Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? (3051 Views)

"Spirit Of Beersheba Sent Me To Seduce Catholic Priests In Amaruru, Imo" (VIDEO) / Three Catholic Priests Die In Anambra Community After Burning Of Shrines. Photos / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
orisa37:

The answer is Yes. Not only the Roman Catholic, as organized for the purpose, but also all properly organised other catholic churches all over the world. The authority to do so was first sought for by Jesus in His Prayer for all His Disciples and Apostles in St. John's Gospel chapter17. And when He knew that He has had the authority, He then gave it, in John 20:23, to His Disciples and Apostles after them which includes all Born Again Christians and you and I. You can forgive sins bros. And anything you command on earth will be commanded for you in Heaven. But we should not be frivolous, careless and selfish about what we do In Jesus Name. Roman Catholic are Apostles of Christ Jesus after St. Peter.

Are you born again? If yes, have you been busy declaring people righteous, forgiving them their sins just as Jesus did? undecided
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by uboma(m): 3:34pm On Feb 28, 2017
ihedioramma:
But did JESUS said if you have faith you will do more than i do ?

That does not include the ability to forgive the sins of others.

No imperfect man on earth can forgive the sins of others.
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:07pm On Mar 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

What about it? undecided
Who talk to u?
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:08pm On Mar 04, 2017
uboma:
No man born of Man and Woman has the power to forgive the sins of another.

Roman Catholic Priests have no power to forgive the sins of others.

John 20:23
New International Version (NIV)
23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by orisa37: 10:51pm On Mar 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Are you born again? If yes, have you been busy declaring people righteous, forgiving them their sins just as Jesus did? undecided

I'm Born Again. I'm The Chair/CEO of a non profit making "afgg"(Apostles for good government) I consider this enough to Teach Atheists and Hypocrites in Nigeria and The various Faiths that Christ Alone is The Faith, The Hope, God of Peace and God in Love. He is The Way, The Truth and The Life. Any necessary Repentance in the process is automatically forgiven.
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by orisa37: 10:55pm On Mar 04, 2017
ihedioramma:
ONE LOVE . more blessing's to your life .

IJN AMEN!!!

1 Like

Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by DTalented(m): 2:09am On Mar 05, 2017
Yes, in the name of God the father, Son and Holy spirit.
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:04pm On Apr 03, 2017
Ubenedictus:

Who talk to u?

Did you say anything? undecided
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:05pm On Apr 03, 2017
orisa37:

I'm Born Again. I'm The Chair/CEO of a non profit making "afgg"(Apostles for good government) I consider this enough to Teach Atheists and Hypocrites in Nigeria and The various Faiths that Christ Alone is The Faith, The Hope, God of Peace and God in Love. He is The Way, The Truth and The Life. Any necessary Repentance in the process is automatically forgiven.

Did you say that you are an Apostle? undecided
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03, 2017
uboma:
No man born of Man and Woman has the power to forgive the sins of another.

Roman Catholic Priests have no power to forgive the sins of others.

Good job! smiley
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by Empiree: 7:16pm On Apr 03, 2017
CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS INCIDENT?

REST IN PEACE CHIEF MAXWELL ABDULLAH OF RUMUOLUMENI... PLEASE READ THIS FOR ALLAH'S SAKE

Chief Maxwell was born in the Rumuolumeni Community in Port Harcourt city, Rivers State. He was converted into Islam 3 years ago and chose Abdull as his new name. After his conversion he comes to the Mosque everyday.

Chief Maxwell Abdullah converted to Islam but non of his children or wife followed him. He was sick early last month and he was admitted in the hospital. Some Muslims in the mosque contributed to pay his bill in the hospital and his family was amazed. To cut the long story short, Chief Maxwell Abdullah was confirmed dead on Wednesday but after the confirmation, amazingly Chief Maxwell Abdullah came back to life and the news spread around the city of Port Harcourt. On Thursday afternoon Chief Maxwell called his children and wife and told them that he should be buried in an Islamic way if passed on and he died on Friday.

When we got to Jummat on Friday, we were told that we will be going to Chief Maxwell's house to hear from his family if they will allow us to burry him in an Islamic way and behold his family accepted and told us his last words that he should be buried in an Islamic way and we were told to go to the hospital to carry his corpse for the final prayer before his remains was put 6 feet underground.

