Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,589 members, 7,958,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:30 AM

Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate (69929 Views)

N19bn Paris Club Scam: EFCC Report Indicts Saraki, Aides, Ex-bank MD / June 2012 - Gov Fashola Indicts Lai Muhammeds Knightsbridge For Illegal Dredging / Ministerial Screening: Amaechi In Make Or Mar Visit To Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by blazetitov: 9:53pm On Oct 14, 2015
boujaye:
I dont expect dat statement from u. op is on track, indeed fashola indicted himself, is he claiming ignorance over the ridiculous contract sum? is he saying all is well becos he doesn,t sign cheques? fashola pls tell us how much was your share? from d senate screening i wept for nigeria, because i discovered that corruption in d political class is normal provided u can give a good lie.

Bros, wetin you want make I talk again?

We all should assist PMB in fighting corruption. I believe the OP will get smthing tangible as evidence if he can devote the same amount of energy he uses in posting all the long essays he had been feeding us with on Nairaland in investigating BRF.
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by agabaI23(m): 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2015
Thank you Tonyebarcanista

I was wondering the kind of insincere guys we have here....
They justify a proven crime with a speculated crime

Forfucksake, the books have shown and even the APC showed that Fashiola committed this sin but they would see nothing wrong in it. they would rather call for the head of Deziani that has nothing proven against her. In fact, Kachikwu was all praises for her local content programme...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Dandeson1(m): 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista is a corrupt fellow...

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by dammytosh: 9:55pm On Oct 14, 2015
izzyu:

what are you talkling? rooms for you and your tinibu discipleship colleagues.

Apparently u are a newbie on nairaland.

Click ur like button and get lost. M0r0n
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by bomsilaga(m): 9:56pm On Oct 14, 2015
basty:

You are a daft wailer. Can you compare Fashola to Oduah.
Idiotic bush fellow.

Make sense first before insults.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by otukpo(f): 9:56pm On Oct 14, 2015
I was highly disppointed at the way some nigerian were applauding faahola for his response to the website cpntracr question. And to think that these people applauding hin claims to have basic education makes me doubt if there is really any hope for Nigeria.

@ Op, I agree with you completely.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by babafirst(m): 9:58pm On Oct 14, 2015
Tonye,for the first time on Nairaland I agree with you,BRF's defence on the website scam was watery ,a disastrous washout and an insult on our collective intelligence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by philips70(m): 9:59pm On Oct 14, 2015
Tonyebarcanista, you are learning a job. When you are perfect at it, try channel it elsewhere and it will fetch you more relaxed money devoid of headaches. You will never be logical and objective when you use it for politics because whether anybody likes it or not you will always be partisan and tiny minded.
At the end of the day, many things you think you know and analyse, you end up knowing nothing about them. That is the lot of many critics, especially those who do it as a profitable venture. You can't mix being a critic and being a politician, it will never work.

3 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by godoluwa(m): 10:00pm On Oct 14, 2015
TIMEISWISDOM:
I watched in awe as Nigerians especially the educated youths were celebrating the ignorance of the senators and irresponsibility of Fashola.

I have always said it that Nigerians greatest problem remains poor educational system that churns out half baked graduates who can barely make rational decisions.
No wonder the ruling class will always tell us to our face that we are not yet ready to take over leadership.
Once he is our tribesmen, or on the good side of the majority in our immediate environment, we swallow whatever the said person offers hook, line and sinker without any thought.

The coming generation of Nigerians leaders could be far worse than the present!
God bless you
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by emmatok(m): 10:00pm On Oct 14, 2015
sammhi:

you must be a person of very low intelligence. what this guys is doing is what all the youths should be doing ...putting good research on pubic issues...researches are for all to know and hold a public officer to scrutiny. if most of the Nigerian youths are like this, then each governor etc will sit up
but we all like to keep quiet so that we can lick the crumbs falling from the table or we are so intellectually lazy nothing can be offered as a counter
In sane societies, fasola will go jail not being rewarded with ministerial appointment ...thief is thief whether you steal billions or millions

In sane country all our politicians will go to jail.

