a drop in number of people seeing the need to get rich this way. Let's not forget that these things are happening as a result of various combination. One of them is poverty.
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by oderemo(m): 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2009
One of them is poverty

you are right. but the stake in thedrug trade is too high for people to resist. how do you think our so called billionaire got their money from? how come its so DIFFICULT to prosecute the barons. even in the states its becoming a loss battle. pls read the resent ndlea report and see for yourself.
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by DisGuy: 1:40pm On Apr 25, 2009
I think the time they start using local/international television to name and shame these peddlers
the big guys will continue to get people willing to carry these things
And when will the NDLEA wake up and to actually investigating the men behind the scenes
surely promising one of those arrested N1m will turn them into a snitch!!
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by tombola: 1:43pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

Perhaps if there is a slight increase in amount people live on in a day, an increase in GDP and other things, perhaps we shall see a drop in number of people seeing the need to get rich this way. Let's not forget that these things are happening as a result of various combination. One of them is poverty.

Na wa o - the way some people reason is just out of the ordinary. So because they are hungry, they are right to resort to drug peddling? Have you seen these kingpins and drug peddlers and talk to them? Do they tell you it is hunger that pushed them to do what they did? Poverty! So all of the poor people in Nigeria should resort to drug peddling and various crimes to live right? Your thinking makes me want to poo in your nose, if the hole is big enough.
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by ElRazur: 1:52pm On Apr 25, 2009
tombola:

Na wa o - the way some people reason is just out of the ordinary. So because they are hungry, they are right to resort to drug peddling? Have you seen these kingpins and drug peddlers and talk to them? Do they tell you it is hunger that pushed them to do what they did? Poverty! So all of the poor people in Nigeria should resort to drug peddling and various crimes to live right? Your thinking makes me want to poo in your nose, if the hole is big enough.

I am not gonna start a war of words with you. But instead allow me to show you how wrong your points are.

With poverty comes desperation and with desperation comes the need to do anything. These drug peddlers arrested at your local airports are not the big guns running things, they are merely people who are used by the King pin to get the job done.

A good example to illustrate this is the Somalian boy that is now being tried for Piracy against the US. He is only 16 and he was used by someone who is the King pin behind all of these. The boy only got involved as a result of the offers and promise of a good lifestyle.

It is well known that in poverty, people are much more gullible and will do something they normally wouldn't do if the situation is different.

To deny a link between poverty and drugs pushing is just silly. Maybe you should look at Afghanistan and do some research.
Re: Ndlea Arrrests 38 Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport In 3 Months by georgecso(m): 1:59pm On Apr 25, 2009
Let's not forget that these things are happening as a result of various combination. One of them is poverty.

Extreme Poverty is a hydra headed monster bro

(1) (Reply)

Osun State Indian Hemp Economy! Tipa Stop Takin It? / Bankole Vacates Seat For Passenger / 49 Nigerians Stole N143.6bn Public Funds - Efcc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.