Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Mama's Perfume - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mama's Perfume (693 Views)

Korean Lady Known As Mama Adaobi Having A Great Time In Her Husband’s Village / Nigerian Man Videos His Baby Mama Harassing His Mother In U.S, & She Sets Him Up / Help Save Mama Kazeem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mama's Perfume by Lionize: 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
And now, memories becloud my sense of presence. As the scent of the perfume filtered into my respiratory system, it evoked my world of the 90s into my consciousness- 1991 to be precise. I can still remember the season we were in- The Harmattan, my best.
As a teenager, I sneaked into my mother’s bedroom in the village. She had gone to the market and so I had the liberty of doing some rummaging for a while. I found what I was looking for, an oval-shaped bottle with a slightly yellowish liquid inside, or was it a colourless liquid in a translucent bottle.
Puff! Puff!! I sprayed the content into my underarms. The smell was strong. I donned a red short and a fur monkey jacket, equipped with my specially carved stick that was a signature to me, I stepped out in a pair of slippers from different parents, both in colour and thickness.
It didn’t matter that I did not wear the perfume to any party or special event where I had to ‘dress to kill’, but it distinguished me from my peers, none of them could afford such luxury. From afar, the harmattan wind announced my presence. I felt good and big, it was Mama’s perfume.
In 2012, while rushing to work one morning, the scent of the same perfume caressed my nostrils. I couldn’t place exactly who wore it as many ladies breezed past me. I wouldn’t have gone sniffing around to hound down the ‘wearer’ either in order not to attract the wrath of passersby. I felt nothing but euphoria.
Later in 2014, Ibifuro, my colleague, smelt the same way to work one morning. As soon as she stepped in, I asked:
“The perfume you wear, the bottle is small and somehow rotund?”
“Yes Sir” she replied.
“What is the name please?”
“Happiness”
Bingo!
I didn’t need any other description as the scent did the entire job.
March 2015, Mama came visiting. I ordered for a bottle of “Happiness Perfume” from a store around Education Bus stop, Mile 1. When I got home, I presented it to Mama. She appreciated the gift, but not with any special attachment.
I probed her a bit and to my disappointment, Mama did not remember anything about the perfume. She used perfumes randomly then, but I think she used “happiness” a little more than others. I told her how I used to steal her perfume in those days and it cracked her up.
This morning, Mama woke up in my house. When I went to say “good morning’ in her room, I saw a bottle of happiness in her bag on the table. This time, I didn’t need to steal it, I asked. She smile and nodded.
Puff! Puff!! I directed the nozzle at my underarms once more and went into my room.
When I was set to leave, my suit in hand, I went in once more and asked. Mama smiled once again.
Puff! Puff!! I directed the nozzle on the shoulders of the jacket and off I went to work. All through the drive to the office, the feeling and thought was homewards.
Even right now in the office, I am living my life in the 90s, harmattan keeping my skin very dry, with a thin film of Vaseline over my lips, swiping the slippers under my feet on dry leaves.
I’ll buy a bottle of ‘happiness’ and keep for myself after Mama leaves so I could take a puff off it once in a while. It would forever remind me of Mama.

I love my Mama.

http://www.obitteleo..com.ng/

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Greater: The Blessing Of A Father Or Grandmother / Meet Parent Expecting Their 19th Child / 'how My Naija Husband Saved Me From My Mum' - Kenyan Woman Writes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.