Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) (62929 Views)

The Irresistible Arrest (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Religion Jingoism (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Que Sera, Sera (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:04pm On Oct 10, 2015

This story originally belongs to the author, Olasunkanmi Opeyemi Ajibola. The Title, thoughts, plot, characters, settings, quotes and all its contents are properties of the author. No parts of this work; either in parts or in whole should be reproduced, sold in any format; electronic or otherwise without permission from the author.

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:09pm On Oct 10, 2015
They say, love is the feeling you feel when you feel the feeling you're feeling is the feeling you've never felt before.
Are you finding it difficult to differentiate love from likeness? You don't know when to give it a trial? You don't even understand what you're into?

Come on! It is like that everywhere! You're not strange and the more reason you should check out what happened between Deborah and Henry!

Don't worry, it's not all love, you will laugh along. grin

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2015
ONE

"Henry, this is another step in the journey of your life. You are now getting more mature and exposed. Remember the child of whom you are, don't associate yourself with bad groups, and don't be too playful. Remember they don't give positions in Senior Secondary School (SSS) so, that should not make you relax neither am I expecting you to come home with lower grades in your exams. Most importantly and the main reason I'm telling you all this now, DON'T HAVE A GIRLFRIEND;" I raised my eyebrows and bugged-out my eyes in surprise then continued to listen.

"Opeyemi, look here, let me tell you the pure truth in case you don't know. Girlfriends have nothing to offer you at this level but distractions at its peak. I am not saying you should not have female friends, of course you're going to have them but never let anything like dating or sexual act in any form knock the door of your mind for now, why? Simply because, you're still small for that. Don't misunderstand me, I didn't say having a girlfriend is bad thing but the right thing at the right time is always the best, happiness is when you realize that what you're doing and what you're supposed to do are the same. I repeat, DON'T HAVE A GIRLFRIEND! taken?" My elder sister concluded in expectation of a confirmation from me;

"Yes ma, I promise to make use of your advice so that I'll come out in flying colour as you did". I responded dutifully contrary to how I felt. I respect my sister for the fact that she's almost seven years older than I'm, the difference is really clear.
"That's my man! The Henry!!!!" She hailed me, I feigned a smile, stood up and left her there as if I wanted to attend to something else. The girlfriend part of the discussion was somehow strange to me as no one had ever sat me down and discussed that kind of thing with me before, I was shy.

That was on Sunday, the 6th day of September, 2009, when I was to resume into SS1 class in my secondary school the next day.

Around 7:45pm: "Up NEPA!!!" my typical Nigerian neighbours screamed as if they won American Visa. The PHCN just restored the electricity, hearing the noise and seeing the glowing bulbs everywhere, I didn't need any seer to tell me the next thing to do. I was watching one Yoruba movie (Ogbologbo) when I came back from church around 2:30pm, I knew I had to continue my movie. I jumped up from where I was sketching the picture of Ronaldinho at the back of one of my old notes, on an A4 paper. I heard my mom's voice;

"Ope ooooo! Dont come and iron your school uniform now that there is light, you'll do that when they take it again" My mom shouted from the kitchen ironically, a typical Yoruba mother.
"Ma! Let me quickly finish this part 2, it's the part where Ogbologbo wants to escape from the pri...." I had not pronounced the "prison" before my mom raised her voice;

"Really? Where Ogbologbo wants to escape from the prison is what I asked you right? I think something is wrong with you. I said you should go and iron your school uniform, you're telling me that Ogbologbo wants to escape from prison. Have you left that TV or I should come and break the disc in your presence. 'Son of words, someone can't do without talking about you just like money'". I sluggishly switched the TV off, dropped the remote control with frowned face and walked indolently into my sister's room. Crawling would be faster than my speed if compared. My sister was busy laughing and singing from the kitchen to show that she was happy with my mom's decision, she had never loved seeing me watching movies whenever she's cooking. I just ignored her because I know her for such character. I picked up the iron, arranged a table and was ready to iron, as I switched the iron on, the current dropped totally, even some appliances stopped working;

"Off that iron!" My mom screamed from the kitchen and rushed to the sitting room to switch off the main socket;
"You'll iron when we finish cooking, I forgot that we can't use the hot plate and the iron at the same time" My mom said and was going back to the kitchen. I was fully happy, swaggering back to continue my film when I heard my sister's voice from the kitchen;

"Mummy, I'm through with the hot-plate, Ope can go back to iron his school uniform" she said with ecstasy.
"Which kind person be this now? Enemy of progress" I muttered as I returned to iron my uniform, praying that something should spark again, but nothing bad happened. I finished ironing my uniform, they were through with cooking, we ate, I could not watch my movie because my sister insisted she wanted to watch Pastor Samson Ayorinde's sermon on OGTV. Later we prayed and went to bed.

I was on my fat neat bed reminiscing at random. I thought of how I'd see my friends the next day especially David, how I'd meet new friends and cope with the seniors, later my mind shifted to what my sister discussed with me in the evening, I was just asking myself questions that even I could not provide answers to;

What has my sister heard about me?
Did she see or listen to my mind?
Why should she tell me not to have a girlfriend when I am actually fantasizing and planning to have the first one?
No! She must be joking, wait, she said that sexual acts should not knock the door of my heart, how does dating relate to sexual act or what does she really mean by sexual act?
Why didn't I even ask her if she had a boyfriend during her secondary school days?...She might even lie.
Come to think of it, she's my sister, she can't lead me to the wrong path of course. It's like I will follow what she said, but...... anyway, let the session begin."

That was all I could think before I went into the land of dream amidst my thoughts. I slept off.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:13pm On Oct 10, 2015
Pls read up to chapter five before you decide whether to continue or not. DONT JUST READ, READ AND SAY SOMETHING.

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:14pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦
TWO
"Grannnnn! Grannnnn!! Grannnnn!!!..." My alarm clock dutifully rang out loud violently;
"Ooooh! What kind of noise is this for God's sake? What is that thing making that noise again! Was it not 20minutes ago that I slept off? So, this alarm noise means it's morning again?" That was all I could murmur in an hypnopompic manner before I fully gained consciousness from sleep, when I discovered it was really morning and also Monday (my 1st day in SS1), I was a bit excited, that gave me the eagerness to get off bed, I checked time and it was 6:02am, I could hear my sister praying in her room.

"From 9:30pm to 6: 00am is now as short as 20minutes, nawa o" I wondered in complaint and knelt down facing bed to say my morning prayers, after that, I dashed out of the room for the necessary house chores, in some minutes I was done, off to bathroom, took my bath, as at exactly 7:05am, I was through with everything:

"Mummy, I'm leaving for school" I announced.
"Oh, oko mi, se jeje o (Oh, my husband, play gently/carefully)" she responded and smiled as she saw me with my big school bag, we had argued the previous night about me going to school with bag on the first day of resumption which I reluctantly agreed.
"Alright ma" I responded, stepping out of the house. Off to school.

The school security men were on duty, some covered foodstuffs were on the tables at the school canteen while the vendors were no where to be found yet, some whitish water (dew) were on the field which changed the natural colour green of the grasses to something like "whitish-green", the morning breeze was so cool as the sun was about to resume duty, I checked my wrist watch it was 7:23am;

"I knew it! Students will come late on the day-one of the resumption" I uttered audible enough for only myself to hear, I could see some students hanging around afar in junior school, about five male students sitting in the school hall discussing the previous Sunday premiership matches, I looked back and saw a set of seniors coming without school bags;

"Over-serious too dey worry me, see me see this heavy bag now as I know say we no go do anything today, see students coming without school bags, na my mama cause am, I for no carry bag come school today self, mtshhhw" I murmured to myself and hissed.

The senior school environment was still somehow strange to me, I didn't really know where to head to again and my friends have not come, I located under a tree, dropped my bag on one of the tyres half-buried to form circle round the tree in decoration and sat on another tyre, I brought out my brick-game and began to play game-A (hope you can remember that game). I stopped playing game when students began to arrive;

"See Henry over there" I heard David's voice from not too far, looking up, I saw five friends of mine approaching me with big grin on their faces, (David, Roliat, Deborah, Felix and Salamot), among them all, David whom we call Dave was my closest friend while others are normal friends, I call him Divide whenever I want to tease him.
"Henry the serious student!" David teased and continued; "I know you won't disappoint me, I told them that we would meet you in school no matter how early we come" He jeered again as they kept coming closer; "Where are your four school bags? Abi na only three you bring today? Wey your drawing board and T-square na?" Dave was teasing me as they were coming nearer, while others were just laughing, I stood up.

"Divide!, your sickness don migrate go brain, you no con well at all, na me dey bring four bags to school abi?" I responded jokingly as I was laughing and moving closer to them;
"Paaaaa!" David and I had a resounding clapping handshake and used our right shoulders to touch eachother;
"O boy! you no wan tall again? Try tall small na, mad boy, Bet9ja don take your height finish" I jested David, he just stood-still looking at me and laughing as I was about to greet others, I knew he had my response but he didn't talk, I greeted Felix the gentle boy, Roliat and Salamot looked fatter yet prettier than before;

"Hmmmmmmm see babes" I said with smiles on my face, I had handshake with Roliat and Salamot, Deborah was busy looking at me and smiling - Deborah is a portable girl, somehow short, fair in complexion, V-shape face, white and well arranged set of teeth.
Before I stretched my hand to Deborah for handshake, she had already opened arms for hug, no dulling, a brief good morning hug took place for some seconds, we chatted for a while, Felix left us there to greet some others;

"Is that not football those Junior School students are holding?" David asked without waiting for response, he sighted Quazeem - one of our friends;
"Quazeem! Quazeem!!" He screamed his name and quickly added; "Deaf hears" as Quazeem finally heard him, David pointed to the direction of the boys holding the ball (health), he knew that Quazeem could quit his wedding for a football match:
"Don't tell me you want to go and play football this morning o" I queried indirectly.

