Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,585 members, 7,770,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:25 AM

Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. (33209 Views)

Ebiseri Aginighan: I Got A Federal Government Job In Abuja — Without Connection / 3 Unemployed Graduates In One Family Get Federal Jobs Without Godfather / Miraculous Way I Got A Job Without Connection!!! - Life Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by ajasa4link: 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2015
As we all know the unemployment crisis is very much real and giving many a graduate headaches everyday applying for jobs online, sending CVs and not getting replies etc. However people are still getting out of the job hunting market everyday(just like I did last month), so I will like to share my story with those still in the market and they can learn one or two things from it.

Right from the moment I graduated from school I've always be an optimist that I won't be staying at home months after service hunting for jobs, even when the reality of the labour market has not dawned him. I've been on nairaland since 2009 as a registered user and not visited the jobs section until the middle of my service year earlier this year, and I started coming in to read interview tips, aptitude test tips and other educative tips. Then the reality of the labour market hit me when I started reading about people lamenting about not getting jobs two years after nysc even after graduating with 2.1,but being an optimist I reassured myself am definitely not going to stay that long before getting something worthwhile doing. Immediately I sat down and planned how that was going to be a reality.

Fast forward to July 2, POP came I collected my discharge certificate and as part of my plans to get a job as soon as possible I left my PPA in kebbi state that night(yes I served in kebbi where I stayed 10 long months without travelling once as part of saving for the great journey ahead after service) and got to Lagos the next day in the evening. The weekend was used for resting and updating my cv and applying for the few jobs I can apply for online.

The next week the journey started in earnest and I entered the streets with a friend of mine who also just passed out. We first got a list of the companies in our field of study, their addresses, we zoned them and made as much copies of our CVs as we can. So if we go to V. I today, we make sure we drop CVs in in as much companies we can locate in that area especially the head offices where their HR is dominated. We faced different challenges like gate men not even allowing us to get to reception, while some receptionist collected the CVS grudgingly as if they will never get it to the HR.
However,it all started paying off when we started getting invites for tests and interviews some of which we passed and others we never got feedback. Any day we go to write a test or attend an interview, we make sure we drop CVs with other companies in that area immediately after the test thereby saving money we could have used to come and drop the cv another day. While writing this tests, I was connecting with people collecting numbers so that they can share vacancies they hear of with me via whatsapp. Note I got some offers too, but mostly marketing and I have determined never to take a marketing job, in fact my was after 3 months of job search and no job I will go for teaching job since I did that during my nysc days and I even got a recommendation letter from my employer which was even a unity school. So I declined the commission based marketing jobs.

Fast forward again, a friend one day asked me for an advice concerning two different offers he got from two different companies Willing to employ him and just like a typical nairalander I asked HOW DID U APPLY?..
Then he gave me the game changer, he went to the regulators website i. e the regulator of all registered companies in our field, copied the names of the MD's and each MD's phone number and sent them text msg telling them he is a graduate of..... University, studied....with....grade and willing to learn and work under him.
Immediately I saw the intelligence in this idea because he has beaten all protocols, all obstacles on his way and has gotten into the heart of the MD. So after giving him the needed advice, I borrowed his wisdom and also followed his path, both enough credit and started rolling out the texts. The next week I was invited for a chat /interview with the MD of one of the firms,where I did well and promised to get back to me. The next two weeks I went for another chat/ interview with one of the MD's which later turned to a 3man panel where I was seriously drilled and asked every possible question concerning my field which I was grateful for because I dusted it all and left their jaws dropping. The MD told me he doesn't attend to CVS sent to his email, but the text msg got him. He was like, I need to see this guy who has te balls to try to access him directly. Then the MD asked me if I sent to other companies the same msg I sent to him and I admitted I did,but it was only to the top players in the industry because it was a did a stratified sampling in selecting them. Then we discussed pay and he said I was asking for too much for someone who has only theoretical knowledge and no practical experience. He even said if I wanted to marry with the money to which I politely explained my t-fare is much and I want to save towards my professional exams which is highly expensive. He now asked me the delicate question if I should not be contacted any further if they are going to pay lower than the minimum I gave. Then I told him provided the job gives me a prospect of a career growth and an opportunity to learn under one of the major players in the market, I can always improvise and live with the little difference that will be in the pay. I was told I will be contacted on their decision. I went back to my job search both online and offline and I've even done medicals in another company but not yet given offer, then I got a call two weeks after the interview with the MD to come pick up my offer letter and resume tomorrow. I was somehow discouraged since I know the pay will be lower to the one I already did te medicals, but I just braced up myself and said I should go for their offer first since I haven't gotten the other offer yet.
Lo and behold, the offer was much more than what we even discussed during the interview and my hand was even shaking to sign the offer letter.
Immediately I resumed, I was happy I went, because up till date I haven't gotten offer from the other company till now, probably they are still doing some in house things.
But the main point of this whole epistle is u don't need to know anybody to get a job, if u know ur God, u are intellectually rugged, and network with friends and arm yourself with as much information as possible then you will be out of the job search market before u know it.

347 Likes 53 Shares

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by calabaman(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
i agree with u op.

seen it happen before in impossible circumstances, the person without connection makes it more than those with connection.

I applaud ur boldness and intelligence, congrats on the new job

All glory to GOD

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by kesprime(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the advice

3 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by ajasa4link: 4:26pm On Oct 11, 2015
calabaman:
i agree with u op.

seen it happen before in impossible circumstances, the person without connection makes it more than those with connection.