But since you people singled-out Fashola and Fayemi due to your Bigoted sentiments, you successfully deflate your argument.

That is why people don't take TonyeBarcanista and his Minions post serious anymore, because they always argues from thier personal sentiments.

You hardly find any neutral post on NL.

6 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Ofeakwu(m): 10:01pm On Oct 14, 2015
ibedun:
If only this OP and his ilks would concentrate their efforts on the Eastern States, they might have a home to go to, instead of constituting nuisance and miscreants in Lagos state.

Oduah must pay for her crime.

Get lost,!!!
Ewu!, u call lagos ur home!, lagos that is no mans' land.......imbe!
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Nobody: 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
At the ministerial screening earlier today ex-Lagos state governor Raji Fashola was asked a direct question regarding the N78million appropriated for the building of personal website. Here was Fashola's response...

While we all agree that award of contract is an Institutional process, FASHOLA refused to tell the Senate that the process is only finalised when the relevant commissioner in charge of the affected ministry append his/her signature as prescribed by Section 30(5) of Lagos State Public procurement Law (2011) which Fashola signed into law... In fact subsection 5 was very clear...

30.— (1)   There is established by this Law in each of the State’s Ministry, Extra-ministerial Office/Department/Agency, Parastatal, Corporation, a Tenders’ Board.

(2)   Subject to the approval of the Board, the Agency shall from time to time prescribe the membership of the Tenders’ Board.

(3)   The Tenders’ Board shall have power to award and be responsible for the procurements of goods, works and services within the benchmark set in the Regulations to this Law.

(4)   In all cases where there is a need for pre-qualifications, the Chairman of the Tenders’ Board shall constitute a technical evaluation subcommittee of the Tenders’ Board charged with the responsibility for the evaluation of bids which shall be made up of professional staff of the procuring entity and the Secretary of the Tenders Board who shall also be the Chairman of the Evaluation subcommittee.

(5)   The decision of the Tenders’ Board shall be communicated to the Commissioner for implementation.
(EMPHASIS Mine)
http://www.lagosppa.gov.ng/ppa-law/tenders’-boards

Fashola Indicts Himself:
From the section (SPECIFICALLY subsection 5) it is expressly clear that the Fashola's administration through the affected Commissioner 'okayed' the contract to be awarded at that RIDICULOUS amount. We should also note that Commissioners are not elected but appointed by Governors and they report to Governors. That means the affected Commissioner must have reported the said contract to then Governor Fashola while reporting the activities of his ministry to his boss.

Looking at the defence that Fashola put up and placing it side by side with procedure, two things can be deduced;

1. Fashola was aware of the whole thing but deliberately LIED before the Senate to cover his track. He was fully aware of the deal. The job of the Commissioner is to ensure that contracts by the Tender Board is in the public interest. His/her signature is a testament of endorsement. Fashola as briefed but deliberately refused to revoke nor question the contract. In fact, he was silent about it until Ambode raised alarm. OR

2. Fashola was not aware thereby making him complacent of his duties as governor of Lagos state. If this is true (which is doubtful), then we beg to ask how many more inflated contracts went undetected by the Governor? This second is a statement of incompetence.

Both 1 and 2 are indicting if we look at them from any angle..

The 'I Never Signed Chequ' Holds No Water
The Fashola's 'I never signed cheque' statement is untenable anywhere. No Governor or Presidents signs cheque for the award of contract in Nigeria. There are Accountants that effect payment. What is required of the political officers is to APPROVE contracts for the Accountants to issue cheques. So why should Fashola use that as defence? Let me also remind all that NO Governor or President 'steal' or inflate contracts directly! The process to loot has always been INFLATION of contracts through relevant Commissioners/D-Gs etc.

