Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) (33593 Views)

Niger Tornadoes And Akwa United Battle For AITEO Cup 2017 At Agege Stadium Lagos / The Football Forever Statue At Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere (Photos) / Solomon Dalung Visits National Stadium Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by westerm(m): 7:08am On Oct 10, 2015
Cool!
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 10, 2015
LEGENDS ARE REALLY SCARCE IN NIGERIAN FOOTBALL..... TESLIM LEGEND?

WELL, WHAT ELSE?
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by KossiAbobo: 7:10am On Oct 10, 2015
grin I thought Teslim Balogun wuz Wizkid's father?!
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by ChiSun27(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2015
cheesy Instead of you guys to appreciate a fallen hero....you've all turned this thread to a comic centre for saddened peeps... grin
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 10, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

And they called him "THUNDER"? grin

RIP to him anyway
Legends are few in NIGERIA... Even Mikel is a Legend.... What else?
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by HANSEEL(m): 7:16am On Oct 10, 2015
stephenduru:
Teslim Balogun at Loftus Road Stadium, during his spell at Queens Park Rangers (QPR), UK, Ca. 1957.

He was nicknamed “Thunder” and “Balinga” for his powerful shot.He played for a number of Nigerian clubs including, Apapa Bombers and UAC XI, he was also the first player to have a hat-trick in the competition, in Pan Bank's 6-1 rout of Warri in 1953. He signed for QPR scoring 3 goals in 13 appearance and became Africa’s first qualified football coach.

The Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos is named in his honour as well as the Teslim Balogun Foundation which was founded after his death to assist the families of Nigerian ex-international footballers who may have fallen on hard times.

Source: http://trezzy2..com/2015/10/see-teslim-balogun-during-his-days-at.html
coool
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by goshen26: 7:19am On Oct 10, 2015
Chanchit:
Lol! 13appearance, 3 goals. Well the guy try, I can't remember the last time Ideye scored and signing for QPR as @1957 is not a small something. If to say na Enyeama first play for europe, he for dey carry gun enter camp, no wahala sha, him wife don sign am now. he's in a better place.

Lol....u de craze ooo, enyeama for de carry gun? I don laugh tire

1 Like

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by bobmatex01: 7:20am On Oct 10, 2015
GET UNLIMITED INTERNET DATA ON YOUR COMPUTER FOR #2,000 MONTHLY. Watch live football matches and download 2015 movies all for free
CALL 08068638366 or send an email to bobmatex@yahoo.com for details. Designed for heavy internet users please. For those doubting, you get a 24hours test account before you pay.
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by goshen26: 7:21am On Oct 10, 2015
KossiAbobo:
grin I thought Teslim Balogun wuz Wizkid's father?!
No, na him brother
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by LexingtonSteele(m): 7:26am On Oct 10, 2015
pus30:
[size=28pt]

The 3SC football club, Ibadan, former name is Western Nigeria Development Company.

The ATLANTIC CONFERENCE of the basketball league, is the the country of western Nigeria league..

most of the teams have the history.

Football team like 3sc

Oluyole Warriors (Ibadan)
Dodan Warriors (Lagos)
Delta Force (Asaba)
Lagos Islanders (Lagos)
Nigeria Customs (Lagos)
Union Bank Basketball Club(Lagos)
Police Baton (Lagos)
Kwara Falcons Basketball Club (Ilorin)
[/size]
Why are you so into these amateur teams as if any of them is a little on the average? Poor free throws, absence of 3pointers, low quality costumes to mention but a few. Smmmmh!
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 10, 2015
bobmatex01:
GET UNLIMITED INTERNET DATA ON YOUR COMPUTER FOR #2,000 MONTHLY. Watch live football matches and download 2015 movies all for free
CALL 08068638366 or send an email to bobmatex@yahoo.com for details. Designed for heavy internet users please. For those doubting, you get a 24hours test account before you pay.
what network pls
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by LexingtonSteele(m): 7:29am On Oct 10, 2015
Chanchit:
Lol! 13appearance, 3 goals. Well the guy try, I can't remember the last time Ideye scored and signing for QPR as @1957 is not a small something. If to say na Enyeama first play for europe, he for dey carry gun enter camp, no wahala sha, him wife don sign am now. he's in a better place.
Was he a member of the Nigerian team that faced India in Peru '58 world cup final?

3 Likes

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by worldman(m): 7:49am On Oct 10, 2015
ifyan:

Meaning
meaning you are a village boy
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Leyemoshood: 7:53am On Oct 10, 2015
hmmmm

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/4
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Jarus(m): 8:07am On Oct 10, 2015
First Nigerian to play in English League.
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by ccnation(m): 8:10am On Oct 10, 2015
Urine:
"Thunder Balogun use your left"

Wow you just took me back to childhood.

Not that I really knew him but way back in warri, we as kids had a fable tale about Thunder Balogun - the Nigerian player who had the hottest shot ever.
The fable was that Thunder Balogun's shot killed Okwaraji another great Nigerian player who died on the pitch. That while Nigeria was playing a very crucial game at 1:1 with just extra time left, Balogun had the ball in front of the opponent's goal but wanted to shoot with his right leg because Okwaraji was in his way, but Okwaraji said to him "Thunder Balogun remember your left leg" then he played the ball with his left leg and it hit Okwaraji's chest ...killing him instantly.

And that was how the great THUNDER BALOGUN was banned from ever playing football.