"No. I want to go and borrow Maths textbook from them. "David responded sarcastically"
"Assuming you can play the ball well now, it'd be better, but it's a lie, na dance you go dey dance on top ball" I mocked and laughed.
"Orin yin ni o... e maa koo lo... (It's your song... continue singing it...)" He spat back nonchalantly and quickly asked; "How far, you dey play? Oh! I don forget say na woman dey your front, 'alaye'run' (broken-life fellow), continue your mission, it's just that you won't make our heaven with Jesus." He yabbed jokingly.
(laughs out loud) "Your heaven indeed, "olokan'doti" (dirty-minded being), go and dance with the ball on the field as usual and come back, check me at the school canteen." I responded still laughing while Deborah chuckled.

David went to the field as decided, Deborah and I began to chat. One thing about Deborah was that, she'd let out a charming smile along with every word coming out of her mouth.
"Why don't you want to play football with them?" Deborah asked.
"You mean early this morning? And as we've not even known how to move, where to stay and how to dwell here?" I responded in hypophora
"Is true sha, don't tell me you brought that very big bag o" She said, grinning.
"OK" I responded nonchalantly.
"What is OK? Did you bring that bag? I asked." She protested
"You said I should not tell you that I brought it" I reminded her and smiled, she beamed.
"OK, now tell me the fact, who brought that big bag? Smiling.
"Madam! Pease leave that bag alone, are you jealous or what? Do you want me to give you or buy you the same type? "I grumbled non-violently.
"Oya, buy me the type" She dared, rolling her eyes and smiling.
"Hehehe" I let out a mocking laughter; "OK, when I'm coming tomorrow, I'll bring yours......" I deceived her; "...and I'll wake up from my dream." I added for her to know I was not serious.
"Mtshhhw" She hissed, "I know, it'll be only in your dreams that you can buy anything for anybody. You'll even be provoked to wake up." She assured.
"What do you mean? Oya let's go to the school canteen." I boasted emptily.
"You know am ready to follow you." She responded determined.
"Ehn, let's go then, I'll order food for you and you'll pay." I turned her expectation down ironically and laughed.
"Hahahahaha" She laughed in the manner LIKE-I'VE-KNOWN; "I know you can't pay for me before. Change your ways and be saved." She joked.
We both laughed, held each other's hands and off to school canteen.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:16pm On Oct 10, 2015
If you truly you love reading Love/Romantic story, you're in the right place, just continue reading and enjoy the funny scenes as well. Dont forget to drop your comments.

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

THREE

Deborah and I were done eating, like two hours after the bell was jingled, the school was not that crowded, the principal advised us on how to choose the department that would fit us, and ******fast forward******.

The 3rd day, we were already in different classrooms, I was happy to be in the same department with most of my friends, (David, Saheed, Quazeem, Kayode, Felix, etc). We were new to some subjects like Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geography, and few others. The first class we had was Chemistry class, taken by Mr Ajibode which was just an introduction to the subject (Chemistry), the man appeared nice and friendly to us but what I noticed was that he sounded strict at the same time. After the Chemistry class which I listened very attentively so as not to miss anything, I started thinking about how I was going to adapt;

"Hmmmmmmm I need to be very serious indeed, and how do I cope and maintain my brilliancy with these new subjects? I pray it's not as difficult as I'm thinking, thank God they won't even show our positions, but upon that I still need to amaze my sister..." I was still in thought on my seat (the first seat at the middle roll in Science Class).

Three students walked into the class, Kayode who joined us from JS3 ran to meet them grinning, Kayode was a lousy and 'semi-smart' boy (don't mind my description, that's exactly who he was), the three students were two females and a male, they were shown where to sit, the two females (Bukola and Damilola) sat on the same seat while the 3rd one (Joel) chose to sit among Kayode, Saheed and other close friends to them, I was just looking like one cool boy, observing the new students, all I could notice within few minutes was that Joel increased the noise standard in the class very fast and conveniently, the boy supposed to have got award for noise maker. Bukola could laugh to even the most dry joke on earth while Damilola was kind of cool but I concluded in me that she was still pretending.

I was about to stand up to go and meet Deborah and her friends on their seats for the necessary 'gossips' concerning the new students when I heard Taiwo's voice abusing Kayode, I looked back; "These ones again! They no dey tire? From JS3, Haba! Kayode is too stubborn self, and Taiwo too won't ignore small thing. Awon ode (the fools)" I commented, not too audible. I stood up and approached Deborah's seat, they'd always be in group, (Deborah, Salamot, Roliat, Mistura, Sitirat, Mary and Rachael), as they saw me coming they were like suspending what they were discussing because they knew I had got one interesting gist (amebo) for them, all of them were smiling, I greeted them and touched Deborah's cheek, then rested on their desk with my elbows:

"Errmmmm... have you guys seen the new ladies who recently joined us?" I asked smiling.
"Like I've known! I said it!" Mary responded and hit the desk before her, others cleared their throats and about three of them including Deborah chorused; "Henry! are you sure you're a male?" I just laughed and turned round on the same spot;

"I knew that's what he was coming to discuss, amebo!" Rachael said which I ignored.
"I hope they are singles and not spoilt like... like... like you guys" I said and ran away when Salamot wanted to hit my shoulder.

David was in commercial class with other friends (Akeem and Azeez) causing noise and creating problems for the whole class, David could be too troublesome, I was kind of missing his troubles that was when I noticed his absence, "who can have textbooks ooooooo" I thought for a while and stood up, I went to Taiwo's seat;
"Hello Taye" I uttered.
"Oh, Henry, what's up jare?" She responded trying to change mood when she realized I was the one.
"I'm fine. You and Kayode again this session" I commented and laughed not too broad.
"See me o Henry, I don't know the guy's problem, he has been abusing my parents for no reason since, can you imagine that" She let out aggressively.

"I actually heard your conversation, that was very bad of him, but you too, you're too stingy, since JS3, you should have given him what he wants." I joked then gave a lusty wink. She laughed then continued;
"You're not serious, what's the stupid thing he wants? Don't worry, I think he wants suspension because by the time I report to the principal, he'll realise that dead body stinks more than faeces." She responded with fake frown.
"Ah! Pity him o, just try and learn how to ignore him, he'll start to doubt if he truly exists." I pleaded on Kayode's behalf then continued with my mission on her seat;
"Anyway, errrmmmm..." I stammered for a while; "I've even forgotten why I came here, shift let me sit please." She shifted a bit as I sat; "OK, did you bring any Chemistry textbook?" I asked knowing fully well that she brought.
"Let me check my bag." She responded and proceeded to check her bag. As she opened bag;
"Chai!!! See textbooks! It's good to be omo-baba-olowo (the child of rich man), anyway, I go buy my own too, na time" I said in my mind. She brought out a brand new New-School Chemistry textbook and gave it to me;
"Ensure it doesn't get torn please" she warned while I responded jokingly; "It won't tear that much".
Off to my seat. I was busy checking the pictures and the graphics on the textbook pages, I saw the Ewekoro cement factory, some beautiful pictures of the space, and towards ending was a picture of the first man in the moon (Neil Armstrong), I was still wondering how I would get the IUPAC nomenclature of those chemical compounds when they jingled the bell for long break.

I closed the text book using two fingers to demarcate the page I was as I was watching the surprising and rough manners by which students were exiting the classroom, some jumped the window like Jachie Chan, some ran and slid out with their sandals making annoying sounds on the floor, some, including David, walked on the whole desks before going out excluding my desk and Joe's desk, they knew that Joe would not talk but he may kill you if you step on his toe, the class was remaining like ten students, I wanted to continue checking my dear Chemistry textbook when I saw Deborah walking towards my seat with her smiling face as usual;

"Wow! It seems this girl gets more beautiful every five minutes. She no go kill person with smile self" I commented in my mind as I was smiling innocently as well.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

2 Likes

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:19pm On Oct 10, 2015
My Next Story

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2015
Share with friends after reading each chapter.

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

FOUR

"Why are you now smiling like...?" She queried as she was moving closer.
"Your smile is the cause of my happiness, which resulted to my smile." I responded poetically.
"What is so special about my smiling face sir?" She asked rolling her eyes.
"If I can't return this your wall-melting smile with beautiful smile too, that means something is emotionally wrong with me. So, to prove that I'm emotionally active, that's the reason am smiling ma." I dropped another line.
"Hehehe Opeeee..." She calls me Ope just like my mom and my sister; "you will always have what to say in response. Sugarcoated mouth." Deborah.
"Come on! Do you think any guy can lack response when he's around you? That's not possible my dear, ordinary your presence has a thousand of words that need response, so tell me where the silence will emerge from." I.
"Hmmmmmmm it's in your blood, guys and sweet mouth since 190BC, anyway, na you sabi." She gave up.
"Haha... Ladies counting guys' words as deceit since 200BC." I countered and laughed.
"Mr serious student, which one is this you're holding?" She asked.
"I just carried the textbook to check some pictures ni since I hardly understand some terms in it, abi what do you think?" I responded.
"That's good sir, and make sure you come first this term o." She joked as we both laughed.
"Lest I forget, where are your girlfriends? Because you, being alone like this can be rare." She rolled her eyes.
"Did I tell you am alone? See Neil Armstrong here keeping me company" I opened the page then she smiled.
"Were you asking of Iswat and Mariam? Oh! Mariam has gone to continue her SSS in another school and Iswat is in commercial department.
Deb: Eeya....... (laughing)
I: (laughs) Which one is eeya? Did I tell you I was or I'm dating any of them? Abegi! No "kobalise" (implicate) me o. I'm as single as that flag pole (pointing to the school flag pole)
Deb: If I hear. Anyway, we just said we should come and greet you on your seat ni (she said, rolling her eyes)
I: You're always welcome ma, what should we offer you? (smiling) Oh! That reminds me, we're on break time, won't you go and eat?
Deb: OK, let's go.

