Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) (26110 Views)

UNICAL Students Confronted With "Nigerian Youth Are Lazy" Question In Exam / UNICAL Students Celebrate Their Graduation In Style (phtos/video) / Newly Admitted UNICAL Students Pour Each Other Water To Celebrate (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Etizz: 8:31am On Oct 12, 2015
When I was still a student, immediately I heard there is a protest in skool, I will be so happy because I will use dat great day to rest and sleep enough....

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Oladimejjy(m): 8:31am On Oct 12, 2015
eg
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by misreal(m): 8:31am On Oct 12, 2015
More pics

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by sigiyaya(m): 8:32am On Oct 12, 2015
I don't know why i keep having this feelings that our universities are specially design to keep our youth busy while our politicians keep looting our money and their children study abroad to come back and take over from the fathers when they are physically weak embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by nephemmy(m): 8:32am On Oct 12, 2015
Ehya
E Pele oo.. tongue grin
Stage protest from now till 2mao
Nothing will be done
U better go for ur lectures..lool tongue

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by tommykiwi(m): 8:34am On Oct 12, 2015
Aluta continua ! Ride up guys we dey una back.
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Abatsam111(m): 8:34am On Oct 12, 2015
Protest today, explosion tomorrow, when will this over-aged crawling Nigeria stand?
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by aiksneffects: 8:36am On Oct 12, 2015
misreal:
The students of the university of calabar

""""While those in the in the hostel are living in anguish. No water and power, including absolutely unusable toilets for the females. ..................""

AND YOU WONDER WHY STDs ARE RAMPANT.

When there is no basic hygiene in the female toilets.

CC lalasticlala ishilove
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Orikinla(m): 8:39am On Oct 12, 2015
Meanwhile, UNICAL campus beauty queen Miss Franca Aide made her university proud yesterday at the Special Screening of youngest Nobel Prize winner Malala Yousafzai's groundbreaking documentary film "He Named Me Malala" to celebrate the 2015 United Nations' International Day of the Girl Child at the Silverbird Cinemas, Silverbird Galleria, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Franca Aide speech was applauded by the audience of more than 350 secondary school students and special guests, including Mrs. Sarah Joseph, representative sent by Senator Oluremi Tinubu, with Mr. Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima, Publisher/Editor of Nigerians Report Online and Founder/Executive Director of Girls United Together for Success (GUTS), Mrs. Nneka Osili, CEO, of Kiddies & Brands Company, the coordinator of the secondary schools at the event.

The full speech of Miss Franca Aide.

11TH, OCTOBER, 2015.
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE GIRL CHILD
SPEECH PRESENTED BY FRANCA AIDE.
GIRL RISING AMBASSADOR FOR CALABAR & NATIONAL COORDINATOR GIRLS UNITED TOGETHER FOR SUCCESS (GUTS)
THEME: THE POWER OF ADOLESCENT GIRL VISION FOR 2030

Ban Ki Moon, United Nations Secretary General’s message for international day of the girl child 2015 reads:
The newly adopted sustainable development goals rightly include key targets for greater equality and the empowerment of all women and girls. They offer an opportunity for a global commitment to breaking inter-generational transmission of poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination-and realizing our vision of a life of dignity for all.

The girl child like their male counterparts have the rights to education and skill acquisition, the right to career choice and self actualization. Girl child education becomes pertinent for attainment of national development. In the past, education has not necessarily been a priority for the girl child because of cultural beliefs, poverty and so on. It is believed that the place of the girl child is in her husband’s house, the male was considered to be superior than the girl child in many aspects especially education and that is why in most cases only the male child have access to education. Unfortunately, many people still hold unto this disparity between the female and the male gender.

Since 2012, the United Nations mark 11th October as the International Day of the girl child, the day promotes girls’ human rights, highlights gender equality that remain between girls and boys and addresses the various forms of discrimination and abuse suffered by girls around the world.

UNICEF reported that 67% of the over 10million Nigerian children out of school are girls from poor families who cannot afford to send them to school and majority of them end up as hawkers, prostitutes and victims of sexual harassments on the street, house maids used for child labour. The United Nations Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo opines that, “empowering girls today makes for a prosperous tomorrow”, which reminds me of what Napoleon said “Give me good mothers and I will give you a great Nation”, bringing to bare the essence of educating the girl child that will be a mother tomorrow.