It is however unfortunate that the Senate FAILED to ask relevant question but instead nod their heads in ignorance. It is very shameful that the same Nigerians that called for the head of Princess Stella Oduah over the N260million vehicle were singing Fashola's praise for the shabby defence that he put up.

May God Bless Us All
I can't concur with you on this. I'm a lagosian, to the core. Fashola, as a thoroughbred lawyer and anti corruption campaigner, who instructed that for the sake of transparency, all the projects executed with taxpayers money be published online, couldn't have been so foolish to allow( if at all he cossented to it) such ridiculous and highly inflated contracts to be displayed online. We all could remember what he did to Ambode, back in the days while in office. If truly you listened to the screening exercise conducted by the senate today when Fashola was responding to the sen abaribe's questions, he stressed on loyalty and all of a sudden the camera captured sen. remi tinubu's face. The company that executed most of those projects which were highly inflated was Deux Project . This company is partially owned by tinubu. Other companies mentioned in the contracts were owned by tinubu's associates. We lagosians knew how hard Fashola wrestled with tinubu and his associates on uncompleted contracts, when those associates were asking for full pay when the contracts were yet to be completed which almost cost Fashola the second term bid. At some point, fashola withdrew some of those contracts and sued some of them to court. Lastly, fashola wasn't tinubu's preferred ministerial candidate but buhari said he preferred him and as president, he has the right to appoint who will work with him. My friend, you're simply entitled to your opinion, just like everybody else . I urge you listen to channels 10pm news for the news recap and hear Fashola speak. Please listen to his emphasis on LOYALTY and the way he put it to the senators in the house.

5 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by godoluwa(m): 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2015
basty:

You are a daft wailer. Can you compare Fashola to Oduah. Idiotic bush fellow.
your brain is malfunction. incorrigible bloody tribalist
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by godoluwa(m): 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2015
basty:

You are a daft wailer. Can you compare Fashola to Oduah. Idiotic bush fellow.
your brain is malfunction. incorrigible bloody tribalist
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by justmenoni: 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2015
You are so right...just like one ex governor said that they loot because we don't stone them and another one said if they vote him in Kogi he is gonna return 10billion out of the money he stole...who says such a statement in a sane environment

TIMEISWISDOM:
I watched in awe as Nigerians especially the educated youths were celebrating the ignorance of the senators and irresponsibility of Fashola.

I have always said it that Nigerians greatest problem remains poor educational system that churns out half baked graduates who can barely make rational decisions.
No wonder the ruling class will always tell us to our face that we are not yet ready to take over leadership.
Once he is our tribesmen, or on the good side of the majority in our immediate environment, we swallow whatever the said person offers hook, line and sinker without any thought.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Tycoflu(m): 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2015
Oga TB nawa oh! You still find fault in this uncommon screening that everyone including most wailers were marveled by Mr. Fash. response. This is just a confirmation that you are a sadist that will never see anything good in people.

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by mayorkyzo: 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2015
The most painful thing with this thread is that some people would tag the op a wailer...smh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by tuzle(m): 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2015
i weep for my country. Some People will even defend the devil

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2015
Some people will commit suicide because of Tonyebarcanista and the popularity he is gaining. Other writers even refer to his posts.
I won't be suprised to see this article in the papers tomorrow. Thumbs up tonye,thumbs up!

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by illiad: 10:05pm On Oct 14, 2015
ibedun:
If only this OP and his ilks would concentrate their efforts on the Eastern States, they might have a home to go to, instead of constituting nuisance and miscreants in Lagos state.

Oduah must pay for her crime.

Get lost,!!!

Neither before nor after the coming of the yorubas Has a worser Hypocrite walked the earth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by dned: 10:06pm On Oct 14, 2015
Why d hype abt Kemi Adeosun?

I have nothing against her...she did not explain the question if she would advice PMB to borrow funds from the capital market to finance the economy. She is good and intelligent but the task of running the ministry of finance is not for her. Skipped some sensitive questions asked from the senator from Lagos.