I searched for my MTN wallet in my bag, and remember I gave it to David to help me hold it when I was arranging, dusting and cleaning my seat this morning. "Oh my God! Where will I find this David now!" I said while Deborah asked, "is your money with him?" I managed to say yes, "let's check commercial class or field" I said. As we went out of the class, David just ran out of the commercial class with full speed and he was laughing at the same time, Azeez followed him immediately, pursuing him with serious determination and laughter too. "Chai! This mad boy is already causing big hazard in this commercial class" I said, not too loud. Later Azeez went back, demonstrating hand like (I'll catch you later). (Divide!) I shouted, he was coming towards our direction and we were moving closer as well, like 20meters between us on d field in front of our classrooms, "two of you again! Henry the gentle lion!" He said, jokingly. "(Frowning my face) which one is gentle lion now? I don't like it o, as if I fit kill even mosquito" I ended, smiling, "give me my wallets abi you want to do change of ownership ni?" I asked.
"Ah!" David shouted while searching his pockets as if he has lost the wallet. "Oh, here it is, God saved you I found it, I've even forgotten that you gave me anything" he concluded.
David: (gives the wallet to me) are you taking her to Mr Biggs? (He asked, licking his lips)
I: No, I'm taking her to toilet, (Deborah hit me lightly and was smiling)
David: Yepa!!! Mad boy, mey una go with belle, come back with pikin o.
Deb and I: Na you know.

We were off to the canteen while David sneaked back to commercial class, we finished eating and went back to class, chitchatted eachother for a while and break was over, everybody came back to the class, Deborah went back to her seat and the class was set, waiting for Geography master to come. Finally he came, introduced the subject and it was good, he was telling us about some natural existences and that made the class lovely and lively. Later, Agric mistress came in, the subject was not new to us, she asked who class captain was and nobody answered, she asked who we would like to make the class captain, and 80% of the class echoed "Henry" while some shouted "Kayode!". "Henry and Kayode should stand up" the mistress ordered, immediately, I raised my hand, "ma, I don't want to be the class captain," "why?" She questioned, "ma, I don't like to be one" and truly, I have been avoiding being the class captain right from JS1, I could see Kayode smiling already, the mistress ordered me to sit. "Who wants to be the assistant?" She asked, David did not only raise his hand, he also jumped up while 70% of the class shouted "Noooooo! We don't want him!" The mistress demonstrated hand for David to sit down, "we want a female this time around" she said. Later, she assigned Mary to the post and the class went fine.

The closing bell was jingled, "time to go home" I said, arranging my books and counting them, I returned Taiwo's textbook and carried my big bag, out of the class, I saw Deborah, we were both walking to the assembly ground, "why did you reject the class captain offer when I exclaimed your name with the loudest voice?" Deborah queried me politely, "Oh! Am sorry, I just don't like it at all, it is not as easy as students think it is, and also I don't want to be known by any prefect" I responded in the same manner...... we continued chatting till we got to the assembly ground, the prayer was said by the senior prefect boy and some information were passed to us by Mr Togbe chief Geography teacher) and school dismissed. Deborah and I located eachother and continued our chat including David because we used to go home together, sometimes David would contribute, sometimes he would just keep mute as Deborah and I were holding hands, she got got to where she would branch and we departed for that day. David and I continued discussing on another topic till he got to his junction too, in the next three minutes, I got home and my mom announced to me that my sister has gone back to school I felt sad and happy at the same time which I can't explain why, ******fast forward******, the day ended.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:24pm On Oct 10, 2015
Check my signature, you may need any of the services there.

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:25pm On Oct 10, 2015
Every constructive criticism is allowed.

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2015
You can follow up so as not to miss future interesting stories.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:29pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

FIVE

Seconds became minute, minutes became hour, hours turned to day, days rolled to week, our class became more lively and noisy, the new comers started to cope with us, I got to know that Joel was a brilliant student as well and he was my main competitor then apart from other silent competitors (Joe and Quazeem), Joel and I became good friends, Bukola and I would sit and talk for long which I would make her laugh her lungs out, Deborah and I were now very very close like kerosene and stove, I would spend most of my pleasure time laughing out loud with her since I was not used to playing football in school so that I won't sweat and stain my school uniform (as per neat boy #wink). Taiwo too became freer with me, some friends have started saying I was dating Deborah which I knew too well that 'chief' David started the rumour though he knew the truth that the girl and I were just friends.

It was on Friday after about three weeks of resumption, they announced in the morning that they wanted to assign the real timekeeper and must be from SS1, I have been hearing it earlier that anybody that is assigned as the timekeeper in SS1 has 90% chance of being the senior prefect boy in SS3. "Can it be me?" I silently asked myself without a response and I immediately changed my mind and took my mind to something else. We got to the class, Mathematics teacher entered, (my best subject) the topic "set" was introduced to us which we found interesting at first but the story changed as time went on due to the complexity of the topic, the class went fine, Joel and Kayode were the sound students in the class that morning as I was just looking quietly and assimilating as it was hot. Quazeem too was an enthusiast in term of Mathematics while we all have one silent Mathematician (Joe), but most people didn't notice due to his silence and that was the opportunity and the priority I had over him as he was a bit better than I was at Mathematics.
Mr Iroko (the Maths teacher) finished teaching, he gave assignment and left the class, I did the assignment and kept my note immediately, other classes held well but Joel and I did not enjoy most of the classes that day, they would send for us time to time from staff-room, interviewed us at random, the female teachers would examine our body as if we were carrying hard drugs.
Silent rumour everywhere;

"Joel and Henry are going to be the next head boy and the assistant,
"But do you think Joel that just joined us will defeat Henry?
"Can't you see that Joel is brilliant too? And the other thing Joel will use is his body, he's taller and hugger than Henry, Henry can't control anybody with that stature of his,
"Anybody that wants to win should win after all it is not head boy post yet, it's still timekeeper which is just about 90% or less assurance,
"Why is Azeez not among self? Is he not brilliant too?
They won't just check other departments, let's wait and see how things will go"
That was the series of questions, arguments, complaints, and discussions among the students that day, David would ask me every time I returned to the class;
"Henry, are you leading Joel?" Which I would respond, "I don't know".

The time came, the closing bell was jingled, after everything, the principal came, notified us what what was about to happen, all SS1 students were eager to know, SS2 and three were waiting to see the newly discovered talents among the new comers.
"Good afternoon once more" the principal greeted. "Good afternoon sir" we echoed in response, he continued;

"It's not that these students we're about to call out are the best in their classes, but the school has concluded that they are the ones that are capable of having the posts. The first person I will call out will be our assistant timekeeper while the second person will be our timekeeper, they will be helping eachother in carrying out the assignment. The first name here as the assistant timekeeper... (the principal has not pronounced any name when my heart started beating faster as if it wanted to jump out of my chest, I started talking to myself;
"What is it self? Is it presidential post! I was not scared since morning and now is the right time? Henry, you need to calm down joo" I placed my left palm on my chest to feel the heartbeat and to calm the beating and the principal continued)

...is Williams Henry Opeyemi, SS 1A, Science Department" some students shouted "ehhhhhh!..." to show their happiness while some faces were neutral (not that happy and not sad) my heartbeats came back to normal immediately as the result has been heard, and I put on my smiling face as I climbed up to stand,
"Chai!!! See heads!!! I don die!" I exclaimed in my mind as I saw numerous students, and the principal continued
"...and the timekeeper for this session is Adewale Joel Johnbull, SS 1A, Science Department" some set of students shouted and jumped up to show their gladness and some faces still remained neutral as usual. Joel climbed up with big grin on his face exposing his white set of teeth on the black teeth-gum. "...these are the timekeeper and the assistant, the posts can still be withdrawn from them if they go against the school rules and regulations" principal said,
"God forbid" I responded in my mind.
"...obey them and listen to them" the principal concluded and handed the microphone over to Joel, he greeted, said some other things and ended with thank you. He returned the mic to one of the teachers while I was just standing, looking and smiling. The teacher dismissed the school, Joel and I had a handshake and jumped down, I went to carry my bag, Dave came to meet me with pity and unhappy face when even me was not unhappy,
"Come-on! Change that face" I said and smiled, I was looking for my dear friend, Deborah, when a tiny voice called me from the crowd,
"Opeyemi!!!" I looked back and saw her among the crowd struggling to find her way out, I used hand to demonstrate "come". She survived at last, we crossed the main field and headed home, Deborah got to where she would depart and I was feeling like not leaving her or like following her, she waved goodnight and Dave and I continued...

