Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (52324 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by lyricalz: 9:16pm On Oct 20, 2015
Wado
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Lol. It's possible for dialects to be variegated. I think what matters here is the proto-Isoko which is the central one. Even Nigerian English, a dialect of world Englishes, has sub dialects in the North, East, West and South. Even Agbon has varieties. Agbon spoken in Kokori is deeper than Agbon spoken in Eku.

Isoko has all the potentials that justify its label as an ethnic nationality. However, I believe that there is something political about them . The languages are just too similar and the culture too alike for them to be different. Theirs is a typical Igbo-Ikwerre, Efik-Annang case @Goodboiyy.

Yes as 4 The political aspect, I think you should blame awolowo... He his the brain behind this Isoko of a Thingy..

Secondly Isoko never want to be associated with us, they feel its an abuse..

@ fratermathy So happy.. This thread hit FP.. oya make we do Prayer for that 1 I create today..

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:16pm On Oct 20, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Even in a minority tribe/language? 11 dialects! What could be the cause of this great division?

Like someone said, the tower of babel must have been built in Delta State! smiley

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:17pm On Oct 20, 2015
IYANGBALI:
i hear say urhobo people no dey shave nor trim the bear bear wey dey their armpits and yansh>. Vickyrotex and rokiatu you are from that area,is it true? URHOBO means IRUN OBO in Yoruba languagegrin grin grin grin grin

And people that are DIRTY by NATURE aren't from where you come from? Please spare me that tribalism. angry

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

And people that are DIRTY by NATURE aren't from where you come from? Please spare me that tribalism. angry

Ignore the fool

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by JoshB92: 9:23pm On Oct 20, 2015
saga.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 20, 2015
Osirimononaye:
Urhobo Wadooooohh!!.....
Well Am From Orogun, I Can Our Language Has Alot Of Twist And Turns...We Have The Ability To Understand All Other Urhobo Ethnic Groups.
Once Again...Ihwo Urhobo Wadooo!!

Lolz... u lie... if UDu speak.. u go run

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by igbsam(m): 9:27pm On Oct 20, 2015
Urhobo wadoooo!

Proudly Urhobo/Mosogar

Urhobo ovuovo!

4 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Lucky4real28(m): 9:34pm On Oct 20, 2015
I am from orogun and I think our urhobo is simple, just like the commonly spoken around all divisions of urhobo people, the people from udu and efferun speaks a much difficult to understand urhobo..sometimes when my friends speak I just get lost and sometimes use my initiative..lol
Nice and informative thread, nice job OP

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by samokofafrica(m): 9:34pm On Oct 20, 2015
Thank you for your explanation. I also urge you to write a book on this.but you have to consult widely for more important information as regard this language. Feel free to reach me for other details. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Where did you go missing so that I can help you back on track?
Uhm...Just about Everything please? embarassed
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by mulattoclaro(m): 9:36pm On Oct 20, 2015
There's an urhobo dialect spoken in edo state. Though they're not much. Urhobos are wonderful people. They're our brothers. I like the Itsekiris and the ijaws too. South south is a region with very rich cultural heritage. I'm proud to be from the south south. Martineverest, Goodboiyy tonyebarcanista, and Co from south south, you guys rock.

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by xakakes: 9:43pm On Oct 20, 2015
This is a beautiful thread Oshare you have done well-I Rep Agbarha-Warri Urhobo

3 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
isoko people always wanno fight or become very angry wen dey hear dey er under urhobo. the truth is that NO MATTER THE LEVEL OF PRIDE THE ISOKO PEOPLE HAVE, THEY ARE STILL UNDER URHOBO

I see them as the prodigal children of d urhobo nation. trying to raise shoulders with its source/parent(Urhobo) the ofoni people should b in better position to separate demselves. but why would they? because dey know dere's nothing like unity.

proudly an urhobo/central urhobo ....AGB.....HO

3 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by scholes0(m): 9:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