I like Fashola but his defence of on the 78m website is not sufficient. Only an illiterate will believe he don't know about the contract. Abaribe really grilled him as he said "simple questions turn out to become the most difficult" I pray PMB should not 'test his loyalty'

Yes he has before today apologized for deportation of other Nigerians from Lagos he should learn not to be a yoruba man but a Nigerian as a federal minister.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by blackpriest0911: 10:07pm On Oct 14, 2015
Wailing wailers
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by babafirst(m): 10:08pm On Oct 14, 2015
“I don’t fix contract prices, it is an
institutional process . The only training I have is that of a lawyer... As Governor of Lagos I didn’t sign cheques. I’ve never signed cheques, I didn't fix contract prices”-Own comment -An irresponsible defense coming from a SAN .Continue like this and our no-nonsense Baba will soon fire you as a minister.PMB must succeed and we don't need no liars and crooks around him.
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by aftatechbiz(m): 10:09pm On Oct 14, 2015
Dorrobucci:

Why are some nigerians especially APC zombies keeps displaying their brazen stupidity and foolishness in this Lord lugards country?

Politicians keeps stealing your money yet you people foolishly supports them. Are you not a fool? Most of those idiots defending these politicians are so poor that they can't even change their dirty old boxers and panties.

Keep supporting these criminals and watch how you will leave this world a poor man. Ediots!!!

Infact, this is why i hate to comment here on NL on issues like this. Sometimes you wonder the kind of environment you find yourself with the way people support public fund looters in the name of ethnic, political and religious sentiments. Do people here think that when governors wants to steal public funds they will just go to bank and withdraw money. They do it through contract influation etc. Does he know that such a website exists? If he knows, does he not know how much they spent on it? If he knows, can he spend his personal N78M to build a website? Unless you want to tell me he doesn't know what was going on under his government.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by HomoSapiien: 10:09pm On Oct 14, 2015
peppyluv02:
Some people will commit suicide because of Tonyebarcanista and the popularity he is gaining. Other writers even refer to his posts.
I won't be suprised to see this article in the papers tomorrow. Thumbs up tonye,thumbs up!

Fool, which paper??
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by jacobstring123: 10:11pm On Oct 14, 2015
I just discovered that this tonye guy is jobless, one day he is going to wake up to a new Nigeria and yet he won't know it, very soon I guess
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 14, 2015
The guy will still be minister weather uyou like it or not, this is the Nigeria we all live in. Corrupt peaple still walk the streets untouched
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Blackheritage: 10:14pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
At the ministerial screening earlier today ex-Lagos state governor Raji Fashola was asked a direct question regarding the N78million appropriated for the building of personal website. Here was Fashola's response...

While we all agree that award of contract is an Institutional process, FASHOLA refused to tell the Senate that the process is only finalised when the relevant commissioner in charge of the affected ministry append his/her signature as prescribed by Section 30(5) of Lagos State Public procurement Law (2011) which Fashola signed into law... In fact subsection 5 was very clear...

30.— (1)   There is established by this Law in each of the State’s Ministry, Extra-ministerial Office/Department/Agency, Parastatal, Corporation, a Tenders’ Board.

(2)   Subject to the approval of the Board, the Agency shall from time to time prescribe the membership of the Tenders’ Board.

(3)   The Tenders’ Board shall have power to award and be responsible for the procurements of goods, works and services within the benchmark set in the Regulations to this Law.

(4)   In all cases where there is a need for pre-qualifications, the Chairman of the Tenders’ Board shall constitute a technical evaluation subcommittee of the Tenders’ Board charged with the responsibility for the evaluation of bids which shall be made up of professional staff of the procuring entity and the Secretary of the Tenders Board who shall also be the Chairman of the Evaluation subcommittee.