I applaud ur boldness and intelligence, congrats on the new job
Tnx bro.

2 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by 123CarZ(m): 4:26pm On Oct 11, 2015
Claps congrats man
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by ajasa4link: 4:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
kesprime:
Thanks for the advice
U are welcome.... Am glad u find it useful
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by obajoey(m): 4:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
God bless u n bless u again and again in all u do. U know when i saw this post of yours i almost lose interest just because it is lenghty infact i have passed it but something just said to me, oga go back, then i heed to this. Now i just gained something from this.

Jimmy cliff said in his song "u can make it if u really want, but u got to try, try n try".

There is always a way where there seems to be no way.

The foolishness of God is wiser than the wisest of men..

nice one.. Congrat

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 11, 2015
Another success story.... Congrats OP on your new and first job.

In another news prospective corpers check out this free offer
https://www.nairaland.com/2643593/corpers-guide-corpers-story-book

1 Like

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 11, 2015
Another success story.... Congrats OP on your new and first job. This deserves being on front page.
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by OboloMAN: 4:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
Agreed
Congrats Op
F.P material Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by jazinogold(m): 4:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
congrats! insurance
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 11, 2015
U ar Damn rite OP

I'm also a testimony of that

I am gainful employed today

In a Public service job(Fed. Government) I had no connection to....
As a job hunter, I tasked myself with sweepin the internet 24/7
And it provided me wit a lot of offers
Which I thumbed thru till I singled d big fish. This...... And I av never had acause to regret

OP.
I think tis is a good trend
To enlighten job hunters

As a JobHunter u must have e-copies
Of ur C.V., Crendentials, Birth Cert. And passport photo
In ur mail(u can scan them to PDF)
Anytin can come up anytime anyday
Online or offline
Having em as e-copies makes em easily accessible
Once u av a phone dat can browse
U can mail em anytime
And in a situation dat u nid hard copies of em
And the hard copies u av ar faraway
All u av to do is, download em and then print.

With e-copies... U can b anywhere anytime with ur various certificate.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by engrrichie92(m): 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
Lengthy but insightful and inspiring...
Newton's modified first law..."a man would continue to lament,wail,complain,,blame and remain stagnant until he applies FORCES in the right direction"
....you a definition of a graduate which I define as, a problem solver,a man/woman that has being trained to take charge of circumstances and not let circumstances control you,a man/woman that sees obstacles as what they are,an opportunity to be better and a stepping stone to greatness
God bless you op for this piece ...with this level of resilience and determination,I must say this'd obviously your starting point...accept my hearty felicitations on your new Job

15 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Raymondville(m): 5:14pm On Oct 11, 2015
Okk
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by damton(m): 5:14pm On Oct 11, 2015
Good .it's quite inspiring.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by BiggerBangs: 5:15pm On Oct 11, 2015
Congrats
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
Congrats!!
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by yorke1: 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
I know
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by ednut1(m): 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
No mind dem. What most of the so callef connection do. Is to promise and fail

5 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by denisbath(m): 5:17pm On Oct 11, 2015
Asin judas out of the Apostle
omusiliyu:
True talk... Like 1 out of 100.
1%
tpiander:

maybe 0.001% and even at that.
they will soon say people get visas without having any money in any bank account.
please let me know when that happens.
u eh appreciates sumtin gud dat cums sumbdys way so that gud tins may cum ur way.idiot.

1 Like

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Icon4s(m): 5:17pm On Oct 11, 2015
True talk.

It is peeps hu have failed in d attempts and hu have bad result dat blieve u must know some1 to get a job.
They often use dat to console demselve and make pple shift d blame from dem for nt getting a job.

2 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by denisbath(m): 5:17pm On Oct 11, 2015
cool cool
sure tin be say u must dey hardwork oh.congrats op,hardworking ppl like u make me to believe say Nigeria get hope

2 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by denisbath(m): 5:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
coolgreat,michella say sumtin naw D;
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Michellla(f): 5:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
great innovation smiley
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by ignis: 5:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
k
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Aminat508(f): 5:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
shocked
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by LordMecuzy(m): 5:19pm On Oct 11, 2015
I got my 1st job here tru Nairaland..interview was done through phone with a good pay

1 Like

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by omusiliyu(m): 5:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
True talk... Like 1 out of 100.

1%

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by denisbath(m): 5:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Mannylex(m): 5:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
I agree with you OP. Funny thing is I passed out same day with you July 2nd 2015.... During the course of my service year, I always had same reasoning that you needed connections to get jobs, good jobs in Nigeria, but i was wrong. A week after completion of NYSC, I had test invites left and right. I was successful in all and in less than 3 weeks I attended several interviews, did medicals then later attended training school. I had several offers staring me in the face and here I am, without any connection resumed work within a space of 1 month after nysc. Truth is connections help, but you can get jobs without it if you plan early. I started applying for jobs and practicing gmat and shl immediately I began NYSC. Its good to have some sort of fear though, it spurs you to go the extra mile.

By the way some of the jobs I applied for and test/interview hints came via Nairaland. I appreciate this site.

18 Likes

Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by Sunnypar(m): 5:21pm On Oct 11, 2015
good.
Re: Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. by swimcash(m): 5:21pm On Oct 11, 2015
k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2017 Graduate Recruitment At Dangote Group / How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? / Captain N-Power To Catch Beneficiaries Earning From Other Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.