Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,725 members, 7,851,481 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:27 PM

Housemaid Petitions Bankole Over Alleged Assault By Lawmaker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Housemaid Petitions Bankole Over Alleged Assault By Lawmaker (676 Views)

Dokpesi Shielded In Detention To Avert Assault By Inmates / Petitions Can't Stop Amaechi's Screening And Confirmation - Senate / Ezekwesili Knocks Al-makura Over Alleged Assault On Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Housemaid Petitions Bankole Over Alleged Assault By Lawmaker by DKNYtruth(m): 7:59pm On Apr 27, 2009
A housemaid, Lydia Elisha, has petitioned the Speaker, House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, over alleged torture and humiliation meted out to her by the Nigeria Police personnel on the orders of a member of the House, Henry Shawulu (PDP-Taraba).

In a three-page petition written through her counsel, Tom Metu of Peace Chambers, Abuja, and made available to newsmen in Abuja on Sunday, Elisha said Shawulu accused her of stealing N40,000 in his house at EFAB Estate, Abuja, and ordered the police to manhandle her.

According to the petition, Elisha claimed that the lawmaker took her initially to EFAB Estate police station where she was detained between April 5 to April 9, 2009 before transferring her to Life Camp police station, where she was almost tortured to death.

Narrating her ordeal in the hands of the Divisional Crime Officer, Lydia said, "I was handcuffed, tortured and taken to a hidden corner outside the Police building in a container where I was asked to agree that I stole the money."

Elisha said that her refusal to agree to the police request earned her more torture and humiliation as her boss directed and watched her being dehumanised.

"The Investigation Police Officer (IPO) implored me to agree that I stole the money to avoid further punishment. I refused. He therefore poured tear gas powder on me after soaking my body with water. My body, breast and private part was severely burnt that I was unable to sit down with buttocks for days," she said.

The housemaid said a lawyer, Teslim Agboola, who came to assist in securing her release on bail was equally assaulted by the police officers as they threatened to beat him up.

"I want to state categorically that I never stole any money from Hon. Henry Shawulu's home. I decided I would no longer tolerate the abuses, curses and insults from Shawulu's wife and children," she said.

Elisha, a 22-year-old girl from Kanke in Plateau State was engaged by Shawulu on November 14, 2008 as housemaid on N12,000 monthly salary before it was recently increased to N15,000 due to her diligence and hardwork.

The girl, through her counsel, had threatened to sue the lawmaker and claimed damages for the brutality, humiliation and violation of her fundamental human rights by Shawulu.

The maid, who is still receiving treatment at a private clinic due to severe burns and injuries she sustained, said she still have her mobile telephone, purse and a pair of shoes in the custody of Life Camp police station.

When contacted on telephone, Shawulu, who represents Jalingo/Yorro/Zing Federal Constituency of Taraba State claimed ignorance of the matter but later asked; "Where did you get that story?"

"I am not aware of what you are saying. Who are your witnesses? You have no evidence to proof what you are saying?" he said in a telephone interview with our correspondent.

Insisting further on getting his own side of the story, he consistently said he was not aware of the incident but asked for the sources of the story.

Both the Lady Divisional Crime officer at Life Camp Police Station and the IPO in charge of the case have confirmed the incident but denied the alleged tortured.

An eye witness, simply called Olatubosun, narrated how the girl was allegedly brutalised on the orders of Shawulu, who personally supervised the torture.

Olatubosun told our correspondent that all pleas by him and other sympathisers at the police station fell into the lawmaker's deaf ears as he insisted that he would force her to pay the alleged stolen N40, 000.

The witness said he heard the lawmaker saying Lydia was very hard working and was the only maid who stayed beyond a month with his wife, but would make sure she coughed out the money to the police. [/b] [/color]

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nairaland Modify My Posting. / Scams/frauds/corruption - Nigerian Leaders / As They Say, ''thunder Don Fire This Man''. Hahahahahahah!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.