Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,834 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Double Standards In The Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Double Standards In The Church? (1851 Views)

What Made You Fall In Love With The Church You're Worshipping? / Islam Is A Religion Of Double Standards, Trickery And Espionage. / Jesus Warning Against Double Standards! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Double Standards In The Church? by Swaginton(m): 10:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
Like many other Nigerian Christians, I grew up in a very strict and orthodox Christian environment. Wearing trousers for ladies were (and still is although not as strict as it was back then) practically outlawed. A guy wearing earrings in the church was like a homosexual man living in Zimbabwe. This were the things we grew up with , the very tenets we go absorbed into. In the church , 2 Corinthians 6:14 was more of a rule with no exception but in this present age where people are more passionate about gay rights than peace in the middle East, a torrent of changes have swept through the Christian community like the harmattan blowing from the Sahara across West Africa .
While I would not delve into the argument of whether these practices are wholly justifiable or not, there seems to be a trend of double standards in the church . It is rather necessary to ask ourselves why the church frowns on tattoos and men wearing earrings and the occasional cliché 'unequally yoked with unbelievers', to mention a few but then the same people who sing edifying songs to us have these tattoos and body piercings. Am talking from lecrae who has tattoos and pierced ears to Deitrick Haddon Even our own Kingdom singers are not left out of this traditional anomaly. Tim Godfrey recently made a track with a secular artiste and has consistently featured secular artists in his videos. Also, Frank Edwards who hustled to take a picture with 2face at a concert sometime in February(oh you didn't know) has collaborated with MI, Oritsefemi and j martins. Is this a case of double standards, or are we now to turn a blind eye to this and then say 'see it doesn't matter what they do with their lives just be blessed with the wonderful ministrations from their lips?.
We should not forget that the only thing that is universal is not football but TRUTH. You cannot bend it to your convenience. The truth doesnt change! How is it that the very second you get a tattoo or plait your hair(as a guy) or as in some other churches, leave your hair uncovered you are automatically blacklisted as a rebel but the same people who take us to lofty celestial heights are 'guilty' of these same 'sins' yet it is ignored. It reeks of moral negligence because a practice cannot be right in America or amongst our own local Artistes/Ministers and simultaneously be wrong in our local churches so who is wrong and who is right. If on one hand we say it is right to get tattoos or body piercings then why do Christians who do it in this part of the world get ostracised and victimised? If on the other hand it is wrong, then why do we ignore the fact that these ministers of God are doing the wrong things yet wave it off with 'forget his lifestyle just get blessed with his ministrations'. Let us not forget that these ministers not only show our their latest records , they show us their lifestyles and people get influenced by them. In this age and time, a man with data and an Instagram account could be more influential than a preacher with a table sized bible. Christianity has nothing to do with confusion and double standards so the sooner we clear the table and universally set things straight, the better for our collective Christian race. If not the church itself might be sending more people to hell than the devil himself.

Re: Double Standards In The Church? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 17, 2015
Unfortunately,the church has been 'modernized' by 'modern' day 'believer'! Even SOME churches' leaders are NOT left out in it. Christianity should be more of a personal race NOT that of imitating somebody's! Read and obey ONLY what you see in your bible and NOT what your 'pastor' says that has no biblical backings!

1 Like

Re: Double Standards In The Church? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 17, 2015
Sometimes I ask: what is the difference between a Christian and a "worldly' person, when they dress, talk and walk alike?

1 Like

Re: Double Standards In The Church? by tpiander: 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2015
I have to say, I'm not familiar with any of these people you mentioned.

Who is the scary looking person in the last picture though?

And the one before that?
Re: Double Standards In The Church? by Swaginton(m): 11:26pm On Oct 17, 2015
tpiander:
I have to say, I'm not familiar with any of these people you mentioned.

Who is the scary looking person in the last picture though?

And the one before that?
the second to the last guy is to gospel rap in America what Ali Baba is to comedy. The last man is a very popular singer and pastor.i am surprised you do not know them
Re: Double Standards In The Church? by menesheh(m): 1:47am On Oct 18, 2015
vfactor:
Sometimes I ask: what is the difference between a Christian and a "worldly' person, when they dress, talk and walk alike?

There is no different, only the ideology that is in their brain. That's all.

All will live and die and replicate their gene.
Re: Double Standards In The Church? by DebbyChris(f): 6:26am On Oct 18, 2015
You are right the church has left the right path and they are busy following the devil, especially our musicians anyway the devil was once a chorister and when he was sent away from heaven he didn't come alone and thats the same thing he is doing today, setting confusion among chorister/musician. No wonder during message you will hardly find them inside especially the instrumentalists. God has to help the church.

(1) (Reply)

Being Born Again Is Not Decisional. / How Long Does It Take For Prayers To Be Answered? / Assemblies Of God Leadership Tussle: Supreme Court Judgment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.