Charles Fourier once said, “One could judge the degree of civilization of a country by the social and political position of its women”. Which leaves me wondering how civilized my beloved country, Nigeria is. In line with the United Nations call for the need for education and empowerment of the girl child necessity is laid on us all to fight for this right because every female child deserves to be educated.
Girls United Together For Success (GUTS) stands with Malala Yousafzai and calls for the GUTSY once who believe they have what it takes to be educated even in the face of adversity and tribulations to say:
Yes I Have the “GUTS” for it.
I have what it takes to be educated

Time has passed when the girl child is segregated and relegated to the kitchen, early marriage and chores; an educated girl child makes an educated home. Starting from the adolescent age, girls have the right to a safe educated and healthy life not only during these critical, formative years but also as they mature into women. If effectively supported during the adolescent years, girls have the potential to change the world, both as empowered girls of today and as tomorrow’s workers, mothers, entrepreneurs, mentors, household heads and political leaders. An investment in realizing the power of adolescent girls upholds their rights today and promises a more equitable and prosperous future, one in which half of humanity is an equal partner in solving the problems of climate change, political conflicts, economic growth, disease prevention and global sustainability.

Time has come for a change, a shift in mindset, poverty can no longer be an hindrance, 67% of the over 10million children out of school are girls, it is time for a change. Girls United Together For Success is resolved to be part of the solution to solve the problem of millions of girls deprived of education in Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, where no fewer than 6.2million girls out of school are being used for widespread child labour, as hawkers and house maids.
I Stand with Malala, GUTS Stand with Malala to say NO!
NO to this wrong
NO to this deprivation-this defect.
We shall strive till we are heard and child labour is no more and equality is seen in all endeavors for both the male and the female children especially in the education sector.
Train a daughter
Train a sister
Train a niece
Train a Nation
Education for all - Everyone, every girl child deserves to be in school to lead and be led. Education is the stepping stone, train one - train all.
I, FRANCA AIDE Stands with MALALA, Education for all.

Thank you very much.

Galaxy TV and NTA, the largest TV Network in Africa were there. Fox Searchlight, Crimson Media and Blue Pictures Film Distribution Limited sponsored the venue and also the popcorn and Coca Cola for all the secondary school students.
The event was supported by The Malala Fund, Fox Searchlight, Crimson Media, Blue Pictures Film Distribution Limited, Nigerians Report Online, Girls United Together for Success (GUTS), Silverbird Group/Silverbird Cinemas, Silverbird TV, JSP Communications Limited, P&G, iREP International Documentary Forum, Freedom Park Lagos, Anyiam Osigwe Foundation, Kiddies & Brands Company, Cool FM, Wazobia FM, Nigerian Info, Galaxy TV, NTA and others. - See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2015/10/he-named-me-malala-attracts-nigerian.html#sthash.cVoLGihN.dpuf

Photo: Miss Franca Aide, National Coordinator of Girls United Together for Success (GUTS) with two of the secondary school girls at the Special Screening of "He Named Me Malala" in Lagos, Nigeria.

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by LexingtonSteele(m): 8:41am On Oct 12, 2015
This is when unity amongst students is @ the peak despite their differences. What y'all need is a lighter and any alcoholic drink to BURN IT DOWN!!!
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by spidey77: 8:44am On Oct 12, 2015
Etizz:
When I was still a student, immediately I heard there is a protest in skool, I will be so happy because I will use dat great day to rest and sleep enough....
And continue sleeping for the next months that studies wud b suspended
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by breezy007(m): 8:45am On Oct 12, 2015
It seems I have a test. Leaves my house. On my way to Unical.
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by hardbody: 8:46am On Oct 12, 2015
Wizzz:
I'm a unical student. At the moment all security men have been locked up by the students......especially the female students cry cheesy

Are they planning on fuuccking them? Why would the malabresses lock the security men? undecided undecided undecided
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 12, 2015
Yeah. I support the protest even though I wont protest.A vacant hostel left vacant unrenovated for years and yet some students dont have a place to lay their heads. Squating with their fellow students and conjesting the whole rooms. The water situation has really been bad for weeks now. Something has to be done.

