Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,637 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! (2197 Views)

Italy Visa / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening / USA Visit Visa Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:03pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hello house. Please I need a step-by-step guide. I hitherto wanted to go for my Masters in the US .Everything was set, I got my F1 visa with relative ease( thankfully) . Along the line, a lot of options came up and I chose the Job.

Now, I have to travel to the same US for business development (work related sha). I read somewhere I may not be granted any new visa since my F1 Visa is still active. I'm skeptical about using my student visa for non-academic activities.

Now has anyone been in my shoes? How did you handle it? I have an active student Visa and I need Visiting Visa. How do I go about it? Thank you for your response in anticipation. kiss

1 Like

Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 11, 2015
Apply for visit visa.
You can't use your F1 for non academic purposes its illegal.
Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by Miami11: 7:56am On Oct 11, 2015
I dont think you can have both
Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by MsGlobalwonder(f): 12:32pm On Oct 11, 2015
salsera:
Apply for visit visa.
You can use your F1 for non academic purposes its illegal.
it's illegal to use student visa for Visit right? Will I be given Visit Visa if my F1is still active?
Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by MsGlobalwonder(f): 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2015
Miami11:
I dont think you can have both
oh wow. You mean I won't be given a visit visa if I apply for it? *sigh
Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 12, 2015
MsGlobalwonder:
Apply for visit visa. You will be interviewed then you can explain why you never used the F1 visa. Just tell them the truth at the interview and stop fretting.

2 Likes

Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by MsGlobalwonder(f): 12:46pm On Oct 12, 2015
salsera:

Apply for visit visa. You will be interviewed then you can explain why you never used the F1 visa. Just tell them the truth at the interview and stop fretting.
thank you.
Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by cozybunch: 5:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
MsGlobalwonder:
Hello house. Please I need a step-by-step guide. I hitherto wanted to go for my Masters in the US .Everything was set, I got my F1 visa with relative ease( thankfully) . Along the line, a lot of options came up and I chose the Job.

Now, I have to travel to the same US for business development (work related sha). I read somewhere I may not be granted any new visa since my F1 Visa is still active. I'm skeptical about using my student visa for non-academic activities.

Now has anyone been in my shoes? How did you handle it? I have an active student Visa and I need Visiting Visa. How do I go about it? Thank you for your response in anticipation. kiss

You will not be allowed to enter in without the purpose of student status. Coming in with F1 visa will require the cbp officer ask you quentions and proper documentation with sole purpose of coming to school. Coming for business purposes with a student visa is mixing apple with orange. Your F1 visa will be concealed with prejudice. With that type of condition you will be banned from coming to u.s for some time

Hence you have change of mind from studies, you have to go and apply for b1/b2 visa which gives the VO the authority to conceal the F1 without prejudice. There is nothing wrong with change of plan and nothing wrong with giving them updates of your new status.

Good Luck

3 Likes

Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by MsGlobalwonder(f): 6:48pm On Oct 12, 2015
cozybunch:

You will not be allowed to enter in without the purpose of student status. Coming in with F1 visa will require the cbp officer ask you quentions and proper documentation with sole purpose of coming to school. Coming for business purposes with a student visa is mixing apple with orange. Your F1 visa will be concealed with prejudice. With that type of condition you will be banned from coming to u.s for some time

Hence you have change of mind from studies, you have to go and apply for b1/b2 visa which gives the VO the authority to conceal the F1 without prejudice. There is nothing wrong with change of plan and nothing wrong with giving them updates of your new status.

Good Luck
. *sigh* fears allayed. Thank you! kiss
Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by ttmacoy: 2:30pm On Oct 13, 2015
When you apply make sure you mention that you can already been issued an F1 visa, and if successful with new application your F1 will be cancelled.

You have not committed any offence by not using the visa.

At the most they ask why you didn't use it and you explain e.g. you got a good job offer which you couldn't refuse.

MsGlobalwonder:

1 Like

Re: I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! by sonnie10: 6:12pm On Oct 28, 2015
Students are allowed work study after a while. But when you use the term "business" it gives a different meaning.

(1) (Reply)

Attn: Canadian Student Visa Application / Topic: Do You Wish To Learn German Language Under 2-3 Months For You Visa / Yellow Fever Certificate And Vaccination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.