I got home, told my mom about the post, called my sister and told her too on phone, my sister showed some happiness before she said "why are you not the timekeeper?" I hanged up.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:31pm On Oct 10, 2015
More Than A Friend

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:32pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

SIX

The work began as the school prefect. Actually, we didn't have much to do, especially I, as an assistant, Joel would be the one to jingle the bell, he had got a wristwatch while I bought a N200 worth of wristwatch as well, all we had to do then was to control others to sweep, to cut grass and we also catch the latecomers, but remember we were still in SS1, the juniors we were to control were our mates, that made it somehow difficult, we would just jingle our dear bell and continue resting while others work.

The only thing I loved about being the prefect was I stopped sweeping, cutting grass, taking cutlass to school and receiving irrelevant cane/punishment, school became something easier and sweeter for me, the class captain had no right to write prefects' name among the noise makers, unless a teacher catches the prefect him/herself. "Wow! Sedentary life from SS1" I'd say in my mind, David too stopped doing all those hard school works that prefects should not do by forming strong-head even though he was not a prefect yet, sometimes he would be caned, sometimes he would escape it and go free, everything was going perfectly well, Deborah was my best female friend and after her, I preferred Taiwo again, David remained my loyal 6 while I was 5, other friends were just normal with me... ******fast forward******

The first term exam came, it was not that hard as I was able to read and understand most, I crammed some and was able to remember it in the exam hall, (la cram la pour), the exam went fine... inter class matches began, due to the fact that I didn't like playing football in school, some friends didn't know that I was a talented footballer (attacker). I told Joel I would like to play for our class, he doubted me but with the support of Quazeem and David who knew me then, they tried me in the first match against art department I played skillfully well and scored one brilliant goal, I surprised many students with my brilliant finish even though I played the shot twice as the goal keeper pushed it back to me, I was able to play just three matches during the tournament because I was helping some teachers to record marks, I scored two goals in three matches and SS3 won the cup at last.

The last Friday in first term, the day we collected our report cards, I was somehow scared but not too much, I had used all that day chitchatting Deborah, I asked her the grades she was expecting, she would mention A1 and B2, I'd laugh and ask "what of C4 and C5?", she'd deny them talk less of D7, E8 and F9. Joel went to jingle the bell, we prayed on the assembly ground, principal came, talked, advised and dismissed the school to go and get the report cards from our perspective class teachers, I collected my report card I was shocked when I saw English Language F9, "Kwat!!!" I shouted and quickly folded it into my pocket to check other grades somewhere else, I got to under one cool tree, brought it out and saw;
Agricultural Science A1
Mathematics B2
Computer Science A1
Geography A1
Yoruba Language A1
Chemistry C4
Physics B3.
"And what happened to my English answer booklet? I scored 17/20 in the test given, I did my assignment and got 8/10, that is 25/30 in CA only, this F9 can't be my handwork am sure", I said to myself, I was not that worried because I was sure of the lowest grade my English could be, not F9, I kept my result and started checking friends' results one by one.

It was a pity, my closest friend and also my seat mate (David) had about seven F9's, in short, what he collected as report card that day was nothing but "red card" upon our class teacher was not a football referee. Quazeem had fine result too, Joel had no F9, on knowing this, my F9 in English started aching my mind and I was not happy with it anymore, Joe would never show his result to anybody, he has even disappeared, (probably gone home),

"Where is this Deborah now?" I asked in my mind and decided to check around for her, she was in SS1B Science Department, that was the reason we didn't collect card from the same class teacher, finally I found her holding a white paper, pointing to me as if she has been searching for me also,
"Miss Portable, let thee checketh thy result for thou might have performed less than expectation", I said, jokingly, she smiled and gave the result to me, while I was still unfolding the result,
"Jesus!" I shouted to scare her,
"What is it again? Have my grades changed? (Smiles)" she uttered with no trace of fear. I was not that astonished seeing her grades, I knew she was the serious type and could even score more than that, the lowest grade she had was C5 in physics, I returned her result to her and I was somehow quiet,
"Hope no problem" she queried indirectly,
"Where is your report card?" She asked, I slotted my hand into my pocket and gave it to her,
"Ah! You too! God knows who Miss Adelaja gave our report card to for recording, Joe too had F9, the boy went to complain and she told him not to worry that she'll check it next term", as I heard that, my mind came down a bit,
"Really! Which Joe?" I asked immediately because we had almost three students bearing Joe in our class,
"Ajibade of course" she responded quickly,
"Ah; that's serious o", I said as I looked worried,
"Don't worry baby" she said, (smiling), I laughed out loud and looked at her face with the face of (are you joking?)
"You're calling an adult, your big bro, even an ancestor, you're calling him a baby", we both laughed as she put her hand around my shoulder and we stepped on the field to start going home.

I didn't even bother to ask of David's whereabout, I knew Quazeem was busy abusing him and mocking him that he was not a good defender, he collected red card.
Deb: Why are you not talking? And how is David's result?
I: My own result is making me to be Moody somehow and leave David and his result alone for now. (straight face)
Deb: Come-on! Cheer up joo. I already know that David had bad result, but you're not trying at all o.
I: (surprised) Who told you I marked any of our scripts? Am I the one that caused his failure? You better don't start.
Deb: Start what? Let me tell you the fact, your result supposed to be influencing his result positively, so that...
(I didn't allow her to finish the statement before I interrupted)
I:... so that he will stop reading totally and depend on me finally, right?
Deb: No. Don't misunderstand me. Just influence the boy positively, that's all.
I: Alright ma. (She smiled and we changed topic), she was about to branch as usual, we said the normal goodnight, she was about five meters away when I called her back and opened my arms for hug, she gladly threw herself into my arms and I whispered into her ear, "see you when I see you again". We departed.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:35pm On Oct 10, 2015
Typing...

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:36pm On Oct 10, 2015
Chapter Seven is ready!

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:38pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

SEVEN

The brief hug I had with Deborah blew away all the F9-burden in my heart, I felt like something great just happened to me, I could not stop thinking about her and I'd smile anytime I did.

I got home, showed the result to my mom and explained to her how the English failure happened, the same thing to my sister on phone, they were not totally satisfied but they believed me... the 4th day which was Monday, I went to David's house, without letting his parents see me because they'll ask about my result and start using it to abuse him, we got eachother, we talked, laughed and even quarrelled, I told him I'd be travelling to my dad's place in Lagos the following week, he was a bit sad on hearing that, I later talked on his result, how disappointed I was, and I advised him to start lesson with me and my other friend who was in SS3 in another school (Hammed) we nicknamed him (SOH CAH TOA), David responded well to my advice and thanked me for my concern, we hugged and departed, I went to PS2 shop, I was a wizard at playing the game then, I played three matches which was N50, I beat the owner of the PS2 shop twice (5:0 and 4:0), one guy paid and collected the game pad and I 'raped' him also (4:2) as he first-scored two goals. I went back home and Deborah's thoughts entered my heart again, I took my mom's phone, smuggled it into my room, opened my school bag and checked the back of my computer note, that was where I wrote the numbers of my friends that had phone, I dialed Deborah's number (visafone) (...ringing...)
Deb: Hello, who am I speaking with?
I: Hi, It's me, Henry.
Deb: Wow... Opeyemi... (I could feel her smile even on phone), you now own a phone right?
I: Wrong. This is my mom's phone, I stole her phone to call you. How are you doing?
Deb: I'm very fine thank you. What about you?
I: I'm doing well, I just called to tell you that I will be travelling day after tomorrow (Wednesday) to my dad's place.
Deb: Owww...why naw... OK let's see tomorrow before you leave then.
I: No, we can't, I have many things to do and many places to go tomorrow. I'll be back on Sunday or Monday morning latest, we shall see on Monday, I'll come to your mom's shop.
Deb: Can I later ca...
(She has not said "call" when the automated robot from the network provider suspended us with "one minute remaining"wink. I quickly ended the call so as not to finish my mom's airtime, I knew what Deborah was about to say, "I pray she does not later call my mom o" I said, not too loud as I returned mom's phone.

I began to prepare for my journey little by little, I was missing my lovely mom already... later in the night, dad called to confirm if I was still coming, I told him I would be arriving like Jesus the next day,
"I would have said your mother should follow you, but you're no more a kid, a fool at 10 this computer age, is a fool till Jesus comes, besides ,you are more than ten, so, don't let your small stature deceive you. Leave home early o, Lagos is not like Ogun state," my dad said to me on phone and I responded
"Am a big boy sir, I'll leave home early."
"Give the phone to your mom" he said while laughing to the big boy I mentioned earlier. I excused their conversation and went to the sitting room.
***fast forward***

It was on Wednesday morning, I had woken up earlier than expected so as to leave home early as my dad wanted, house chores was not my problems again, my sister has trained me with force and troubles, I finished all I had to do, took my bath and dressed up, I was putting on an Arsenal Jersey on a Jeans trousers, with white all-stars and my N200 wristwatch, I backed my bag after my mom ended the prayer, I was so happy, the first time only me would be travelling that far without anybody lapping me on the bus, I brought out my "sakomended" eye glasses that looked like the one Davido used in the video "Gobe", that got my mom laughing as I was going,
"Alangba kan'go (Lizard on glasses)" she said and still smiling,
"bye bye mom" I uttered and off to the main road, I took bike going to Motor Park as I would wave hand to anybody I knew beside the road, just to let them know that (na me! Only me dey travel! Big boy don come, level changed!), I entered the bus going to Atan (Iyana Agbara) as the bus conductor was just staring at me like "this boy dey run comot for house",
"Chai! It's a bad thing to be short o! See how this mumu dey look me like say shit dey my body" I was saying in my mind and looking at him too, I seriously felt like slapping him or dupe him to prove to him that I was only short and not dull. From Agbara to Ketu, then straight to Iyana-Era... off to Benjamin street.
"Lagos! Here I come!" I said out when I knew that nobody was hearing me,... I got home, relaxed, and ******fast forward****** my dad came from work later in the evening,