One amazing thing happened on Friday evening he buried. 7 Imams from different mosque were present on this day because it is something that has never happened before in Port Harcourt city and legs could not contain Rumuolumeni Community as so many people (Muslims) from other places were present to witness this uncommon evening.

On the next day which was Saturday, His children visited the mosque for conversion into Islam. When they were asked for their reasons they said they said their father's stopped pouring alcohol or libation on one thing he worshipped in the house and burnt them. He was actually mixing Christianity plus Idol and their father changed from ranting attitude and became someone that calmly explain things to them and so many other things. They are now also converted to Islam.

May Allah Forgive Chief Maxwell Abdullah and grant him Jannat firdahus (paradise). May Allah be with his family now and forever.

Man Shaa Allah

Share please
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by orisa37: 6:40am On Apr 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Did you say that you are an Apostle? undecided

Yes: Yes: Yes.
Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by easymancfc(m): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2017
to the man who said no man born of a woman can forgive sin is obviously wrong because Jesus himself was a man (or part man) and he forgave sins and he gave that power to his apostles in John 20:21-23.
Jesus gave his apostles power to do certain things before he ascended... He gave them power to heal, preach, teach, baptize and wait for it "FORGIVE AND RETAIN SINS" ... see mat 28:19-end, mat 16:14-17, and we see them exercise all this powers in the early Church..
see acts 19:18 Many also of those who were now believers came, confessing and divulging their practices.
2 cor 2: 10 Any one whom you forgive, I also forgive. What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ,

James 5:1616 Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.

We see that in the early Church confessing a sin publicly was practiced and as Paul said in 1 cor 2 it is the apostle that forgives finally in the person or presence of Christ...

public confession was practiced until the Church decided out of prudence that it is better for the sake of privacy and serious sins to confess privately to the Bishop or priest who are Successors of the apostles...

the priests in the Catholic Church is the actually called the presbytery which comes from the Greek word Presbytheros which you call elder, but presbytheros translates directly to English as priest not elder. On the subject of pastors, there is no mention of pastor in the books of titus and Timothy that talks about ordaining bishops, presbyters (priests Or elders) and deacons) which are the three main orders of ministry in the Catholic Church...
pastor has to do with their roles as Shepherds as Jesus told Peter to feed hod lamb and sheep In John 21:15-19.. back to Apostolic succession.

Jesus told the disciplines that he would be with them TILL THE END OF THE AGES... but not all of them would be alive TILL THE END OF THE AGE.. so how can this be?
for everyone who dies, they are to have successors who would continue in their office.. we see this in acts 1:20-26 when Mathias was chosen to succeed Judas is cariot.
Paul also passed that message to Timothy in 2 Tim 2 and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
So what Timothy learned from Paul, would be Passed to "FAITHFUL MEN" who will pass it to others... and how did Timothy get the authority and knowledge from Paul
2 Tim 1: 6 Hence I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; 7 for God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control.
1 Tim 4:14 Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophetic utterance when the elders laid their hands upon you.

So this authority can be passed through laying on of hands... and did it include?
"POWER, LOVE AND SELF CONTROL"
IT'S SAFE TO SAY THAT THE POWER INCLUDES THE POWER TO FORGIVE SIN WHICH JESUS GAVE THE APOSTLES... now this laying on of hands is not for everyone except those consecrated to God's service that's why Paul told Timothy In 1 Tim 5:22 Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, nor participate in another man’s sins; keep yourself pure.

So who would have this power they had, anyone who could show their line of ordination (laying hands) back to the apostles and their successors, which Catholic priests can, just pick up your phone and call any Catholic diocese and ask for the LINE OF ORDINATION (LAYING ON OF HANDS ) OF THEIR BISHOP BACK TO THE APOSTLES...

I WILL ALWAYS TELL YOU.. STUDY REAL HISTORY... STOP GOING TO ANTI CATHOLIC SITES

1 Like

Re: Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:17am On May 25, 2017
orisa37:

Yes: Yes: Yes.

How did you arrive at that title? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

The History Of Infamous Ibini Ukpabi Shrine Of Arochukwu / Popular Port Harcourt Pastor Acquires A Jet / What Is Your View As To The Origin Of Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.