Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! (1400 Views)

5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job / 6 Dominant Workplace Trends You Are Likely To Witness In 2017 / 6 Mistakes You Will Likely Make Between Age 20-30 AS A Young Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by livelifeng: 2:09pm On Oct 09, 2015
It’s been said even scientists don’t know the beginning and will never know the end of time. Time is one of human inventions so we have to use it to our benefits. Yea you are right… it’s easier said than done, God is the One who can teach us how to number our days (silently prays).

Ok, let’s move on…

Have you ever set a clear goal and excitedly share with your friends but at the end did not happen?

Talking about goals, everyone has something they set to achieve every day or every now and then depending on their area of fulfilment. There are absolutely nothing wrong setting goals; these are the breakdown of to-dos that aim towards achieving your great goal (your dream).

I define a goal as a clear task you set to achieve at a particular time for a particular purpose. One can set goals to achieve a career dream, to get desired weight, be proficient in something, be closer to God or to be a better person.

The basic thing is we set goals to take us from where we are to where we want to be so this is like a thing to boast off especially with the wide drive in this present generation where everyone wants to be the first to invent and create new things.

Shouldn’t you announce your goals, so friends can support you?

Everyone wants to succeed but why do you choose not to talk about your goals?

The above fact (the heading) is actually true that if you talk about your goals or your plans, you might likely not achieve them.

I re-launched my site yesterday to the shock of most of my friends. I still told them I wasn’t sure when I would reopen the site some days before I did. Does it seem like I’m a dishonest person?

Someone explains to me that whenever she says she wants to achieve something, she believes ‘the devil’ will hear her and work against her plan so she keeps it in her mind and just do it at the exact time she planned.

These are definitely the opinions of most people.

“I don’t want to talk about it because the other person might cast a spell on me”

“No, people are wicked, lets me bottle up my goals and plans”

I haven’t seen the devil yet, but I think our ego is must times the devil here. Even a research found that those who kept their intentions private were more likely to achieve them than those who made them public.

This is the reason,

Once you’ve told people of your intentions, it gives you a “premature sense of completeness.”

You feel like an achiever already. As you talk about it, the image is formed in your brain and your brain tags it as, been done. The author identified it this way; “Since both actions and talk create symbols in your brain, talking satisfies the brain enough that it neglects the pursuit of further symbols.”

You can talk about it without feeling this way depending on who you are telling. I make sure I’m very certain that someone will be of help to achieving my set goal before I spill it out. I just want to work it within me and my God and the result should announce itself.

Also, one feels less burdened and free because no one knows what one is about to do and there is no unnecessary torture just because everyone already knows. This gives you a greater chance to analyse the goal again, redefine it or even cancel it if the need be.

Do you support or oppose? Let’s hear you out

Link: http://livelifeng.com/factfriday-if-you-announce-your-goal-to-others-you-are-less-likely-to-make-them-happen

1 Like

Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by kemlily(f): 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2015
so true smiley
Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by sichri(m): 9:26pm On Oct 09, 2015
livelifeng:
It’s been said even scientists don’t know the beginning and will never know the end of time. Time is one of human inventions so we have to use it to our benefits. Yea you are right… it’s easier said than done, God is the One who can teach us how to number our days (silently prays).

Ok, let’s move on…

Have you ever set a clear goal and excitedly share with your friends but at the end did not happen?

Talking about goals, everyone has something they set to achieve every day or every now and then depending on their area of fulfilment. There are absolutely nothing wrong setting goals; these are the breakdown of to-dos that aim towards achieving your great goal (your dream).

I define a goal as a clear task you set to achieve at a particular time for a particular purpose. One can set goals to achieve a career dream, to get desired weight, be proficient in something, be closer to God or to be a better person.

The basic thing is we set goals to take us from where we are to where we want to be so this is like a thing to boast off especially with the wide drive in this present generation where everyone wants to be the first to invent and create new things.

The above fact (the heading) is actually true that if you talk about your goals or your plans, you might likely not achieve them.

I re-launched my site yesterday to the shock of most of my friends. I still told them I wasn’t sure when I would reopen the site some days before I did. Does it seem like I’m a dishonest person?

Someone explains to me that whenever she says she wants to achieve something, she believes ‘the devil’ will hear her and work against her plan so she keeps it in her mind and just do it at the exact time she planned.

“I don’t want to talk about it because the other person might cast a spell on me”

I haven’t seen the devil yet, but I think our ego is must times the devil here. Even a research found that those who kept their intentions private were more likely to achieve them than those who made them public.

This is the reason,

Once you’ve told people of your intentions, it gives you a “premature sense of completeness.”

You feel like an achiever already. As you talk about it, the image is formed in your brain and your brain tags it as, been done. The author identified it this way; “Since both actions and talk create symbols in your brain, talking satisfies the brain enough that it neglects the pursuit of further symbols.”

You can talk about it without feeling this way depending on who you are telling. I make sure I’m very certain that someone will be of help to achieving my set goal before I spill it out. I just want to work it within me and my God and the result should announce itself.

Also, one feels less burdened and free because no one knows what one is about to do and there is no unnecessary torture just because everyone already knows. This gives you a greater chance to analyse the goal again, redefine it or even cancel it if the need be.

Link: http://livelifeng.com/factfriday-if-you-announce-your-goal-to-others-you-are-less-likely-to-make-them-happen
I beg to differ. Contrary to your 'fact', a school of thought, to which I belong, believes that sharing your goals with your love ones have a way of motivating you to achieving them. This is because you don't want to disappoint them & you don't want to be seen as a mouthy person. These & other reasons with definitely spur you to taking actions towards the realization of the goals.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by BobUg28(m): 9:40pm On Oct 09, 2015
^^^ seconded!

Meanwhile, op thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by ADEMOSU(m): 10:05pm On Oct 09, 2015
I strongly disagree .
Personal experience if I share my goal (career goal) especially with respectable person I strive to achieve such .
My advise is be mindful of people you share intent with because it may determine kind of support and wishes towards such aspiration.
People of like minds help attract resources towards goal actualization .

1 Like

Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by kingpole: 10:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
I strongly disagree. If announcing your goals doesn't do any other thing for you, It help fight against procrastination.

1 Like

Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by Seuncoded(f): 3:18am On Oct 10, 2015
livelifeng:

Ok, let’s move on…

This is the reason,

Join My Forum Come In As Super Mod And Have access to Frnt Page
Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by Aspiregreat: 8:45pm On Oct 10, 2015
sichri:
I beg to differ. Contrary to your 'fact', a school of thought, to which I belong, believes that sharing your goals with your love ones have a way of motivating you to achieving them. This is because you don't want to disappoint them & you don't want to be seen as a mouthy person. These & other reasons with definitely spur you to taking actions towards the realization of the goals.

I strongly concur to your opinion.Speaking out your Goal propels your ambitions for manifestation. Taking reference from Habk 2:2 "write the visions and make it plain upon tables,that he may run that readeth it.For the Goal is yet for an appointed Time....."
Re: If Your Announce Your Goals To Others, You Are Less Likely To Make Them Happen! by Kunlexic(m): 5:21am On Oct 11, 2015
Supported @ Op
But still depending on whom u are.

(1) (Reply)

Please Honest Advice Needed, Medical Lab. Sc Vs Optometry. / Leyland Technical Academy. / Chartered Financial Analyst(cfa) Or Masters In Business Administration( Mba)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.