"The Henry" he hailed me, when I was approaching to greet and carry his bag, he dropped the bag on something and wanted to carry me up, in my mind I was like "for where?! I don chop up tey tey!" he later applied enough force and was able to lift me up to like (15-18) cm from the floor, I was just laughing when he dropped me and felt weak, I carried his bag in and the gist began. My dad could talk for hours and he was very funny,
"your age is now.... " he has not concluded before I interrupted, "...27years old sir" I said and was laughing.
"Hahahahaha..., that means you'll soon be older than your mom and not me," he said and continued laughing, his phone started ringing, he picked it and was on phone,
"PHCN, una no wan release light tonight?" I said, not too loud and went to take my brick-game.
On Sunday morning,
"so early! You've even dressed up and ready to go, so you have started missing your mom right?" My Dad said while he was still in bed, he looked up to check time,
"oh! To-eight, time has gone o, I will be late to church today if care is not taken, won't you wait to attend my church here before you travel?" He asked,
"No sir, I have an appointment with someone at home by 12noon" I said with serious face,
"Hahahahaha... appointment with the white men I guess" he asked indirectly and I smiled.
"Check that end, you'll see a school bag there fill with books, those are the textbooks your sister texted to me that you'll need for the session", he said, pointing to one corner in the room, I rushed there and saw a new school bag full of textbooks, I opened to check and discovered I already had two out of the nine textbooks, I thanked him and he gave me some amount of money, I was about to leave when he called me back,
"Wait let me drop you at the junction" he offered,
"No, don't go late to church, I can trek it, thanks sir," I declined politely,
"My regards to your mom, and give the other envelop to her" he said while I replied
"Definitely sir". "Oh! I forgot to pray!... Lord, as am going, go with me, let your Mercy follow me, in Jesus name I pray, amen" I prayed silently and said the amen out without closing my eyes, off to Ketu Junction.
I was already missing Deborah, my mom and David, I got to the junction, crossed to the other side... ******fast forward******

Plus Lagos traffic, plus bus conductors' problems and some other delays on the road, I got home around to-one, my mom was still in church, I relaxed for a while and slept off ******fast forward******. The day ended.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:39pm On Oct 10, 2015
I'm sure, by now you want to know the end, dont worry, just stay glued.

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:41pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

EIGHT

Around 8:47pm on Sunday, I was about going to bed,
"Mummy, I will help you to activate something on your SIM tonight so that they wont be deducting your airtime too much, your phone may be in my room overnight" I told my mom,
"Yes, exactly the way you activated it on Monday to Deborah's number right?" She asked, with straight face, I was shocked,
"Jesu!!! this girl has called my mom For God's Sake!" I exclaimed in my mind while my mouth was a bit opened, my mom responded as if she heard my mind,
"No, she didn't call me, I did. You were not smart enough to delete her Number and reset call duration so that I won't know, I checked my balance and noticed change, that's why I traced the cause" my mouth was opened wider in an amazement, she continued,
"You called your friend on my phone without telling me and you almost finished my airtime. You try that again, you win a serious punishment!" She concluded strictly. I was dumb and could not utter a word as she checked something on the phone and threw it on the chair I was sitting on;
"'E activate nkan ti efe activate' )Active what you want to activate sir)" she said and went into the room. I took the phone and went to my room, initially I wanted to call Deborah with her phone to inform her I was around, but I dared not try that because she was serious saying I could win punishment. I threw myself on the bed and checked balance, she had enough airtime to call, I was tempted to call but I flashed Deborah instead, in the next three minutes, a strange number called, I wanted to go and give the phone to my mom but I decided to pick it, on picking,

Caller: Hello Ope... (Deborah's voice)
I: (smiles) wow... Debby County... but why new Number?
Deb: Stop that name, I don't know the meaning of Debby County. This is my mom's number joo, am happy to know that you're back, how are you doing, how is dad?
I: He's fine, he said I should greet you (smiles)
Deb: If I hear that he knows me (smiles), are you still coming to our shop tomorrow?
I: Tell me the time your mom won't be around and I'll come by then.
Deb: Opeyemi!!!... Is my mom a ghost or are you coming to rub me ni? (She asked jokingly). I have told you several times that you have no problem with my mom, she understands that you're my fiend and nothing more, or are you more than my friend ni?
I: Is just that I won't like a situation whereby, she'll be mistaking me for the boyfriends (clear throat), and to your last question, I'm more than your friend, I'm your elder brother in the Lord. (We both laughed). So, I will come around tomorrow by 11am remember that your brother likes amala and ewedu soup, (smiles), so, prepare it for him.
Deb: (laughs) Alright sir, you shall eat it and wake up from your dream. (Laughs) Don't forget to bring the plantain you bought from Lag o, else, "gongo aso" troubles will take place.
I: OK, ten baskets of plantain as dowry (clears throat)
Deb: (laughs) don't bother, our female dogs are engaged already, maybe when we buy new female dog, you'll come with dowry. (we both laughed, she later told me that my mom called her and was nice to her).
"Goodnight dear" she said.
"Alright, sweet dreams" I responded and hanged up. I was still smiling heavily when my mom entered slowly,
"Sebi you're through with the activation, ehn, give me my phone I want to call my customer (Iya-Bisi)" she said and stretched her hand to collect the phone, I handed it over to her and she walked out. I rested my head on the pillow.

"Gosh! I could not delete Deborah's mom's Number before my mom collected the phone! I pray she does not call the number back; besides, since when has she been at the entrance before she entered? This my mom ehn, over-vigilant dey worry her, anyway, thank God I didn't say anything bad during the conversation." I said, not too loud and started thinking about Deborah and our recent laughs together on phone... my mom walked in again holding a carton,
Mom: Ope, have this, it is a Nokia phone, in it is a registered GLO SIM card and N200 recharge card, you can be using it to call Deborah your girlfriend, I know you love eachother, so don't use your love-life to disturb my phone and business again. Number two, you travelled to Lagos, you could not buy even a sachet of gala for your friend, shame, take this N200, buy her anything you like tomorrow when you're going to her shop by 11am, goodnight.
I was just looking with my mouth wide opened,
"This my mom ehn!" I exclaimed not too audible, I began to ask myself different-different questions to the extent that I forgot to say even 'thank you ma' to my mom as she went out.
I opened the carton, lo and behold; it was a Nokia 2690,
"Wow!!! A browsing phone!!!" I screamed aloud and woke up from my sweet dream, I checked time immediately and it was 9:45pm, my mom rushed in and asked,
"What happened to you? Where is the browsing phone?"
I responded, "nothing ma, it was a dream, no problem ma", she looked at me, shook her head sideways and said "pray before you sleep o",
"Alright ma" I responded as she closed my door slightly and went out.
"So, I have been dreaming after I finished speaking with Deborah? (I checked around if I could see any Nokia 2690, but I found nothing like that), but why this sweet thing con be dream naw? Nawa o, I even screamed out self, Mshhhw" I said then hissed, closed my eyes and slept off without praying.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
Updates loading...

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:46pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

NINE

Some metres to Mummy Deborah's shop, I checked my wristwatch and it was 11:15am, with my sharp and clear eyes, I could see Deborah from afar, sitting alone and operating her visafone. She was putting on a blue Jeans-skirt and a white and blue stripe shirt which something was written on but I could not see it clearly from afar., I was getting closer yet she has not seen me, I was backing the bag I used to bring textbooks from my dad's place, I got closer to their shop, I looked around the shop and she seemed to be the only one in the shop, "nice movement Henry!" I said to myself. When I was about 40metres to her shop, she looked at my direction smiled and clapped for like three seconds to show her gladness on seeing me, by then, I was able to read the label on her shirt around the chest, the label read "pretty? Or what do you think?" I read it silently and when I got to the entrance of the shop, the first thing I said was
"Yes, even more than pretty!" She was confused for a second before she looked at her chest and used two hands to cover it and started smiling,
"stay like that till I leave" I said, jokingly, I sat beside her on a bench and we had a side-to-side hug before the chat began;