Malabite reporting LIVE from Malabor fm grin
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by orijodeals: 8:47am On Oct 12, 2015
Malabites and malabresses don vex , they should at least make the news if their so call drs and profs can't seem to make the news in education this days grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by MadCow1: 8:48am On Oct 12, 2015
Officer Akpan dey service the Teargas wey ehn go use solve their crase.

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Etizz: 8:48am On Oct 12, 2015
spidey77:

And continue sleeping for the next month that studies wud b suspended

No Naaaa.... U should know what I meant...... All work n no play stuff...... After all, we are human beings.... Skool nor easy sha.....
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 12, 2015
i hope they dont expell the protesting students.
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Wizzz: 8:50am On Oct 12, 2015
hardbody:

Are they planning on fuuccking them? Why would the malabresses lock the security men? undecided undecided undecided
*singing* if you ask me...
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by spidey77: 8:51am On Oct 12, 2015
Etizz:

No Naaaa.... U should know what I meant...... All work n no play stuff...... After all, we are human beings.... Skool nor easy sha.....
Yes, as well as d 10k damages dat all of them wud pay...from experience, not in wud change tho.....i rioted den, stayed at home for 7 months and still came back to pay d same skull fees + 10k damages
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by nurex01(m): 8:51am On Oct 12, 2015
let me say dis university is among d worst university we have in nigeria. where students will be using money and other parts of d body to obtain a grade. imagine a university student cant speak english language fluently. should dis school be scrapped?
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by chocofizzy(f): 8:53am On Oct 12, 2015
Can someone please give VC's number let me talk sense into his brain? VC and Buhari are far distance brothers.
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by hardbody: 8:53am On Oct 12, 2015
Time changes so fast. I graduated from this University and we had light 24/7 while for the 4 years i spent there, we had water shortage only once and even at that, the school brought in water tankers to all the halls in Malabor to avert any incident. The toilets were so clean especially in the mornings that you could actually spend time there without rushing to go in, deposit and rush out.

The environment was so clean and everything looked so prim and proper.

Today as i read this, I feel very terrible.

I weep for UNICAL
I weep for MALABOR
I weep for Nigerian Students
I weep for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 12, 2015
Mehn Malabites don rubbish this town with hold up@ trekking frm Akim to 8 miles
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Nellybank(m): 8:55am On Oct 12, 2015
U don finish work.... But we are wiser and stronger now.
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Etizz: 8:56am On Oct 12, 2015
spidey77:

Yes, as well as d 10k damages dat all of them wud pay...from experience, not in wud change tho.....i rioted den, stayed at home for 7 months and still came back to pay d same skull fees + 10k damages

grin

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by hardbody: 8:57am On Oct 12, 2015
nurex01:
let me say dis university is among d worst university we have in nigeria. where students will be using money and other parts of d body to obtain a grade. imagine a university student cant speak english language fluently. should dis school be scrapped?

I am almost certain i can teach your father English language and guess what, I graduated from that University. If you are not a bum, visit the University internet site and see for yourself some of the ambassadors from that University. And while at it, I am near certain i can employ and pay you upfront, for a lifetime. Maggot like you generalizing on matters your brain knows nothing about.

Ijiat.

7 Likes

Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by Ayima: 8:59am On Oct 12, 2015
I don't know why i keep having this feelings that our universities are specially designed to keep our youths busy while our politicians keep looting our money and their children study abroad to come back and take over from their fathers when they are physically weak.The ongoing protest in the university Calabar is a shame and a disgrace to Epoke, how on earth can you allow students who have lectures to stay without water and light etc.Nigerian educational system is a comedy, students keep on suffering in the name of going to school.Even some countries that are more poorer than Nigeria gives good and sound education to their citizery. Our Educational system is in a state of quagmire and doldrums, may God help university of Calabar and others.
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by MsRemarkable(f): 9:01am On Oct 12, 2015
Causing unnecessary traffic. Mscheeeew!
Re: UNICAL Students Stage A Peaceful Protest (Photos) by misreal(m): 9:02am On Oct 12, 2015
Lacomus:
Mehn Malabites don rubbish this town with hold up@ trekking frm Akim to 8 miles
;Dyour leg go bend before you reach house.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Army Short Service Commission Aptitude Test Past Questions / Bandits Kidnap Students In Kagara, Niger State / Absu Post-utme Form 2017 Out - Cut Off Mark & Eligibility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.