That is what we are figuring out bro. You can join in the argument for and against. We are all learning. smiley

I think isoko should be an Urhobo dialect.
let's not deceive ourselves here

3 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
Estharfabian:
Uhm...Just about Everything please? embarassed

Urhobo is a language spoken in Delta State. It is the 5th largest ethnic group coming after Ijaw. Urhobo language is like Edo and is derived from it. Urhobo language, however, is LARGE and has a lot of dialects and among this we have the Central Urhobo spoken in Ughelli and Agbarho(places in Delta State), Udu, Uvwie spoken in Effurun and environs (Warri), Okpe spoken in Sapele, Others are Agbon, Abraka, Ughievwien, Agbarha, Orogun, and Ofoni which is spoken in Bayelsa State. The article is basically about the similarities and differences between these dialects. Just like we have Lagos Yoruba (Awori or so), Kwara Yoruba (Igbomina), etc or Ikwerre Igbo, Ndokwa Igbo, Owerri Igbo, etc. I hope I have reduced the confusion? smiley wink
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by otokx(m): 9:51pm On Oct 20, 2015
My people, my people, we indeed have a big heart.

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Mcslize: 9:53pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Lol. Seriously?
I even shortened alot of things. Thanks anyway!
Thumb up
wrong: Oduophiri Correct: Uduophori

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
Mcslize:

Thumb up

wrong: Oduophiri Correct: Uduophori

Thanks for pointing out that oversight.! Kobiruo..
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Yrey: 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2015
Proudly Urhobo!Repping Abraka

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by philips70(m): 10:01pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I am certainly not in the mood to unearth grievances and what not. We all know the simple, undeniable and basic fact that needs to be known: Urhobo vi Isoko, Ovuo'vo!

Are you here to distort history or to educate people? Isoko is not Urhobo and has never been Urhobo. They all migrated from Benin in different times. Is Esan Bini or vice versa? Is Etsako people Ora or Igarra? You don't have to bring age long contentious issues and state them as facts in a public forum. Don't rewrite people's history for them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 10:02pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Urhobo is a language spoken in Delta State. It is the 5th largest ethnic group coming after Ijaw. Urhobo language is like Edo and is derived from it. Urhobo language, however, is LARGE and has a lot of dialects and among this we have the Central Urhobo spoken in Ughelli and Agbarho(places in Delta State), Udu, Uvwie spoken in Effurun and environs (Warri), Okpe spoken in Sapele, Others are Agbon, Abraka, Ughievwien, Agbarha, Orogun, and Ofoni which is spoken in Bayelsa State. The article is basically about the similarities and differences between these dialects. Just like we have Lagos Yoruba (Awori or so), Kwara Yoruba (Igbomina), etc or Ikwerre Igbo, Ndokwa Igbo, Owerri Igbo, etc. I hope I have reduced the confusion? smiley wink
Ikwerre is not Eboe
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
philips70:

Are you here to distort history or to educate people? Isoko is not Urhobo and has never been Urhobo. They all migrated from Benin in different times. Is Esan Bini or vice versa? Is Etsako people Ora or Igarra? You don't have to bring age long contentious issues and state them as facts in a public forum. Don't rewrite people's history for them.

Okay. Nor be fight. I have heard you. Point noted sir! According to Philips70, Isoko and Urhobo are different tribes. You happy now? smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by HopeAtHand: 10:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Lol. It's possible for dialects to be variegated. I think what matters here is the proto-Isoko which is the central one. Even Nigerian English, a dialect of world Englishes, has sub dialects in the North, East, West and South. Even Agbon has varieties. Agbon spoken in Kokori is deeper than Agbon spoken in Eku.

Isoko has all the potentials that justify its label as an ethnic nationality. However, I believe that there is something political about them. The languages are just too similar and the culture too alike for them to be different. Theirs is a typical Igbo-Ikwerre, Efik-Annang case @Goodboiyy.