I: See ehn, last night I didn't eat anything before I slept, this morning again I took Andrew-Liver-Salt two sachets simply because am coming here to eat here, now am here to eat anything, even anybody self.
Deb: Hahahahaha... Andrew-Liver-Salt on empty stomach, (she continued laughing)
I: Where is my amala and ewedu soup? (she stood up and went inside the shop)
"What's this girl up to? She should not tell me that she prepared that food o" I uttered silently as I sighted the customized name at the back on her shirt, which read "Portable", she came back holding something that was inside black nylon, Kwat rst truth ever" I said, she responded with "what's that" I used hand to demonstrate what was written on her shirt at the back as I was stretching the other hand to collect what she was holding;
Deb: You're not serious, I can be portable to some people but not to you the real portable. (Smiles)
She gave the food to me and it was meat pie, she went to their other shop and brought out 2 sachets of chilled water.
I: For your mind now, you don entertain me finish ba?
Deb: Na you sabi, if you no like am, give me and dey watch as I go chop am without table manner. (Smiles)
I: Oya take, (I stretched forward the paper used to wrap the meat pie) and I was holding the meat pie with the other hand.
Deb: (laughs) Oniranu, it was only the paper I gave you abi? Anyway, where is my plantain (rolls eyes)
I: Plantain... plantain... plantain...? Is that a name of any person, animal, place or thing? (Smiles)
Deb: Think with brain and answer my question. (Jokingly)
I: Kwhat!!!!!! Am the one that's not thinking with brain right? Am tired of all these abusive statements, (I stood up and packed the two sachets of water on the bench as if I wanted to leave)
Deb: Hahahahaha... you're angry with me and still packed my water, still holding the meat pie, oya drop them (she continued laughing), wow! You're angry indeed. (We both laughed)
I: Your plantain you said? But you told me that there is no female dog available for me to marry, (laughs)
Deb: (lol) see, don't trouble me, I knew you could not not bring anything for me, (hissed, frowned for a while and started smiling again as I was busy doing final judgement to the meat pie) I finished the meat pie and drank one and half sachets of water, then I looked up to concentrate on what she was saying, she continued;
Deb: In fact, the day you'll give anything to anybody free in my presence ehn, emmmmm... I will Peck you, (I smiled and asked "what if you're the one I give something to nko?"wink
Deb: Hehehe! Impossican't, you can't!
I: "What if" I do?
Deb: Emmmmmmm... I will kiss your lips once. (She pronounced the "kiss" silently and rolled eyes)
I laughed out loud as we continued chatting, I chitchatted her on how a bus conductor was stirring at me as if I looked like 'wanted', we chatted more and more, the gist could not finish, I checked time and it was 12:45pm, I dropped the bag I was backing and brought out the two textbooks that my dad bought for me which I already had,
I: Have these.
Deb: You mean I should help you to copy note again? besides, where is your note?
I: No, they are for you, I have the textbooks already and my dad bought them again, so I give you.
Deb: She opened the hardcover and found out I have designed her name on it with black ballpoint pen, (I did that in the morning before I left home)
Deb: Wow! And I don't have this MAN-Mathematics textbook and also this Essential Biology textbook, you just filled that space now, thanks so much, God will bless you and your dad.
I: Amen in dozens!!! Prayer warrior. (Laughs)
(She jumped up and hugged me on the bench I was sitting) the hug made me to feel like 1000A of current passed through my body, and my heart became healthier. She stood for a while and said
"hmmmmmmm... I remembered my statement that any day you give me something, I will kiss your lips once," I was just looking and smiling as she was demonstrating everything, she began to move closer to me, my heartbeat increased the speed at which it was beating, she was looking straight into my eyeballs as smiles filled her face, I started thinking
"hmmmmmmm so, my first kiss ever is going to be with this my heart desire" she was bending slowly closer and our faces were like 5cm apart... my eyes were closed automatically...

"Mo fe ra Pepsi! (I want to buy Pepsi!)" A boy shouted from behind, I opened eyes and looked back, it was one mechanic boy, that distracted the already flowing,
"Oh! God! Why!" I exclaimed in my mind, she went to attend to the boy, I could hear her arguing with the boy about the bottle of soft-drink he bought before, the argument continued, I began to conversate in my mind,
"So it won't happen today, God punish this mechanic boy on my behalf", her younger sister (Sade) came back from where I don't know, the mechanic boy later left, Deborah returned and we talked for like five minutes more, I then announced,
"I will be leaving now. My mom timed my coming here."
"Hmmmmmmm... OK o, thanks for coming anyway" she responded with unhappy face,
"see you later" I said and waved bye. (We were both smiling).
Off to PS2 shop.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:47pm On Oct 10, 2015
Chapter Ten in progress

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:50pm On Oct 10, 2015
I just hope there wont be intruder sooner or later

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:51pm On Oct 10, 2015
Ten!!!

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:53pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

TEN

I was really enjoying my holiday indeed, I would help my mom in her shop sometimes. Football was a must for me every evening. David and I went to lesson for like twelve days. I visited Deborah two more times. I would miss choir practice because of Chelsea match on some Saturdays and would be ready to face the punishment. I became sudden friend with Sulaimon (the son of the man that owned the PS2 shop), I would play free games and beat friends mercilessly while some would play draw with me and few were able to beat me. We were to resume the next Monday, my sister would be coming home in the next Saturday, I had been disturbing her for phone, she promised to give me when she comes, I could not wait for the next Saturday to have my own phone, most importantly my own number., the two phones I had used before (Nokia 3310 and Sagem MX2) had no SIM card, they were just for games. I bought new pair of school sandals from my friend who was a shoemaker, he was in art department. I was happy and sad to know that we were to resume the next Monday, I began to prepare for my next resumption.

On Saturday evening, my sister arrived as she said, I was so excited when I came back from choir practice and saw her in the sitting room, the first thing I asked was my phone.
I: Yes! Oya, where is my phone? (Grin)
Sister: You can't even greet me first, ask how school was, at least. Anyway, I didn't bring your phone. (Straight face)
I: Oh! No! OK, emmm... you're welcome ma, how was school,? how was your journey? How were studies and where is my phone? (We both laughed)
Sister: Funny boy, Pastor Ope, my mom said you went to church, how was practice?
I: It was glorious, where is your bag self?
Sister: Your mind is not even here, all your mind is on that phone. Go to your room, you'll see it on your bed.
I rushed in, I saw a Nokia 1200 on the bed,
"Yes!" I exclaimed, I took it, switched it on, rushed out again and thanked my sister, she started chitchatting me, all what she was saying were just stopping at the entrance of my ears as I had started playing game (soccer league). Our mom came back from where she went to, I showed my result to my sister and explained to her better about the English F9, she bought MTN card for me N100..******fast forward******

I was on the bed waiting for sleep and at the same time thinking of the coolest way to introduce my number to Deborah, I was thinking of calling her that night but my sister could be so vigilant, intelligent and tactical in nature, so I zeroed the idea of calling her yet. I began to think of how I would be smuggling my phone to school even though they didn't allow handset in my school then, I continued thinking on different things and later slept off.

Monday morning, the resumption day, my sister was going back to school also, I left home by 7:00am, got to school by 7:17am because I went to David's house to call him. School was cool, everybody was looking fresher and better, Deborah was a bit taller in school uniform but same stature, the term began and everything was going fine.

The 2nd Monday of the resumption, I lent my Chemistry note to Taiwo and forgot to write her name down, (I used to write the names of the friends that used to borrow my notes), she took the Chemistry, we didn't do Chemistry on Tuesday and Wednesday, on Thursday morning, someone just entered our class and said the woman selling puff puff was calling me, (one of the food vendors), I went to meet her at the canteen,
"Are you Williams Henry Ope..." before she pronounced Opeyemi, I interrupted;
"Yes, I'm the one.",
Vendor: Take, a lady forgot it here after using it to sit when she was eating.
I: Oh! I'v been looking for it, thanks so much ma.
I returned to class with anger and murmur. I kept my note, that was when I flashed back that I didn't write her name down that day,
"Hian!" I stood up to meet her?
I: Taiwo, my note, abi e never serve punishment finish since Monday?
Taiwo: Henry, errrmmmm... you know what? Sit down first, (I sat)
Taiwo: I............ I………………
I: You what naw? You love me? That's not a problem, thank God I love you too. (Normally she would smile to that, but she didn't). Why is your face like this,? Hope no problem.
Taiwo: I unfortunately lost your note.
I: You're jokingly right?
Taiwo: No. I can't joke with that. Please I'm very sorry, (she was so scared and it showed on her face, she knew I don't play with any of my properties), emmm... and I'v started writing another one, I will give you a complete note on Monday, please forgive me.
The way Taiwo was begging with full passion and soberness really touched me,
"Shay na me this girl fear like this? Omo! I get small mouth for this arena o" I said in my mind, I left her without saying a word, I went to my bag I brought out the note and went to meet her.
I: See, this is the note. (Smiling), you forgot it at the canteen and I was called to pick it up today.
Taiwo: (with joy and gladness) Oh! Oh! Oh!, I used it to sit when I was eating.

She went straight on her kneels, held my trousers "I'm very sorry dear, ma binu"
Just ordinary (I'm very sorry dear and her hands holding my trousers) has already cut almost six out of my veins, I had no option than to drag her up and told her I was not angry anymore.
I: To prove that, take the note again and copy what you wanted to copy, don't misplace it again o.
Taiwo: Wow! Henry, thanks so much, God bless you, (big grin)
I returned to my seat, saying in my mind "Henry! The gentle guy!" I smiled. ***fast forward***
The next day (Friday), during the long break, I was on my seat missing my phone, the phone was with Deborah playing game (rapid roll), Taiwo just sat beside me with something inside nylon,
I: The note has finally got lost right?
Taiwo: (smiling) No joo... I brought something for you.
I: (very glad in my mind) hmmmmmmm a "TomDom" right? (I intentionally merged the spelling of TOMTOM and CONDOM together)
Taiwo: (laughs) what for? Naughty boy, (smiles) not condom sir! (Rolls eyes)
I: Ah! Who mentioned condom now? (laughs). OK What's that?
Taiwo: Have it, and check it yourself.
(I collected the nylon, lo and behold, it was a plastic of yoghurt)
I: (smiles) thanks ma, I'm grateful.

We talked for a while, while the chilled yoghurt was chillaxing under my desk, Taiwo left, I waited til David came, we both drank the yoghurt (in case of unthinkable #winks), David later asked how I got the yoghurt after it has finished. Long break was over, Deborah brought my phone back, some classes held, closing hour and Adewale (Joel) went to jingle the bell, we closed. I was confused at what I saw on my phone when I got home, I wanted to dial Deborah's number but I could not find it there again.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:56pm On Oct 10, 2015
Typing....

