Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,105 members, 7,953,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:13 PM

My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules (959 Views)

Ministerial Screening: Amaechi In Make Or Mar Visit To Saraki / How President Buhari Chose The Ministerial Nominees – Garba Shehu / Will Amaechi And Fashola Make The Ministerial List? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by adanny01(m): 9:37am On Oct 09, 2015
As events leading to the screening of ministerial nominees of PMB unfold, many intrigues have come to bare. The main one for me is the one as announced by Senator Dino Melaye on the 8th of October, 2015.

The rule that every ministerial nominee must be endorsed by at least two senators from his/her state will be enforced by the Nigerian senate as the upper chamber prepares to screen prospective cabinet members of PMB’s government.

I am only left to wonder why that is? Are constitutional rules not enough? How constitutional will it be at the end of the exercise when a candidate is disqualified over this rule but has passed every constitutional rule?

This means that those candidates who are not in the good books of Senators from their states will find it difficult no matter how qualified they are or no matter what policy direction the president has. It is completely wrong for personal "beef" of senators and ministerial candidates to show up in the state duty.

My concern is not just for candidates like Amaechi and Fashola who seem to be the direct targets of the rule but for the influence Senators greedily wish to derive from it. With the rule, it makes it compulsory for every ministerial candidate to lobby at least 2 Senators in his state.

Apart from the fact that we know what happens during lobbying processes with regards to bribes and concessions, Senators would have usurped so much power, influence and control over the ministers than it would have been convenient for the ministers to performing their lawful duties after passing the Senate. This rule transfers the influence over ministers which PMB removed from state governors but now forcibly taken by Senators.

If it was a welcomed development for PMB to remove that influence on governors then it is not a welcomed development that the senators take up that same influence.

The only other legitimate reason in my view senators may have for this rule is in relation to a situation where the ministerial candidate constituents reject his nomination. Unfortunately for the senators, the constitution has provided means by which the constituents can voice their grievance using petitions just like Senator Danjuma La'ah has done.

Without any justification for this rule, my opinion is that this 8th Senate needs to be tamed before it gets out of hand.
Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by ricsman(m): 9:49am On Oct 09, 2015
ok oooooo

my thought here is that

if the senators oppose a nominee they have to give reasons for their rejection of which the Senate will have to say I or nay.

since the state didn't contribute to their nomination, then many will be opposed. Ameachi will be opposed fulltime but I believe the Senate knows what's up in Rivers state and will know what to do.

its the SP call so let him answer it as he dime fit

by the way are the nominees going there to represent their state?
Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by FirstCounsel(m): 10:00am On Oct 09, 2015
Permit me to also align myself with your position. Its my view that next election the voting public should pay a closer attention to the quality of candidates going to the national assembly. We need to vote wisely next time because these crop of lawmakers are just selfserving & care less about "us"

1 Like

Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by deking(m): 10:00am On Oct 09, 2015
You points are well articulated.

If Nigerians are sincere they will rise up against this unnecessary grab of power that the Senate intends. The constitution gives them oversight functions after a minister is confirmed so why the need to get endorsement of senators from your state. Will any technocrat we have been clamouring for be able to go through the stress of lobbying senators and still maintain the decorum and decency we intend.

What happens to nominees who may come from the minority and obscure groups within a state. I think the senators have not set the best parameters for screening as they are seeking to politicize the whole screening process.

Let no state or region claim marginalization if their own senators throw spanners in the wheels of progress of their people. It may take PMB another 6 months to find someone suitable from such a state.

2 Likes

Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by adanny01(m): 10:03am On Oct 09, 2015
ricsman:
ok oooooo

my thought here is that

if the senators oppose a nominee they have to give reasons for their rejection of which the Senate will have to say I or nay.

since the state didn't contribute to their nomination, then many will be opposed. Ameachi will be opposed fulltime but I believe the Senate knows what's up in Rivers state and will know what to do.

its the SP call so let him answer it as he dime fit

With this rule, they simply wont need to give any reason. Its like putting up a mini vote where the electorate are 3 senators from the candidate's state and once 2 vote against him, the candidate should kiss his nomination bye.
Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by ricsman(m): 10:11am On Oct 09, 2015
adanny01:

With this rule, they simply wont need to give any reason. Its like putting up a mini vote where the electorate are 3 senators from the candidate's state and once 2 vote against him, the candidate should kiss his nomination bye.

since there is no law backing this rule people may oppose it.

every rule has exception, let's just see how it plays out. hope ur aren't forgetting that SP Saraki is Ameachi friend
Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by advocates: 10:24am On Oct 09, 2015
I hope the senate will not bite more than they can chew. The constitution remain supreme for endorsing or rejecting ministerial nominees and not this schemes Dino and they rest are playing out at.

If a ministerial nominee meets all requirements as contain in the constitution, any other thing by the senate is arrogating an unnecessary power to themselves and an attempt to hit the polity and to scuffle the President's good intentions.

This is a wake up call for Nigerians to show equal passion in the senate election as the presidential election. Because at best, these are men who over the years have shown insatiability for power and money than the very affair of the country.
Re: My Opinion Of The Ministerial Screening Rules by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 09, 2015
God punish senate and house of assembly.my hustle cobtinues

(1) (Reply)

Dss Arrest Biafra Leader (ipob) Nnamdi Kanu / Dasuki Accuses APC, SSS Of Abuse Of Power / Demo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.