1 Like

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by okpor2(m): 8:17am On Oct 10, 2015
TherE was a story about thunder Balogun in d 70's.He was saidto have taken a penalty kick that went through d goalkeepers tummy and came out from his back to enter d net,wen d unnamed keeper tried to stop d kick!!!That was hw popular nd dreaded thunder Balogun was.unveried yet believed by many in those days.d man was awesome nd a legend
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by stanisbaratheon: 8:19am On Oct 10, 2015
thunder Balogun
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 10, 2015
stephenduru:
Teslim Balogun at Loftus Road Stadium, during his spell at Queens Park Rangers (QPR), UK, Ca. 1957.

He was nicknamed “Thunder” and “Balinga” for his powerful shot.He played for a number of Nigerian clubs including, Apapa Bombers and UAC XI, he was also the first player to have a hat-trick in the competition, in Pan Bank's 6-1 rout of Warri in 1953. He signed for QPR scoring 3 goals in 13 appearance and became Africa’s first qualified football coach.

The Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos is named in his honour as well as the Teslim Balogun Foundation which was founded after his death to assist the families of Nigerian ex-international footballers who may have fallen on hard times.

Source: http://trezzy2..com/2015/10/see-teslim-balogun-during-his-days-at.html

The guys highest club na queens park rangers n yet Yoruba people call him legendary.
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Urine: 8:24am On Oct 10, 2015
ccnation:

Wow you just took me back to childhood.

Not that I really knew him but way back in warri, we as kids had a fable tale about Thunder Balogun - the Nigerian player who had the hottest shot ever.
The fable was that Thunder Balogun's shot killed Okwaraji another great Nigerian player who died on the pitch. That while Nigeria was playing a very crucial game at 1:1 with just extra time left, Balogun had the ball in front of the opponent's goal but wanted to shoot with his right leg because Okwaraji was in his way, but Okwaraji said to him "Thunder Balogun remember your left leg" then he played the ball with his left leg and it hit Okwaraji's chest ...killing him instantly.

And that was how the great THUNDER BALOGUN was banned from ever playing football.

Lmao. I was hoping someone will be able to relate to my statement and you were spot on. Crazy story back in the day, I wonder who came up with it.
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Funjosh(m): 8:33am On Oct 10, 2015
okpor2:
TherE was a story about thunder Balogun in d 70's.He was saidto have taken a penalty kick that went through d goalkeepers tummy and came out from his back to enter d net,wen d unnamed keeper tried to stop d kick!!!That was hw popular nd dreaded thunder Balogun was.unveried yet believed by many in those days.d man was awesome nd a legend

Lolz......... Remember back then in Aj the side of the story I heared was that when we are playing against India when ball would turn to different creatures and they where leading us 100:0 when the ball turn to big stone in front of Thunder Balogun a player just shout remember your left leg Thunder just shoot the stone toward the goal, the india goalkeeper left the goalposts when the stone is coming toward him that is the only goal we score in that match and sadly Thunder Balogun got injured on his left Leg and couldn't play football again sad

2 Likes

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by ccnation(m): 8:36am On Oct 10, 2015
Urine:

Lmao. I was hoping someone will be able to relate to my statement and you were spot on. Crazy story back in the day, I wonder who came up with it.

Hahaha.....really crazy indeed! And to think that as kids we never gave it a second thought as to how it could have possibly happened. Just like the Nigeria vs India match.

I pray these new generation of kids nor go chop the kind of lies we chop back then. grin

1 Like

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Dindondin(m): 8:49am On Oct 10, 2015
Chanchit:
you see that Enyeama issue get as it be
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by juman(m): 9:06am On Oct 10, 2015
1957!

nigeria refuse to grow up.

Bad "leaders".
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Thryphosa(m): 9:16am On Oct 10, 2015
chuna1985:

The guys highest club na queens park rangers n yet Yoruba people call him legendary.

QPR was far popular and performed better than Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal as at that time. They had more trophies than the so called EPL giants of now.

1 Like

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by McWhillion(m): 10:32am On Oct 10, 2015
dominique:
He was called 'Thunder' because of the force at which he passed his shots. Legend has it that his shots tore a net and one time it tore the stomach of a foreign goalkeeper. Na my PE teacher talk am o.
Your PE teacher has a degree in Lieology..
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by spencekat(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2015
Just got to know that Teslim Balogun was a footballer.
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:39am On Oct 10, 2015
dominique:
He was called 'Thunder' because of the force at which he passed his shots. Legend has it that his shots tore a net and one time it tore the stomach of a foreign goalkeeper. Na my PE teacher talk am o.

How I wish he was there in the 99-0 rout India dealt us.

Score would certainly have been different.
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by dominique(f): 10:58am On Oct 10, 2015
McWhillion:
Your PE teacher has a degree in Lieology..

When I wrote 'Legends have it', I expect you to understand that it's more myth than fact. If he didn't tell that story, his name and story would have erased from my memory months later.

2 Likes

Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by dhesmond(m): 11:30am On Oct 10, 2015
Chanchit:
watch wat u say about Enyeama.... ur oliseh doesn't have his record in his days...
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by oludarefadipe(m): 11:47am On Oct 10, 2015
K'Olorun dele feni're
Re: See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) by Chanchit: 11:52am On Oct 10, 2015
dhesmond:
watch wat u say about Enyeama.... ur oliseh doesn't have his record in his days...

Which foolish record? During Oliseh's era, we never fear of not qualifying for nations cup, we believe its our birth right, during Enyeama's era we are not even sure of winning at home against Sudan, abeg no provoke me o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final / John Fashanu Romances Rachel Bakam!!! / Nigeria U17 Team List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.