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:57pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

ELEVEN

"What can be going on? Did she delete her Number from my phone? But why should she do that? Can it be because Taiwo gave me yoghurt and I told her? It can't be. Is it because Taiwo knelt for me and held my trousers? But the class was too busy, very few students noticed us, why should she be jealous self?" I was asking myself series of rhetorical questions with no response, I kept scrolling my contacts but nothing like "Portable" that I used to save her number, I wanted to go and check the back of my computer note when I noticed that I've been seeing a strange name among my contacts,

"Who owns this number self, when did I even save this?" I asked myself, the number was saved with "Mine" and a love symbol in front, I opened it and it was Deborah's number.
"sighs... She must have done this, does this mean I'm hers and she's mine?
"Hmmmmmm come to think of it, if I don't want to lie to myself, I truly love this girl, should I let out my mind to her? What if she says no? Our friendship will never remain the same again and I'm not ready to lose her as a friend,
"Why should I date her self when we love eachother for just being friends? Hmmmmmmm but I've to date someone just to know how dating life use to be, Yes! I think she'll be my first girlfriend" I thought of so many things in my mind and I decided to tell some friends to seek advices. I placed my thumb on the green key to call Deborah but I lost words, I dropped the phone and went to rest my brain, I was feeling sleepy that evening when my phone rang, I checked the screen and it was my sister, wow! Big sister remembered me;

I: Hello Sis
Sis: Ope, what's up?
I: I'm fine, any card for your big bro?
Sis: Card koo, ATM ni. I forgot to remind you something when I came home.
I: What's that ma?
Sis: Do you still remember your promise? DON'T HAVE A GIRLFRIEND in secondary school.
I: (silent for a while) But ma,.....
(she ended the call)
"Chai!!! What type of human is this for God's sake! In fact, am scared of the people am surrounded with self, I thought something in my mind the other day too, and my mom responded without hearing me, today again, this one has done the same, na me and una for this house. To you my sister; you're joking! Am going to have a girlfriend, if care is not taken, I'll date two at a time! Watch out!" I concluded and dropped my phone, I took one of my Jerseys, off my phone,
"Mom, am going to field" I told my mom,
"Come home early o" she replied, her voice shows that she was sleeping,
"Alright ma" I responded too.
"See how she responded immediately, the person I thought she was sleeping, that means she has not slept deep, who knows if she has been hearing my mind since. Who cares anyway!" I concluded and off to field.
I got to field, I played a little and remembered I wanted to tell my friends something, most of them were there that evening, Joel came, Quazeem, David, Kayode, and Saheed. We all sat on tyres...

I: Em... em... guys, I've one issue to discuss with you all.
David: Mad boy! We can't help you to beg anybody, you stole your mom's money and now using style to call us for begging, no way! Abi no be wetin you wan talk be that?
I: Gosh! Guy, you dey craze? You smoke wet weed? You no dey serious at all? The thing no be ordinary again o, them swear for you to be unserious always? Chai! The winch wey dey do you dey use technology join juju. (Laughs) Oya Dave, let's be serious.
David: Oya, tender your problem, gods are listening.
I: It is my case and Deborah, em...em... in short, the girl renamed her number on my phone to "Mine"
Kayode: Ehn, it means you're hers, what's so big there? Aren't you guys dating already?
Saheed: I tire o!
I: Noooooo, we ain't dating o, she's just my friend o.
Kayode and Saheed: (laughs)
Kayode: And you're that close? Guy, wake up, the babe loves you and you're dulling her big time.
Joel, exactly, no dulling again, I don tell you before na, grab her or I do.
I: You won't want to die na. (Laughs)
Quazeem: So, do the needful if you don't want the timekeeper to assist the assistant, (laughs) I'll call the girl for you on Monday.
David: Case closed. No time to waste time on timeless things like this.
I: Thanks all, but Quazeem, don't bother calling her for me. I'll see what to do.
We were already leaving when David carried the ball (health size 4), kicked a shot intentionally and it hit Quazeem, he pursued David while we left them and went home.
Deborah's thoughts would come to my mind, I would ignore, ******fast forward******.

After Sunday service on Sunday, Michael called me that he wanted to ask me something, (Michael was a friend of mine, he was in SS3 in my school by then, we were both choristers in church (T.A.C), same height same stature). Later after service, I waited till he was done.
Mike: How far Tobi?
I: As far as the distance from Belgium to Jerusalem (laughs)
Mike: Pretend to be normal at least. (Lol)
I: Am partially fine as hunger dey fire me. How service today?
Mike: You dey ask me? No be me and you dey make noise on the choir seat throughout the service? (We both laughed)
Mike: Em... em... I wanna ask you something...
I: This one wey you dey do em em, see ehn, as I dey so, I no get money at all.
(He started laughing. Laughing was one of the best things he used to do)
Mike: I want to know if you're dating Deborah.
I: This your question ehn, e dey suspicious o. Anyway, we're not dating.
Mike: Are you sure?
I: Jesus!!! Ogbeni (Mr Man)! Leave me. Am not sure.
Mike: (lol) Confused human being. You better be sure now, wetin concern me self.
I: OK. OK. Am very sure, we're not dating sir. Meet me at home or field.
I got home, ate and started thinking on my last evening discussion with my friends, their advice and the question Mike asked me in church today,
"I'm wooing Deborah officially on Monday (tomorrow)" I concluded and sealed my mind from any doubt.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 8:58pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

TWELVE

On Monday morning, I kept rehearsing all I've prepared overnight to tell Deborah so that I won't forget, I didn't involve myself in any unnecessary conversation that may make me forget my lines, we had assembly, we entered class, 9:00am, 10:00am, 10:25am,
"Where is Deborah naw? Is she dodging my proposal? Does she even know that 'the king' (I) will be approaching her very soon?" I asked myself because I didn't want anybody to know, when it was 10:30am and yet I have not set my eyes on her, I went to her seat to ask her seat-mates, I got there and saw her bag under the desk,

"This girl came to school naw, where is she now hiding?" I said to nobody in particular.
"Sitirat, please, do you know where Deborah is?" I asked Sitirat, one of her friends,
"Henry! Leave me alone and try www.Google.com!" She responded and hissed. I ignored her, she reacted like that because I wrote her name among the noise makers on Friday which the man came to beat them that Monday morning. I turned to Mary,
"Human being, please, do you know Deborah's whereabout?",
"Deborah's boyfriend, she's with Mrs Falade, helping her to do something since she came in the morning" she responded jealously.
I: Won't she attend classes today?
Mary: (hissed) We, that we're in the class since morning, is it not noise that has been everywhere? No teacher has entered this class today except the one you invited to flog them, wicked soul. (Smiles) You better go and find something done or you start writing the noise makers you came to write on earth.
I: (lol) And I'll make sure you carry first on the list, then it shall be times two. (Laughs)
Mary: If you can write my name, you should be able to write Deborah's name too (winks)
(That brought back to my mind what I've been rehearsing)
I left their seat and placed my head on the desk, I started thinking again
"OK now, what if she comes and I tell her, she jumps up and says I've heard and agreed? What will happen next? We will start dating and I won't be free with Taiwo, Bukola, Mary, Misturah, and others again, I will start limiting the rate at which I hold and rough-play with them so as to avoid jealousy,
"They will even stop all these their early good morning pecks. The Deborah am fainting for self has never pecked me like them, the day I supposed to realize my dream, the devil came to buy Pepsi, see, I'm not even telling her anything again, I'll follow what my sister said, if my friends don't like it, they should dive like Drogba on concrete floor"

I was lost in thought when a hand touched me from behind, I looked up and it was Deborah, I began to smile.
Deb: Don't smile joo... you don't even care, number one; you could not even flash me throughout yesterday, secondly, you have not seen me today which is unusual yet you didn't ask of me.

I: (as a sharp guy, I didn't even think of lies before four of them queued in my mouth already, I just chose the 1st on the list) Deborah mi, (smiling) don't think like that, I can't find your number on my phone again and I don't know it offhand, I would have checked my mom's phone but I had no access to it at all. Concerning the 2nd offence, I actually asked of you from Mary, she said you were with Alhaja Falade.
Deb: (face changed, smiling) I trust you. But why can't you find my number? Is your phone with you now?
I: Yes, it's. (I brought the phone out)
Deb: Now, go to contacts and type "M""i""n""e"
I: (I played along as if I've not known) Oh! It brought a name o, wow! It's your number. (I was looking at her as she was smiling)
Deb: I renamed it on Friday, (she quickly changed topic) What about the practical they said we will be having today?
I: (silent for a while) Yea, that is 2nd to the last period. Lest I forget, what were you doing with Alhaja Falade?
Deb: I was just helping her to mark commercial class assignments while she was resting early this morning inside Mr Fash's office, imagine!
I: I don't want to say anything o, because anything I say here now may be used against me in court of law. (we both laughed)
Deborah went back to her seat. ******fast forward******

My friends would abuse me and call me names for not being a man enough, David (the short man devil) would even abuse me aloud in the class until I changed it for most of them and it reduced, Michael would ask me about Deborah which I was jealous but didn't show it, Taiwo became more nice to me, nothing has changed about Deborah and I. Days to weeks to months, holidays came holidays went... here we were in SS2 third term.