(5)   The decision of the Tenders’ Board shall be communicated to the Commissioner for implementation.
(EMPHASIS Mine)
http://www.lagosppa.gov.ng/ppa-law/tenders’-boards

Fashola Indicts Himself:
From the section (SPECIFICALLY subsection 5) it is expressly clear that the Fashola's administration through the affected Commissioner 'okayed' the contract to be awarded at that RIDICULOUS amount. We should also note that Commissioners are not elected but appointed by Governors and they report to Governors. That means the affected Commissioner must have reported the said contract to then Governor Fashola while reporting the activities of his ministry to his boss.

Looking at the defence that Fashola put up and placing it side by side with procedure, two things can be deduced;

1. Fashola was aware of the whole thing but deliberately LIED before the Senate to cover his track. He was fully aware of the deal. The job of the Commissioner is to ensure that contracts by the Tender Board is in the public interest. His/her signature is a testament of endorsement. Fashola as briefed but deliberately refused to revoke nor question the contract. In fact, he was silent about it until Ambode raised alarm. OR

2. Fashola was not aware thereby making him complacent of his duties as governor of Lagos state. If this is true (which is doubtful), then we beg to ask how many more inflated contracts went undetected by the Governor? This second is a statement of incompetence.

Both 1 and 2 are indicting if we look at them from any angle..

The 'I Never Signed Chequ' Holds No Water
The Fashola's 'I never signed cheque' statement is untenable anywhere. No Governor or Presidents signs cheque for the award of contract in Nigeria. There are Accountants that effect payment. What is required of the political officers is to APPROVE contracts for the Accountants to issue cheques. So why should Fashola use that as defence? Let me also remind all that NO Governor or President 'steal' or inflate contracts directly! The process to loot has always been INFLATION of contracts through relevant Commissioners/D-Gs etc.

It is however unfortunate that the Senate FAILED to ask relevant question but instead nod their heads in ignorance. It is very shameful that the same Nigerians that called for the head of Princess Stella Oduah over the N260million vehicle were singing Fashola's praise for the shabby defence that he put up.

May God Bless Us All
Oga leave all this stupid analysis, we know who u are n who u work for. Respect to jagaban, when it comes media n publicity. But bobo Fashola has more supporters n people love him, irrespective of d propaganda we stand by him. Though all thieves are thief but we will chose one thief ahead d others....
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 14, 2015
alexlee50:
Op in addition to all you have said, he used state funds to develop a personal website.he just confessed to abuse of office and corruption. In saner climes he would have been rejected as minister but I have already seen comments of some blind people singing his praise. I weep for Nigeria. What manner of change have we got?
It's like being a Goal keeper, No matter how many shots you save, people will always remember the ones you missed.

Now I'm not saying Fashi is a saint. I'm just asking you, be honest. Didn't Fashola perform

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by MyMouth(m): 10:18pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

My brother, I was virtually dumb while watching the charade of screening. I had to change the TV channel to something more productive.
So u no even watch the confirmation finish? And u get mouth to come spew rubbish here? Smh

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by anytexy: 10:19pm On Oct 14, 2015
TIMEISWISDOM:

My broda, I weep for this nation. Some time I feel like getting cane and start whipping some people. SMH
Re: Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate by darmiee1(m): 10:20pm On Oct 14, 2015
kinibigdeal:

He indict himself twice. It was laughable when he said "some contractor usually change their contract sum, if after fixing a price, they discover that what is on site is different from what they quote". This is one of the most silly defence, once a contract price is agreed upon, you cannot alter or change the contract sum except otherwise. Under section 2.1 of the condition of contract, any contractor that failed to carry out a feasibility study before quoting a price is liable. Anyway, he still gave a good account of himself irrespective of is contradictions.

And you just quoted all what Fashola said on that situation

Anyways, we know your kinds. You choose the phrases you think will give you morals for accusations. I wonder if you're being tribalistic or mere ignorant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

A Boy Sleeping On A Pile Of Dirt In The North. Photo Goes Viral / Precious Chikwendu Gets PDP Political Appointment / See Adams Oshiomhole's Children And Grandchildren At The Governor's Wedding(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.