Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,378 members, 7,954,538 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:36 PM

Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber (595 Views)

Soldier Defusing Landmines On A Road In Borno (photo) / Boko Haram Landmines Kill 5 In Yobe , 9 Injured / Buhari Delivering Speech At An Event Organised By US Chamber Of Commerce (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 09, 2015
In today’s Nigeria, it’s no time to sit on the fence. Hence the re-engineering currently going on in the nation’s body polity suffers another debilitating blow like it happened post June 12, 1993 election. Twice, the genuine effort to reposition the country for greatness fell into wrong hands and we continue to begin again. Pro-democracy activism against the jackboot of the brutal military politicians which eventually gave birth to the present republic lost a long 16 locust years because the democracy advocates dropped their guards and left the scene for those who spent all their time in the lobby while the struggles lasted. The activists were celebrating their victory over the khaki boys; the politicians of old were strategising and taking over the political territory.

Since the Senate President Bukola Saraki officially un-wrapped the much-awaited list of ministerial nominees Tuesday October 6, the interrogation has been fierce, forceful, ludicrous, laughable and at times weird. To this coin of who becomes a cabinet member of the Buhari administration, there are many sides. Having taken four months to put faces behind the long names being bandied about, it is not unexpected the amount of sarcastic comments that greeted the partial list. The social media, the traditional media and every other available platform have been awash with opinions. Without implying disrespect to any of the commentators, I have found some informed; others no-too-informed and a large number grossly uninformed.

Just like employing the service of a renowned football coach whose antecedent is not in any doubt, with a promise to give him a free hand to choose his team, I am one of millions of Nigerians who are ready to concede anything to the retired general in his quest to paddle the country out of the ditch. I have never joined the queue in expectation of angels who would be the next ministers.

Perhaps this has helped in moderating my expectations. In all honesty, I waited for anyone including an import if the constitution permits. I even expected surprises like Okonjo-Iweala, Abba Moro, Bala Mohammed, Labaran Maku, Stella Oduah and Dieziani Alison-Madueke. This is as long as Muhammadu Buhari will remain the president. How else to prove some of us right that the nation will do well with a leader who is not lacking in spine, and ready to lead from the front.

It is against this background that the list of ministerial nominees is alright by me. The individuals whose names were reeled out on the floor of the senate last Tuesday are men and women of history of achievements. The politicians among them have proved to be dogged fighters, cerebral and popular. For a president who seems to be more feared than loved, governance will become luster-lacking if he decides to surround himself by an anonymous team.

We are in an era in which critics, petitions and protest letters are not in short supply. The days ahead will witness a deluge of such landmines on the paths of many of the names in the partial list. And the question to ask is: what is the motive behind some of these petitions? Your guess is as good as mine. I give my respect to a handful of them from the human rights community and respectable non-state actors. However, the nation will see a good number of ambush activism by some yesterday’s men who are still disgruntled by their dramatic ouster.

On the floor of the senate, the screening exercise presents the embattled senate president Bukola Saraki with two options: either to swim or sink. If I were in his shoes, I will willingly stand by the people. It is a golden opportunity to battle his traducers to their knees. It is time for him to win back his lost friends and have his ‘sins’ forgiven. He needs Nigerians’ approval rating more than that of his co-conspirators in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) or his estranged All Peoples Congress (APC). If Nigerians decide to sing his triumphal song, then either of the party will curry his favour and scramble to have him on their side. He should not make the screening look like it’s time to pay his political foes back in their own coin. Saraki should do the ground work. He should do Ita Enang’s work for him. He (Saraki) stands to be the short, medium and long term beneficiary of this effort.

My reference to the people of Nigeria may be subjective to a number of people in the opposition. But in this onerous task of rebuilding Nigeria, it is obvious that the majority, home and abroad, are on the same page with the present government. This is not to discountenance the dissenting voices whose opinions provide an alternative as true democracy professes. Nevertheless, let us not lose sight of the existence of a possible point of convergence.

The words of Pandit Nehru, an Indian national leader and statesman, and first prime minister of India (1947-1964) come to mind at this material time. In his speech delivered in the constituent assembly on August 14, 1947 titled: ‘Tryst and Destiny’, Nehru said:

“A moment comes which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance. It is fitting that at this solemn moment we take the pledge of dedication” to the service of Nigeria and her people and to the still larger cause of humanity. God bless Nigeria.

Source: https://www.today.ng/blog/22985/amaechi-et-al-and-the-landmines-in-the-chamber/
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 09, 2015
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by galadima77(m): 6:35am On Oct 09, 2015
And may God bless you too @OP

Nice piece

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by Bambless1(m): 6:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Lemme Park My Keke Napep For Here grin
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Absolute Rubbish! Another APsh!t apologist. So confused he is not bothered how Nigeria is being governed; good or bad, as long as his Buhari remains president.

What has really happened to Nigerian youths? What's gone wrong?

God help us
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by HerexG(m): 6:40am On Oct 09, 2015
K
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by modath(f): 6:41am On Oct 09, 2015
mryoungdon:

On the floor of the senate, the screening exercise presents the embattled senate president Bukola Saraki with two options: either to swim or sink. If I were in his shoes, I will willingly stand by the people.

It is a golden opportunity to battle his traducers to their knees. It is time for him to win back his lost friends and have his ‘sins’ forgiven. He needs Nigerians’ approval rating more than that of his co-conspirators in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) or his estranged All Peoples Congress (APC).

If Nigerians decide to sing his triumphal song, then either of the party will curry his favour and scramble to have him on their side. He should not make the screening look like it’s time to pay his political foes back in their own coin. Saraki should do the ground work. He should do Ita Enang’s work for him. He (Saraki) stands to be the short, medium and long term beneficiary of this effort.

This is exactly what Saraki will do in order to be perceived as "being the bigger person"...

The man is very smart & just pandering to his loyalists.

Anyone who believes the restrictions set in place, he will not find a way to circumvent the rules to place himself in good standing with the public is a LEARNER.
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by bonechamberlain(m): 6:43am On Oct 09, 2015
undecided
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by jaey(m): 6:46am On Oct 09, 2015
A very good OPINION from an excellent POV
Re: Amaechi Et Al And The Landmines In The Chamber by opalu: 7:21am On Oct 09, 2015
Great advice. I hope they heed it.

(1) (Reply)

“I Remain A Senator” – Kashamu Insists As Tribunal Reads Judgement Monday / Video - Igweocha(ph) I.P.O.B Peaceful Demonstration / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.