On this awkward Monday afternoon after long break, we were to have Agricultural Science, the mistress was pregnant then she could not teach, the assistant class captain (Mary) went to collect mistress' note to copy on the chalkboard for us so that the mistress would come for explanation later. I went to the school canteen to buy sweet (splash), before I came back, Mary has gone very far with the note, the girl was so fast then that we nicknamed her "Bajaj" (a name of a bike), when I came from the canteen, I went to meet her on the board that she should please wait a little bit for me to get to where she was or get near, she bluntly disagreed, I begged begged and it was not working, I was about to leave when she noticed the sweet I was licking, she called me back and said she would stop for me to copy only if I could give her one of the remaining two sachets of sweet in my chest pocket, as stingy as I was then, I denied the option without thinking twice, I later trapped her on a condition too,

"OK, only if you can collect the sweet with your mouth, from my mouth" she 1st said no and I was happy, she thought for a while and said "Oya come, I'll take it like that" the whole class was watching our drama and waiting for my next action
I: You mean you will use your mouth to collect it from my mouth?
Mary: Yes! You're too stingy! I will take it from your mouth. Stingy boy!
I: Thank you, am not even giving again, desperate girl. (Laughs)
(the front part of the class laughed)

The next thing I saw was David and others stood up;
David: Henry, you dull no be small! My neighbour wey I think say e mumu pass self just dey learn from you! I trust myself!
Kayode: This Henry just dey irritate me, OK, I go give you your sweet back, let her take it with her mouth.
Saheed: God punish devil! Shay na me go see opportunity like this and I no go execute am sharp sharp with speed of light? Taaah!
I was confused and still standing there thinking of what to do.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 9:00pm On Oct 10, 2015
The ending may not be what you're thinking

1 Like

Re: More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) by Hawlahscho(m): 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2015
⇨It Continues⇦

THIRTEEN

David: The idiot won't do it, I swear!
As I heard what David said last, I just turned back and stretched the sweet out of my mouth a bit, holding it with my lips, Mary moved closer, folding the mistress' lesson note she was holding, we got closer to eachother and she grabbed my head so that I won't shift my head again and say no, as our lips touched oneanother, I dont know how the sweet went back to my mouth and our lips began to move slowly and rhythmically, I noticed that the note she was holding dropped and we were lost in the realm of passionate kiss.

The girl was an expert, I was not a novice too even though that was my first French kiss, I have watched different Nollywood, Ghallywood movies, I would rewind any kissing scene as much as possible and I used to kiss mirrors and palm (lol), so, I've prepared myself enough for the emergency and I was able to face her in the presence of the class, the kissing was still going on as if we had eachother in mind before, the girl's hands were not stagnant (you know) and mine too were somehow doing what their hands do in Ghallywood movies, all I could sense then was the students' voice and some closer guys shouting

"Wa sere Henry! Your papa dey kiss! Oshe! Give her! Show her! Tell her! Etc" while the ladies were shouting "eeeeeeeh!!!" I sensed that the noise became silence, the next thing I heard was the sound of cane on someone's (Mary's) back "Pheeeew! Pheeeew!!" Twice, as I opened my eyes the cane landed on my back too twice and the person exclaimed

"In The Class?!!!". I started looking at the floor and I said in my mind, "And they finally pushed me to it!"
Mrs Adelaja was standing, holding cane with her mouth wide opened, when she finally saw that I was the one she looked at my face again to confirm because that was the last thing she would expect from me. "Henry!" She exclaimed, "This is not truth, I can't believe this is you, the upcoming head-boy/assistant, both of you should follow me to the principal office now" she commanded and told the class she was coming for their own punishment. We got to the principal's office and she narrated everything to him, it was not funny to hear the principal's response,

"This one (pointing to Mary) may do it. But this boy (pointing to me) will never do such. I find it difficult to believe this, if truly they did it, go and give them the punishment they deserve" principal said and the mistress was more angry, she looked at me again and I started dropping tears, cursing David and Co in my mind. We were taken to the school mini field that looked tlike bush, she measured a very wide, large and long space for us to clear on or before next Friday, she left.
"So, my 1st kiss led to this punishment?" I said in my mind and shook my head sideways in soberness.
Farmer was better than the two of us in the school that week because farmers do rest, but ours was a reversed case, Mrs Adelaja must not see anybody helping us, Saka (a friend) that tried it was given where to clear too without any excuse, who could near us again and change occupation from student to farmer.

Deborah came to meet me on Thursday afternoon when the school was dismissed, I was thinking she would be jealous of what happened even though she was not in class when it happened, I was sure that David would have narrated to her with exaggeration, she ran to meet me as I was leaving the mini field to the class;

Deb: Ope; (pity face)
I: Deborah, you're here (looking guilty)
Deb: Sorry ehn, (smiling) but how did it happen? It pained me I was not there, I would have seen how you kiss, (smiles)
I: Deborah, I was pushed into that and am not happy with it at all. So, I won't be able to explain how it happened.
Deb: Of course I know, David told me that he led the team that pushed you but he did not know it'd be like this, I wish I could help, I feel your feeling dear, don't worry you'll finish it tomorrow or come back this evening.
I: Thanks a lot, am surprised with your words.
Deb: You're welcome, since Monday that you guys have left class, we have so much missed you, especially these three people, (me, myself and I)
(We both smiled)
I: Don't worry, I'll be back fully for you and you alone on Friday (Tomorrow), we both laughed and started going home. ******fast forward******

I was very weak by the time I got home, I didn't tell my mom about the kissing incident neither was I praying that she should know. I finished eating and strolled outside for fresh air, I remembered I was not with my phone, I went back in to take it so that I'd call Deborah and thank her/hear from her, as I returned back outside, I saw David and Saheed in front of our house, both were holding a cutlass each, I was looking at them smiling small-small, they looked at me for a while and was smiling too, they just passed by me and went inside to greet my mom,
Dave and Saheed: Good evening ma,
(When I heard them greeting my mom, I joined them inside to know what they were up to because since Monday that we were caught kissing, I and any of them had not had a conversation till that evening)
Mom: How are you boys?
David and Saheed: We're fine thank you ma. We came to call Henry, we were given a punishment of cutting grass today in our class for making some noise, they said we must finish it before tomorrow, we could not finish our portion during the school hours, so we decided to go back after school.
Mom: Ope, and you didn't tell me this since, what if I had another work to give you?
I: (I played along) Ermmmmm... I just finished eating, I was about to tell you when they arrived.
David: I-D-10-T (pronounced "I-D-TEN-T"wink Id10t farmer, go, take your cutlass and let's go and finish our portion with Mary (he used I-D-TEN-T so that my mom won't understand that he called me idiot, and he added Mary so that I'd understand better in case I have not)
Mom: Anyway, no problem, you guys should be careful with cutlass o and be vigilant in case of snakes.
(I was inside looking for my cutlass) David and Saheed replied "Alright ma"
Mom: But, I'v not seen you before (pointing to Saheed)
David: Ah! This one, you can't know him, he's the one that stole N250,0000 from... (Saheed hit David's head from behind)
Saheed: Ah! David! You don't even know what to joke with anymore. Don't mind him ma, he's joking. My name is Saheed, I'm also their friend.
Mom: (laughing) I already knew Dave, he's a comedian. (I came out with cutlass)
I: Don't mind that thing (Dave) ma, Saheed is our friend, classmate and... and... and our partner in crimes. (we all laughed)
Mom: Funny boys, come home early o.
We left home, headed to our school, nobody talked for the 1st three minutes, David just slapped my head from back, "Paaaaaa!" And was ready to run.
I: You drink trophy? You want me to beat you to death so that you'll push me into another trouble right? E no go work you.
David: You dey craze, trouble abi wetin you talk? You no well, tell me say you no enjoy that French kiss made in France (I was smiling and Saheed was laughing). But Henry, like seriously, am sorry because it led to punishment, had I known, I'd not have supported you doing that, forgive your bro for that.
I: I was not angry with you guys joo, it's just paining me that they caught us.
Saheed: But guy, you bad o, if mistress no enter before nko? You go pull her skirt up finally? But mistress bleeped up o I swear!
I: Skirt? Was I pulling anything?
David: Ah: "Were o mo sa!" (Mad boy no know) sebi I tell you say hin dey spirit that time.
I: Na una sabi.

We got to school and began to cut the grass, praying that Mrs Adelaja should not think of coming to school for anything that evening, the remaining part was not that much again as Dave and Saheed worked like tractor,
Dave: You and Mary should be able to finish this tomorrow,
I: Yes of course, thanks so much guys.
We left school and went back to our different homes.

Friday morning, Mary and I have resumed to the field, no talking since Monday as if we hated eachother or we were shy, we worked for like five minutes and she decided to rest as she used to do almost every five minutes, I broke the silence,
I: Emmmmmmm... Mary, am very sorry for putting you, a lady into this type of punishment that's not meant for ladies. (Looking sobered)
Mary: (as if she has been expecting me to talk) No... Henry, I should apologize instead, you know I have spoilt your image, name and future post. Those three things at once just because of kiss, I should have volunteered myself to be punished alone but I would die if I face this alone, Henry pls forgive me, am so sorry.
I: (I reasoned to what she said and I felt her concern) Don't worry, all will be well with the name, image and the future post, "Que Sera Sera" (What will be, will be)
(We both smiled) we continued cutting the grass...
I: (clears throat) Baaaad girl (laughing), your lips succulent die!! (Laughs)
Mary: Hahahahaha.... you too be badoo, this your innocent face can confuse even the gods...
(We continued the naughty chat) In the next few minutes we finished everything, went to apologize to Mrs Adelaja, she said she has heard how it happened from Salamot, that our friends boosted our morale, she advised us and told us that she lied to other teachers that we wanted to fight, that's why she punished us. I was happy hearing that, we thanked her once again and left for class.

⇨To Be Continued⇦

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Divided Emotions / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 249
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.