About Igbo and Ikwerre..are you talking about Ikwerre north or Ikwerre South? Cos last time i checked an Igboman will live in a town like Rumuekpe, Ndele or Ibaa and will need an interpreter throughout his stay.

We know Port Harcourt, Obio Akpor and Kelga Ikwerres might some Igbo influence on their due to migration and Aro movement, Emohua is another entirely different issue..

@topic..im impressed.

Urhobo Wadoo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
omonnakoda:
Ikwerre is not Eboe

Its alright! Point noted bro.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by detagabriel(m): 10:06pm On Oct 20, 2015
Pls isoko is never a dialect of urhobo.....rather benin.....get ur fact right....isoko migrated from benin......apart from olomoro dat us from urhobo

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 10:09pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Its alright! Point noted bro.
You are welcome!!
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:10pm On Oct 20, 2015
HopeAtHand:

About Igbo and Ikwerre..are you talking about Ikwerre north or Ikwerre South? Cos last time i checked an Igboman will live in a town like Rumuekpe, Ndele or Ibaa and will need an interpreter throughout his stay.

We know Port Harcourt, Obio Akpor and Kelga Ikwerres might some Igbo influence on their due to migration and Aro movement, Emohua is another entirely different issue..

@topic..im impressed.

Urhobo Wadoo.

Thanks for educating me more. I dont really know much about the Ikwerres. I was basically under the impression that they are akin to Igbo like the Efik/Ibibio dichotomy. Since you have mentioned more, Im in a much better place. However, be that as it may, we must consider several other factors other than language in adjudging whether or not a tribe is indeed a tribe or merely a dialect, sociolect or idiolect as the case may be. I believe the Ikwerre case is that of both a dialect and sociolect. Hence Ikwerre is a linguistically modified version of Igbo with a different cultural and ethnic background. So the language is Igboid but the people are not Igbo in essence. So also with Urhobo and Isoko and Mr. Philips70 and Detagabriel, please take note! Isoko is linguistically tied with Urhobo whether we accept it or not. That is a blind truth. However, Isoko, by virtue of choice and self-determination, is ethnically different from Urhobo. History, legends and myths play no role in current linguistic disposition. They are only historical markers and probably hyperbolic, allusive or fabricated at worse. If history and myths dictate language, the Ikas would be speaking an Edoid language and not an Igboid language.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 10:13pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

Thanks for educating me more. I dont really know much about the Ikwerres. I was basically under the impression that they are akin to Igbo like the Efik/Ibibio dichotomy. Since you have mentioned more, Im in a much better place. However, be that as it may, we must consider several other factors other than language in adjudging whether or not a tribe is indeed a tribe or merely a dialect, sociolect or idiolect as the case may be. I believe the Ikwerre case is that of both a dialect and sociolect. Hence Ikwerre is a linguistically modified version of Igbo with a different cultural and ethnic background. So the language is Igboid but the people are not Igbo in essence. So also with Urhobo and Isoko and Mr. Philips70 please take not. Isoko is linguistically tied with Urhobo whether you accept it or not. That is a blind truth. However, Isoko, by virtue of choice and self-determination, is ethnically different from Urhobo. History, legends and myths play no role in current linguistic disposition. If it did, the Ikas would be speaking and Edoid language and not an Igboid language.

You believe? Based on what exactly?

Ikwerre is a language and not a dialect. STOP that already
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:15pm On Oct 20, 2015
omonnakoda:

You believe? Based on what exactly?

Ikwerre is a language and not a dialect. STOP that already

Please dont raise feathers too soon. I made a logical argument. You have to counter it with meta-analysis or entitle me to my opinion as I have to yours.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top Igbo Gospel Band In Between 1980s And Early 90's / Oluwo Akanbi: Infect Me With Coronavirus & Leave The Rest Of The World Out Of It / I Am Accountable To Only One KING - Ooni Of Ife Speaks (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.